• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
miller76

Wings/Rangers in Yankee Stadium?

Rate this topic

I feel like baseball stadiums would provide some terrible seating for a hockey game. I feel like you would be to far away.

Even football fields are like that too. I love the idea of outdoor games, and I enjoyed watching them. However, whenever the camera panned out an showed the rink in relation to the stadium it was so small. Even those people in the front rows would be quite some distance back.

I'm for a double header at the Big House. Michigan / Michigan State and Detroit / Toronto.

Now that, to me, would be a kickass reason to drive to Ann Arbor.

Totally Agree. Theres no reason not to do this. What better way to showcase hockey than with two premier college teams (Could be the 2007&2008 national champions squaring off) and the rivalry and history of two original six teams? I mean how many times, in recent years, do the Wings and Leafs play??? Michigan is the best market for hockey in the US anyways.

What's the hockey attendance record? 74,000? Pshh, the Big House would completely shatter that. It seats 107,501 and probably could fit even more people. Not to mention its the biggest stadium in the country. If tickets were priced right, you'd have a for sure sellout. Plus, you'd have everyone in the state of Michigan attending and those canucks driving from nearby Ontario to attend. If Bettman wanted to expose the US to hockey this could possibly be the best way to do it...

Yankee stadium is intriguing, but I'd rather see a Boston/New York match up in that one, if it could insure the MSU/UM - Wings/Leafs @ the Big House.

DO IT AT THE BIG HOUSE, THIS IS A NO-BRAINER!!!!

Edited by FunkedUp

It should be Detroit vs. Toronto, but I think I read somewhere that the Leafs wouldn't do that because they want it to be with another Canadian team for the CBC broadcast.

I also think Michigan stadium might be a little too big. The game in Buffalo looked like a lot of fun to attend, but how the hell could the fans at the very highest levels of seating follow what was going on? I imagine a lot of people were just looking at the Jumbotron the whole time.

Finally, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Boston.

Sorta off subject but if i am not mistaken, i believe they are adding another layer to The Big House consisting of boxes and suites. Its sad yet funny that they have to add more room to a stadium that already holds 112,000 fans for a football game.

I would love to see a weekend of MSU/U of M game on a sat, then a DET/ CHI. or TOR game on Sunday. :colorbounce: :colorbounce:

Edited by Williams29fan

It should be Florida vs. Nashville.

Bettman could be in the booth telling us constantly during the play by play that the league is doing great, and that the Southern markets are striving, and that the whole country is probably watching this game.

:lol:

It should be Detroit vs. Toronto, but I think I read somewhere that the Leafs wouldn't do that because they want it to be with another Canadian team for the CBC broadcast.

I also think Michigan stadium might be a little too big. The game in Buffalo looked like a lot of fun to attend, but how the hell could the fans at the very highest levels of seating follow what was going on? I imagine a lot of people were just looking at the Jumbotron the whole time.

Finally, I'm surprised nobody's mentioned Boston.

That's stupid of the Leafs since Canadians liked/watched the two American teams from the past winter classic on CBC.

Edited by Jwo

...I don't know why Bettman is messing around. If you plan on involving the Wingsin an outdoor game, why not put them and the Ducks or Leafs in Michigan Stadium? Could they sell it out? I think so, and then some. Especially if you don't charge an arm and a leg to get in. Maybe $60 at the most, then I do believe they would put over 100,000 people in there. Talk about revenue and ratings!?!?!? Too bad we couldn't go back to March 26th, 1997 and put the Wings/Aves in Michigan Stadium...

I'm sick of Toronto :P, Wings vs. Rangers at Yankee Staduim sound kick @ss to me!

Edit: Besides, The Leafs would want it in Toronto no questioned asked, and there's really no place to play an outdoor game there.

It wouldn't get any bigger or better than the Wings and Rangers in the House that Ruth Built.

Edited by Barrie

I really don't get it. WHY wouldn't they have Toronto and Detroit play at the Big House?! Nobody wants to see an original six outdoor game or anything..

