• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
tazzer82

Malone wants players to "get their elbows and sticks up"

Rate this topic

This play would also help a lot with the "accidental" stick raising that has been rumored to happen. You stick your teammate in the face... there may be a problem with that.

Although, I'd probably be greatly amused.

Has anyone posted the rest of the quote by Malone? Or just the snippet about getting sticks up?

Kronwall often leaves his feet to deliver hits, but Malone said they are not dirty plays.

"He's actually probably looking at you, waiting for you to put your head down and watch the puck, then he's going to try to run you over," Malone said. "We have guys that do that, too. I don't really think it's a cheap play by any means. It's just part of the game."

He hopes his club can catch Kronwall out of position.

"If he's running around taking chances like that, hopefully we can get a couple of goals when he's stepping up like that," Malone said.

In his defense, I think he is simply referring to the physical play comment and that it didn't work all that well for the Flyers. Obviously the Wings are better than the Flyers, but they are not more physical and if that is their game plan, then I think it is fair to compare to how the Flyers faired in that regard. That said, I think that game plan worked for the Flyers when it comes to Malkin, I think he was off his game for most of that series. However, I think it has somewhat of an opposite effect on Crosby, he seems to thrive off of that type of play.

That's right. Thank you for clarifying my point. The dirty play may have gotten to Malkin a bit, but even the biggest of clean or borderline hits seem to motivate him, if anything. Case in point: Richards absolutely leveled Geno behind the Flyers goal (cleanly) and the play quickly got to the other end while a groggy Malkin slowly made his way to the bench behind the play. He gets to his own blue line and suddenly finds the puck on his stick from an Orpik hit, TO, and stellar pass from Gonchar. He calmly turns with the puck, skates to about 20 feet, stares down Biron while practically standing still, and unleashes his fury with a "take that muthaf***a!" slapshot that Biron never saw. It was the ultimate payback (especially since Richards had defensive responsibility for him on the play).

I just don't see the Wings playing dirty enough to have a negative effect on our guys, and it would only mean they were not playing their own game.

Still the regular season mindset? I wouldn't mind "big George" finding himself in the penalty box for after-the-whistle foolishness, so go right ahead. As long as it's a clean hit then the Penguins player that gets plastered should've kept his head up. Any "retribution" at this stage of the post-season is asking for trouble.

------

Anyone want to place any bets on who Kronwall pastes in Game 1? My pick is Dupuis.

Ruutu. I'd love to see that S.O.B. being taken away on a stretcher.

That's right. Thank you for clarifying my point. The dirty play may have gotten to Malkin a bit, but even the biggest of clean or borderline hits seem to motivate him, if anything. Case in point: Richards absolutely leveled Geno behind the Flyers goal (cleanly) and the play quickly got to the other end while a groggy Malkin slowly made his way to the bench behind the play. He gets to his own blue line and suddenly finds the puck on his stick from an Orpik hit, TO, and stellar pass from Gonchar. He calmly turns with the puck, skates to about 20 feet, stares down Biron while practically standing still, and unleashes his fury with a "take that muthaf***a!" slapshot that Biron never saw. It was the ultimate payback (especially since Richards had defensive responsibility for him on the play).

I just don't see the Wings playing dirty enough to have a negative effect on our guys, and it would only mean they were not playing their own game.

Sidenote: That was the funniest sh*t I've seen so far in this years playoffs. All of a sudden Malkin just winds up from like 20 feet and lets it rip! It was kind of like, "who the f*ck thinks of doing something like that at that range?"

Kudos to him for burying it, though.

:lol:

In regards to that last sentence, that's not entirely correct. True, the Wings won't play dirty but Kronwall, Drake and probably Stuart are going to level Malkin and others throughout the series. The Wings won't adjust their play for the Penguins, but they will *continue* to hit others like they have all postseason.

Edited by Never Forget Mac #25

Sidenote: That was the funniest sh*t I've seen so far in this years playoffs. All of a sudden Malkin just winds up from like 20 feet and lets it rip! It was kind of like, "who the f*ck thinks of doing something like that at that range?"

Kudos to him for burying it, though.

:lol:

Sidenote: In regards to that last sentence, that's not entirely correct. True, the Wings won't play dirty but Kronwall, Drake and probably Stuart are going to level Malkin and others throughout the series. The Wings won't adjust their play for the Penguins, but they will *continue* to hit others like they have all postseason.

Expected. But don't piss off Malkin like Richards did. One of those shots might just put a hole in Osgood instead of hitting the back of the net. ;)

All though Kronwall's hits are a bit questionable Pens fans should now that when it comes to delivering bone-jarring hits Orpirk does not deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Kronwall.

Duly noted and...

:zzz:

(I'm so jealous of all the cool emoticons you have here)

Edited by Dr Rosenrosen

What was said, which can't really be refuted is that he tends to get off his game when physical players have keyed in on him. No one said he was non-existent, just that he can be rattled and taken off his game a little.

Also worth considering is the Pens' lack of experience with the kind of puck-possession game the Wings play. It will throw them for a loop, and it will force them off their collective game. I expect Malkin to be spending more than few shifts running around, unsure of what to do...then maybe he puts his head down for a second because "ZOMG! I FINALLY GOT THE PUCK!"...then you know what happens next.... :judge:

Still the regular season mindset? I wouldn't mind "big George" finding himself in the penalty box for after-the-whistle foolishness, so go right ahead. As long as it's a clean hit then the Penguins player that gets plastered should've kept his head up. Any "retribution" at this stage of the post-season is asking for trouble.

------

Anyone want to place any bets on who Kronwall pastes in Game 1? My pick is Dupuis.

My bet is Malkin, boy likes to skate into the neutral zone with his head down.

