• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingnut4013

How far will we make it this year?

Rate this topic

how about "how bad can the refs screw us over this year?" lol

well i guess its not ENTIRELY the refs' fault that we got kicked out last year, but i'm still sore from the unfair calls that were made against anaheim

id say we can make it to the conf finals. whether we make it past the conf finals will depend on who we play obv, and how much the refs hate us. =] assuming we face the ducks again, i think we can beat them this year. im hoping a sweep :lol:

another question though: if we make it to the cup, who will we be playing from the east?

God knows.

Come on, I'm not going to say they're going to take it all in case I mess it up.

but they can win it, if they want it enough, without a doubt.

Anyways.. go Wings, go cup.

Well, the furthest team from Detroit is Anaheim I believe so I'm guessing that is the farthest they have to go.

Edit: wait... we weren't talking travel were we. oops

Edited by vangvace

Nooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! Now that you have started this thread you have jinxed the Wings into going out in the first round. Damn it you got ahead of yourself now the typed words displayed in this thread have surely altered the outcome of the game... Damn you. We have surely lost now. :ph34r:

well we will win the cup this year, you can't beleive in that jynx crap. I've said it since I saw how sick Datysuk played in last years playoffs. He will carry the team.

If they play either Nashville or Vancouver in first round I think they will have a lot of trouble. As a wings fan I am scared of Nashville and how they played the Wings this year. ALSO how can you NOT be scared of Luongo!!!!!

Datsyuk for 100+ points DO IT!!!

I gaurentee the wings will play a minimum of 4 playoff games. ;)

After that the skill, toughness, desire and luck of the team will determine how deep they get into the playoffs.

I know I will be watching as many games as possible. I will celebrate the wins and despair over the loses.

I cant take this again as a fan, The Wings as players definately cant. We're going all the way this year.

Very unbearable to watch.

YOU SHOULD BE BANNED FOR POSTING THIS!

Here's some thoughts I had on this matter from yesterdays GDT that probably are more appropriate here. The first couple paragraphs aren't entirely relevant but I left them for context.

"Finally getting around to watching the game now as I was performing in a concert last night and missed it. Definitely not happy with the Wings general play in this game at all. I'm not going to freak out because you can't expect them to go all out at this point with the playoffs so close and the luxury we have being at the top of the standings. But they sure as hell better play a lot better starting in Game 1 if they want to have a prayer.

Johan Franzen is the man though. I love beyond measure how a hard worker like him is getting the goals and recognition he deserves. Here's hoping this isn't a fluke, but with hard workers like him, it rarely is. He's like Draper with more talent crossed with Holmstrom. If he keeps his confidence, he's going to have a great career most likely in this city.

I said earlier as a matter of principle that if a goalie gives up 3-4 goals in a game and the team in general played sloppy, he's as big of a part of the loss as anyone. Earlier in the season the team played sloppy and Osgood stood on his head and won games the team didn't deserve to win. He didn't do that last night. Can you really say he played bad? No. First goal was just a great play. Second goal was a weird deflection. Third goal looked like a deflection but I think no matter the fact on that one he should've had it. He wasn't as prepared just like everyone else in red at the quick turnaround there and it backfired on us. The overtime goal again was just a team playing sloppy including Osgood. You can't say Osgood played terrible because people saying he got little help are right, but he didn't play great and he didn't win. Goaltending like that won't work down the stretch.

But here's the bottom line I keep screaming from the heavens: if a team wants to go far in the playoffs, they need their goalies to come up with huge games. These excuses suggesting "you can't fault the goalie" are for the birds if you expect to go far. I mean, sure, in a lot of ways it's true, you can't fault the goalie on a lot of goals scored on us, but that's not enough. We need to be able to say "the goalie saved our ass." That's the difference down the stretch.

Have either of our goalies done that consistently in the second half?

No. Osgood had it in the first half but has been more average in the second half. Hasek went from terrible to an average similar to Osgood's second half. I'm sorry, but you can't expect that to be enough in the playoffs. I really think people are living in a pipe dream if they think Hasek's going to magically turn it on again because realistically he suffered from the same problems last year in the playoffs and if he wasn't, we wouldn't have lost Game 6 against Anaheim. He played as lousy as the rest of the team the whole game including the 3rd when the team finally showed up. You can say it's nitpicking to focus on one game, but it wasn't one game and when you're dealing with 7 game series and elimination games in the playoffs, you have to be picky and the whole point of having him here is because he's supposed to be the guy to come out huge in those games and he flat out didn't. He's not the goalie he was 10 years ago and this year has been rough on him. I mean no disrespect, but I don't see us going any further than last year with him starting.

That said, I feel the same way about Osgood unless he can find a way to play like he did in the first half. I think he's certainly capable and his body is more up for it than Hasek's at this point, but I don't know what it's going to take and I think it's unlikely to happen at this point. He hasn't done it consistently in 2008. Both goalies have played pretty well and at times excellent, but they've also fallen pretty flat at times too. Last night, you can point to Franzen and say he did his part to keep us in and give us a chance. He rose above. You can't say that about Osgood.

We need to be able to say that about our goaltending to win.

I'm not trying to be pessimistic or even say it's a bad thing because the reality is, not every team can win every year and not every team can have amazing goaltending every year. Goalies heat up for one year of playoffs and then their careers tank after that. The game is strange like that. Barring a miracle, I'd say with certainty that it's not going to happen with Hasek at this stage in his career and this year and I think it's unlikely to happen with Osgood at this point.

So unlike many, unless our team really shows up and plays great hockey all the way through and totally avoids injury, I see us going down in the Western Conference Finals. It'll be disappointing, but goaltending is a big piece of the puzzle and I don't think we've had the ability to put a clear #1 guy forward. Hasek's supposed to be the guy but he's been plagued by injuries when he should be doing final preparations and Osgood's supposed to be the backup and that is going to inhibit things for him no matter what anyone would like to think in "la la land."

One last thing to be clear. This isn't me saying we suck or we're horrible. This is me trying to be realistic about the fact that one team wins and while we're great and we certainly have a chance, everything is going to have to go our way for that to happen. We don't have near the margin of error that it seems some believe we have."