• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
timothy1997

2008 College Football Thread

Rate this topic

Michigan State was a program on the rise in 2003. They were a program on the rise in 2000. They were a program on the rise in 1997. A program on the rise in 1993. And a program on the rise in 1988. Oh yeah, and a program on the rise in 1985. There's always some recruit, or a win over Michigan, or new coach, or lucky new helmet design that is going to turn the corner.

Look I'm not ripping your view on Dantonio. He has done a great job, but I've seen this story unfold before. Before I get ripped for saying all this I just want to make one thing clear: I said 2 years ago my gut feeling was Dantonio was going to bring MSU to a higher level, and John Beilein would bring U-M basketball to a higher level. It's been my feeling from day 1 for both hires.

That's certainly a fair assessment and I won't argue with you. The only consistant thing about MSU for the last 20, hell 35 years is their inconsistancy. Whereas in that same time frame, Michigan has been the model of consistancy.

It will be interesting to see how both Dantonio and Beilein do. I think Dantonio came into a better situation. Michigan basketball has been horrible since the Fab 5 and was probably at a lower level than MSU football. But, it takes a lot less to turn around a basketball program than it does a football program. Beilein will make Michigan a tournament team in the next year or two. He's going to be a good coach there. It's probably fortunate for him that he seems to run a completely different system than Izzo and they probably won't be competing for a lot of the same players. It will also be interesting to see if he's using Michigan as a stepping stone to a better basketball school.

And that is where my belief that Dantonio will continue to improve MSU comes from. He doesn't look to be going anywhere. The only job I can see him leaving for would be Ohio State. He's a midwest guy, he and his family seem to love East Lansing and MSU. He and Izzo are buddies. Those are things that JLS didn't seem to have. He wasn't local, he didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the university. I don't think JLS is a bad guy, same with Bobby. They just weren't the right men for the job. I honestly think Dantonio going to be here for a long time, he's going to be another Izzo, or Bo.

The other difference with MSU is they finally have an administration that gets it. President Simon and AD Hollis understand how to play the game. The administration blew it with Saban, not that he would have stayed anyway. They blew it with Bobby. They got it right when they let John L go. They don't seem to be letting the board of trustees get overly involved, like has happened in years past. Between Simon, Hollis, Dantonio, Izzo, and even Comley, things are looking good at MSU.

Not that anyone didn't see it coming, but it's finally starting to unfold.....What a shame

http://texastech.rivals.com/default.asp?SR=RivalsFP

I first thought that was going to be about Mike Leach (my favorite coach not named Dantonio) and his trip to Seattle.

Not too surprising about McGuffie, word on the street is he wasn't at the team banquet.

That's certainly a fair assessment and I won't argue with you. The only consistant thing about MSU for the last 20, hell 35 years is their inconsistancy. Whereas in that same time frame, Michigan has been the model of consistancy.

It will be interesting to see how both Dantonio and Beilein do. I think Dantonio came into a better situation. Michigan basketball has been horrible since the Fab 5 and was probably at a lower level than MSU football. But, it takes a lot less to turn around a basketball program than it does a football program. Beilein will make Michigan a tournament team in the next year or two. He's going to be a good coach there. It's probably fortunate for him that he seems to run a completely different system than Izzo and they probably won't be competing for a lot of the same players. It will also be interesting to see if he's using Michigan as a stepping stone to a better basketball school.

And that is where my belief that Dantonio will continue to improve MSU comes from. He doesn't look to be going anywhere. The only job I can see him leaving for would be Ohio State. He's a midwest guy, he and his family seem to love East Lansing and MSU. He and Izzo are buddies. Those are things that JLS didn't seem to have. He wasn't local, he didn't seem to fit in with the rest of the university. I don't think JLS is a bad guy, same with Bobby. They just weren't the right men for the job. I honestly think Dantonio going to be here for a long time, he's going to be another Izzo, or Bo.

The other difference with MSU is they finally have an administration that gets it. President Simon and AD Hollis understand how to play the game. The administration blew it with Saban, not that he would have stayed anyway. They blew it with Bobby. They got it right when they let John L go. They don't seem to be letting the board of trustees get overly involved, like has happened in years past. Between Simon, Hollis, Dantonio, Izzo, and even Comley, things are looking good at MSU.

I first thought that was going to be about Mike Leach (my favorite coach not named Dantonio) and his trip to Seattle.

Not too surprising about McGuffie, word on the street is he wasn't at the team banquet.

I agree with all this. From what I understand most MSU people who actually knew JLS really liked him, but his problem was he didn't reach out to hardly any former players/alums which is a big mistake. Dantonio on the other hand is huge on this. I guess I could understand not reaching out because first of all you have a million things to do as a head football coach at a big school, and you also get a bunch of opinions on how to do things when you have your own agenda. At the same time though you need those people for support, and the big donations.

