• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

OK, here is my TiVo-informed opinion, after watching the replay in slo-slo-mo.

1. I don't believe Ozzie hit Ribeiro intentionally. He straightened up out of his goalie's crouch as the clock ran out, and the stick went nowhere except where it would normally go when you stand up. I can't get inside his head, so maybe he did intend to give Ribeiro a poke. But there's nothing there for the league to look at and and say, yup, intentional. Which is pretty much the main thing.

2. Ribeiro hit Ozzie somewhere in that chesty-shoulderish area in front of the armpit. No vitals were hit. It would hardly have sufficed to knock over a domino. Ozzie's dive would shame even the Incredible Floppa, Peter Forsberg. A very dramatic performance.

3. Regardless of the above, the fact remains: Ribeiro took a two-handed slash with the stick at Osgood. Not only after the play was over, but after the game was over. Gone. Suspension. I don't care what the outcome is or what precipitated it or who did or didn't get hurt, you do not take lumberjack chops at an opposing player. Two-handed slash, end of story: Ribeiro sits at least a game.

Sums up my thoughts exactly. There should be no debate about selling the call or whether or not it was in retaliation, there is no place in the game for what Ribeiro did and he should suffer some consequence for it.

Per Ozzie in the post-game presser:

"I stuck my stick out to impede his progress so that he didn't have a free run and one of our best players with 4 seconds left or two seconds left or whatever, but it (butt-end) was accidental, and he (Ribiero) didn't have to go about it like that, I mean were all professionals, and it did hit me in the side of the ribs, it is a bit sore, but I am going to be alright."

Tippett was asked if he expected the NHL to suspend Osgood.

"That's for the higher powers to figure out," Tippett said.

Is there absolutely any chance that something happens to Ozzie!? Please say no. :blink:

No chance.

I like the play on words there. A Star getting the "star" treatment

I sent the following email to VS. Probably won't do any good but I am sick of these idiot announcers. "Dear VS,

I would like to take this time to voice my (and a lot of Detroit fans) utter disgust at your announcers saying the slash to Detroit’s goalie was “justified”. Your announcers are clearly biased against Detroit as they are always making excuses for the teams that Detroit has beaten. NOTHING JUSTIFIES that kind of attack! Other players have been charged criminally for attacks like that! If this is your idea of fair coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs then do us all a favor and STOP COVERING HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I don't care about the circumstances before Ribeiro's axe swing, I just want to see him suspended for at least one game. The NHL has always said that they're going to crack down on those type of shots, so this is the NHL's chance to at least be consistent.

I sent the following email to VS. Probably won't do any good but I am sick of these idiot announcers. "Dear VS,

I would like to take this time to voice my (and a lot of Detroit fans) utter disgust at your announcers saying the slash to Detroit’s goalie was “justified”. Your announcers are clearly biased against Detroit as they are always making excuses for the teams that Detroit has beaten. NOTHING JUSTIFIES that kind of attack! Other players have been charged criminally for attacks like that! If this is your idea of fair coverage of the Stanley Cup playoffs then do us all a favor and STOP COVERING HOCKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

only problem is that what I bolded is the only unbiased part of your email. They will not take it seriously. When emailing those kind of things you need to be 120% professional for them to even consider taking it seriously. Best thing to do is take the evening to cool down from the emotion of the play and write a calm email in the morning.

way to screw yourselves, dallas!

you are behind 2-0 in the series, you lost one of the better defensive forwards in the game (lehtinen), and you start a ted lindsay nostalgia trip (ribeiro).

genius!!! :rolleyes:

Foxsports is leaving it open for an Osgood suspension for a butt end before the slash.

No suspensions or retribution till next season. Then it'll be fun and face mask free. (unless bouncing Dallas from the playoffs count for some)

only problem is that what I bolded is the only unbiased part of your email. They will not take it seriously. When emailing those kind of things you need to be 120% professional for them to even consider taking it seriously. Best thing to do is take the evening to cool down from the emotion of the play and write a calm email in the morning.

