• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

3/12 GDT: Flames 6 at Red Wings 5 (SO)

Rate this topic

No, what I'm doing is taking the words people are actually saying (not words I've made up) and using them against them. If they want to say the team is s***, we won't get past the 1st round, it's time to make tee times, we won't repeat.....yada yada yada, well......I'm throwing those words back in their faces. If they end up being right when all is said and done, then they end up being right. However, I prefer to think that we're in 1st place and fighting for the President's Trophy, with a team that is virtually the same as last year's Cup-winning squad. I have faith that the guys will hunker down and do what they need to in order to repeat.

So far the wings have shown us they can't hunker down the past couple weeks. An 8-0 lost to the preds, and an 8-2 lost to the Jackets and now this. If the wings keep coasting like this into the playoffs the least of there worries for the president's cup will be San Jose. New Jersey is making a push and is only 6 pts behind with one game in hand. I can take 2-0 losses or a 3-2 loss, but giving up 8 goals on two separate occasions is terrible. Last year we went through this stretch in Feb., but it feels different this year the D is not clicking and the goal tending is suspect. The wings can probably pull out of it, but if they don't they will be scheduling tee times.

Ummm the differences between last year's goaltending and defense and this year is night and day...

Is it just me or am I the only one who sees this?

I do. We were stuck in our zone for far too long toinght and let in one too many iffy goals.

It's possible for fans to think "You know, I just don't think our team has what it takes this year" and still be fans of the team. It doesn't mean they're necessarily bandwagoners or anything like that. I don't know why you take such pride in attempting to belittle people on this board. It's kinda... :blink:

Well said aflac! :thumbup:

Ummm the differences between last year's goaltending and defense and this year is night and day...

Is it just me or am I the only one who sees this?

do people actually read before they reply, or is that a lost art form?

several people have already agreed with the obvious work that must be done to secure more victories and be playoff-ready... but how does what you said even begin to address my request for somebody to explain how ________________ is enough to undeniably give up on this team?

my point (and others' for that matter) is that even these few points of contention don't begin to rule out the possibility of this team defending the cup.

people... we're just as susceptible to disappointment but we're (those of us who are tired of the chicken little's of the world) not about to abandon anyone or anything based on the reasons people have discussed thus far.

that won't change, and it shouldn't.

do people actually read before they reply, or is that a lost art form?

several people have already agreed with the obvious work that must be done to secure more victories and be playoff-ready... but how does what you said even begin to address my request for somebody to explain how ________________ is enough to undeniably give up on this team?

my point (and others' for that matter) is that even these few points of contention don't begin to rule out the possibility of this team defending the cup.

people... we're just as susceptible to disappointment but we're (those of us who are tired of the chicken little's of the world) not about to abandon anyone or anything based on the reasons people have discussed thus far.

that won't change, and it shouldn't.

I'm not giving up on this team but when you know they can do better it's extremely frustrating.

Yes, you are right. But also very wrong. By in large the Wings goaltending and D have been terrible in nearly every game, I would say, over 70%. And yes, the Wings still do win a huge number of games. BUT the point is, in the play-offs, goaltending tends to win more series then just scoring. If Mason, or Rinne, or basically any guy goes on a 2-3 game hot streak, Wings are out. The Wings have won every single game by pure out-scoring opponents, not by shutting them down defensively, and as we've seen nearly every year, that's not how to win a Cup.
ASTUTE.

I'm not gonna defend our goaltending or our defensive play at times this year. I'm not that blind. The one argument that seems to be going around here is the " If we run into a hot goalie in the 1st round we are in trouble". This is a very reasonable statement but who's to say that Conks or Ozzie dont get on a good run and play out of their minds for a month come playoff time. It goes both ways !! I've said it before and I'll say it again..I dont like the way we are playing in our own end or in goal but come playoff time this team will be ready to go and have a gameplan in place to win. Whether they can execute it or not is up to them. For someone other than us to win the cup this year someone is going to have to beat us and until that day comes I dont have a doubt in my mind that this team can win the cup again !!!

seriously... is this a joke?

you said this was the worst defense you have ever seen with the wings....

i will accept that with validity (arguably) if you began watching this team in the 90s but if not.... this year's defense doesn't come close to being the worst ever.

help me understand what exactly you meant if you've watched this team for longer than the past two decades.... i'm sincerely interested.

i didn't watch hockey in the eighties. this is the worst defensively i've ever seen the wings. the fact that you have to go back 20 years to find a wings team comparably defensively should be a bit of a red flag that this team is s*** on defense this year.

let me ask you this, how many cups did the wings win in the eighties?

this team has a problem on defense. and it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the talent. it would be understandable. but this team is probably the deepest defensive team in the league. the have some of the top defensive forwards in the league. our play this season has been terrible in our zone from game one. nothing has changed. it is a concern. if you aren't concerned, you're fooling yourself. this team needs to get it's ass in gear!!

Has it been mentioned that the Wings are (tied) #1 in the league? Cause Cleary did that, Cleary gave us that point :)

Bless his buns. He and Kiprusoff should both get gold stars tatooed on their beehinds.

