• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

Your goalie is the *****. He intentionally hits ribiero with his stick. ozzie falls and gets a penalty and in his press release, "he was simply protecting his player from getting hit." f*** detroit

Banned in 3...2...1...

Guest GordieSid&Ted
Your goalie is the *****. He intentionally hits ribiero with his stick. ozzie falls and gets a penalty and in his press release, "he was simply protecting his player from getting hit." f*** detroit

And the clock has officially started ticking on your dumb ass getting banned. Nice knowin' ya. Down 2 games to none, getting outclassed in every facet of the game. It's gotta be hard on your ego.

5,4,3................that would be your clock ticking sucka.

And the clock has officially started ticking on your dumb ass getting banned. Nice knowin' ya. Down 2 games to none, getting outclassed in every facet of the game. It's gotta be hard on your ego.

5,4,3................that would be your clock ticking sucka.

Both players acted disgracefully. Not even 'Slap Shot' disgracefully. It was worse.

Put this behind us, move on. Play hockey please.

Thank you.

A butt end can be as dangerous as a stick swing, depending on where they connect.

Anyways, my take is Ribeiro should get one game for the intent to injure, however, that's the most he should get. Osgood sold it like an Italian soccer player, it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. A little bit higher, then maybe the story changes, but hitting him in that big chest protector isn't going to hurt him, given that he takes pucks going much, much faster in the same spot every day.

It wasn't a butt end. A butt end is a jab with the butt end of the stick with intent to hit a player. As it was Ribeiro's motion, not Osgood's that caused the contact. The most it can be called is a high stick. Which, admittedly, probably deserved a two-minute minor.

The fact that Ribeiro is apparently not being suspended is a joke; Marty McSorley was kicked out of the league for a comparable slash. Chris Simon was suspended almost half a season for that kind of slash.

Yes Osgood sold it. But the thing is, out of all the goalies in the league, I can't think of many who embellish LESS than Chris Osgood. Combine that with the fact that Ribeiro is the person who committed the grossest overembellishment of any play ever since hockey has been televised. The fact that Ribeiro has a history of being a serious diver suggests to me that if osgood even made contact, he barely felt it; his history suggests that had Osgood actually hit him in the face as he claims, he'd have been laying on the ice writhing as if he had been struck in the face by a full swing with a sledgehammer. And smiling and joking about it later.

Ribeiro should have been suspended for the remainder of the series. Osgood should have been given a two-minute penalty for high sticking. End of story.

It wasn't a butt end. A butt end is a jab with the butt end of the stick with intent to hit a player. As it was Ribeiro's motion, not Osgood's that caused the contact. The most it can be called is a high stick. Which, admittedly, probably deserved a two-minute minor.

The fact that Ribeiro is apparently not being suspended is a joke; Marty McSorley was kicked out of the league for a comparable slash. Chris Simon was suspended almost half a season for that kind of slash.

Yes Osgood sold it. But the thing is, out of all the goalies in the league, I can't think of many who embellish LESS than Chris Osgood. Combine that with the fact that Ribeiro is the person who committed the grossest overembellishment of any play ever since hockey has been televised. The fact that Ribeiro has a history of being a serious diver suggests to me that if osgood even made contact, he barely felt it; his history suggests that had Osgood actually hit him in the face as he claims, he'd have been laying on the ice writhing as if he had been struck in the face by a full swing with a sledgehammer. And smiling and joking about it later.

Ribeiro should have been suspended for the remainder of the series. Osgood should have been given a two-minute penalty for high sticking. End of story.

:thumbup: Most accurate description so far. :thumbup:

No Osgood put his stick out there in an attempt to impede Ribeiro's progress. Ozzie has even said this. If he had not, there would have been no contact so you're wrong.

You're kidding right? Check this out and tell me who's the bad actor:

That's a compliment, really. Italy won the World Cup with some of that magnificent acting.

Of course, the old saying still stands: Italians do it better.

That's a compliment, really. Italy won the World Cup with some of that magnificent acting.

Of course, the old saying still stands: Italians do it better.

All I'm really saying to Stars fans is this: Pot meet kettle.

