• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

This is what Ozzie said just a few moments ago: "I was protecting Nick(Lidstrom) from getting run by two guys. If I got him, it was an accident. He could have went about it a different way, or said something to me, rather then two-handing me over the net."

The biggest issue about what happened isn't so much that it was a retalitory act, but I think that the league could rule it an intent to injure. Good thing for him, his reputation will preceed him.

If they don't look at it as intent to injure; game 3 occurs with no suspension.

Every square inch of his torso is fortified in padding. No thanks, I'm not that much of a homer to buy it. Ozzie's doing his job to sell it. Looks like its carried on into the locker room.

He just got done turning aside 90 mph shots to his chest, and you're buying that he was hurt by a weak slash. Puhleeze.

exactly.

For it hurting so bad and being sore, Ozzy wasn't even really sure on where he got hit. :P

:clap:

gcavaughn7000velocity2.jpg

If hit in the side of the chest in the ribs, as ozzie says he was, there is no protection there, and it would hurt.

ANd being hit by 100 mph pucks does indeed hurt...its just expected, so you brace yourself, an unexpected hit warrants such a reaction as Oz gave, not as intense (he sold it a bit) but pain yes and I myself (a goalie) would fall to the ice if someone did that to me...

Every square inch of his torso is fortified in padding. No thanks, I'm not that much of a homer to buy it. Ozzie's doing his job to sell it. Looks like its carried on into the locker room.

He just got done turning aside 90 mph shots to his chest, and you're buying that he was hurt by a weak slash. Puhleeze.

A weak shot wouldnt have broken the stick...and I saw the stick broken on the ice on the tv...

Ribiero intended to injure Osgood, and broke his stick over him.

I don't care if Osgood sold it. The intent to injure was there.

1 game minimum. I don't care who the f*** you are.

OK, here is my TiVo-informed opinion, after watching the replay in slo-slo-mo.

1. I don't believe Ozzie hit Ribeiro intentionally. He straightened up out of his goalie's crouch as the clock ran out, and the stick went nowhere except where it would normally go when you stand up. I can't get inside his head, so maybe he did intend to give Ribeiro a poke. But there's nothing there for the league to look at and and say, yup, intentional. Which is pretty much the main thing.

2. Ribeiro hit Ozzie somewhere in that chesty-shoulderish area in front of the armpit. No vitals were hit. It would hardly have sufficed to knock over a domino. Ozzie's dive would shame even the Incredible Floppa, Peter Forsberg. A very dramatic performance.

3. Regardless of the above, the fact remains: Ribeiro took a two-handed slash with the stick at Osgood. Not only after the play was over, but after the game was over. Gone. Suspension. I don't care what the outcome is or what precipitated it or who did or didn't get hurt, you do not take lumberjack chops at an opposing player. Two-handed slash, end of story: Ribeiro sits at least a game.

He should get a one game suspension. I don't care if he was hit intentionally before or not. A stick is a weapon and CAN injure someone. Even if he was meaning to hit Ozzie in the chest pads, he could have missed and actually injured him. However, I have seen worse things go unpunished (i.e. lebda getting sucker punched last playoffs). The league needs to clamp down on this stick work. <_<

1. I don't believe Ozzie hit Ribeiro intentionally. He straightened up out of his goalie's crouch as the clock ran out, and the stick went nowhere except where it would normally go when you stand up. I can't get inside his head, so maybe he did intend to give Ribeiro a poke. But there's nothing there for the league to look at and and say, yup, intentional. Which is pretty much the main thing.

2. Ribeiro hit Ozzie somewhere in that chesty-shoulderish area in front of the armpit. No vitals were hit. It would hardly have sufficed to knock over a domino. Ozzie's dive would shame even the Incredible Floppa, Peter Forsberg. A very dramatic performance.

3. Regardless of the above, the fact remains: Ribeiro took a two-handed slash with the stick at Osgood. Not only after the play was over, but after the game was over. Gone. Suspension. I don't care what the outcome is or what precipitated it or who did or didn't get hurt, you do not take lumberjack chops at an opposing player. Two-handed slash, end of story: Ribeiro sits at least a game.

Well said

"Rule 43 Attempt to Injure

1. A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts or who deliberately injures an opponent and the circumstances shall be reported to the Commissioner for further action. A substitute for the penalized player shall be permitted at the end of the fifth minute.