All though Kronwall's hits are a bit questionable Pens fans should now that when it comes to delivering bone-jarring hits Orpirk does not deserved to be mentioned in the same breath as Kronwall.

I've seen Orpik throw some pretty damn solid hits. I just haven't noticed any open ice hits in the few Pens games I've watched. But it does make me happy to note that Kronwall has scored 10 more points than Orpik :D

To be fair, a lot -- if not most -- of Kronner's big open-ice hits are questionable.

I disagree with this. I love the Wings but will definitely call out player if they have done wrong. In my opinion, the majority of Kronwall's hits are clean. People think they are questionable because they are not standard body checks. Instead they are when the opposing player least expects it and therefore aren't in a balance position. When he makes contact, it's not always 100% square, so the other player is left in an awkward position, same as Kronwall, and body parts start flying. I'm assuming you think Kronwall's elbow came up on his first big hit of the playoffs against Nashville. You'd be right that his elbow came up, but if you watch the hit in slow motion, his elbow was tucked down against his side, as it should be, then when the two came apart after the collision, Kronwall's elbow came up. It was an illusion that it was an illegal hit when viewing the video at real-time. But, without a doubt, it was completely clean.

As for other hits, again, the opposing player doesn't see it coming and can't prepare so they are left in an awkward, usually low position. When Kronwall comes it, it appears that he is hitting them high. Even though the hits are high, they are legal unless he's leaving his feet. And even in that case, whether it's Kronwall or not, most refs don't call the charging unless the player leaves his feet and drives the opposing player's head into the glass.

I disagree with this. I love the Wings but will definitely call out player if they have done wrong. In my opinion, the majority of Kronwall's hits are clean. People think they are questionable because they are not standard body checks. Instead they are when the opposing player least expects it and therefore aren't in a balance position. When he makes contact, it's not always 100% square, so the other player is left in an awkward position, same as Kronwall, and body parts start flying. I'm assuming you think Kronwall's elbow came up on his first big hit of the playoffs against Nashville. You'd be right that his elbow came up, but if you watch the hit in slow motion, his elbow was tucked down against his side, as it should be, then when the two came apart after the collision, Kronwall's elbow came up. It was an illusion that it was an illegal hit when viewing the video at real-time. But, without a doubt, it was completely clean.

As for other hits, again, the opposing player doesn't see it coming and can't prepare so they are left in an awkward, usually low position. When Kronwall comes it, it appears that he is hitting them high. Even though the hits are high, they are legal unless he's leaving his feet. And even in that case, whether it's Kronwall or not, most refs don't call the charging unless the player leaves his feet and drives the opposing player's head into the glass.

You're not gonna hear complaints from Pens fans on this one. See "Armstrong, Colby"

2 words: Scott Stevens.

This dude surfed the edge between clean and dirty for over a decade. That is how you instill fear--one misfiring synapse when you see Red and a 55 skating in is all it takes to make the difference between a tape to tape pass and a hesitant and slow pass...As long as these kids aren't thinking it's Larry Murphy, that is...

2 words: Scott Stevens.

This dude surfed the edge between clean and dirty for over a decade. That is how you instill fear--one misfiring synapse when you see Red and a 55 skating in is all it takes to make the difference between a tape to tape pass and a hesitant and slow pass...As long as these kids aren't thinking it's Larry Murphy, that is...

I would love it if in 10 years we all were still on this board saying Krowall lived on the edge of Dirty and clean for his career, however at this point in time he is hitting on the edge of clean and dirty. When you are a young player it is called questionable hits, when you are a respected vet that is known for hard border line hits, it is called a greater hard hitter.

If in 10 years we are comparing Kronner to Stevens (more than just saying he is doing what Stevens did) I will be very very happy, in my book Stevens is HOF!!!!

The important impact Kronner has on a game is not just the hit, but the fact that opposing players (as evidenced by Malone's quote) have to be aware of him. Kronner has done a great job of not sacrificing sound play going for the big hit so far. If he continues to pick his spots he can be a very effective presence just by keeping the Penguins forwards honest.

It's true that Georges Laraque goes about his role as enforcer in a "gentlemanly" style, for lack of a better word. But man, I love Big Georges. He's a class act and a pretty decent hockey player, too.

He won't answer to Big George. If Laraque tried to square up against Kronner I'm fairly certain Kronwall would pass and leave that up to Dmac or Downey (both of which would get beat, but are much less important to the Wings than Kronwall is).

I don't think BGL would violate the code and go after a guy giving up around 60lbs and 4 inches. You're more likely to see Malone or Ruutu even Roberts if he's playing police the big hits. I just hope if he does get challenged by one of those guys he doesn't do what Hatcher did with BGL and not back it up. If you're gonna play that kind of game back it up.

As for Malone saying get the stick or elbows up it's widely known that if a guy is a big hitter and you notice it in time that he's coming for you, you turn him into a beaver and make him eat some wood. (Yes I know the sticks aren't made of wood anymore.)

My bet is Malkin, boy likes to skate into the neutral zone with his head down.

No one has caught Malkin yet with one of those bone jarring Stevens on Kariya hits yet. So good luck there. Just like Crosby hasn't had a huge hit put on him yet since being in the league. Not to mention if he goes for that hit and gets burned either one of Crosby or Malkin will make him pay for being out of position.

Edited by Pavel Bure

I don't think BGL would violate the code and go after a guy giving up around 60lbs and 4 inches. You're more likely to see Malone or Ruutu even Roberts if he's playing police the big hits. I just hope if he does get challenged by one of those guys he doesn't do what Hatcher did with BGL and not back it up. If you're gonna play that kind of game back it up.

I can tell you right now you're not going to see Kronwall fighting Laraque. Big George will just be skating around frustrated cause no one will go with him and take a penalty. Your boys are gonna get hit, and there's nothing Laraque can do about it.