Spot on. Unfortunately, no matter how many times it's explained some people have a hard time understanding just what exactly a butt-end is. I hate to say it, but if you want to see a small example of a butt-end, look at Cheli's penalty. Not much of one for sure but you'll notice the difference in what he did and what Ozzie die.

Our goalie? Turco is the *****, hitting guys in the back of the head, slashing at every player in front of the net. Real classy guy there, I cant wait till we knock you guys out just to see Turco and Ribeiro crying in the hand shake line in Game 5.

No Osgood put his stick out there in an attempt to impede Ribeiro's progress. Ozzie has even said this. If he had not, there would have been no contact so you're wrong.

Blocking with the stick is NOT a butt-end. That is the point you COMPLETELY missed. What Osgood did may have been high sticking (if there was actual contact, which is questionable) but it was nowhere near a butt-end.

Blocking with the stick is NOT a butt-end. That is the point you COMPLETELY missed. What Osgood did may have been high sticking (if there was actual contact, which is questionable) but it was nowhere near a butt-end.

You don't necessarily have to jab someone to make it a butt-end. Osgood purposefully making an action to check Ribeiro or attempt to with the shaft of his stick is a butt-end. That's all I was saying.

anyone who says that ozzy did anything wrong is a moron. and whether he did do anything wrong isn't the point. Ribb louisville sluggered ozzy right in the head. that's inexcusable, and I can't wait until McCarty lets loose on him

anyone who says that ozzy did anything wrong is a moron. and whether he did do anything wrong isn't the point. Ribb louisville sluggered ozzy right in the head. that's inexcusable, and I can't wait until McCarty lets loose on him

:lol:

Did you see ANY of this? Like one second?

This post makes you seem very unintelligent. Let's break it down.

anyone who says that ozzy did anything wrong is a moron.

Almost everyone has admitted Ozzie shouldn't have done what he did. It wasn't as bad as Ribeiro but still wrong. Hence, his fine.

and whether he did do anything wrong isn't the point

Well while it doesn't excuse Ribeiro's actions, provocation does matter. Any judge will tell you that.

Ribb louisville sluggered ozzy right in the head

He didn't do that at all.

and I can't wait until McCarty lets loose on him

The Red Wings won't retaliate. Have you seen Detroit play since Mike Babcock took over?

I wish I could find a picture of Flip flying through the air after being tripped by Turco. You want the single most dangerous play of the game? It didn't involve Ribeiro and Ozzie - how about hacking a guy's ankles who's skating backwards at full speed. Attention Stars fans: Stop being so damn hypocritical. The only goalie who deserves a fine is Turco for the shameful way he was playing. Hopefully the refs catch on tonight.

Without being a homer the more i think about it the fine is o.k. with me for both,I like to think Ozzy didn't butt end him on purpose you see that kind of play in every hockey game every night from goalies but he did make contact hence the fine.

I would rather are beloved Redwings beat the Stars without another excuse.My only problem is the attitude retaliation

is o.k. by alot of people on these and other forums,which by a fine it is not.We have know idea what the "price" Ribeiro

has to pay.Hopefully the right message has been sent by the league not for us older people but to our younger sports fans.

As my 13 year old son plays ice as a goalie he says it hurts more in Ribeiro's wallet than a suspension would.

Just ask your boy Turco... It's OK to hit an opposing player with your stick. Helm didn't cry wolf... IT"S THE PLAYOFFS *****

A butt end can be as dangerous as a stick swing, depending on where they connect.

Anyways, my take is Ribeiro should get one game for the intent to injure, however, that's the most he should get. Osgood sold it like an Italian soccer player, it wasn't nearly as bad as it looked. A little bit higher, then maybe the story changes, but hitting him in that big chest protector isn't going to hurt him, given that he takes pucks going much, much faster in the same spot every day.

It's nice to read a rather even keeled evaluation from the other side... However, since everyone else is chiming in, let me add the following observations:

1) I think it's safe to say that Riberio's check to the league will be bigger than Osgood's. I agree with others that say that Osgood at-worst committed a "high stick" instead of a "butt-end". Ozzie didn't try and skewer Riberio, he was trying to slow up what he thought was a possible run against our top scorer at the buzzer and ended up getting Ribeiro in the upper chest/neck area.

