• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Mclovin

Ribiero's swing at Ozzie

Rate this topic

totally suspension worthy. You can't do that with your stick like Ribeiro did and to be fair Turco was doing a lot worse then what ozzie did and no Wings players use their stick to hit Turco in the throat since the Red Wings knew what would happen to them.

If the league does not suspend him, then the league is saying its ok to use your stick to intentionally hurt a player.

1.) Ozzie gave him a little shot as he was crashing the boards 2.) To me it looked like Ribeiro hit Ozzie in the shoulder and Ozzie sold it very well.

I'm not giving Ribeiro a free pass and do not condone his actions because swinging the stick like that is never called for and cannot be justified, but I believe he will get MAYBE 1 game otherwise just a big fine if anything.

Yeah people didn't like it when I said something similar to this in the GDT.

IS LITTLE OZZIE OK?!?!?! Seriously people? the guys takes 100mph slapshots in the chest. I think he'll survive. He should get an A for selling it though.

let's be perfectly clear:

When someone loses control, like Ribeiro obviously did, it's very easy to hit a goaltender under on on his neck-guard.

Ribeiro's hit was stupid and flatout dangerous.

He should get a 1 or 2 game suspension.

But he probably won't..

"Rule 43 Attempt to Injure

1. A match penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts or who deliberately injures an opponent and the circumstances shall be reported to the Commissioner for further action. A substitute for the penalized player shall be permitted at the end of the fifth minute.

A match penalty can be assessed for the following infractions:

1. attempt to injure in any manner* (Rule 43)

2. biting (Rule 41)

3. butt-ending* (Rule 46)

4. cross-checking (Rule 50)

5. deliberate injury in any manner* (Rule 43)

6. hair pulling (Rule 41)

7. head-butting* (Rule 60)

8. high sticking (Rule 61)

9. kicking a player (Rule 69)

10. kneeing (Rule 71)

11. grabbing of the face mask (Rule 41)

12. slashing (Rule 85)

13. slew-footing (Rule 91)

14. spearing* (Rule 86)

15. throwing stick or any object (Rule 88)

16. wearing tape or other material on hands in an altercation* (Rule 56)

17. goalkeeper who uses his blocking glove to the head or face of an opponent* (Rule 84)

(* = match penalty must be assessed when injury results).

2. In addition to the match penalty, the player shall be automatically suspended from further competition until the Commissioner has ruled on the issue.

3. No substitute shall be permitted to take the place of the penalized player until five (5) minutes of actual playing time have elapsed from the time the penalty was imposed.

4. A game misconduct penalty shall be imposed on any player who deliberately attempts to injure an Official, Manager, Coach or Trainer in any manner and the circumstances shall be reported to the Commissioner for further action. (See also Rule 76 -- Physical Abuse of Officials.)

(NOTE) The Commissioner, upon preliminary investigation indicating the probable imposition of supplementary disciplinary action, may order the immediate suspension of a player who has incurred a match penalty under this Rule, pending the final determination of such supplementary disciplinary action."

McCarty is going to hurt this fool

I'm under the impression that ANY time you swing your stick two handed at a player (ESPECIALLY AFTER A GAME IS ENDED) is a suspension. Regardless of circumstance.

And yes, McCarty is going to hurt this fool.

If I was Campbell, i'd give him 1 game, no more. It was a classless, dirty move with an intent to injure - but I've seen worse go unpunished.

That being said, I expect a slap on the wrist in the form of a fine.

I see a 1-game suspension and a beat down in game four following a swift exit from the WCF.

Also...

Curious, but if Osgood's actions justified Ribeiro's reaction what should Homer have been able to do to Turco for half of the s*** he gave him? I'm guessing criminal homicide.

"20:00 Mike Ribeiro: 10-Minute Match Penalty for Deliberate Injury Chris Osgood" per ESPN boxscore.

Sooo how does that work?

...who knows, it's ESPN.

;) I couldn't help myself.

This thread went from incredibly biased and annoying to pretty level headed. Ozzie should have won an Oscar for that dive. And yes, maybe if every moon of Jupiter aligned and his stick somehow pulled a Lee Harvey Oswald and sliced Ozzie's neck it would have been horrible - but he controlled that stick and swung right at Ozzie's pads. It may lodged one thread loose on his chestpad. That dive was embarrassing to the Wings. I was genuinely concerned at first, but laughed when I saw the replay. C'mon, man. If he intended to hurt Ozzie, than Ozzie intended to kill him. Hitting someone with the buttend of your stick is even more dangerous.

I'm just glad some bad blood will be going back to Dallas. I was a bit annoyed with how controlling we've been the first two games. Let those little Stars make us earn it.

