• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

A Notre Dame fan would know an easy schedule ;) You're right though, its not too tough. CMU will probably be the toughest on the non-conference games. MSU doesn't play OSU or Indiana for the next two years. Not gonna lie, I won't miss playing Pryor has he gets better.

The biggest MSU game in the last 20 years and I have to be at a wedding. Thank god for the college football app on my iPhone.

Good point on ND, can't wait to get my iPhone soon!

If I disappear after this post I think you all know what happened to me ):

Michigan State 28, Penn State 24

Look at the Iowa game and how Greene ran the ball over the Nittany Lions to show that MSU is gonna have success running against PSU. The big questions is will Hoyer deliver and pass effectively. I am saying he does. But I also think that OSU will kill Michigan by a score of like 38-10 so Spartans won't head to the Rose Bowl. Instead they will play Nick Saban and Alabama in the Capital One Bowl :yowza:

More like the Outback now vs Georgia......

Moreno vs Ringer.

Good for the program and for the conference to have two return trips to Florida.

A Notre Dame fan would know an easy schedule ;) You're right though, its not too tough.

Yes, you are most definitely correct. The schedule couldn't have been much easier for Notre Dame and yet they are going to finish 6-6 and get put in a bowl game against a superior opponent and get crushed as usual.

Today is it for me. Losing to Syracuse (one of the worst teams in college football) at home is the final straw. I defended Charlie Weis for long enough when he probably didn't deserve it. I didn't expect anything more than 7-8 wins this season, but regressing as the season went on and losing to Syracuse doesn't cut it. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the superior recruiting to the Willingham years. Charlie can recruit with the best, but clearly he is not head coaching material at the college football level. It's a shame because he loves the University and has represented the program so well.

ND is going to get destroyed by USC next week and Charlie will get fired. Jon Tenuta will coach the bowl loss and then Notre Dame starts the process of finding a new head coach again. This is like a repeat of 2004. The worst part is that Charlie has another likely top ten class for next season that will disappear with the firing.

I'm disappointed and disgusted. Just when I thought the future for Notre Dame football looked promising, it appears nothing has changed. It's a dream, but Jon Gruden would be my first choice as the next coach.

Edited by GoWings1905

It looks like the BCS will have another non-BCS qualifier. I went out to watch most of the Utah-BYU football game and was able to watch all of it starting around late in the 2nd quarter. Utah just took BYU to school, which was a little surprising because BYU is good obviously and Utah's offense has been stuck in mud lately with just 13 points each in their previous two games. They just pistol whipped them though scoring 48 points and their defense caused over 5 turnovers I think. Their season is over at 12-0 and I doubt Boise St. will be able to leapfrog them.

I can only think that if my school wasn't one of their victims in one of the games where they just scored 13 points to where we just absolutely giftwrapped that game for them, my school might be in the BCS as they dominated their last game. :( Oh well though, it's hard to be sour or upset over a 10/11 win season, and my school's been able to accomplish that now 3 times in the last 4 years. That's a pretty good track record.

If 2 non-BCS schools were able to somehow crack the BCS in the same year, then it'd really be mass chaos for the system there. :D

Oklahoma is still for real. I was glancing between that game and the Wings-Flames game while out and they just ran over and around Texas Tech.

Yes, you are most definitely correct. The schedule couldn't have been much easier for Notre Dame and yet they are going to finish 6-6 and get put in a bowl game against a superior opponent and get crushed as usual.

Today is it for me. Losing to Syracuse (one of the worst teams in college football) at home is the final straw. I defended Charlie Weis for long enough when he probably didn't deserve it. I didn't expect anything more than 7-8 wins this season, but regressing as the season went on and losing to Syracuse doesn't cut it. I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt because of the superior recruiting to the Willingham years. Charlie can recruit with the best, but clearly he is not head coaching material at the college football level. It's a shame because he loves the University and has represented the program so well.

ND is going to get destroyed by USC next week and Charlie will get fired. Jon Tenuta will coach the bowl loss and then Notre Dame starts the process of finding a new head coach again. This is like a repeat of 2004. The worst part is that Charlie has another likely top ten class for next season that will disappear with the firing.

I'm disappointed and disgusted. Just when I thought the future for Notre Dame football looked promising, it appears nothing has changed. It's a dream, but Jon Gruden would be my first choice as the next coach.

If they fire Charlie they need to call Brain Kelly ASAP. He would do wonders, and make me cry if he went there.

If they fire Charlie they need to call Brain Kelly ASAP. He would do wonders, and make me cry if he went there.

Yes, I agree completely. I would love to have Brian Kelly as head coach. However, now that I had a day to think about it and settle down from the loss, I really think Swarbrick is going to give Charlie one more year. I honestly don't know if I want or can handle another season of Weis. At this point, I am not sure Notre Dame can do better than Weis. Kelly is probably going to coach Tennessee or Auburn, and who else is out there realistically? Firing another coach means another whole transition, which means at least three more years of mediocre football. The alumni, boosters, and students want Charlie gone yesterday. I think a win in a bowl game may go a long way in deciding on Weis' future.

Ohio State is not going to a BCS bowl this year.

Ohio State has to pass teams in anyone of the below scenarios in order to move ahead of the BCS rankings.

--Texas/Okalahoma/Texas Tech (2 of these teams)

--Oregon State/USC (1 but if Oregon State defeats Oregon then Ohio State would need to pass USC)

--Alabama/Florida (1 of these teams)

Ohio State is going to the Capital One Bowl. MSU is going to the Outback Bowl.

