• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
jim3033

Can Detroit Win The Cup?

Rate this topic

There's only 1 answer to this question.

Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go! Go Wings Go!

:champs:

Who else??

Jeez what a bad thread. A true wings fan always beleives that the Wings are going to win. Can they improve their team? Possibly.

Go Wings Go!

IMO the Wings might not pull out of the west. It is possible that Dats and Z will be neutralized.

I really don't see this happening. So far that's been Detroit's strength, no one has ever really neutralized them since they'ev become dominant. And as for secondary scoring, most teams don't have the depth to focus on secondary guys, so I'm not too concerned about that.

and? the same can be said of every team

No, it really can't. Over the past decade or so, no team has dominated in the regular season likes the Wings have; they've done it consistently and convincingly -- at least, relative to other teams. Unfortunately, many -- if not most -- of the those highly impressive regular seasons were capped off with unexpected, highly disappointing postseason exits. The cause? Typically, management's inability to address flaws in the roster that seemed inconsequential when viewed in light of regular season success, but were ultimately exploited by the opposition in the postseason.

This is didactic, the lesson being this: those teams that do their homework and show up to the playoffs truly prepared are the ones that tend to go deep. It's no coincidence that the Wings went deeper this past postseason than they've gone in years; they knew they had to get tougher if they wanted to grind it out against teams like the Flames, Sharks and Ducks, and so they did just that. Unfortunately, their lack of depth on the blue line and in the scoring department ultimately got the best of them.

This is still a gritty team, but it's also still lacking bona fide scoring depth and a well-rounded defensive unit. Management can take one of two paths: that of complaceny (i.e. "Look at our regular season stats and that shiny Presidents' Trophy. We'll be fine") or that of intelligence (i.e. "We're going to give this everything we've got. That means acknowledging that there are big-time holes and then filling them up").

I hope they pick the latter.

I really don't see this happening. So far that's been Detroit's strength, no one has ever really neutralized them since they'ev become dominant. And as for secondary scoring, most teams don't have the depth to focus on secondary guys, so I'm not too concerned about that.

Or is it that we do not have secondary guys who can secure a win or a few wins when our top line is not playing at its best? I will go with that, when our top line does not show up we usually do not do that well. Bottom line is: we need scoring depth.

Here's an article on MLive discussing the ESPN 'Wings-Patriots' article at the beginning of this thread. Link

At the end it says:

Detroit Red Wings: General manager Ken Holland is looking at every possibility of landing a big scorer because Holland always looks at every possibility. He's made overtures for most of the premium players, but Holland is saying he also doesn't want to give up his future for a rental player. He believes he has enough depth to be a quality team for a few years if he doesn't trade it away. The Red Wings will look at defensive depth, but that's a lower priority than a scorer.

That scorer's name won't be Hossa or Sundin, either.

That puts another thorn in the Sundin and Hossa rumors.

Here's an article on MLive discussing the ESPN 'Wings-Patriots' article at the beginning of this thread. Link

At the end it says:

Detroit Red Wings: General manager Ken Holland is looking at every possibility of landing a big scorer because Holland always looks at every possibility. He's made overtures for most of the premium players, but Holland is saying he also doesn't want to give up his future for a rental player. He believes he has enough depth to be a quality team for a few years if he doesn't trade it away. The Red Wings will look at defensive depth, but that's a lower priority than a scorer.

What great news.

What great news.

I find that really disturbing. There's no one out there that would help as much as they would, and as has been discussed, Hossa, not being a rental, would be a great investment.

So if Mlive knows what they're talking about, we're going to get: A) Some crappy defenseman (there aren't too many good ones out there), B) Some slow, small, veteran has-been.

But then again, nobody knows at this point, so I thinkMlive. was just speculating.

Edited by VM1138

i think its important to keep in mind that if the playoffs started today the Ducks and Sharks would play each other. after that series one team will be out of it while the other will most likely be banged up quite a bit. and thats a big plus for the wings

we have 1/16 chance to win the Cup just like any other teams. and we have to pass tough four 7series tests to do it.

