• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
DenJ91

Should the wings retire Fedorov's number?

Rate this topic

Should the wings retire Fedorov's number?  

69 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

On 2/3 of NHL Teams would not hesitate to retire Feds number. Detroit has a lot of numbers retired already. When you read off all the names hanging from the rafters of the Joe and then say "Fedorov" it just doesnt feel like it belongs. It has nothing to do with it being a Russian Name. He just isnt in the same category as everyone else.

If he was still playing in Detroit today and he was 75% the player he was in his prime, then I would say he would be retired. That would have given him roughly 20 seasons. If he left Detroit and put up the same type of numbers he did in Detroit, there would still probably be a case to retire his jersey.

But he left Detroit and has been Mediocore at best. He is on the 3/4th line for the Blue Jackets.

Brett Hull had his number retired in St Louis, where he definitely played his best hockey. He left St Louis and still played very very well on other teams. Shanahan left St Louis, where he again probably played his best hockey and has done very well for other teams. I imagine Shanahans number will be retired in St Louis.

I voted no and here's why. I simply do not think he did enough to warrent getting his jersey retired.

If he had stayed here, then yes. But he ran out of town for the wrong reasons. He was even offered more money to stay in Detroit.

He was a HUGE part of us winning the Cup 3 times. But saying that, then I believe if he gets his jersey retired then so should Larionov. They basically did the same things while in Detroit.

Fedorov had some good seasons but he's not even close to being one of the top all time scorers in Wings history. He won some hardware but I really don't think he did enough in a Wings jersey to have it hung beside true greats like Yzerman, Howe, Abel, Lindsay, Sawchuk and (eventually) Lidstrom.

your basing fedorov's 954 points in 13 seasons to yzerman's 1700+ pts in 22 seasons and howes pts to the million seasons he played. he's over a point a game with the wings, and if he never left the wings, his offense wouldn't have dipped like it has on the jackets and with some more seasons left he'd be right up there. look at his playoff stats, again over a point a game, no many can say that in the history of the nhl's playoffs. isn't he top 3 in assists all time or something like that. and your comparing larionov to fedorov. i'm sorry even if i weren't a fedorov fan, i wouldn't agree with any of the points you just made and i don't wanna argue with a fellow wing fan.

Edited by DenJ91

he does play some time with nash on the top line, but look at it from a coaching standpoint. he's on the jackets 2nd and 3rd lines to add depth and defensive responsibilty as well as to add veteran experience on a team full of young inexperienced players. if he were strickly a 3rd liner, than he wouldn't be on the power play yet he's the main quaterback for the jackets with hainsey.

so anyway

if you have to ask then the number shouldn't be up there. how many threads were started to ask if Yzerman deserved it?

That's an excellent point. If Lidstrom were to have his number retired no one would question that one either. Personally, I would love to have Sergei return and finish his career out here but the question would still remain. I voted no for that reason.

You are killing me here.

Would I enjoy seeing Fedorov come back to Detroit to finish out his career? Of course.

BUT , as much as I love him and am his biggest fan, I have to vote no on retiring his number.

Retiring numbers should be an extraordinary thing and rarely done or it will eventually mean nothing.

You can't have a retirement ceremony for someone who's going to be booed of the ice for leaving the only team he ever knew for more money.

Why has this myth grown up amongst Redwings fans that Fedorov left for more money? He was offered, and turned down, a 5 year $50M contract 6 months before he became an UFA. For various reasons (that it seems even Kenny and Sergei still can't figure out) the relationship between Sergei and Management broke down and Fedorov felt it was time to leave. Shanny turns down big $$$$ to leave and everyone kisses his ass for it. ??? :hehe:

As for those who said he's not in the top ranks of Wings scorers, are you kidding?????

4th all-time in regular season scoring (Howe, Yzerman, Lyndsay, Fedorov)

3rd all-time in playoff scoring (Howe, Yzerman, Fedorov) - 163 points in 162 games!

Top scoring Russian in NHL history

6 All star appearances

1 Lester B Pearson

2 Selke's

1 Hart Trophy

3 Stanley Cups

Wings fans dislike of Fedorov is so irrational I feel sorry for the guy. He helped give this franchise perhaps its best ever 10 year spell and he gets zero gratitude for it.

Why has this myth grown up amongst Redwings fans that Fedorov left for more money? He was offered, and turned down, a 5 year $50M contract 6 months before he became an UFA. For various reasons (that it seems even Kenny and Sergei still can't figure out) the relationship between Sergei and Management broke down and Fedorov felt it was time to leave. Shanny turns down big $$$$ to leave and everyone kisses his ass for it. ??? :hehe:

As for those who said he's not in the top ranks of Wings scorers, are you kidding?????

