• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Hank Dats 'N Homer

Lilja gone?

Rate this topic

...honestly, it's time to move on. How many "One more cup" season are the Wings gonna have before their prospects cannot be reassigned to GRR anymore? If Ericsson or Kindl are ready then, someone has to go. Chelios already said he'll be back FOR SURE, meaning he will pretty play for peanuts to remain the 7th defenseman. Who's expendalbe? Lilja or Lebda...

Lilja is not what this team needs. I think quite a few people pick out the occasional nice things he does and pin their assessments on them.

Lilja is a step slower than most forwards. He doesn't like to get hit, and it was evident in the Pittsburgh series that Penguins forwards started to run at him so he would step to the side (roll the tape, he played scared). For a 10-minute #6 defenseman, there is no way Lilja should make $1 million.

I also think a number of you play to much into what Babcock says about the guy. Lilja was basically a fill-in for Chelios after riding the pine for quite a few games. Do you really think the coach is going to say, "Well, I really like our defense, but Andreas tries to be a goaltender too often, and he's a pansy." No. You don't do that when you are winning games-- why knock a player off his game, even if it is pretty much ineffective.

Andreas Lilja is a #7 defenseman; and in his mid-thirties, we don't need to see him play any more to determine that. Give 10 minutes a game to Ericsson; if he can't do it, there are quite a few defenseman that can give you 10 minutes a game of heart-attack hockey that you can pick up mid-season (as a FA) or at the trade deadline. We don't need to tie up a million bucks plus in a spare part.

He's a nice guy; but he's not what the Wings need to go forward.

somebody gets it, they really do!!!!

somebody gets it, they really do!!!!

In spite of only playing 12 games, Lilja was third among defenseman in hits this postseason with 29 (behind Kronwall and Stuart).

In the regular season, he was the leading hitter among defenseman with 133 in 79 games. Stuart had 118 in 72 games, and Kronwall had 93 in 65 games. Lilja played more games than those guys, but also averaged about 3 minutes less per game.

Again, I'm not saying Lilja is a great defenseman, but he does have value to this team in his limited role. If someone younger and cheaper can take that spot, I am definitely all for it.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

I think Lilja is gone

He has too high of a value of himself

and now that he got so much time in the finals, He will listen to his agent and ask for more.

I don't think Babcock wanted to play him in the finals anyway. Cheli has said he will have to have his knee scoped.

In the Finals. had his knee been healthy, Cheli plays and Lilja sits

I don't think Babcock wanted to play him in the finals anyway. Cheli has said he will have to have his knee scoped.

In the Finals. had his knee been healthy, Cheli plays and Lilja sits

Doubt that. Not only does Chelios give up a lot of size to Lilja, but strength and speed, as well (and as we all know, Lilja is no speed demon.)

Lilja can come in, play the body, and block shots. That's all you need out of a depth d-man.

:rotflmao:

Instant Classic! Seriously, this has to be a joke?

Not a joke, it's true.

I'm not saying that Lilja doesn't have positives. Every NHLer does. However, he doesn't do the "good things" with enough consistency to outweigh the bad things.

I don't understand how posters can say, "well, he hits people" while ignoring his glaring turnovers.

I mean, if we had a guy who punched a referee in the face every time he scored a goal, thus earning multiple suspensions, I have a feeling several posters would defend him by saying "but he scores!" Yes, and he is often suspended for multiple games at a time, thus limiting his value. Lilja hits--so did Gord Kruppke.

It's called player evaluation, and in the role that the Wings have him playing vs. the team's long term plan, Lilja is a blockade to prospect development. But hey, I bet Slava Fetisov could still block some shots with 10 minutes a game. Why not pair him with Lilja. (That's not a knock on Fetisov). Give one spot to a kid; if they need more seasoning, maybe we bring back the "Pain Train" at Christmas-- just in time for him to give a gift of a turnover goal to a divisional opponent.

I think trying to re-sign Stuart might play a role in Lilja coming back, but seriously people I think it's safe to say at most he'll be a #5 or #6 d-man.