Red Wings players are here to help us pass those tests. We all know they can play already but they are gonna have to dig deep to pass those tests. I hope they are fresh and mentally ready to do their job this spring because we all know how tough those are.

As for Simpson, he has 1/2 chance to sound like a genius and 15/16 chance to make his prediction right. He has nothing to lose by saying that.

Or that's what he thought ;)

p.s: just so you know 1/16 is 6.25%. It is a tough odd to beat but we have 50% chance to win/lose every round.

Edited by Yemack

No, it really can't. Over the past decade or so, no team has dominated in the regular season likes the Wings have; they've done it consistently and convincingly -- at least, relative to other teams. Unfortunately, many -- if not most -- of the those highly impressive regular seasons were capped off with unexpected, highly disappointing postseason exits. The cause? Typically, management's inability to address flaws in the roster that seemed inconsequential when viewed in light of regular season success, but were ultimately exploited by the opposition in the postseason.

This is didactic, the lesson being this: those teams that do their homework and show up to the playoffs truly prepared are the ones that tend to go deep. It's no coincidence that the Wings went deeper this past postseason than they've gone in years; they knew they had to get tougher if they wanted to grind it out against teams like the Flames, Sharks and Ducks, and so they did just that. Unfortunately, their lack of depth on the blue line and in the scoring department ultimately got the best of them.

This is still a gritty team, but it's also still lacking bona fide scoring depth and a well-rounded defensive unit. Management can take one of two paths: that of complaceny (i.e. "Look at our regular season stats and that shiny Presidents' Trophy. We'll be fine") or that of intelligence (i.e. "We're going to give this everything we've got. That means acknowledging that there are big-time holes and then filling them up").

I hope they pick the latter.

i agree that we have been consistently better during the regular season than most, but our playoff record (3 cups in recent memory) has also been better than most, even if it doesn't appear that way because of the regular season success ... my point was that 16 teams make the playoffs and only 1 ends up happy, so 15 teams that have good regular seasons end up with postseason disappointment ... and since the same team doesn't win the cup every year, most teams have had regular season success and postseason disppointment ...

Whoever our goalie is has to stand on his head for us to beat the Ducks. Last year Giggy outplayed Hasek in the clutch, and we lost the series. The other obvious answers to the Wings winning the Cup is health and secondary scoring. I think that if Holland sits on his ass and doesn't make any significant moves (i.e. not Cory Cross) this team can't make a run for it.

Edited by GMRwings1983

I think it's unlikely, but it's certainly not impossible. The Wings could use a little help. It would be nice if a favorable playoff seeding fell into their lap. If a team like Dallas could beat Anaheim, I'd like Detroit's chances against the Stars better than the Ducks; stuff like that.

I don't think the Red Wings can get past Anaheim. That's the only team I'm really sure they're going to have problems with. That team is extremely talented, very big, very tough and they have a monster goaltender who plays his best in the playoffs. The Wings lack size up the middle and their goaltending is questionable.

But hey, crazier things have happened. I wouldn't be shocked if Detroit goes all the way. But I wouldn't bet any money on it.

In the playoffs anyone can beat anyone; doesn't matter what seed we are we'll be up against a team looking to knock us out...Just hope we make a few additions to bolster our 2nd line, & defense, & all our guys will be "healthy".

IMO - yeah we can win it all :thumbup:

Anybody CAN win the Cup. WILL they win the Cup is the more appropriate question. :P

Well okay, let me rephrase my post then:

I really think when the wings are motivated and play their best hockey they WILL beat any team, any time. I often see a lack thereof however.

:D

At the end it says:

What, is he just going to pick a big scorer from mid-air? You don't get any bigger than Hossa with all the people out there right now.

Can Detroit Win The Cup?

Yes Detroit can win the cup, as a matter of fact they have won it 10 times already. and they had to beat other determined teams along the way to each and everyone won of those Stanley Cups.

so in closing all I can say is F**** the Press they know nothing and are always looking to talk bad about the Wings, who knows why jealously perhaps but I don't pay any mind to what the press says about anything.

ask a Hockey fan, doesen't matter what team, if the Red Wings can win and cup and they'll tell you.