• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Drake_Marcus

Lidstrom & Datsyuk suspended for skipping ASG

Rate this topic

Nashville is having to buy their own tickets in order to qualify for the full revenue sharing....Their first owner lost between 70 to 90 mill. They have struggled ever since the franchise has been in existance. This year is no different. Ownership is giving them the first 10 games after the break to try and make a move or more than likely we'll see the farm system for the remainder of the season. San Joses owner and Dallas owner both have been reprimanded by Bettman for making comments about this franchise's financial troubles.

Phoenix is in deep trouble, their ownership has reportedly lost 30 mill per for at least the past 2 seasons, and is on track to lose 45 mill this season. The league is currently allowing them to borrow against their revenue sharing, and player movement has to be approved by the NHL front office. They have improved their attendance this season with their current 5th or 6th place standing in the West, but they have a horrible deal with the city of Glendale, who runs that Jobing.com arena. One crazy stipulation is that its free parking for the fans, but the Coyotes have to pay a fee to the city for each vehicle that parks in their lots. Ends up being around 7 million per season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...orce_login=true

thats from January 16th, but I think you may only get part of that article. May have to purchase the rest. Gretzky admits they are in financial difficulty though.

Atlanta is in not so good shape, their team is terrible and nobody goes to see that team play. When Kovalchuk is dealt or leave in free agency, it will only get worse.

Need I continue ??????

You can add the Islanders to that list, as well.

They're owned by a crook who's only purpose in buying the Team is to steal the land immediately surrounding NVMC, something which every owner has attempted for decades, thus far without success.

The Isles are barely at the salary cap floor, are last in the League in attendance, and claim to have been losing upwards of $10-15M per year since Mr. Crookedy bought the Team. He's purposely destroying the Team in order to get the fans to put pressure on local politicians to force his development plans through, so he can get his hands on the land. If he's successful, God help Islanders fans.

Tampa is in financial trouble. As are the Panthers.

The only reason that these Teams have not failed, outright, is because they're being propped up by the stronger Teams in the League.

Bettman has been a miserable failure, and he's brought the NHL to the brink of destruction.

And who is it, do you think, who makes travel arrangements for Nick Lidstrom, his wife, and their four sons, if they were to decide to go to....say.....Hawaii for the All-Star Break? Or perhaps to Disneyland? The Bahamas?

And how simple do you think it would be to switch all of those plans, for a family of 6, and all within less than 24 hours notice of the League advising that "you don't have to play, but you have to show up"?

Do you actually read the s*** you post?

Lets see, probably one of the dozens of people paid for by the organization to cater to players needs during the season.

Hell I work for a company of 300 people, and don't make a fraction of what these guys do and I have someone to make my travel plans for me.

- As stated earlier this rule has been in effect all year, and is hardly a surprise.

- What ever plans they made, they made at the last minute, unless they aren't really hurt and they just wanted an excuse to get out of going. Whats the problem?

- If they are that hurt and can't make an hour flight to Montreal, how the hell are they able to fly to Hawaii?

Bulls*** excuses all the way around.

And who is it, do you think, who makes travel arrangements for Nick Lidstrom, his wife, and their four sons, if they were to decide to go to....say.....Hawaii for the All-Star Break? Or perhaps to Disneyland? The Bahamas?

I see. Up until Tuesday they were slated to play in the ASG over the weekend. But somehow, magically, they were able to achieve the very same feats that you claim to be impossible. While battling a crippling injury. They were injured so badly that they decided to book these huge, fictitious, vacations in a matter of a couple days. Are you seeing the flaw in your logic yet?

And how simple do you think it would be to switch all of those plans, for a family of 6, and all within less than 24 hours notice of the League advising that "you don't have to play, but you have to show up"?

It must be really simple if they were able to construct these huge, irreversable family vacations in the span of a couple days.

I can see it now:

Team Doctor: Hey Nick, I'm sorry. Those elbows aren't looking good.

Lidstrom: HONEY!! DID YOU HEAR THAT!?! I'M HURT. BOOK THE FLIGHT TO SWEDEN... NOW!!!

Get real...

Edited by Broken 16

Nashville is having to buy their own tickets in order to qualify for the full revenue sharing....Their first owner lost between 70 to 90 mill. They have struggled ever since the franchise has been in existance. This year is no different. Ownership is giving them the first 10 games after the break to try and make a move or more than likely we'll see the farm system for the remainder of the season. San Joses owner and Dallas owner both have been reprimanded by Bettman for making comments about this franchise's financial troubles.