Lastly, I predict the next time the Oz is in goal he will play well. I have this hunch that now he feels more needed than he did and he will start coming through again. Chortle if you will, I'm sticking with it.

i didn't watch hockey in the eighties. this is the worst defensively i've ever seen the wings. the fact that you have to go back 20 years to find a wings team comparably defensively should be a bit of a red flag that this team is s*** on defense this year.

let me ask you this, how many cups did the wings win in the eighties?

this team has a problem on defense. and it wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the talent. it would be understandable. but this team is probably the deepest defensive team in the league. the have some of the top defensive forwards in the league. our play this season has been terrible in our zone from game one. nothing has changed. it is a concern. if you aren't concerned, you're fooling yourself. this team needs to get it's ass in gear!!

that explains it... makes sense. not judgment, just observation.

all i said was that this wasn't the worst defense... never that they shouldn't be playing better. i also never said that i wasn't concerned. being concerned, however, is quite different than "jumping off the bridge" as several here have done.

the defense should be a stronger overall force, agreed. will they be the ultimate demise of this team and prevent a solid defense of the cup... alone.... not likely. it would be a team effort (or lack thereof) that would get in the way of an honest repeat with the cup.

Why is it every game the wings blow, some LGW'ers want to call it "exciting"? It's not, it's sad. As sad if not more so then the 8-0 and 8-2 embarrassments. I would love for this team to make me eat my words, and don't give me s*** about "they have been worse" because I have watched those seasons. I expect more from this team and with the amount of Easy Wins they have blown this season i dont know how ppl aren't worried. Bad goaltending, constant defensive lapses, taking periods if not games completely off. This team has more talent on one line then most teams have on their entire roster........... that being said a loss like tonights is a ******* pathetic joke. Im sure they can get it together for the playoffs but they are not showing me much right now, don't knock anyone for being critical of the Red Wings at this juncture and call out their "fan loyalty." I think we all know this team is better then they have been showing and we just don't like being gyp'd, that is the reason for this rant/truth.

Edited by Yak19

The frustrating thing to me is that they get up on them 4-1 and can't step on their neck and choke them out. How many leads last year were you worried about at 4-1? I was not worried about THIS lead until I saw it quickly go away.

Frustrating because you know they can do better. Good of them to come back and tie it up and get a point, but I would have loved to see a more boring win. Great game by #5.

Guest Shoreline
See, a positive from this night. Twas not all a loss.

In fact, 'twas a point gained on the Sharks to hold the #1 seed. Too late for bandwagoners though, they've already declared the Wings season over. :thumbup:

Edited by Shoreline

I'm not sure how much more of that Kronwall-Stuart pair I can take. I would definitely like to see Babcock break that pair up and put Lidstrom and Kronwall together, and Rafalski and Stuart.

THANK YOU.

Rafalski is 50% worse defensively when he's paired with Lidstrom because he takes that to mean he can roam more and look for the sexy breakout pass before he makes the smart, safe play. Or at least that's the way it looks.

Stuart and Kronwall aren't playing like they did in the playoffs, but I can definitely see why Babcock is trying to get them going. Stuart is looking better with each game (the injury definitely set him back).

Lebda + Big Rig = s***show. Big Rig is a quick offensive player that likes to roam far into the other team's zone. So is Lebda.

The best Ericsson pairing we've seen is Kronwall Ericsson. I want that pairing back. (again I can see why Babs wants Stu and Kroner to get back into sync, but they haven't been since they hoisted the cup).

Whatever.

One person tonight pissed me off tonight was Babcock.

THANK YOU.

Rafalski is 50% worse defensively when he's paired with Lidstrom because he takes that to mean he can roam more and look for the sexy breakout pass before he makes the smart, safe play. Or at least that's the way it looks.

Stuart and Kronwall aren't playing like they did in the playoffs, but I can definitely see why Babcock is trying to get them going. Stuart is looking better with each game (the injury definitely set him back).

Lebda + Big Rig = s***show. Big Rig is a quick offensive player that likes to roam far into the other team's zone. So is Lebda.

The best Ericsson pairing we've seen is Kronwall Ericsson. I want that pairing back. (again I can see why Babs wants Stu and Kroner to get back into sync, but they haven't been since they hoisted the cup).

Whatever.

One person tonight pissed me off tonight was Babcock.

:thumbup: 100% Agreed!

Nothing we as fans can do about it but lay in some extra Rolaids come playoff time. Enjoy the ride. It's gonna be a bumpy one. Maybe they can turn it on full bore once the playoffs start and become the Big Red Machine again. Maybe it's another horriffic 1st round blow up to Edmonton or god forbid Nashville. Neither scenario would shock me.

Like I said, lots of Rolaids

I don't know about you guys.. but what I saw this game almost made me more confident that this team will do well in the playoffs and has a shot at repeating.

We played against one of the best teams in the West, one that many hold as a Stanley Cup contender after their deadline moves. They also were on a losing streak and were looking to end it.

Consider we didn't have Hossa, our hungriest player and our best goalscorer and we still scored 5 on what is considered one of the better goalies in the league.

We didn't have Lilja, one of most consistantly good defensive d-men this season, and our best shot-blocker.

We also didn't have Helm and Leino, two players that bring great depth and give us dangerous 3rd and 4th lines along with that hunger and "something to prove"-attitude of young players.

In the playoffs, we will have all those players. And everyone else will be even more willing to sacrifice themselves, blocking shots and not taking it easy just because they have the lead.

What I saw for the most part of this game was a team that proves they step it up when it counts. In the 3rd it felt like they knew they had proven they can play when it matters, and they sat back on the lead and it cost them. That won't happen in the playoffs.

Despite the loss, this game gave me a lot of the answers I wanted out of this game.