As for Beilein...I read an article about him last year going to Michigan just because of the name. He had no idea the program was a mess, and the facilities were a joke. He came here because he thought the name, along with is coaching could get a higher level of player. I think he is here for good, and will not use it as a stepping stone. One interesting rumor I've heard though is his dream job since the first day he started coaching was Syracuse. That could be interesting because I could see that job opening down the road.

I love Leach too. The guy doesn't give a s*** about anything!!

The McGuffie thing is too bad, but he has always been kind of a question mark from the start. He wavered his commitment a million times in high school because he liked that Texas A/M was so close, and his mom was an alum, but his Dad is from Michigan, and wanted him to go there. On signing day he didn't send in his letter in because all of a sudden he loved Cal. Then he got here in the summer and already said publicly he missed the heck out of Texas, and football was the only thing he liked about Michigan. Now recently someone very close in his family passed away, and there is something going on with his 16 year old brother so I guess those 2 elements sealed the deal. I wish him well. It will be interesting to see what he does, because he got 3 concussions this season. He could become a Eric Lindros of football.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

Aside from the BCS bowls, pretty much everything has been filled. The logical BCS picks for the Big 10 are Penn State in the Rose and Ohio State in the Fiesta. As far as the rest of them.

Michigan State in the Capitol One against Georgia.

Iowa in the Outback against South Carolina. Iowa jumped NW. The Cats had a better record and beat Iowa head to head. Unfortunately, they don't have much of a fanbase.

Minnesota in the Insight against Kansas.

Northwestern in the Alamo against Missouri.

Wisconsin in the Champs Sports against Florida State

Alabama-Texas and OSU-Utah would have been more entertaining/evenly matched games, in my opinion.

Definitely agreed.

I don't know, maybe these seniors will finally show up for a big game. Maybe Texas will be distraught about missing out on the National Championship game and will play as bad as we do.

Edited by Hockeytown Red Wings

Crazy to think that Utah can go undefeated, Oklahoma can win as well as Texas and the Sooners would win the NC, despite losing to Texas and Utah undefeated.

MSU heading to Capital One Bowl against Georgia. A win would do wonders for the program. Ringer's final game for MSU..might as well give him 60-70 carries. :yowza:

Crazy to think that Utah can go undefeated, Oklahoma can win as well as Texas and the Sooners would win the NC, despite losing to Texas and Utah undefeated.

MSU heading to Capital One Bowl against Georgia. A win would do wonders for the program. Ringer's final game for MSU..might as well give him 60-70 carries. :yowza:

C'mon Sparty! Do it for the Big Ten! I was actually hoping we'd get that game, because I like our chances. As you can tell, I've been scarred by every recent "big" game.

Of course the last non conference big game we won was against Texas. I'm talking myself into this...

I am really looking forward to my school's matchup against undefeated Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl on Dec. 23rd. Probably the best non-BCS bowl out there, and both these schools are BCS worthy this year I think if it weren't so crowded, with Boise State being undefeated and TCU even though they've lost twice, those two losses coming to top-10 teams (Oklahoma and Utah).

The other part of me thinks though that if my school just totally didn't give their game away to Utah, they'd be in the Sugar Bowl in my hometown and I'd be going to that game live and acting like a giddy little schoolgirl. We just giftwrapped Utah that game. This makes me sour. :(

Ah well, can't have everything in life and being ranked in the top-15 right now is nothing to complain about.

Another mommy's boy ***** (Beaver) decides to stay in Texas and go to Tulsa.

Hello Forcier =]

If a kid's mom is going to control their child's recruitment why don't you do this 3 months ago, or don't even let him commit to Michigan? What a joke! He was going to start taking classes at U-M in 2 weeks. We'll find someone else to fill his spot before Feb 6.

Another mommy's boy ***** (Beaver) decides to stay in Texas and go to Tulsa.

Hello Forcier =]

If a kid's mom is going to control their child's recruitment why don't you do this 3 months ago, or don't even let him commit to Michigan? What a joke! He was going to start taking classes at U-M in 2 weeks. We'll find someone else to fill his spot before Feb 6.

Of course, its so much better to have your coach turn in his letter of resignation via grad assistant. Right? Oh yeah, and Tulsa is in Oklahoma. You a General Studies major at UM? ;)

Losing the 3rd or 4th best QB in the state of Texas to Tulsa? I can see Pryor choosing OSU over UM or something similar...but Tulsa? I enjoyed what he said about Tulsa and UM as well.

Beaver said TU coach Todd Graham discussed the importance of growing as a person away from the football field, an emphasis that Michigan didn’t approach. It made a difference, the player said.

Doesn't sound like he was Michigan Man material. Good thing you guys really didn't want him anyway.