4th all-time in regular season scoring (Howe, Yzerman, Lyndsay, Fedorov)

3rd all-time in playoff scoring (Howe, Yzerman, Fedorov) - 163 points in 162 games!

Top scoring Russian in NHL history

6 All star appearances

1 Lester B Pearson

2 Selke's

1 Hart Trophy

3 Stanley Cups

Wings fans dislike of Fedorov is so irrational I feel sorry for the guy. He helped give this franchise perhaps its best ever 10 year spell and he gets zero gratitude for it.

He get's gratitude for what he did, and no one can deny his ability and importance he had with the Wings during the 90's and early 00's, but it still a fact that his number shouldn't be retired. No one will ever say Sergei was meaningless or anything along those lines, but the fact is, he is not liked.

It would ruin the point to have Fedorov Appreciation Night if he isn't even appreciated. The whole point of having your number up in the rafters is for success and appreciation, and it's 50/50. Well, a whole falf of that is gone from Fedorov's repitoir and that is appreciation. I say he should be appreciated, but 75% of others say otherwise as you can hear when he touches the puck at the Joe.

All of you guys have made tremendous post first off this forum best hockey forum by far. Now i voted No to fedorov getting his jersey retired but i think shanny should and heres why.

1. Feds signed an offer sheet with carolina im all for someone getting more money but right there he rubbed me the wrong way.

2. Fedorov went to the team that just swept us in the playoffs in 03 so not only did he leave he went to the team that SWEPT Us in the first round that really was salt to my wound.

Now for why i think shanny should get his jersey retired

1. He was the final piece for the puzzle

2. He never held out i personally always felt he wanted to be here i cant say the same about fedorov

3. Shanny did not go to a rival he went to the other conference

4. If shanny was still here would we be seeing flip and huds and/or would they be progressing as quickly as they have so far.

5. Last but not least shanny left on a good note where as feds obviously did not.

Sorry about the long post

Why has this myth grown up amongst Redwings fans that Fedorov left for more money? He was offered, and turned down, a 5 year $50M contract 6 months before he became an UFA. For various reasons (that it seems even Kenny and Sergei still can't figure out) the relationship between Sergei and Management broke down and Fedorov felt it was time to leave. Shanny turns down big $$ to leave and everyone kisses his ass for it. ??? :hehe:

Fedorov never turned down the 5y/50m deal. He asked for some time to sort out personal issues and then showed up to sign the deal, and on the table was a 4y/40m deal. He asked for the 5th year back, and it was never put back on. He then signed with Anaheim for 5y/40m. That's called leaving for LESS money. Shanahan, on the other hand, left for EQUAL money. Yet Fedorov is the one called greedy. It wasn't about greed; it was about him being pushed out the door for some reason.

That said, here is a list of players whose numbers are most likely to be retired, and what they must do to earn the honor.

1) #30, Chris Osgood. if he breaks some of Sawchuk's club records and perhaps wins another Cup or two, he might qualify for this.

2) #91, Sergei Fedorov. If he returns to the Wings and finishes out his career here, he may see some consideration for jersey retirement.

3) #14, Brendan Shanahan. He did a lot in his time with Detroit, but he was a mercenary to begin with and Detroit has never retired the jersey of a player who did not begin their career as a Wing.

Fedorov never turned down the 5y/50m deal. He asked for some time to sort out personal issues and then showed up to sign the deal, and on the table was a 4y/40m deal. He asked for the 5th year back, and it was never put back on. He then signed with Anaheim for 5y/40m. That's called leaving for LESS money. Shanahan, on the other hand, left for EQUAL money. Yet Fedorov is the one called greedy. It wasn't about greed; it was about him being pushed out the door for some reason.

That said, here is a list of players whose numbers are most likely to be retired, and what they must do to earn the honor.

1) #30, Chris Osgood. if he breaks some of Sawchuk's club records and perhaps wins another Cup or two, he might qualify for this.

2) #91, Sergei Fedorov. If he returns to the Wings and finishes out his career here, he may see some consideration for jersey retirement.

3) #14, Brendan Shanahan. He did a lot in his time with Detroit, but he was a mercenary to begin with and Detroit has never retired the jersey of a player who did not begin their career as a Wing.

If 4y/$40m is being pushed out the door, then PUSH ME OUT! :yowza:

I made a topic in the rumor section on how the Wings could be interested on bringing back Fedorov. I can only dream for this to happen. I mentioned that the Wings should indeed retire #91, how many agree and why. His numbers are very strong, MVP, selke, pearson, 3 cups, all star, 13 seasons as a wing. I won't go into detail why I believe he should, I think we all know what he's done, so discuss.

I'm afraid that the only way you'll be able to see Sergei's jersey hanging from the rafters is to buy one yourself and hang it in your attic. :thumbup:

Edited by T.Low

Pass. Having your jersey retired the highest honor an organization can bestow on a player, its like winning the medal of honor or the noble peace prize. Fedorov is one of my favorite players, and was a big part of the organizations success in the past years, but like others have said, if you have to ask… the answer is no.