A match penalty can be assessed for the following infractions:

1. attempt to injure in any manner* (Rule 43)

2. biting (Rule 41)

3. butt-ending* (Rule 46)

4. cross-checking (Rule 50)

5. deliberate injury in any manner* (Rule 43)

6. hair pulling (Rule 41)

7. head-butting* (Rule 60)

8. high sticking (Rule 61)

9. kicking a player (Rule 69)

10. kneeing (Rule 71)

11. grabbing of the face mask (Rule 41)

12. slashing (Rule 85)

13. slew-footing (Rule 91)

14. spearing* (Rule 86)

15. throwing stick or any object (Rule 88)

16. wearing tape or other material on hands in an altercation* (Rule 56)

17. goalkeeper who uses his blocking glove to the head or face of an opponent* (Rule 84)

(* = match penalty must be assessed when injury results).

2. In addition to the match penalty, the player shall be automatically suspended from further competition until the Commissioner has ruled on the issue.

3. No substitute shall be permitted to take the place of the penalized player until five (5) minutes of actual playing time have elapsed from the time the penalty was imposed.

4. A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure an Official, Manager, Coach or Trainer in any manner and the circumstances shall be reported to the Commissioner for further action. (See also Rule 76 -- Physical Abuse of Officials.)

(NOTE) The Commissioner, upon preliminary investigation indicating the probable imposition of supplementary disciplinary action, may order the immediate suspension of a player who has incurred a match penalty under this Rule, pending the final determination of such supplementary disciplinary action."

nom nom nom! :lol:

He is a great actor! :hehe:

Ribiero intended to injure Osgood, and broke his stick over him.

I don't care if Osgood sold it. The intent to injure was there.

1 game minimum. I don't care who the f*** you are.

:thumbup:

and like another poster said, the game was over at the time of the infraction.

this is another dimension of discipline altogether.

Ribeiro...what an idiot. at least now you will get some rest!

Edited by zombiewing

Ozzie was hit on join of chest and upper ribs. He sold it, but it'll ache a bit in the morning. Stupid thing to do, and in my mind warranting of a 1-2 game suspension becasue it was after the buzzer and there is always a small element of risk that you could really injure someone doing that, even though it wasn;t done that violently.

Shame Ott got 10 mins and not a anything more - not only has he been good for the stars, but trying to sucker punch draper from behind afer having knocked his helment off is in my mind worthy of further disciplinary action. If he'd caught him as he intended, draper could have been pretty badly hurt.

Not to mention Turco slashing and tripping at every opportunity. Despite his good run vs the ducks and sharks, you can't polish a turd..

Nice to see the Stars reverting to their scumbag ways of circa 2000. Scum that they are.

gcavaughn7000velocity2.jpg

If hit in the side of the chest in the ribs, as ozzie says he was, there is no protection there, and it would hurt.

ANd being hit by 100 mph pucks does indeed hurt...its just expected, so you brace yourself, an unexpected hit warrants such a reaction as Oz gave, not as intense (he sold it a bit) but pain yes and I myself (a goalie) would fall to the ice if someone did that to me...

Except that he didn't get hit in the ribs.

Oh, I read further, well if even you would react the same way, that changes everything.

I like your explanation. It's too bad nobody but Ozzie can say what the deal was with his buttend. As an opposing player, I would absolutely be furious about that. Especially after Ozzie had gotten chippy with Ott and co. earlier in the game.

I pretty much agree with BetterRED's synopsis 100%. Not a terrible slash, Ozzie sold it, but they're probably going to hand Ribeiro a game for it because you really can't do that.

Ozzie played a great game. Hell, he's been great for the whole playoff run so far.

Except that he didn't get hit in the ribs.

Oh, I read further, well if even you would react the same way, that changes everything.

The slight personal joust there is uncalled for.

I'm just saying, according to Osgood in the post game interview it was the ribs. I will take him at his word for this since it was him.

There is no protection on the side of the chest.

It would hurt to be hit in the side with a hockey stick where there is no protection, anybody should feel pain if that happened to them.

You have to suspend him for at least one game. Otherwise hockey turns into the movie slapshot.

Absolutely. He needs to be suspended. You cant just swing your stick like that and not expect to receive a punishment. If the league feels Ozzie deliberatly stuck his stick out, then at most they might consider a lighter punishment. I dont know. I guess we will see.

According to some Dallas fans, if Ribeiro gets suspended - so should Osgood :rolleyes:

Ribeiro Suspension Thread from dallasstars.com

Hahah I also found this on their boards - for what its worth - from someone who says they were close to the play at the Joe

Ok well as I said before I was at the game tonight, behind the net, a couple rows up. You could here osgood talking [censored] to ribeiro then ribeiro turning around and saying ill see you in dallas bi tch, and then osgood saying yeah, ill stop and see your mother there too. and then ribs wacked his ass, and then me and my fellow stars fan got up and clapped and then some drunk [censored] behind us called us mother fuc kers... well anyways besides the point, just thought id let people know what happend.
Edited by Yzerfan1999