• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hossa8109

Franzen or Hudler

Rate this topic

Not sure why there are so many people set on getting Franzen signed over Hudler. Taking injuries, money, work ethic, points, and age into account I would have to go with Hudler. What do you guys think?

Edited by hossa8109

Datsyuk, Zetterberg, Holmstrom, Cleary, Filppula, Draper, Maltby are all signed. So for those who are not, the order of priority should be: Hossa first if possible. Then Hudler. Then Franzen if possible. Then Samuelsson if possible. Kopecky is likely as he will sign for close to the league minimum. After that, if the Wings need to open cap space, they will most likely either trade Filppula and/or Cleary from forwards and Lebda and/or Lilja from the defense. Conklin may sign elsewhere, and if Larsson beats out Howard, don't expect to see Howard in Grand Rapids next season.

Franzen has better size, is a faster skater, is a better net front presence and is better defensively than Hudler.

Hudler has better offensive instincts, is a better playmaker, is younger, is a better skater (like Datsyuk is a better skater than Draper, but not faster), puts forth more of a consistent effort and will most likely be cheaper.

Hudler is 4-5 years younger than Franzen and has significantly outproduced him with less minutes every year. I flip-flop back and forth between which one I think is more important to the future of the team.

Right now, I side with Hudler, as I think he has more room for improvement and will be cheaper.

I also think Hudler is more comparable to Franzen in terms of value than he is to Filppula.

Edited by egroen

Size? Skill? 2-Way Forward? Net Pressense?

your right, Hudler is better.

Offensively, Hudler is light years better than Franzen. He has a better shot, better stick skills, and he might be the best pure passer on the team. Franzen is a better hitter and defender, but that's about it.

Size? Skill? 2-Way Forward? Net Pressense?

your right, Hudler is better.

Half right. Size and Net presence.

2-way forwards typically aren't considered lazy (franzen). Franzen has skill, but Hudler actually uses his skill to produce.

Edited by hossa8109

After watching the majority of games over both Hudler's and Franzen's tenure as Wings there is an awful lot that goes through my head. But for some reason (and I have nothing to back this up) I feel like Franzen scores more timely goals. Hudler's goals always seem to come when we are already scoring. I know it's an intangible and it is an opinion and I am sure someone will come along and post stats to disprove me but it's just a gut feeling.

We have a need for both talents though. I will be happy if we are able to keep either/both.

Hudler for me. He brings offensive instincts to the table that Franzen doesn't. Sure, the Mule will put up 40 goals in a good year, but IMHO, he doesn't make players around him better. Hudler does, and while he is not as good on the defensive end, we have enough forwards who are.

I say we stick with Hudler, I like the Mule a lot but I'm willing to bet if he goes to another team those fans will be disappointed. Hudler is cheaper, younger, actually plays tougher, plays with more heart, and better offensively. His defense is improving a lot also; this coming from someone who wasn't a fan of us a few years ago. Hossa/Hudler/Franzen.

I hope we can talk Hudler/Franzen into waiting until Lidstrom is off the books.

Question: If Draper retires this year, his cap hit is here to stay. But what were to happen if Illitch bought him out at the end of the season then he retired?

Franzen is a better goal scorer, has a bigger body, and is great around the net (no where near as good as Holmstrom though). With that said, I sometimes question his work ethic, his defensive play, and his puck-moving abilities.

Overall I think Hudler is the better player. Franzen has hands of gold, but Hudler also has the same problem that Datsyuk had in his first few seasons; he just doesn't shoot enough. He's got a tremendous shot, and could put up quite a few goals if he had some capable linemates (Hossa, now that Zetterberg and Datsyuk are back together) and some more ice time. He has greatly improved his skating, and I never question his work ethic. He's also defensively sound, and keeps himself out of the penalty box. And the biggest thing, IMO, is that Hudler is only 25 years old (compared to Franzen, who is 30).

And just to throw some stats out there, Franzen plays 5 minutes more than Hudler every game, on average. Hudler is ahead of Franzen by 10 points with 8 more games played. Even without those 8 games, Franzen has played 822 minutes, whereas Hudler has played 722 minutes.

Franzen is a better goal scorer, has a bigger body, and is great around the net (no where near as good as Holmstrom though). With that said, I sometimes question his work ethic, his defensive play, and his puck-moving abilities.