Phoenix is in deep trouble, their ownership has reportedly lost 30 mill per for at least the past 2 seasons, and is on track to lose 45 mill this season. The league is currently allowing them to borrow against their revenue sharing, and player movement has to be approved by the NHL front office. They have improved their attendance this season with their current 5th or 6th place standing in the West, but they have a horrible deal with the city of Glendale, who runs that Jobing.com arena. One crazy stipulation is that its free parking for the fans, but the Coyotes have to pay a fee to the city for each vehicle that parks in their lots. Ends up being around 7 million per season.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Pag...orce_login=true

thats from January 16th, but I think you may only get part of that article. May have to purchase the rest. Gretzky admits they are in financial difficulty though.

Atlanta is in not so good shape, their team is terrible and nobody goes to see that team play. When Kovalchuk is dealt or leave in free agency, it will only get worse.

Need I continue ??????

Nashville- (which had an excellent prospectus and raised initial funds faster than any franchise in NHL history)

What does Bettman have to do with Phoenix? The Winnipeg Jets put themselves up for sale in June 1992 (John Ziegler was the NHL's president at the time). Through 3 years, there were no offers from any prospective buyers to keep them in Winnipeg. There was an offer from a Toronto group, but they wanted to move the team to Atlanta. There was an offer from a Calgary group, who wanted to move the team to Minneapolis (who had just lost the North Stars). In 1995, the Shenkarow group opened up the bidding for the franchise to all comers. A group from Phoenix led by Steven Gluckstern and Richard Burke eventually bought the team (at a lower price than asked) and moved the team to Phoenix. So what does Bettman have to do Phoenix?

Atlanta has failed once but 26 owners liked the money they would be getting, so team is staying. Bottom line is all these teams are making money.

So please continue....

Edited by Coolio Mendez

Lets see, probably one of the dozens of people paid for by the organization to cater to players needs during the season.

Hell I work for a company of 300 people, and don't make a fraction of what these guys do and I have someone to make my travel plans for me.

Well then....

You're a fortunate individual, if your company takes care of all of the travel arrangements for your personal family vacations. Do they schedule your wifes manicures, and drive your kids to Little League, too?

Because that is what we're talking about here.

- As stated earlier this rule has been in effect all year, and is hardly a surprise.

The "rule" was originally that any player not playing in the ASG would have to sit out either one game before, or one game after, the ASG weekend. It was later amended to be any player who did not show up for the festivities would have to sit out either one game before, or one game after, the ASG weekend. By the time this "amendment" was announced, it was rather too late for either Wings Player to do much of anything about it.

Both Nick and Pavel have wives, and families. Sidney Crosby is 22 years old, and still lives at Mario Lemieux's house. Again, quite a bit easier for him to change his plans for the weekend, than for Nick Lidstrom to change travel plans for a family of 6 at the last moment.

In fact, not even a fair comparison.

- What ever plans they made, they made at the last minute, unless they aren't really hurt and they just wanted an excuse to get out of going. Whats the problem?

Once again, much easier to make plans for a family of 6, on the fly, than it is to CHANGE THEM, completely, on the fly. Especially with young children.

- If they are that hurt and can't make an hour flight to Montreal, how the hell are they able to fly to Hawaii?

A flight to Hawaii, followed by 3-5 days of relaxation with the family, on the beach. Or....

A flight to Montreal, followed by three days of media scrums, photo ops, meetings with Sponsors, etc.

Did you catch the comments from Lids and Ozzie after last years ASG? How it was non-stop, go-go-go, not a moment to take a breath before being wisked off to the next "event"? How the whole weekend was "fun", but exhausting?

Edited by Outsider

You can add the Islanders to that list, as well.

They're owned by a crook who's only purpose in buying the Team is to steal the land immediately surrounding NVMC, something which every owner has attempted for decades, thus far without success.

The Isles are barely at the salary cap floor, are last in the League in attendance, and claim to have been losing upwards of $10-15M per year since Mr. Crookedy bought the Team. He's purposely destroying the Team in order to get the fans to put pressure on local politicians to force his development plans through, so he can get his hands on the land. If he's successful, God help Islanders fans.

Tampa is in financial trouble. As are the Panthers.

The only reason that these Teams have not failed, outright, is because they're being propped up by the stronger Teams in the League.

Bettman has been a miserable failure, and he's brought the NHL to the brink of destruction.

Wang isn't going to leave and give up the 2nd most lucrative cable TV deal in the NHL (behind only the Rangers). He still makes money despite the bad attendance. He could make more by putting a good product on the ice.

Bettman has only added 4 teams to the NHL, all other teams were added by John Ziegler (San Jose, Anaheim, Tampa, and Miami. Again Bettman had nothing to with the Florida expansions. So what does all this have to do with Bettman?

Wang isn't going to leave and give up the 2nd most lucrative cable TV deal in the NHL (behind only the Rangers). He still makes money despite the bad attendance. He could make more by putting a good product on the ice.