Yeah, I know your right but it ticks me off when something is wrong or not wrong, depending on who did it.

According to some Dallas fans, if Ribeiro gets suspended - so should Osgood :rolleyes:

Ribeiro Suspension Thread from dallasstars.com

Hahah I also found this on their boards - for what its worth - from someone who says they were close to the play at the Joe

[/quote

Hey sounds good to me. But the play by the goalies should be looked at as a whole seperate matter.

Start by suspending Ribeiro for whatever amount of games they feel is prudent to stop any more neandrethal behavior after the whistle. For slashing Osgood and throw in some more for him and whoever the other idiot was behind the net, both of which who were running Lidstrum after the whistle.

After you have that settled then lets look at the goalies. But you have to hold them both to the same standard. If you toss Ozzie then you should toss Turco for all the slashing, tripping, rabbit punches to the back of Homer's head. I think we'd do ok with Dom in net against whoever that bush leaguer is that backs up Turco. Can't remember his name atm.

My take on it is that Ribiero had every right to be pissed...hell, if he'd have dropped his gloves, or face-washed Ozzie or called him a ******, all the power to him. But, he can't hack somebody in the chest with his stick...absolutely ridiculous.

(For the record, if Ribiero HAD dropped the gloves, I hope/think Ozzie would have taken him down np. :D)

According to some Dallas fans, if Ribeiro gets suspended - so should Osgood :rolleyes:

Hahah I also found this on their boards - for what its worth - from someone who says they were close to the play at the Joe

Hey sounds good to me. But the play by the goalies should be looked at as a whole seperate matter.

Start by suspending Ribeiro for whatever amount of games they feel is prudent to stop any more neandrethal behavior after the whistle. For slashing Osgood and throw in some more for him and whoever the other idiot was behind the net, both of which who were running Lidstrum after the whistle.

After you have that settled then lets look at the goalies. But you have to hold them both to the same standard. If you toss Ozzie then you should toss Turco for all the slashing, tripping, rabbit punches to the back of Homer's head. I think we'd do ok with Dom in net against whoever that bush leaguer is that backs up Turco. Can't remember his name atm.

Talking about suspending Osgood and Turco is out of this world. They wont even be looked at - their plays are borderline minor penalties. I'm not saying this is YOUR opinion, but yes - talking about suspending both goalies is getting carried away. Ribeiro is the only player that stands a chance at being suspended.

There is no way you could hear that from rows up, no way. Even if Ozzie DID say that, I doubt Ribero would slash Ozzy over THAT, I mean...come on.

Now that is a fact. If Ozzie earned a game by poking Ribeiro (which he didn't) then Turco earned three for tripping a backing Flip, slew-footing Homer, repeatedly punching Homer in the back of the head....

Goalies get away with that stuff all the time and it's understandable that the refs allow them a little leeway here and there. But if the Stars and their fans want to get worked up about Ozzie's tiny little gate-drop, Turco's stickwork ought to get a little scrutiny too.

Well If the NHL is gonna Fine Al for swinging the Octopi........

Then Ribby should get a stiff penalty for swinging a stick!!!!!!

and In My Opinion, the Buttend was during the time of play .. the Slash was AFTER the clock hit 0.00

so yes there should be action taken for that

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

Talking about suspending Osgood and Turco is out of this world. They wont even be looked at - their plays are borderline minor penalties. I'm not saying this is YOUR opinion, but yes - talking about suspending both goalies is getting carried away. Ribeiro is the only player that stands a chance at being suspended.

Oh, I agree with you 100%. Suspending either one of them would be retarded. I'm just saying Osgood sticking his stick out in front of Ribeiro is nothing compared to all the garbage going on at the other end all night.

I'm back now and wow I missed alot of action at the end.

This lil piece of nobody should be suspended, or we get to do the samething once next game. Either one suits me.

Rofl @ this piece of garbage...

if ribs have "meant to" hurt osgood, why would he swing at his chest? if he meant to hurt him, he would have swung at his head, his neck, his wrists....something he can actually hurt.