• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Conn Smythe Trophy Discussion

Rate this topic

Your Conn Smythe Trophy goes to:  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

How Zetterberg has 50% is beyond me. I guess one game and being over hyped by the announcers all series will do that to you..

1. Franzen

2. Datsyuk

3. Osgood

4. Zetterberg

5. Lidstrom

Franzen missed six games, almost an entire round and hes still leading in goals. Datsyuk has been consistent game in and game out. Osgood has played great, although he didn't have to steal a series.

How Zetterberg has 50% is beyond me. I guess one game and being over hyped by the announcers all series will do that to you..

I don't think you have watched Zetta throughout the playoffs - as in all 4 series.

1. Franzen

2. Datsyuk

3. Osgood

4. Zetterberg

5. Lidstrom

Franzen missed six games, almost an entire round and hes still leading in goals. Datsyuk has been consistent game in and game out. Osgood has played great, although he didn't have to steal a series.

Datsyuk over Osgood? That's a bit surprising. It will be close but if you think about it, Ozzie saved a potential sinking ship after game 4, Round 1 and another 1st round upset.

I think Hank is still leading the league in points and has played stellar thru out, over hyped? You cant be serious.

Edited by Ladsud2002

Datsyuk over Osgood? That's a bit surprising. It will be close but if you think about it, Ozzie saved a potential sinking ship after game 4, Round 1 and another 1st round upset.

The ship wasn't sinking.. We had a piss poor goaltender between the pipes.

Believe me, we don't need Roberto Luongo or Marty Brodeur to stop 20 saves a night. Osgood has played very well but hes hardly the sole reason we're at this point now.

I think Hank is still leading the league in points and has played stellar thru out, over hyped? You cant be serious.

I am serious, it just shows how fickle fans are. Datsyuk had more points then Zetterberg at one point, every was getting off over his play. Points mean nothing unless hes blowing the competition out of the water.

Not to mention, Datsyuk has about four waved off goals/assists.

The ship wasn't sinking.. We had a piss poor goaltender between the pipes.

Believe me, we don't need Roberto Luongo or Marty Brodeur to stop 20 saves a night. Osgood has played very well but hes hardly the sole reason we're at this point now.

I never said sole but I think on this team, in these playoffs, he's the man that came in and stopped the bleeding. Do you think we would have made it this deep into the playoffs with Hasek in net?

I whole hearted believe we would have lost sometime before the finals had we kept him in. We may have weathered the strom in round 1 but not all 4.

How dare you call Dominik Hasek a "piss poor goalie". Have you forgotten that he's half of the reason we are where we are? Were it not for Dom pitching in during the season and pulling down exactly half of the season's victories we would not be on the verge of the Stanley Cup. You ought to have your mouth washed out with soap for that.

How dare you call Dominik Hasek a "piss poor goalie". Have you forgotten that he's half of the reason we are where we are? Were it not for Dom pitching in during the season and pulling down exactly half of the season's victories we would not be on the verge of the Stanley Cup. You ought to have your mouth washed out with soap for that.

A Howard/Osgood combo could have done an equally good job. Both of you are really under rating the Wings defense.

Personally, I still wish the Wings had Cujo. The guy was clutch and the fan base s*** on him. Hasek retired, then came back and forced the Wings hands.

A Howard/Osgood combo could have done an equally good job. Both of you are really under rating the Wings defense.

Personally, I still wish the Wings had Cujo. The guy was clutch and the fan base s*** on him. Hasek retired, then came back and forced the Wings hands.

Hasek did screw up on that one but remember he gave back the rest of his salary that season too.

Hasek did screw up on that one but remember he gave back the rest of his salary that season too.

After causing a goal tending controversy and the subsequent humiliation of Joesph. Joesph said signing in Detroit was the biggest mistake of his career and Hasek caused it. Because of Hasek we suffered through two seasons of Legace, Joesph went to Phoenix and is now a backup for Calgary.

The only reason Hasek was brought back in 03 was because we thought Colorado would sign him.

And he wasn't exactly a "Bargain" this season.

Like I said, Osgood has been great but the defense has been amazing.

Edited by MalkinsJock

I voted for Z. Ozzie is of course deserving and could very well win, but here's my personal logic. Ozzie will likely win his second Cup as the starting Wings goaltender (3rd overall). He's broken several Wing's goalie records and will now be considered a HOF type GT - the Smythe would be great but he's a vet and the Cup alone will be justice for him. I really think the CS trophy would benefit Z more at this stage of his career. He's worked so hard, and in my mind, is underappreciated by hockey fans - being overshadowed by the likes of Crosby et al. He leads the league in PO pts and +/-. His play tonight on the PK in my mind just says it all.

Anyhow, feelings of course are not part of the consideration, but that's would be my choice.

Indeed.

But you can't give the Smythe to a unit. It will be Ozzie. The writers took notice after the two shutouts in a row. Seems like every media outlet that had ever heard of hockey wrote a real nice "Osgood getting his due" piece. He's deserving.

After causing a goal tending controversy and the subsequent humiliation of Joesph. Joesph said signing in Detroit was the biggest mistake of his career and Hasek caused it. Because of Hasek we suffered through two seasons of Legace, Joesph went to Phoenix and is now a backup for Calgary.

The only reason Hasek was brought back in 03 was because we thought Colorado would sign him.

And he wasn't exactly a "Bargain" this season.

I'm not forgiving Hasek for what he did. I honestly felt bad for CuJo. Hasek coming back put everyone in a horrible position.

As for the wings signing him cause Colorado was interested? I doubt that only cause Roy was on the Avs in 2002-03 and I doubt hasek would jump ship to the other side after the epic 2002 duel.

Just my thoughts.

Someone mentioned Datsyuk.... I've been really impressed by his play and toughness this run, but he hasn't scored a goal at home yet. The numbers aren't there for Pav, but he's played awesome.

Kind of reminds me of Fedorov in 2002. I thought he had his best playoffs ever. He wasn't always the one up on the board - but he was a complete player - all over the ice, mistake free, PK, PP, all of it. But those kinds of things don't get you the numbers. Pavel has been outstanding this postseason - but like you said - the numbers are probably not there - as far as intangibles - he's been incredible!

Indeed.

But you can't give the Smythe to a unit. It will be Ozzie. The writers took notice after the two shutouts in a row. Seems like every media outlet that had ever heard of hockey wrote a real nice "Osgood getting his due" piece. He's deserving.

I agree although I don't think the Smythe should be given to a goaltender unless hes been insane. Especially on a team like the Wings. I mean we can all admit, giant shoulder pads or not that hes not playing on par with 2004 Giggy giggy giggy.

Mule sticks out for me. Hank/Dats/Sid/Hossa in my mind, balance each other out. Mule has put together an insane run and provided the secondary scoring that every one said the team needed.

I pick Datsyuk also just because hes been consistently good, even in the absence of scoring.

Osgood, to shut up all his critics going on about how he's the worst goalie to ever win the Stanley Cup.

We wouldn't be where we are if it weren't for his goaltending.

I'm not forgiving Hasek for what he did. I honestly felt bad for CuJo. Hasek coming back put everyone in a horrible position.

As for the wings signing him cause Colorado was interested? I doubt that only cause Roy was on the Avs in 2002-03 and I doubt hasek would jump ship to the other side after the epic 2002 duel.

Just my thoughts.

It was 03-04, Roy had just retired and Joesph's wings were just swept by Anahiem. We already had Joesph and Legace and Dom wanted to play again, the Wings were afraid he would sign for Colorado and obviously he didn't tell Ken Holland that he wouldn't so they were forced to sign him.