Bettman has only added 4 teams to the NHL, all other teams were added by John Ziegler (San Jose, Anaheim, Tampa, and Miami. Again Bettman had nothing to with the Florida expansions. So what does all this have to do with Bettman?

Wang has no interest in the Islanders. None. And there will be no better product on the ice than what there is right now.

All he wants is the land.

Edited by Outsider

Bulls*** excuses all the way around.

Does the company you work for also find a replacement for you if you call in sick, and then later call your supervisor, tell him to tell you to hop a plane and come and watch your replacement work, and run your name through the mud because you didn't come to work after you called in sick and were given permission to take the time off? Just because one of your co-workers broke the precedent of not coming to work sick and showed up anyway? And your supervisor didn't even call and tell you that the boss wanted you there because he knew you were sick?

Sure, you have to use your sick time. You knew that when you called in, and you were prepared to deal with that. But now you get called out for being a selfish prima donna for not showing up after you called in and were given permission to be gone?

Find me one All-Star who has ever been expected to attend just to watch the game, despite being injured after a replacement has been found. Before Friday morning when Crosby hopped that plane no one has.

Not arguing with the suspensions. They knew that was going to happen. Just arguing with the notion that they somehow knew 2 days in advance that Bettman was going to change the rules in the middle of the game, only giving them hours to act, despite no one calling them and telling them that they had the option.

Edited by 55fan

You can thank the team owner - Mike Ilitch, he was one of the two governors (Alan Cohen of Florida was the other) who wanted this stupid rule.

Hey, I've been looking around the web for information about this rule- how it came about, what it says exactly, all that stuff. Would you mind letting me know where you found that? I'd be interested in reading the whole thing. Thanks!

Suspension was warranted. It's the original rule. It was voted on and passed by the GM's. This rule has been in effect all year. I don't blame the league that teams didn't take the rule seriously and make arrangements when all they had to do was pick up the phone and handle it like Crosby did. Think before you post.

Lidstrom could have went and, in my opinion, should have. He's not injured. He has sore elbows.

The bottom line is that the Wings could have, and should have sent SOMEBODY. I'm sure more than a few younger players would have been thrilled to go. It looks to me like the Wings basically thumbed their nose at the league. The Wings are at fault here too, in my opinion. Obviously not as much as Bettman.

Are you f***in' retarded? NOBODY IS CONTESTING THE SUSPENSION. How many times does that have to be said? Get a life already!

esteef

Okay, so now they are saying it isn't really a suspension, because they still get paid. So what if they said, "to hell with it" and played anyway??? What would the League do to them???

I would like to hear Pasha and Nick's side of this before we condemn them to hockey hell. It would only be fair.

Okay, so now they are saying it isn't really a suspension, because they still get paid. So what if they said, "to hell with it" and played anyway??? What would the League do to them???

I would like to hear Pasha and Nick's side of this before we condemn them to hockey hell. It would only be fair.

Which begs the $173,000 question, Kira.

How can the League "demand" that Lids and Dats both miss the game, while still requiring Mike Ilitch to pay them $91K and $82K, (respectively), for taking an involuntary day off .

If the League wants them to sit for the Game, but not to forfeit any pay, shouldn't the League pay them for the day? And if they're not willing to do that, what right do they have to force Player personnel decisions on the Wings, without offering some cap relief in exchange, so that the Wings have some space to call up two Players to replace those the League has ordered not to play?

And I don't need to hear Nick and Pavel's "side" to this. They decided they weren't well enough to attend the festivities.

That's more than good enough for me. Should have been good enough for the League, too.

And if the NHL had a better Commissioner, perhaps Players would get back that sense of pride they used to have when they were selected to play in the ASG, and there wouldn't be any risk of Players looking to "skip out" on the game in the first place.

Bettman keeps creating problems to force solutions to the problems he's continually creating.

Quite true, my friend...quite true.

Something tells me there is more to this than we know, but I don't think we will ever know the whole thing. I'd still like to hear from Nick and Pasha...since they are the two in the middle of this.

Honestly, if it's just a one-game thing, I wouldn't be opposed to people just boycotting the thing outright every year. It's not like the Wings are going to forfeit a playoff spot by missing two players in a single game, and frankly it seems like the best way to call for some kind of reform in the voting system and overall structure of the ASG.

bettman apparently bad mouthed lidstrom and dats in a CBC interview, has anyone seen it?

I saw the interview. Ron MacLean was really grilling Betmann about it, clearly on Datsyuk & Lidstrom's side, but Bettman just kept coming back with his canned response and said they're responsible for their own actions. He actually got kind of flustered. Ron MacLean is great in his interviews with the commish.

Edit:

He kinda takes a couple quick little shots at them too.

Edit 2: He starts talking about Nick and Pavs about 6 minutes in.

Edited by SeeinRed

Guest micah
I'm going to assume that you have never had tendonitis before, and don't know what it can do to you. Speaking from experience, it hurts and can play merry hell on your ability to perform even the simplest tasks.

Nick and Pasha would not ask for time off like this if they were not hurting...they are not that type of person. Neither one of them.

Bravo Siera.

I've had tendinitis. It hurts. So what? It didn't stop me from doing anything.

I'm sure that it wasn't a walk in the park for Vladimir Konstantinov to make the trip to the Cup finals in 1998 or to hobble across the ice at Steve Yzerman's number retirement. He did it anyway, because he is something that niether Nick or Pavel have ever been, tough.

Gordy Howe has a very sick wife and played a more games with less protection in a much tougher era than primadonnas like Nick or Pavel - yet he still makes tiome to show up for stupid activities to promote the game he loves.

It was refreshing to see AO at the skills competition - smiling, seemingly just thankful to be there. The guy leads the league in hits, I don't doubt that he's got a few bumps and bruises - but he showed up, and that counts big in my book.

Bravo Siera.

I've had tendinitis. It hurts. So what? It didn't stop me from doing anything.

I'm sure that it wasn't a walk in the park for Vladimir Konstantinov to make the trip to the Cup finals in 1998 or to hobble across the ice at Steve Yzerman's number retirement. He did it anyway, because he is something that niether Nick or Pavel have ever been, tough.

Gordy Howe has a very sick wife and played a more games with less protection in a much tougher era than primadonnas like Nick or Pavel - yet he still makes tiome to show up for stupid activities to promote the game he loves.

It was refreshing to see AO at the skills competition - smiling, seemingly just thankful to be there. The guy leads the league in hits, I don't doubt that he's got a few bumps and bruises - but he showed up, and that counts big in my book.

I'm sorry dude, but this is ridiculous. Now you're questioning their toughness? They have legitimate injuries that prevented them from playing. At the time that they told the league that they would not be playing, there was no expectation for them to attend otherwise. The injuries didn't prevent them from attending the off-ice stuff, they didn't know the league expected them to be there for that until FRIDAY, when that expectation became clear through the "Crosby conversation". Had that expectation been in place all along I have no doubt that they would have been there.

Edited by lets go pavel

Guest micah
I'm sorry dude, but this is ridiculous. Now you're questioning their toughness? They have legitimate injuries that prevented them from playing. At the time that they told the league that they would not be playing, there was no expectation for them to attend otherwise. The injuries didn't prevent them from attending the off-ice stuff, they didn't know the league expected them to be there for that until FRIDAY, when that expectation became clear through the "Crosby conversation". Had that expectation been in place all along I have no doubt that they would have been there.

Yes, I am absolutely questioning their toughness.

Team captains and alternate captains should be stand-up men who lead by example, play through pain, stick up for their teamates, etc. Steve Yzerman. Cam Neely. Wendel Clark. Mark Messier. Those were tough men. Niether Paval nor Nick has ever struck me as being particularily tough. The All star game is an honour - these two d-bags should have been proud to show up and represent the Wings and the NHL to the best of their ability, nagging pain or not.

Team captains and alternate captains should be stand-up men who lead by example, play through pain, stick up for their teamates, etc. Steve Yzerman. Cam Neely. Wendel Clark. Mark Messier. Those were tough men. Niether Paval nor Nick has ever struck me as being particularily tough. The All star game is an honour - these two d-bags should have been proud to show up and represent the Wings and the NHL to the best of their ability, nagging pain or not.

Go cheer for another team, seriously. If Lidstrom and Datsyuk are not "tough" enough for you, and are literally "d-bags" in your estimation, there is not much this team has going for you. It is a free country and you are free to cheer on anyone you wish. I personally think you have s***-for-a-brain.

Edited by egroen

Oh please Nick has been in the league more YEARS than games he's missed for crying out loud and he's a Defenseman.

to question his toughness is a slap in the face and for that you deserve one too. He has been the most durable player the wings have had in recent years and you are calling him out....... obviously your not a REAL wings fan

speaking of playing through pain.... what about Cry Baby Crosby??? the supposed "FACE OF THE NHL" he didnt play either.....

Edited by Hockeytown_Ryan

The All star game is an honour a joke

Fixed.

Right, because all of those guys played through injuries in pointless exhibition games regardless of how important it is for their team for them to keep healthy for games that matter.

Edited by Datsyerberger

Hey, do you know where i could find that picture in your avatar?

One of my friends works for the Wings....she had it on her Facebook page. Not sure if she actually took it (or one of her friends), but I haven't seen it anywhere else honestly.

Nick has missed 28 games due to injury in 1296 career games.

Tell me exactly how that isn't tough.