Ribeiro should get a suspension, because his stick swing is a 'deliberate attempt to injure'.

This is very different than Ozzy's butt end.

Yes, Ozzy sold it.

But when you take a two handed swing above the net, you are in a different territory.

That said, he will get one game, nothing more.

C'mon, people. Anyone who's watched Oz play throughout his career has seen him "accidentally" butt-end players skating by just like that countless times. As a matter of fact, I'd almost call that a signature Chris Osgood move. That little clip under the chin followed by the "What? Me? Did I do that?" look. Puhlease. He turned in a couple of BEAUTIES against ToROTno in the '02 Play Offs.

As for the slash? Oz is a big boy. AND he sold the HELL outta that. He's fine. And now he's feeling even feistier than ever before.

All good things.

I've watched the replay tons of times already. Ozzie did NOT intentionally hit Riberio. He put his stick out to somewhat tap him and unfortunately it went a bit high near the face. Regardless, a 2 handed slash to the chest does NOT justify it. Complete BS. Now everyone's calling for Oz to be suspended.

This thread went from incredibly biased and annoying to pretty level headed. Ozzie should have won an Oscar for that dive. And yes, maybe if every moon of Jupiter aligned and his stick somehow pulled a Lee Harvey Oswald and sliced Ozzie's neck it would have been horrible - but he controlled that stick and swung right at Ozzie's pads. It may lodged one thread loose on his chestpad. That dive was embarrassing to the Wings. I was genuinely concerned at first, but laughed when I saw the replay. C'mon, man. If he intended to hurt Ozzie, than Ozzie intended to kill him. Hitting someone with the buttend of your stick is even more dangerous.

I'm just glad some bad blood will be going back to Dallas. I was a bit annoyed with how controlling we've been the first two games. Let those little Stars make us earn it.

Ozzie just said that the hit he got at the end of the game hit him in the side of the ribs, it did hurt, and he is sore.

Just to clarify, the match penalty does not mean an automatic 1 game suspension. It just means he can't play until it's reviewed, and I'm sure it will be before game 3.

That said, it doesn't matter that Ozzie's OK. Swinging your stick like that shows a wanton disregard for the safety of the other player, and NEEDS to be punished. 1 or 2 games will suffice I think, but swinging your stick like that is never OK. Period. You just can't do stupid s*** like that.

Ribeiro should get a suspension, because his stick swing is a 'deliberate attempt to injure'.

This is very different than Ozzy's butt end.

Yes, Ozzy sold it.

But when you take a two handed swing above the net, you are in a different territory.

That said, he will get one game, nothing more.

How is Ozzie stepping away from his position to buttend Ribiero NOT an intent to injure? The only difference was that Ribiero(whose a reknowned diver himself) didn't actually dive and make it seem like he died on the play.

Yes its all a little bias in here...Ozzie is our man through and through right now...8-0 since he came in...if a fly landed on him funny and it irritated him this whole board would kill every fly in sight hoping it was that fly...

The emotion of the initial event also feeds the bias remarks...

That being said, and as I touched in the GDT...Ozzie did clip Ribiero with the butt end a bit, but that is no excuse to slash at a player. That is the same style swing Simon used, only Simon hit a guy in the throat and not the chest. Since Ozzie is okay, I only expect, or feel 1 game is deserved...

But the teams best offensive player out for game 3 down 2-0 in the series....

I think that its all it would take to send the dallas stars the message that that BS will not be toletrated.

Ribiero...Pronger would be proud of you for that one...Pronger would definately be proud.

Ozzie just said that the hit he got at the end of the game hit him in the side of the ribs, it did hurt, and he is sore.

If this is indeed true (as others have said it looked like he got hit in the chest) I can see that. As a goalie I can say that the chest protector has no protection for the [side] ribcage, and a two-hander to it would hurt quite a bit. But seeing as he slashed Oz over the top of the net I am finding it hard to believe he hit him in the ribs. I only saw it once so I could be wrong.

Edited by dallas27

Yeah people didn't like it when I said something similar to this in the GDT.

IS LITTLE OZZIE OK?!?!?! Seriously people? the guys takes 100mph slapshots in the chest. I think he'll survive. He should get an A for selling it though.

:clap:

The majority of the posts about this on Dallas & HF boards are saying that if Ribs gets suspended for this, then so should Osgood, for diving. Now, my question is, if Osgood really did dive, since when does that call for a suspension?

Every square inch of his torso is fortified in padding. No thanks, I'm not that much of a homer to buy it. Ozzie's doing his job to sell it. Looks like its carried on into the locker room.

He just got done turning aside 90 mph shots to his chest, and you're buying that he was hurt by a weak slash. Puhleeze.