Overall I think Hudler is the better player. Franzen has hands of gold, but Hudler also has the same problem that Datsyuk had in his first few seasons; he just doesn't shoot enough. He's got a tremendous shot, and could put up quite a few goals if he had some capable linemates (Hossa, now that Zetterberg and Datsyuk are back together) and some more ice time. He has greatly improved his skating, and I never question his work ethic. He's also defensively sound, and keeps himself out of the penalty box. And the biggest thing, IMO, is that Hudler is only 25 years old (compared to Franzen, who is 30).

And just to throw some stats out there, Franzen plays 5 minutes more than Hudler every game, on average. Hudler is ahead of Franzen by 10 points with 8 more games played. Even without those 8 games, Franzen has played 822 minutes, whereas Hudler has played 722 minutes.

I was on the hfboards prospect section yesterday and someone was asking if a player was compared to dats, later he asked if dats was known for defense when drafted and pretty much every wings fan said no. Point being is with the way Hudler has been hustling and playing pretty damn good d this year there is no doubt in my mind that he could become a good two way player given another 2-3 years under Z/Datsyuk. He has a heart Franzen could only dream of.

Guest mindfly

I'd probably pick Hudler instead he make sick passes all the time... im getting tired of franzen's injuries all the time and the guy seem to have stopped deflecting pucks in front of the net, he lost the edge... >_<

Edited by mindfly

Hudler used to be too easy to knock off the puck, but this season I think he has finally learned how to dance with the puck like Dats does.

Franzen is better around the net, but I think that's mostly because of his size.

On this team, players like Hudler, Samuelsson, Filppula, etc, are expendable and very replaceable. Franzen, despite being injury prone lately, is not.

My biggest problem with this statement is "puck distribution".

Datsyuk is obviously an awesome playmaker - but who else really is?

Zetterberg is good, but I'm not sure if he is as good as Hudler.

Hossa is pretty good. Filppula is decent and so is Cleary. Leino shows promise.

Draper and Maltby are Ok. Samuelsson is ok to horrible, depending on the situation.

Franzen is down there with Holmstrom and Kopecky - guys that just are not very good passers at all.

I think Hudler is so important because he is a legitimate elite playmaker, which we only have one of (two if you count Zetterberg) amongst our forwards. The fact he has an awesome shot is just a bonus.

Franzen at 30 is at or close to his peak... Hudler at 25 still has a ways to go.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA
Franzen has better size, is a faster skater, is a better net front presence and is better defensively than Hudler.

Hudler has better offensive instincts, is a better playmaker, is younger, is a better skater (like Datsyuk is a better skater than Draper, but not faster), puts forth more of a consistent effort and will most likely be cheaper.

Hudler is 4-5 years younger than Franzen and has significantly outproduced him with less minutes every year. I flip-flop back and forth between which one I think is more important to the future of the team.

Right now, I side with Hudler, as I think he has more room for improvement and will be cheaper.

I also think Hudler is more comparable to Franzen in terms of value than he is to Filppula.

Re. Bolded: Really?

Agree with everything else. In 2 years Hudler may have eclisped Zetterberg, let alone Franzen

Franzen can create scoring chances for himself better than Hudler can. Just look at the way he played last year in the playoffs. Like a man possessed. I can't envision Hudler playing like that. He's too easy to knock off the puck.

And on the other hand Hudler can create scoring chances for others better than anyone but Pavel. Hudler is ridiculously hard to knock off the puck. Especially for a guy his size. If he were Franzen's size he'd be Jagr.

i would take hudler over frazen hands down, HEART i think is the thing that seerates them the most, not saying Franzen doesn't have it but hudler seems to me like if he doesn't sign with the wings he will just quit the nhl (i know he wouldn't, but he seems like a redwing for life to me). As people have already said he is an amazing playmaker and stickhandler as well i woul say2nd only to Dats in both regards, Sure he is a small guy but he is always in there giving it his all every shift. And I have never heard of him complaining about anything even though he is constantly being shafted by babs.

And on the other hand Hudler can create scoring chances for others better than anyone but Pavel. Hudler is ridiculously hard to knock off the puck. Especially for a guy his size. If he were Franzen's size he'd be Jagr.

If he were Franzen's size, he'd be much better than Jagr because Jagr could never backcheck or take faceoffs like Hudler does.