2) Where Ribeiro hit him isn't really material, the main offense is that it was after the final horn sounded and it was a two handed tomahawk. Ozzie trying to sell the call didn't make any difference with the above facts, where Ribeiro hit him only would have affected the nature and the severity of the action from the league.

3) It wouldn't surprise me if the NHL fined Osgood because they thought the Actor's Equity charity fund needed some help instead of because of what they thought about his stick work.

This ruling is utter bulls***, but I can't say it's unexpected. The problem with it is what it says (or doesn't say) about Turco's shenanigans -- this is, in a very real sense, the NHL saying, "We'll turn a blind eye to that side of the rink." Not that we didn't already know that was the case.

Whatever. Play ball.

I'm back from 3 day vacation in Germany and viewing replays of Game 2 and this incident. my take:

1. anyone claiming there should be two players suspended if anything (read: McKenzie, TSN) is nuts.

sorry Scott, I know you're passionate hockey fan etc. but this is wrong. what Oz did is definitely

frequent among goalies and yes it's tauting. I don't see it clearly going into Ribeiro's face as you're

trying to picture. if there was suspension it would only be justified if it went on Ribeiro's account.

2. anyone claiming Oz is innocent is wrong. he did this move and he had his purpose. I can't see

this being an intent to injure as some Stars ppl whine but it definitely counts as dangerous play.

Oz should have gotten a fine for this and he got it. that's deserved

3. anyone claiming Ribeiro's swing was of no harm to Oz (again: McKenzie) is nuts. just get out,

put this stuff on and see what's the difference between blunt hit (puck) and slashing hit (stick).

I mean: you really don't have to know RPG games to understand the difference between various

types of hits and respective protections. I played goal once and I felt the difference between

puck landing on my balls protector and a stick getting there. clear difference. wish Pang had more

balls to call McKenzie on that and call this a BS

I'm OK with Campbell's ruling. in my book it's Ribeiro acting frustrated and without brain after being

provoked by Oz. it's playoffs and he doesn't have rep for doing this so it's fine he escapes with

fine here. what he leaves is a frustration mark and bad karma for Stars. that's better for me

than giving the opposing team extra incentives to win because it misses key player (aka Pronger

last year). this is gonna kick Stars in their butt and give Wings extra karma for Game 3.

Edited by akustyk

I wish I could find a picture of Flip flying through the air after being tripped by Turco. You want the single most dangerous play of the game? It didn't involve Ribeiro and Ozzie - how about hacking a guy's ankles who's skating backwards at full speed. Attention Stars fans: Stop being so damn hypocritical. The only goalie who deserves a fine is Turco for the shameful way he was playing. Hopefully the refs catch on tonight.

Dude, he was only protecting his crease. It's his right. Homer once put his pinky toe in the blue paint so Turco gets a free pass the rest of the series. :P

Look it up in the rule book and you will see:

In such case as an opposing player puts a pinky toe, be it left or right pinky toe, in a Dallas Stars goaltender's crease, said Dallas Goaltender is from that point on allowed, but not limited to:

Slash

Trip

Punch

Hook the nutsack of

or yell yo mamma jokes at

Any opposing player who comes within his reach for the remainder of the series.

Pay no attention that the rule is scribbled in crayon in Betman's hand writing. It's still official.

Dude, he was only protecting his crease. It's his right. Homer once put his pinky toe in the blue paint so Turco gets a free pass the rest of the series. :P

Look it up in the rule book and you will see:

In such case as an opposing player puts a pinky toe, be it left or right pinky toe, in a Dallas Stars goaltender's crease, said Dallas Goaltender is from that point on allowed, but not limited to:

Slash

Trip

Punch

Hook the nutsack of

or yell yo mamma jokes at

Any opposing player who comes within his reach for the remainder of the series.

Pay no attention that the rule is scribbled in crayon in Betman's hand writing. It's still official.

:clap: