• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Matt

Sharp: Wings should retire Hasek's "39"

Rate this topic

He is either extremely negitive, or extremely ignorant.

Exactly what I think every time I get suckered into reading one of his articles.

As I said on freepress website this is insulting to #'s 1, 7, 9, 10, 12, 19 and the people who wore them.

Edited by Hitchhiker

no no, no no no. I think Hasek was a detrimental part to the Wings success over the past years, but definitely not worthy of having his name up with the likes of Howe and Yzerman.

Besides, living in Denver, I can get an Av's fan to give a real reason why they retired Bourque's number. Then I would be in the same boat. :ranting:

LOL. Detrimental? I think that you mean Instrumental. Detrimental is just the opposite.

det·ri·men·tal Audio Help /ˌdɛtrəˈmɛntl/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[de-truh-men-tl] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation

–adjective 1. causing detriment; damaging; harmful.

nope nada no way no how, i agree with all of ya hang it in buffalo but not in the joe... on that note, if we sign fedorov to his end his carreeer here what do you think the odds are of his number hanging? (hmm sounded like a legit question in my head.

p.s. and i hope in 10-15 years we see 13 and 40 hanging there, after they win us 5 or 6 more cups :)

NO! We don't need him and his number is not going to be retired.

And why do you want only 5-6 cups in 10-15 years? 10-15 cups in 10-15 years is my goal.

NO! We don't need him and his number is not going to be retired.

And why do you want only 5-6 cups in 10-15 years? 10-15 cups in 10-15 years is my goal.

lol true that, i just figure bettman will automatically give the kid at least 5 so he can have more rings the gretzky.

91 did play most of his career here and put up some great numbers, and great memories

Retire 39 because of Hasek, no way no how. I'd much rather see 91 in the rafters because love him or hate him Fedorov did more for the Wings than Hasek. More individual hardware as aWing, more Cups as a Wing, more seasons as a Wing. At least Fedorov didn't retire, spend a year away, unretire and disrupt the locker room when he came back from his pseudo retirement. Bye bye Dom. Thanks but let Buffalo retire your number.

:ranting::ranting:

We just had a thread about whether or not Ozzie gets his number retired and there were many credible arguments casting doubt on THAT happening. If Ozzie's status is doubtful or questionable, then Hasek's by comparison has to be NO.

Appreciate what the guy did for us, but he was not here that long and does not have that 'face of the franchise' quality that Lidstrom, Stevie and others in the rafters have.

Because the Wings have created such a dynasty over the past 10 years we've racked up quite a few premiere players who have been really instrumental in the Wings success and who people want to see retired that I've seen over my time on the site: Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Osgood, Shanahan, Hasek, and etc I've seen all mentioned. While obviously they won't all be retired you can see the reasoning and you know that Hank and Dats are probably not too far to be mentioned in the future if we continue with our success.

But if you look at the teams success over the last 14 or so years...year after year we are #1...we've had 4 Cups...multiple trips to the finals and semis..a 62 win season, and on and on and you can see how we could acquire some names for the rafters...but of the names I mentioned above the least of these is Hasek...he's played very little for the Wings in the scheme of things. Great goaltender yes...retire him in Buffalo.

In an unrelated note...I don't think teams should retire numbers. I think they should hang them in the rafters as an honor...like I believe they do in Toronto...well some other city but I don't remember off the top of my head. Just my opinion on that.

Wings retiring Hasek would be an insult to Sabres organization and to

all reasonable fans of this game. notwithstanding Dom's achievement

it was his Buffalo stint that created the legend and brought him into

spotlight. it's Sabres honor to retire Dom's # if they want to.

same goes to Chelli and Blackhawks. of current Wings there's only

Lidstrom to deserve a number retired. maybe also Oz but that's

a long shot (a valid, though). other than that... sorry, Mr Sharp,

but we're no Colorado to "buy" history. Wings do it by themselves

and not steal from whom it rightfully belongs

But he has played a KEY role in all 4 cups that we have won. I believe that there has to be at least some consideration....

Below are who I consider the five most important players of each Cup run that Draper has been a part of, in order by position (F, D, G)

97: Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Konstantinov, Vernon

98: Yzerman, Fedorov, Shanahan, Lidstrom, Osgood

02: Yzerman, Fedorov, Lidstrom, Chelios, Hasek

08: Zetterberg, Datsyuk, Franzen, Lidstrom, Osgood

Twelve names show up there. Draper is not among them. That's argument enough for me why he doesn't deserve jersey retirement.

Out of respect the Red Wings might keep the number out of circulation for a while or something but that should be it.

Hey....

Maybe they can retire it, then put it back into circulation, then retire it, then put it back into circulation for part of the Season, then retire it....

#5, #30,#91. Period. In that order...

...maybe if they play a significant amount of time here, #40 & #13...

...No #33, no #25, no #18, no #14, NO #39, no #24, no #96 and No to #8... Hell NO to all of those...

It is slim-none that Fedorov gets his number retired.

To quote my friend Dr. evil.............."how about NO.......you freaky Dutch bastard"

Hasek is a hall of fame goalie but not a hall of fame Wing.

I did love the Latke Gravas "thank you veddy much" from teh presser though. Great stuff.

It is slim-none that Fedorov gets his number retired.

It is none..............he left on a horrible note, after trying to leave for Carolina earlier in his run. No way this happens for Sergei.

Ozzie and Lidstrom are a lead-pipe locks when they are done.

i think other than them only Igor Larionov has an outside shot and much of that is based on him leading the Russians all into the league, cracking the door for all of Europe.