• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Reds4Life

Goaltending

Rate this topic

I was wondering what you guys think..Who will be our no.1 goalie next season?

Assuming Hasek retires, should Ozzie take over and be no.1 with Howard as no.2 or should Kenny try to bring in someone else?

Edited by Reds4Life

i dont feel comfortable with osgood as a starter. i remember in 99 00 and 01 he couldnt handle his own against patrick roy and the avalanche.

Well, Osgood played different back then, and the Avs were an equally talented team.

I say Osgood pretty much has to be our starter next year, if he can perform in the playoffs. Bigger risks have been taken in the past. Howard could be our number 2, or we could trade him for someone else, because from all I've seen Howard is another bust like Grigorenko.

Well, Hasek's cap hit is 4mil plus we have 5mil cap space, we need to sign Zetterberg (although his cap hit for next season is only 2.9 mil), Filpulla and Cleary will demand more money..

Another UFAs are: Lilja, Chelios, but those could be signed for same money they are making now..

I think we just will not have enough money to bring in some elite goaltender.

It'll be really interesting, but I think Kenny'll do just fine :)

Edited by Reds4Life

Well, Hasek's cap hit is 4mil plus we have 5mil cap space, we need to sign Zetterberg (although his cap hit for next season is only 2.9 mil), Filpulla and Cleary will demand more money..

Another UFAs are: Lilja, Chelios, but those could be signed for same money they are making now..

I think we just will not have enough money to bring in some elite goaltender.

It'll be really interesting, but I think Kenny'll do just fine :)

Keep in mind that Hasek's cap number is only at $4 because of his bonus money paid out last season. He will not hit his incentives this season. That will free up some cap space next season. With the cap raising again next season, the Wings will have anywhere from $7-10 in cap space to work with. They will need to resign a few players, no one huge though. However, I agree, there isn't enough cash to go around for an elite goaltender.

Holland will give Howard the opportunity next year to play in the NHL. Whether or not he flourishes as the brass hopes.....

I would feel fine with Ozzie between the pipes next season and then putting Howard behind him. I think that Ozzie has growen up since the last time he was our ture number one keeper back in the day. He is much better at the mental game and he seems to know shooters and opposing teams a littel better then when he was here the first time. Plus i think that he is having more fun now. I think that when a player is enjoying his situation and having fun on and off the ice they play better.

All for Ozzie in 08-09.

Osgood should start next year, I don't think they'll bring in anyone else because they are all about Howard and they will want him to back up and get a little more NHL experience.

So assuming that Osgood re-signs this summer we'll see an Osgood/Howard tandum, with Osgood playing the majority.

I think it'll be Ozzy/Howard next year. It's probably time to bring Jimmy up and see how he fairs in the NHL. And if Ozzy keeps playing like he has been, he definitely deserves the starting job.

I'm guessing Holland will still have an eye on the market though to see who's available. I just can't see them affording any big name.

Pretty soon i can't defer to my avatar anymore... cause he isn't going to be the "better" goalie... he will be the "BEST" goalie... but until then...

<-- I DEFER TO MY AVATAR :D

Keep in mind that Hasek's cap number is only at $4 because of his bonus money paid out last season. He will not hit his incentives this season. That will free up some cap space next season. With the cap raising again next season, the Wings will have anywhere from $7-10 in cap space to work with. They will need to resign a few players, no one huge though. However, I agree, there isn't enough cash to go around for an elite goaltender.

Holland will give Howard the opportunity next year to play in the NHL. Whether or not he flourishes as the brass hopes.....

Hasek's incentives are based on rounds of the playoffs as last season. It's a little early to write the Wings off for a Stanley Cup run.

Unless Hasek comes back as a number 2, which I doubt. Osgood/Howard because we can't afford another to get another goalie to tandem with or backup to Osgood. I don't know I just don't see Howard making it though.

Hasek's incentives are based on rounds of the playoffs as last season. It's a little early to write the Wings off for a Stanley Cup run.

They're assuming Dom won't be starting in the playoffs, I guess. I reckon differently.

In December, Hasek is 7-0-1 in 8 starts, 1.74 GAA, .917%, and a shut out.* He played tougher teams than Ozzie in the bargain. Regarding the playoffs: five of Hasek's December starts were vs. currently seeded playoff teams (MN twice). Zero of Ozzie's starts were vs. currently seeded playoff teams.

Stats can be made to "say" whatever you want them to, I suppose, but on any other team in the NHL and from any other fan base, Hasek's accomplishments would be lauded, not ignored or dismissed.

I will be perfectly happy with Ozzie and Howard next season, so long as they save some cap money. If Ozzie goes down for any extended period of time, I would hate to see Howard ruined by too much pressure, too soon. Dom will very likely not be back, just due to his age and fatigue factor. He has to work too hard now to be up to speed, and I can't see him being able to keep up the hours of extra work he has to put in, every game and every day, to be ready.

* Ozzie has been as good, with 5-1-0 in 6 starts, 1.67 GAA, .941% and a shut out

edit: spelling bee

Edited by puckloo39

I was wondering what you guys think..Who will be our no.1 goalie next season?

Assuming Hasek retires, should Ozzie take over and be no.1 with Howard as no.2 or should Kenny try to bring in someone else?

split time between howard and ozzie next year and hope things work themselves out

I'm going with an OsGod with ozzie backing him up. Come on people FOCUS lets worry about this year. Besides if you start now, what will we talk about this summer.

i am very confident with osgood as the starter, in the last couple years hes better than any other goalie you could get. the only goalies id take over him are luongo, kipprusoff, giguere, and lundquist...no chance in hell those goalies are leaving their teams, and i dont want anyone but osgood hes the second best goalie in wings history