• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Chaldean

Conn Smythe Trophy Discussion

Rate this topic

Your Conn Smythe Trophy goes to:  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And Osgood is posting numbers better than any goaltender who has ever won the Smythe. Ever.

And yet his numbers are just barely better than the guy on the other side. That keeps him from being the runaway favorite as it puts his numbers into perspective for these current playoffs. Comparing his numbers to previous playoffs is a bit silly as it's all relative from year to year.

Chris Osgood is proving all the critics wrong and he's been an important part of this playoff run. He's been better than almost anyone wants to give him credit for. He's also been the perfect goaltender in that he handles what a Wings goaltender has to handle - facing very few shots, but the few he does face often being great scoring chances - better than anyone they've had in net since the 2002 version of Hasek.

Unfortunately, a game stealing effort by a Wings goaltender is almost unnecessary to the success of this team, and therefore seen as less valuable. A simply solid NHL goalie will probably be enough to win with this team. That may not be fair, but that's the way it is.

And yet his numbers are just barely better than the guy on the other side. That keeps him from being the runaway favorite as it puts his numbers into perspective for these current playoffs.

For now. If the Wings do like they have been in the rest of Ozzie's games, and average 3.6 goals for and 1.5 goals against, then Fleury's GAA will end up at about 2.30. Likewise, five more similar performances to Game will drop his SV% by over .010 down to about .923. Good numbers, but Ozzie's numbers would then compare quite favorably.

In fewer words, if Ozzie beats Fleury in a playoff series - the scenario which is necessary for Ozzie to be considered - then it won't be hard for the voters to set him apart from his counterpart in net.

Patrick Roy had a .934 save percentage, 4 shutouts, and a 1.70 GAA in their 2001 Stanley Cup win. Giguere had a .945, a 1.96 GAA, and 5 shutouts in the Ducks' 2003 Stanley Cup loss. His numbers are amazing, but not unheard of. I do, however, agree Osgood is the front runner.

Patrick Roy had a .934 save percentage, 4 shutouts, and a 1.70 GAA in their 2001 Stanley Cup win. Giguere Giguere's massively oversized pads had a .945, a 1.96 GAA, and 5 shutouts in the Ducks' 2003 Stanley Cup loss. His numbers are amazing, but not unheard of. I do, however, agree Osgood is the front runner.

:rolleyes:

Unnecessary edit, I know. Made me laugh anyhow. Hopefully it does the same for someone else.

Patrick Roy had a .934 save percentage, 4 shutouts, and a 1.70 GAA in their 2001 Stanley Cup win. Giguere had a .945, a 1.96 GAA, and 5 shutouts in the Ducks' 2003 Stanley Cup loss. His numbers are amazing, but not unheard of. I do, however, agree Osgood is the front runner.

Osgood has better numbers than those two did those years.

And both of them won the Smythe those years.

My first vote right now if the Wings win it is Ozzie with Zetterberg coming a close 2nd and Datsyuk a close 3rd. Franzen had this thing wrapped up if he wouldn't have gotten hurt. I hope the Wings win and Ozzie gets it.

Disclaimer: These are MY opinions.

Zetterberg is still frontrunner. Pavel is close second and the gap is getting smaller every game.

Ozzie is awesome and would totally deserve Conn Smythe. But I am afraid voters will not give him very many votes because of our awesome team defense.

Edited by Reds4Life

Does anyone else see this possibly going to another team's player?

I mean look at the discussions we are having here, we can't pick a definitive winner, do you think another player from another team could win it, I believe it has happened before?

I mean look at the discussions we are having here, we can't pick a definitive winner, do you think another player from another team could win it, I believe it has happened before?

I doubt it. Our players are clearly outplaying Pens.

Fleury has been ordinary at best.

Yeah, it happend before..Giguere in 2003 and few more cases before..

If we win the Cup, one of our players will get Conn Smythe for sure. :)

yah crosby will probabaly get it due to him racking up the points in the finals thus far.

No Pen will win it.

The losing team has never had a player other than the goaltender win, with the exception of Reggie Leach and his goal scoring record. No Pen forward has even come close to that kind of offensive dominance, and Fleury hasn't been considered Pittsburgh's MVP at any point this run.

No Pen will win it.

The losing team has never had a player other than the goaltender win, with the exception of Reggie Leach and his goal scoring record. No Pen forward has even come close to that kind of offensive dominance, and Fleury hasn't been considered Pittsburgh's MVP at any point this run.

I still think it is Ozzie, I was just wondering if any one thought it could happen.

But you bring up a great point it has usually been a non winning goaltender not skater, and while I don't think MAF has been horrible, he hasn't done enough to steal it from a wing!

Yeah gonna go with everyone else on this one it't not gonna happen. It's usually a goalie who does it, like Giguere in 03. Obviously if the Pens come back and win then you'll have to see who has the great turn around but no one is playing well enough right now for the Pens to win it, if they don't win the cup.