Yes his brainfarts are annoying but he's a decent penalty killer and shot blocker. Before people think I am too much on the mushrooms with that statement, that statement has come straight from players or coaches on multiple occassions. Do I wish he could be a little more physical? Sure, but I still think the pros he can bring AS A #5 OR #6 DEFENSEMEN as I stated about are still important to this team.

If Lilja signs somewhere else for a better opportunity and more minutes, it definitely won't kill me and more power to him. I'd like to see Quincey or Meech or Ericsson get more time. But Holland and Wings mgmt know what they are doing in terms of offering guys the right kinda cash and they already said they are willing to re-sign Lilja but only if the two parties can agree on something reasonable. They won't overpay. I wouldn't mind seeing Lilja come back for around $1M - $1.25M at most.

Edited by SouthernWingsFan

Not a joke, it's true.

I'm not saying that Lilja doesn't have positives. Every NHLer does. However, he doesn't do the "good things" with enough consistency to outweigh the bad things.

I don't understand how posters can say, "well, he hits people" while ignoring his glaring turnovers.

I see you're an old member, so you must lurk a lot to say people ignore his turnovers.

i think he'll be gone but i also thought i heard a rumor that meech might be gone as well i would hate to see him go but even if they leave there are still plenty of people that can fill the spot and do good

Um, so who is the 4th D-man on the PK if Lilja goes?

Rafalski? : / Lebda? No way. Chelios? Maybe, but not on consistent basis. A rookie? Not a chance.

Also, so if we get rid of Lilja.....no one has a problem with the complete lack of size we will have on the blue line?

We would have Stuart (assuming he's signed) and that's it. Kronner hits bit, but he isn't big. And don't say Ericsson cuz Lilly Pads has like 30 pounds on him.

I, for one, wouldn't mind seeing him back. I may be in the vast minority, but I like the guy. I like the whole 'Pain Train' thing. It's fun.

I see you're an old member, so you must lurk a lot to say people ignore his turnovers.

I guess you are right-- people don't ignore them when he makes them.

The point I am trying to make is that we can't get Cup Continuation Syndrome-- ie, all flaws are now minor because we won. There is really no argument on Lilja, yet people are quick to point out he blocks shots.

It's hilarious to me to think that only he and George Bush could get credit for doing any sort of decent job covering up for their own mistakes. Granted, every Lilja block is not from him turning the puck over. But come on, guys:

He didn't cost us a SEASON this year. He did a year ago. Do we just want to hope that he doesn't next year?

The point I am trying to make is that we can't get Cup Continuation Syndrome-- ie, all flaws are now minor because we won. There is really no argument on Lilja, yet people are quick to point out he blocks shots.

It's hilarious to me to think that only he and George Bush could get credit for doing any sort of decent job covering up for their own mistakes. Granted, every Lilja block is not from him turning the puck over. But come on, guys:

He didn't cost us a SEASON this year. He did a year ago. Do we just want to hope that he doesn't next year?

Cost us a season? Seriously? That's a bit melodramatic. Maybe you see it differently, but, to me, one play does not make or break a season. Lilja played solid overall last year in the playoffs just as he did this year. You can't crucify Lilja for that one play.

I WISH that VS. would do an 'isolation-cam' on Lilja during any given game for some of you Lilja fans. He is 2 steps behind each play, and in CONSTANT RECOVERY MODE.

I swear, I have nothing personal against him. If he were a greeter at WalMart I'm sure we'd hit it off great.

In a nutshell? The most embarrassing part for Lilja? You play on a team that has Nicklas Lidstrom. For years now. Up close. You can talk to Nick and ask questions and advice and everything. Yet somehow you fail? Frustrating.

Quality post. I totally agree. Nothing personal but he's brutal and if we can make a step up from him we should.

It think Lilja is waiting on Stuart. If Stewie signs, Lilja walks because he is a #5 at best after that when he can be top 4 on another team (a bad team, I know). This is what I hope happens so we can bring in Ericsson, he's ready. No, he won't be a Kronwall his first year, but........neither was Kronwall. Remember that.

Guest redwingsfan04

get rid of the bum!

don't let him have a day with the cup either in the summer he doesnt deserve it for last years blunders