• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
mannysBETTER3434

NHL and ESPN talking

Rate this topic

Sorry if this has been posted, but I don't visit much in the summer. The NHL needs this whether you like ESPN or not. The NBA could be on the downfall with the possible point shaving scandel, and declining final ratings. With young stars like Crosby, and an american player in Kane I think this could be the perfect time for general sports fans to start loving hockey again!

http://www.sportsbusinessjournal.com/index...uestTimeout=900

At least Versus showed every Wings playoff game. ESPN won't show 2 playoff games a night, they have too many other illegitimate interests.

Like what, the NBA playoffs? How dare they show something that more people watch!

Guest snowman89

Finally Betman might be doing somethinge not completely stupid.....

Sounds like he might be channeling David Stern to help negotiate a decent TV deal.

At least Versus showed every Wings playoff game. ESPN won't show 2 playoff games a night, they have too many other illegitimate interests.

and of all broadcasters I saw Versus was least anti-Wing. sure, they're no saints, but compared

to HNIC or usual old Mullet's grudge, VS was incredibly fair.

ESPN is better than nothing but it's not exactly the pinnacle of hockey broadcast :)

In a way, he had it backwards. The NHL came forward to ESPN, not ESPN being "desperate" to have the NHL back.

EXACTLY! The notion that ESPN was desperate for the NHL made Eklund's article look foolish. Now maybe this time, even when ESPN doesnt offer the NHL any money to show their games, Bettman will do the right thing and still take it.

Like what, the NBA playoffs? How dare they show something that more people watch!

That's exactly what I mean. Even if they do bring hockey back, it won't get much recognition on their network, so why would the league even bother? Oh and by the way, the last time I checked, nobody watched the NBA finals either.

Guest nutz2u

Versus pisses me off cuz I hardly ever got to my man Mickey Redmund. Mickey is funny as hell and IMISSED him. :crybaby:

That's exactly what I mean. Even if they do bring hockey back, it won't get much recognition on their network, so why would the league even bother? Oh and by the way, the last time I checked, nobody watched the NBA finals either.

Last time i checked, game 4 of the NBA Finals got around a 6.2....compared to a 1.2 i believe for game 5 of the NHL Finals. While basketball was way down, thats still like 5x the hockey audience! Yep, you've got a strong point there! If that constitutes as an "illegitimate sport", what the hell does that make hockey.... which is what, the #6 sport these days?

You dont like ESPN because they dropped hockey....thats fine and dandy, but trying to attack their other programming and arguing that hockey should be shown in its place is totally silly. Especially when that program is WAY more popular. From what the article says, it sounds like Versus will continue showing games, they would just have to give up the exclusivity right. ESPN showing 1 game every 2 weeks is still better than nothing, especially if Versus continues to show it. Where's the harm?

Insert overdramatized ESPN sucks post b/c they don't pay attention to hockey enough *HERE*

As for me personally, I could care less what station games are being broadcasted on, as long as they are broadcasted somewhere. Hell, Game Show Network, Cartoon Network, I don't care.

I like the coverage on Versus. They've given hockey a lot of more personalized attention than ESPN in recent years, showing hockey movies at times, etc. While I don't really pay much attention to commentary during games and the like, I just watch the games for the action on the ice, they haven't seemed to be doing bad at all.

If the NHL can get back on ESPN though, do it. More availble viewing audience, etc. etc., as much good as Versus has been to the NHL these last 2 seasons.

Hopefully, I don't know how much more of Versus I can take...

Why not? What's wrong with Versus?

Last time i checked, game 4 of the NBA Finals got around a 6.2....compared to a 1.2 i believe for game 5 of the NHL Finals. While basketball was way down, thats still like 5x the hockey audience! Yep, you've got a strong point there! If that constitutes as an "illegitimate sport", what the hell does that make hockey.... which is what, the #6 sport these days?

You dont like ESPN because they dropped hockey....thats fine and dandy, but trying to attack their other programming and arguing that hockey should be shown in its place is totally silly. Especially when that program is WAY more popular. From what the article says, it sounds like Versus will continue showing games, they would just have to give up the exclusivity right. ESPN showing 1 game every 2 weeks is still better than nothing, especially if Versus continues to show it. Where's the harm?

Well the Spurs were going for the sweep and if they were to win I believe they would have been concidered a "Dynasty", I mean I'm not sure how the other ratings were but just saying that the spurs are pretty popular, not to mention lebron james was in his first appearance in the finals plus they were going for the sweep.

Well the Spurs were going for the sweep and if they were to win I believe they would have been concidered a "Dynasty", I mean I'm not sure how the other ratings were but just saying that the spurs are pretty popular, not to mention lebron james was in his first appearance in the finals plus they were going for the sweep.

On the contrary, the Spurs are actually a ratings killer because of their defensive non flash style of play and lack of star power. Also, the game's were poor. It sounds like you're trying to make a case of why the NBA ratings were higher, but in actuality, this was I believe the lowest rated NBA FInals ever.

That's because the Spurs are boring.

I hate it when people are so delerious to the fact that the NHL is not very popular, and yet they still criticize ESPN for showing something more popular that people will watch. I don't get it.

Also: before you mention things like eating contests and dominoes or whatever: those are on during the daytime hours when hockey isn't being played. You can't say those shows are stealing the NHL, because as far as I know, hockey usually isn't played at 3:00 PM on a Tuesday.

...and just to clarify, I hate ESPN. I just think the criticism as far as the NHL is involved is stupid. The NHL is not very popular, so you really can't blame the network for wanting to show the NBA instead, which *gasp* is more popular.

ESPN wouldn't take Versus programming, it'd take NBC's games. Not to mention, ESPN isn't going to bring back NHL 2 night or anything and if you check the ratings, Versus is doing just as well as ESPN 2 was doing when they had it before.

On the contrary, the Spurs are actually a ratings killer because of their defensive non flash style of play and lack of star power. Also, the game's were poor. It sounds like you're trying to make a case of why the NBA ratings were higher, but in actuality, this was I believe the lowest rated NBA FInals ever.

Well I wasn't sure if he chose game 4 for a reason, because game 4 was much higher than game 3 2 or 1, and if it was, I would suspect it was for the reasons I've made.