The 10 BCS teams this year are Alabama, Florida, Texas/Oklahoma/Texas Tech (pick 2), USC, Oregon State, Penn State, Florida State, Cincinnati, and Utah.

my guess is

National Championship: Texas vs Florida

Fiesta: Oklahoma vs USC

Rose: Oregon State vs Penn State

Orange: Florida State vs Cincinnati

Sugar: Alabama vs Utah

Edited: Orange bowl now says that they will pick Cincinnati if the Bearcats win the Big East.

Edited by timothy1997

I always like when Texas plays for the national title. My mom went there so it's one of the few times I don't hate both teams involved and have someone to actually root for.

Yeah, timothy, you're right about OSU, I keep forgetting about Utah. Not that I'm terribly heartbroken to be wrong. The only beef I have with your BCS guess is that I think the Sugar would take Utah over Cincinnati.

The ACC championship game could either be really good (Georgia Tech vs. Boston College) or it could be a Meteor Game (FSU vs. VT.) Pulling for UVA (obviously) and BC this weekend.

I always like when Texas plays for the national title. My mom went there so it's one of the few times I don't hate both teams involved and have someone to actually root for.

Yeah, timothy, you're right about OSU, I keep forgetting about Utah. Not that I'm terribly heartbroken to be wrong. The only beef I have with your BCS guess is that I think the Sugar would take Utah over Cincinnati.

The ACC championship game could either be really good (Georgia Tech vs. Boston College) or it could be a Meteor Game (FSU vs. VT.) Pulling for UVA (obviously) and BC this weekend.

No problem. I thought the Spartans were heading to the Capital One Bowl too. After looking at the BCS and how it works, I realize its not gonna happen. The best bet is that Oregon State loses to Oregon and the Pac 10 gets only one slot instead of 2 in the BCS.

Oregon State wins tho, they go to the Rose Bowl despite getting their butt whooped earlier in the season by PSU.

I don't see Alabama going undefeated and gettin by Florida so thats why I got the Gators in the National Championship game. Then I thought on which is the bext conference this year and few could argue with the Big 12 so thats why I got what I think is the Big 12 winner this year. Only problem is that Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech are all in the same divison and all have the same record. Not sure what the tie-breaker rules are for the Big 12.

Of course this all could be screwed up if Missouri wins the Big 12 championship.

As for who MSU would play in the Outback Bowl would be interesting. Quickly who is the next best team in the SEC after Alabama, Florida, and Georgia. Ole Miss?? LSU??

Here are the tie-breaker rules for the Big 12.

Texas, Oklahoma, Texas Tech are all tied in the south divison of the big 12.

If one of these teams lose, Texas against Texas A&M....Oklahoma against Oklahoma St....Texas Tech against Baylor...then its head-to-head.

Oklahoma beat Texas Tech

Texas beat Oklahoma

Texas Tech beat Texas

If all 3 teams win then its based on the BCS in where they rank.

2. Texas 0.9200

3. Oklahoma 0.9100

7. Texas Tech 0.7800

The top team after the final BCS numbers are released soon, get the invite to the Big 12 championship game.

The bigger question is that if Texas and Oklahoma win out, do they both deserve to be in the National Championship game...despite one of them not winning their conference. Oklahoma lost to Texas..are they more worthy of a National Championship game berth despite perhaps not winning their conference. Are they more worthy than a Florida team that might win the SEC and did lose to Ole Miss.

If Missouri beats Texas say and goes to the BCS...does Oklahoma go to the National Championship game over Florida despite not winning the Big 12 or even playing in the Big 12 championship.

If Missouri beats Texas say and goes to the BCS...does Oklahoma go to the National Championship game over Florida despite not winning the Big 12 or even playing in the Big 12 championship.

In that case they might send Penn State or USC. I would hope the BCS voters have enough damn sense not to choose Texas as the best team in the division but OU as the best team in the land. Or vice versa.

In that case they might send Penn State or USC. I would hope the BCS voters have enough damn sense not to choose Texas as the best team in the division but OU as the best team in the land. Or vice versa.

As long as the Billy Bob Cooter's of the sports world are allowed to vote in these polls, there is no such thing as enough sense.

As long as the Billy Bob Cooter's of the sports world are allowed to vote in these polls, there is no such thing as enough sense.

No kidding. There are plenty of idiots who get to vote. They have screwed it up before, and will again. Sometimes I can't believe I still prefer this way over a playoff!

Texas/Florida would be a dynamite championship game. I honestly think Oklahoma is better than Texas now, but there's no way OU should jump Texas because of the head-to-head result. I just can't help but to think about a Florida/Oklahoma game. The final score would be 66-63.

Edited by GoWings1905

Latest bowl projections from ESPN and CBS for teams that may be of interest around here.

Both of them have MSU in the Outback Bowl against South Carolina. To me, this represents the best possible outcome for MSU. A New Year's Day bowl against a SEC team that is very beatable.

Ohio State and Georgia are projected in the Capital One Bowl. While I would have liked to see MSU here, I think MSU would have a much, much tougher time against the Bulldogs. Ohio State is a much more talented team than MSU is, this is a winnable game for the Buckeyes.

Penn State and Oregon State are projected for the Rose Bowl. Again, this is a great outcome for the Big 10 as a whole. They've already annihilated the Beavers once this season. Beating a Pac 10 team that got a lucky win would be great.

Notre Dame to the Sun Bowl against either Arizona, Cal, or Oregon. I don't know a whole lot about Oregon or Arizona, but I wouldn't expect the Irish to break their bowl losing streak this year.

Michigan...Michigan...I can't seem to find them listed anywhere ;)

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/bowls/predictions

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/bowlprojecti...008&week=13