When did the rangers get kicked out of the original six <_<

I'm for a double header at the Big House. Michigan / Michigan State and Detroit / Toronto.

Now that, to me, would be a kickass reason to drive to Ann Arbor.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I've said the exact same thing! In a perfect world this would happen.

Of course, I'd love to see the Wings play in the outdoor game anywhere it is held. Even if we play Pitt!

this would be totally awesome since I live in NYC. problem with NY weather though, its always up and down it could even rain out in the winter... it would be absolutely awesome, hopefully not on new years day though,,, tough to shake that hang over off...

I would think it'd be easier to play it in the Meadowlands since it is more of a bowl shaped stadium, but I guess this is why I don't make any major decisions in life. :P

Still can't do much wrong hosting it in such a historic venue as Yankee Stadium.

I don't think the league would give Michigan much of an oppurtunity to host an outdoor game, mostly because we're already the greatest hockey state in the country. There's no fans left to be had, especially compared to a northern state who isn't as big on hockey. New York is a decent area to have it because they have a good enough fan base to sell out the arena without much problem, yet there's still room for growth, and capitalizing on what could very well be the last game at Yankee Stadium is something many fans and potential fans aren't going to want to miss out on.

At the same time, the Red Wings and Rangers are two popular franchises in the sport of hockey, two original six teams, and its a Western/Eastern Conference battle, so there's a lot of selling potential there.

As for having it on New Years day, I also think thats a good idea. Its a bit risky to have it the same day as College Football, but Bettman is showing some serious balls in that he's willing to compete with the top American sport right now, and he's going about it in all the right ways (ie utilizing two of the best selling teams, O6 matchup, historic final game at Yankee stadium, etc etc). If the nhl plans on increasing national ratings, they're going to have to compete with something.

Guest vancity_mostwanted

it might be on the other side on north america but you can count me there

I don't think the league would give Michigan much of an oppurtunity to host an outdoor game, mostly because we're already the greatest hockey state in the country. There's no fans left to be had, especially compared to a northern state who isn't as big on hockey. New York is a decent area to have it because they have a good enough fan base to sell out the arena without much problem, yet there's still room for growth, and capitalizing on what could very well be the last game at Yankee Stadium is something many fans and potential fans aren't going to want to miss out on.

At the same time, the Red Wings and Rangers are two popular franchises in the sport of hockey, two original six teams, and its a Western/Eastern Conference battle, so there's a lot of selling potential there.

As for having it on New Years day, I also think thats a good idea. Its a bit risky to have it the same day as College Football, but Bettman is showing some serious balls in that he's willing to compete with the top American sport right now, and he's going about it in all the right ways (ie utilizing two of the best selling teams, O6 matchup, historic final game at Yankee stadium, etc etc). If the nhl plans on increasing national ratings, they're going to have to compete with something.

It definitely worked last game. NHL came up with its highest-rated regular season game since 2001. It's definitely something people will tune in to see, and especially amongst those earlier Bowl games, you have a chance to draw in a pretty good crowd.

I'm not too sure that Michigan would host a outdoor game at the Big House until they finish the new suites and stuff. I think that is suppose to be done in 2010! We may have to wait a couple of years to see Detroit/Toronto at the Big House!!

Hmmmm, this would be interesting wouldn't

I guess my first thought when i heard that they wanted to put it in Yankee stadium was that it woudl be Rangers and Isles or Rangers and the Devils.

I guess you at least have a Orginal 6 match up, which is pretty sweet.

I don't like the idea that New York would be getting it for the second year in a row. I uderstand that it is one of the markest and all that crap. But why wouldn't you share the wealth with anthoer big hockey market? I think that it would have been cool, and i only say this because they are talking yankee stadium and still think that seating will blow at a baseball stadium, if they would have just played this game in Detroit at Comerica Park. Give us a game against Toronto, Montreal or Chicago. Maybe make the warm up MSU vs. U of M.

I'm a little bummed out that New York looks to be getting it for a second year in a row. I'm going to try and make it out to the game if Detroit is indeed playing in the game. Just wish that game was not going to be played in Detorit.