Of course, its so much better to have your coach turn in his letter of resignation via grad assistant. Right? Oh yeah, and Tulsa is in Oklahoma. You a General Studies major at UM? ;)

Losing the 3rd or 4th best QB in the state of Texas to Tulsa? I can see Pryor choosing OSU over UM or something similar...but Tulsa? I enjoyed what he said about Tulsa and UM as well.

Doesn't sound like he was Michigan Man material. Good thing you guys really didn't want him anyway.

I had no clue where freakin App St was either, tiny little no name schools in the southern USA doesn't matter much to me. Hope he enjoys playing in the Independence Bowl or PapaJohnsPizzaHutDominosJetsLittleCaesars Bowl every year.

If someone doesnt want to be here then get the hell out, heart can play better than talent if the game is on the line.

I had no clue where freakin App St was either, tiny little no name schools in the southern USA doesn't matter much to me. Hope he enjoys playing in the Independence Bowl or PapaJohnsPizzaHutDominosJetsLittleCaesars Bowl every year.

I admit that not a whole lot happens in Tulsa that I know of, and as a Texan, I don't care too much about the Okies. But you'd think someone would have at least heard of the the place. It is the second largest city in Oklahoma.

This cracks me up, a highly rated recruit leaves the leaders and the best for Tulsa. Not Florida. Not USC. Not even Ohio State. And it gets spun into that we didn't want him anyway. Apparently "our helmets have wings" isn't the recruiting pitch that it used to be.

Forcier isn't fully signed either yet Michigan fans. He still has Oregon and Penn State on his list of schools to go to. Michigan better hope he signs for them because their is nothing else out there.

That was the most arrogant comment ever! Do some research. Forcier is all signed up for U-M classes, and is moving to AA January 3. He isn't going anywhere!!!!! Wishful thinking right there.....Instead of worrying about our recruiting you should focus on your own. Word on the street is Lane Kiffen wants Maxwell to visit Rock Top after X-Mas.

This cracks me up, a highly rated recruit leaves the leaders and the best for Tulsa. Not Florida. Not USC. Not even Ohio State. And it gets spun into that we didn't want him anyway. Apparently "our helmets have wings" isn't the recruiting pitch that it used to be.

That is not true either. I loved Beaver since I watched him play on ESPN. It's a tough blow, but there are other QB's out there, and we already have one. Who cares if he went to Tulsa, instead of USC, OSU, etc? It's the kids choice to spend the next four years of his life. Last year DJ Woods, a WR went to Cincy over MSU...big deal.

Edited by mannysBETTER3434

That was the most arrogant comment ever! Do some research. Forcier is all signed up for U-M classes, and is moving to AA January 3. He isn't going anywhere!!!!! Wishful thinking right there.....Instead of worrying about our recruiting you should focus on your own. Word on the street is Lane Kiffen wants Maxwell to visit Rock Top after X-Mas.

No one is technically signed yet. They can't sign officially until National Signing Day. Show me an article that shows Forcier is signed.

Edwin Baker and Andrew Maxwell are MSU's top offense recruits but they still have to sign first.

I would think Michigan fans would learn from last year in Pryor that even tho someone is verbally committed, it doesn't mean they are there until signed.

Edited by timothy1997

No one is technically signed yet. They can't sign officially until National Signing Day. Show me an article that shows Forcier is signed.

Edwin Baker and Andrew Maxwell are MSU's top offense recruits but they still have to sign first.

I would think Michigan fans would learn from last year in Pryor that even tho someone is verbally committed, it doesn't mean they are there until signed.

Yes you are right on signing. I don't understand your Pryor comment, because he was never committed anywhere. In fact, he didn't even sign on signing day because he was still confused and waited 2 or 3 more weeks to pick OSU.

Quotes from Forcier's Dad: "Tate is all graduated! He just did it. He will be in Ann Arbor January 3rd, and will start in workouts with Barwis. And he has friends up there on campus, and family in the Detroit area ... so there'll be no problems in that regard with Tate!"

I don't remember Pryor verballing anywhere, but I don't follow recruiting that much. I thought the deal was everyone thought he was heading to WVU, so when RichRod left (and called Pryor on his WVU phone during the dead period) the assumption was he was coming to UM.

But I could be wrong.

I don't remember Pryor verballing anywhere, but I don't follow recruiting that much. I thought the deal was everyone thought he was heading to WVU, so when RichRod left (and called Pryor on his WVU phone during the dead period) the assumption was he was coming to UM.

But I could be wrong.

No he didn't. He had a OSU, PSU, ORE, and WVU in his final four, but WVU was never really a factor because it wasn't prestigious. So when RR went to U-M everyone assumed he would go there because he switched WVU and U-M on his list, and his offense would be going to a prestigious school with immediate playing time. Then he delayed his choice way beyond signing day because he liked OSU, his dad loved PSU, Charlie Batch (his mentor) wanted Michigan, and he still wanted to visit Oregon.