• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Doesn't sound like he was Michigan Man material. Good thing you guys really didn't want him anyway.

He could probably use a little bit of "growing as a person" given all the lying he did to reporters and coaches about his commitment. The decommit doesn't bother me - we certainly could have used him, not gonna pretend otherwise, but repeatedly telling people that you're "a thousand percent Michigan" and, oh yeah, having "those who stay will be champions" on your Myspace, all the while planning to book it for Tulsa.....no, that isn't Michigan Man material.

Better a bowl then no bowl like Michigan.

Or MSU, most years in this decade.

He could probably use a little bit of "growing as a person" given all the lying he did to reporters and coaches about his commitment. The decommit doesn't bother me - we certainly could have used him, not gonna pretend otherwise, but repeatedly telling people that you're "a thousand percent Michigan" and, oh yeah, having "those who stay will be champions" on your Myspace, all the while planning to book it for Tulsa.....no, that isn't Michigan Man material.

Really, it's not up to you or me to decide if he's a Michigan Man. We need Mike Hart, the final arbiter of Michigan Man status to weigh in.

I'm disappointed to see him go to Tulsa, we'll miss out on 4 years worth of jokes. But, his leaving proves what we always knew. Beaver doesn't want anything to do with the Michigan football team ;)

Dantonio signs an extension with MSU :D

ORLANDO, Fla. - Michigan State head football coach Mark Dantonio, who has guided the Spartans to 16 victories and back-to-back postseason bowl appearances in his first two seasons, has been rewarded with a revised contract, according to a joint announcement made Friday, Dec. 26 by MSU Athletics Director Mark Hollis and MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon. With the contract revisions, the length and base salary remain the same; however, a $2 million bonus will be payable if Dantonio remains Michigan State's head coach through Jan. 15, 2016.

The 9-3 Spartans will play Georgia Jan. 1, 2009, in the Capital One Bowl in Orlando, Fla. It marks Michigan State's first New Year's Day bowl appearance in nine years.

The contract remains a five-year roll over deal with a base salary of $618,000. With the revisions, his supplemental income increases from $500,000 to $869,000 annually. In addition, Dantonio will receive $100,000 from his shoe/apparel agreement. The revised contract also includes a $200,000 contingent annual bonus if he remains the school's head coach through June 30 each year

Full story

"This revised contract signifies a mutual commitment," Dantonio said. "The University has certainly made a commitment to provide all of the necessary tools to build a championship-caliber program, and I've made a commitment to be the head coach at Michigan State for a very long time.

That is what I like to hear :thumbup:

Didn't RR sign an extension with WVU two years ago?

Disappointed that Dantonio didn't jump ship for Tennessee?

I've said it before, the only way Dantonio possibly leaves is if Ohio State opens up, and I don't see SweaterVest going anywhere. He's a midwest guy, he has previous ties to MSU, and he and his family love East Lansing. He is going to be the coach at MSU for a long time. Don't believe me, just ask him.

"It's not over. I'm going to be a coach here for a long time. It's not over, it's just starting."

-Mark Dantonio.

I've said it before, the only way Dantonio possibly leaves is if Ohio State opens up, and I don't see SweaterVest going anywhere. He's a midwest guy, he has previous ties to MSU, and he and his family love East Lansing. He is going to be the coach at MSU for a long time. Don't believe me, just ask him.

"It's not over. I'm going to be a coach here for a long time. It's not over, it's just starting."

-Mark Dantonio.

It's just that any time I see a coach say he'll stay somewhere for a long time, I don't believe it until he's stayed there for a long time. That's not an RR thing either.....it's an everybody thing. Maybe Dantonio has the best of intentions, but those might be sorely tested if next year some very glamorous job opens up and that school comes calling with a $3 million a year offer.

Well, I'm obviously disappointed with the loss yesterday. I really felt like the Spartans could have won the game, but they blew too many chances. But, I'm really happy with a 9-4 season and the direction the program is headed.

Well, I'm obviously disappointed with the loss yesterday. I really felt like the Spartans could have won the game, but they blew too many chances. But, I'm really happy with a 9-4 season and the direction the program is headed.

To me the game was lost in the first half. MSU owned real estate in GA territory but had practically nothing to show for it. Watching that game with a few friends yesterday, I must have been the most disappointed with a 6-3 halftime lead. You just knew that the 3rd quarter would belong to Matt Stafford. Sure enough, it was.

To me the game was lost in the first half. MSU owned real estate in GA territory but had practically nothing to show for it. Watching that game with a few friends yesterday, I must have been the most disappointed with a 6-3 halftime lead. You just knew that the 3rd quarter would belong to Matt Stafford. Sure enough, it was.

Exactly. There were just too many blown chances.

We need to stop accidentally scheduling really good teams.

It's tough when schedules are done years in advance. I mean, who know that Toledo would be such a power house. Oh, wait :P

MSU had Rutgers for a home and home in 03 and 04. Just our luck to travel to New Jersey when Rutgers is turning their program around. I'm sure the series was originally scheduled back in the late 90's though.

It's tough when schedules are done years in advance. I mean, who know that Toledo would be such a power house. Oh, wait :P

MSU had Rutgers for a home and home in 03 and 04. Just our luck to travel to New Jersey when Rutgers is turning their program around. I'm sure the series was originally scheduled back in the late 90's though.

The Utah one was scheduled a while ago - hell our trip out there for the other end of the home and home was like three years ago. But the App State game - that one was an offseason quickie that I hated from the get-go. This year there's still one more open date and I'm with Brian, the writer of MGoBlog: schedule Yukon State or a team from Togo or something. Word was they were going after Delaware, which would be cool although defeating the purpose of the helmets, and is a dangerously good team besides and shows that a certain athletic director didn't learn a damn lesson.

-Mark Dantonio.

Tressel has said a couple different times he doesn't foresee himself coaching much past his mid-60s if that.

by then Dantonio may be out of the running simply because I think he'll get something going at MSU.

Not feeling nervous at all for the Fiesta Bowl. Maybe it's because I expect us to get beat, or maybe good things are on the way. We'll see, I won't be surprised either way.

I kinda doubt they'll win either, but it will be nice to see Beanie run one more time :P

I just hope it's a good game. Unfortunately my guess is they'll use that dumbass 7 yard cushion they've used for the past 3 years and McCoy will dink and dunk them all the way down the field.

I kinda doubt they'll win either, but it will be nice to see Beanie run one more time :P

I just hope it's a good game. Unfortunately my guess is they'll use that dumbass 7 yard cushion they've used for the past 3 years and McCoy will dink and dunk them all the way down the field.

I dont know how Heacock keeps a job. We can't get this guy a head coaching job at Holy Cross or something? Sure, we're great against the Big Ten teams, but we have no adjustment for anything else.

Beanie should leave. With his injury problems, I don't see the point in staying, although he's letting on that he wants to.

At any rate, this team is overdue to show up in a big non-conference game, that's the little bit of hope I'm holding onto. If we get off to a great start again, I'm going to be highly skeptical.