• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Shutemdown

Chelios hopes to retire in Chicago.

Rate this topic

Taken from the Detroit Free Press, August 25th, 2008.

Chris Chelios intends on returning to Blackhawks some day

"Aren't they satisfied with poaching Scotty Bowman?

Chris Chelios had his time with the Stanley Cup last week and took it to his hometown of Chicago. Of course, he was asked if he'd like to come back and finish his career there.

"You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings," Chelios told the Chicago Tribune. "I found a new home in Detroit, but Chicago is always going to be home. My parents still live here, and I intend on coming back home here some day and spending the rest of my days here, whether it's as a player or somehow being involved with the Blackhawks."

Can't fault a guy for that.

Cheli added: "Hopefully I don't have to look ahead that far and just worry about playing now."

Chelios, 46, took the Cup to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field on Friday and said he also planned to hit U.S. Cellular Field -- the White Sox are his team -- and other spots.

"We'll just do a milk run all over the city," he said. "I know I'm bringing it with the wrong team, but at least I brought it back home."

He also was asked about that other Red Wings defenseman from Chicagoland, Brett Lebda, dropping the Cup and denting it during a party at Cheli's Chili right after the finals.

"North Sider," Chelios said."

Thoughts/opinions?

Meh.. I love Cheli to death, but I'm not suprised.

Now would be a perfect time for him to suit up as a hawk and retire there. We already have enough of a logjam defensively( though I know he will be signing here again and provides great mentoring)...

Edited by ilmickeyli

Taken from the Detroit Free Press, August 25th, 2008.

Chris Chelios intends on returning to Blackhawks some day

"You don't want to hurt anyone's feelings," Chelios told the Chicago Tribune. "I found a new home in Detroit, but Chicago is always going to be home. My parents still live here, and I intend on coming back home here some day and spending the rest of my days here, whether it's as a player or somehow being involved with the Blackhawks."

Cheli added: "Hopefully I don't have to look ahead that far and just worry about playing now."

Now I realize Cheli is Mr. Conditioning and all... but at least to me, it seems like he's speaking as if he's in his mid 20's, not mid 40's! Some day he might play in Chicago? To me it'd seem like it's now or never... as far as playing... but they do call him a freak I guess...

That's never been a big secret. As far as I can remember he's always said he'd like to retire a blackhawk, and would probably go into the hall as a blackhawk. No big deal, he'll sign as a free agent for $1 and then retire. Doubtful it would be after playing a whole year. Funny thing to me is, 3 cups none with chicago. (Mont, Detroit)

That's exactly what he'll do next year, and those ******* moronic Blackhawk "fans", who spit on the idea of showing those losers hardware most of them haven't had a sniff of, save for 1991 (or was it 1992?).

Keep rooting for the Cubs...

Chelios has been one of my favorites since he was dealt here, but that doesnt change the fact I wouldnt be able to look at him again if he re-signed in Chicago. I really dont think it will happen though, Chicago are far from contending and needing veterans, but if Cheli stays around for a couple more years, who knows.

The Blackhawks have cap issues of their own. They are something like $4 million over the cap at the present moment. I guess that is what happens when you have $13 million wrapped up in goaltender salary. Oh well, it would be nice for Chris to have an early homecoming but it's not going to happen this year. I wonder what kind of reception he will get from the fans when and if he returns to the hawks?

I'd be interested to hear the feedback from Chicagoians if he went back to the Blackhawks. This is thre first time I've read or heard about this, I thought Chelios would just eventually peter out in Detroit at some point in time (75 years old maybe? :P), but this shouldn't be too shocking. He was a Blackhawk for a long time. If he wants to finish out there, more power to him and I wouldn't hold any grudges or ill will towards him whatsoever.

I personally think it's a little bit of lip service for the Chicago fans and a little bit of the writing on the wall in Detroit. Reality is we have a back-log at defense and Chelios may not want to retire when Detroit is ready to stop signing him, so he wants to keep relations open. Make no mistake, Chelios will stay in Detroit as long as he can, he has four restaurants in the metro detroit area. He owns a multi-million dollar home here.

I'd be interested to hear the feedback from Chicagoians if he went back to the Blackhawks. This is thre first time I've read or heard about this, I thought Chelios would just eventually peter out in Detroit at some point in time (75 years old maybe? :P), but this shouldn't be too shocking. He was a Blackhawk for a long time. If he wants to finish out there, more power to him and I wouldn't hold any grudges or ill will towards him whatsoever.

I don't think a lot of People Realize, That Chelios has now played as many seasons as a wing as he did as a hawk. He played 8 1/2 years as a Hawk, and 8 1/2 seasons with detroit, with one season lost to lockout. So really, 9 1/2 years compared to 8 1/2 with chicago. Granted he did play more games with the Hawks and that 1/2 year, he played 65 games with chicago, and only 10 +playoffs with Detroit.

Next year, he'll have played more seasons with Detroit than he did as a Hawk.

He Also played 7 years with Montreal.

I understand why he's remembered as a Hawk, he was the face of that Franchise, and the gave up Dennis Savard for him. That's huge, But as mentioned previously, he's won Cups in det. and Montreal, and He won his first Norris as a Hab. Weird how he's practically played 1 third of his career in each city, But is universally recognized as a Hawk.

Guest nutz2u
:bye1: No time like the present. It's been nice, loved it while you were here and don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out.

Guest nutz2u
I don't think a lot of People Realize, That Chelios has now played as many seasons as a wing as he did as a hawk. He played 8 1/2 years as a Hawk, and 8 1/2 seasons with detroit, with one season lost to lockout. So really, 9 1/2 years compared to 8 1/2 with chicago. Granted he did play more games with the Hawks and that 1/2 year, he played 65 games with chicago, and only 10 +playoffs with Detroit.

Next year, he'll have played more seasons with Detroit than he did as a Hawk.

He Also played 7 years with Montreal.

I understand why he's remembered as a Hawk, he was the face of that Franchise, and the gave up Dennis Savard for him. That's huge, But as mentioned previously, he's won Cups in det. and Montreal, and He won his first Norris as a Hab. Weird how he's practically played 1 third of his career in each city, But is universally recognized as a Hawk.

Look at his profile, then you will know why he is recognized as a blackhawk. They used him as a model for the Blackhawk on their jersey. :D

It's a non story. He's from there, his parents are there. Obviously he's true to the Wings as a player. It doesn't even say he specifically wants to end there a player there. Anyone surprised by this doesn't know anything about him. If he said he wanted to retire a Canadian I'd be surprised, but a Black Hawk? No. I'd be surprised if he said other. And again particularly the way he said it.

Bye Chris, it's been fun. If you want to retire there, go for it. As a fan I thank you for all that you have given. Now is the time.

Anybody else think he was just playing to the audience? I would almost think he is more likely to retire a Blackhawk and become a coach. I don't think they are likely to want to sign him and take a roster spot from a young player...like is happening to the wings right now.