Now for why i think shanny should get his jersey retired

1. He was the final piece for the puzzle

2. He never held out i personally always felt he wanted to be here i cant say the same about fedorov

3. Shanny did not go to a rival he went to the other conference

4. If shanny was still here would we be seeing flip and huds and/or would they be progressing as quickly as they have so far.

5. Last but not least shanny left on a good note where as feds obviously did not.

You should go ask the fans in Hartford what they think about Shanny being a loyal, character kind of guy ;)

Don't get me wrong, Coffey Primeau and a 1st for Shanahan was one of the most important trades in Redwings history, but try and look at the bigger picture when comparing players.

Of course, if Feds had signed that $50M contract, he'd still be here eating $7M of cap space with rapidly diminishing skills. Then the fans would *really* hate him! :ranting:

It's being pushed out the door when you consider it is LOWER than the previous offer. When does that happen in contract negotiations, where the offer gets lower? It doesn't.

It happens when the first offer made is not a low ball offer to start the ball rolling, rather a legitimate absolute end of the budget good faith , we beleive in you and in our relationship, obviously or we wouldn't have done everything we have done for you and your family, and we are prepared to go to the wall with this offer, a rewarding type of offer that is met with a lackadasical cold shoulder "hmmph, I'll get back to you" attitude. So it gets reigned in a little. Big deal. But no, he has to pout about it, his delicate ego is hurt, so he loads up the Ferrari and drives to Cali.

When management makes that type of offer and its met with a luke warm reaction at best, its easy to see why management can feel less secure in the relationship and reconsider the bottom line just a bit. It was still a hell of an offer. He was an idiot for not taking it, and he knows it now. Fedorov in Detroit; The young, skinny, cool Elvis. Fedorov after Detroit; The old, fat, Las Vegas Elvis

It happens when the first offer made is not a low ball offer to start the ball rolling, rather a legitimate absolute end of the budget good faith , we beleive in you and in our relationship, obviously or we wouldn't have done everything we have done for you and your family, and we are prepared to go to the wall with this offer, a rewarding type of offer that is met with a lackadasical cold shoulder "hmmph, I'll get back to you" attitude. So it gets reigned in a little. Big deal. But no, he has to pout about it, his delicate ego is hurt, so he loads up the Ferrari and drives to Cali.

It wasn't a 'I'll get back to you' it was a 'I'm currently going through a divorce, could I please have some time to sort out my personal life and then handle the contract business' and Fedorov's perfectly reasonable request for more time, NOT more money, was met with a reduction in contract length.

Fedorov signed with Anaheim because they offered five years. Had Detroit offered the same 5yr/40m deal Fedorov likely would have accepted. It was never about the money; just the length.

ok fair enough but seems your vote goes more towards spite than what he's done for the wings. If he came back and had zero points but retired a wing would he then get your vote simply cause he finished in a wings uniform? The numbers are stellar, I honestly don't think he needs to prove anymore. Yes i understand fans are upset with him for leaving, are fans upset with Shanahan? i honestly don't know, i don't live in detroit. clearly i'm for his # being retired so you will all see that come across in my replies but thanks for replying, cause this isn't about my opinion alone.

I am a hardcore fedz fan man.

I want him back in a wingsd jersey, no matter what wrong he has done.

if not i do want his number hanging next to Stevie-y's in the joe.

I made a topic in the rumor section on how the Wings could be interested on bringing back Fedorov. I can only dream for this to happen. I mentioned that the Wings should indeed retire #91, how many agree and why. His numbers are very strong, MVP, selke, pearson, 3 cups, all star, 13 seasons as a wing. I won't go into detail why I believe he should, I think we all know what he's done, so discuss.

He never earned my respect. He was washed up his last 2 years in Detroit, was washed up with Columbus, and still hasnt proven to me in Washington that he is worthy of having his number retired by any team.

Oh and im not sure if any of you have heard, but he is having lawsuits filed against him by a bank in Detroit for not paying back over a 2 and a half million dollars in loans

Edited by Lidstrom for Norris

ok fair enough but seems your vote goes more towards spite than what he's done for the wings. If he came back and had zero points but retired a wing would he then get your vote simply cause he finished in a wings uniform? The numbers are stellar, I honestly don't think he needs to prove anymore. Yes i understand fans are upset with him for leaving, are fans upset with Shanahan? i honestly don't know, i don't live in detroit. clearly i'm for his # being retired so you will all see that come across in my replies but thanks for replying, cause this isn't about my opinion alone.

I doubt Shanahan's number would be retired, either, although he had some great seasons in a Wings sweater...

If I'm not mistaken, I think you just proved yourself wrong, sir.