• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Hockeytown0001

WCSF GAME 4 GDT: Red Wings 6 at Ducks 3

Rate this topic

Our PK is our biggest obstacle right now. It hasn't been good in the regular season and it has been even worse in this series.

I don't think having Draper or Rafalski back will help that, since they were in the lineup all year when we still struggled on the PK.

rafalski won't make a difference but draper is still a good PKer and a great face-off man so having him back will help at least a little.

but the thing that would help the wings most on the PK would be getting lilja back - but sadly that ain't happening :(

Yeah and they got scored on during that small time frame. How is that good?

Especially when you consider it has been a weak link all year.

Yes, but the PK got better as the year went on. It didn't come anywhere near matching the levels of success we've had in years past, but it did get better. And being short of the services of our #2 and #5 Defensemen (ESPECIALLY Lilja, with his shotblocking skill) as well as our #1 faceoff winner certainly isnt helping either...

I think the PK was also more a symptom of an underlying cause for this team, one that struck them night in and night out, and that was not playing a full 60 minutes with the intensity that this team can play with.

Not playing with full effort caused the PK to slip. It caused defensive breakdowns, which lead to easy goals. It caused odd man rushes. It caused the PP to decline as the year went on. If I had to pick only one thing that I could say was a problem all year long for us, that would be it. And it was that exact problem which caused us to lose the two we have lost this series.

Of course I'm not happy that we gave up the goal on the penalty, but with the way that play was set up, I don't think we would have had much a chance at it even on PK's of years past.

Anyone else thinking about how this series could have been a sweep right now? Triple OT and a monumental gift by the refs is what it's taken for the Ducks to win 2 games, despite the Wings not playing their best until this game.

For some reason I still feel it's going to be very difficult to take this series, I see a Game 7 in our future, but the Ducks don't really deserve to be tied 2-2.

but the wings were lucky to win game 1 and (the disallowed goal aside) they deserved to lose game 3.

2-2 is a fair reflection of the 4 games IMO.

Yes, but the PK got better as the year went on. It didn't come anywhere near matching the levels of success we've had in years past, but it did get better. And being short of the services of our #2 and #5 Defensemen (ESPECIALLY Lilja, with his shotblocking skill) as well as our #1 faceoff winner certainly isnt helping either...

I think the PK was also more a symptom of an underlying cause for this team, one that struck them night in and night out, and that was not playing a full 60 minutes with the intensity that this team can play with.

Not playing with full effort caused the PK to slip. It caused defensive breakdowns, which lead to easy goals. It caused odd man rushes. It caused the PP to decline as the year went on. If I had to pick only one thing that I could say was a problem all year long for us, that would be it. And it was that exact problem which caused us to lose the two we have lost this series.

Of course I'm not happy that we gave up the goal on the penalty, but with the way that play was set up, I don't think we would have had much a chance at it even on PK's of years past.

:thumbup:

I rate this post a 10/10.

The change worked. Two good scoring lines, Dats-Z-Homer, and Hossa-Mule-Filp worked out well. Our ZDH line did not make a scoring sheet but they SHUTDOWN the Ducks first line well. What I can ask more for the Wings at this moment is only few but..

1. It will be better for us to bench Chellios. I love how Chellios has contributed to the Wings throughout his time in Detroit but he really has to sit down if Rafalski comes back.

2. 3rd line did not look lost but they gotta keep work harder than they did in tonight's game. I think Huds and Cleary shifted pretty well and SAMMY got A GOAL. Not much complaint but they surely have to step up more and more.

3. Do not give the Ducks ANY CHANCE OF REGAINING THE MOMENTUM. It was a sexy win but not a sexy finish. We allowed the Ducks to get a PP goal. No blame on Ozzie, the defense was lazy and did not show up.

4. Work harder in the beginning of the period. Perry scored in a less than a minute from the start of the game. I almost got a heart attack but the Wings showed up the class again; however, letting those quick goals in the series is not a good way to start.

5. To finish, do not lay back and play with full heart.

Good night folks

Wouldn't be surprised if Giggy starts Game 5.

And Carlyle would be an absolute moron if he decided to do that.

Giguere played 3 times in the last 15 games of the season. I don't care how much of a veteran you are, that amount of time not playing is going to f*** with you in the playoffs. Last year when Dom screwed the pooch we had a game-ready Osgood to steer the course the rest of the way.

Giguere will not solve their playoff problems. When 5 goals go in you can't simply look at your goaltender as the cause (unless it is Detroit's).

Yeah, great job. :rolleyes:

We could get the same contribution from Downey, except he'd actually win the fight. Also, they would then be tempted to dress Parros, which would mean scratching a skilled player in return.

Neat trick on my part, huh?

Subtle :ph34r:

Yeah, great job. :rolleyes:

We could get the same contribution from Downey, except he'd actually win the fight. Also, they would then be tempted to dress Parros, which would mean scratching a skilled player in return.

Neat trick on my part, huh?

If it isn't Downey, then you have something you have to ***** about, whether the whipping boys fight or not.

This is getting ******* ridiculous.

If it isn't Downey, then you have something you have to ***** about, whether the whipping boys fight or not.

This is getting ******* ridiculous.

Kind of like Kopecky's play all season.

He got beat up by a Frenchman.

How much worse can it get for him?

Well, the Lidstrom jersey stays on for the rest of the playoffs.

+1

Same with my Datsyuk jersey, have not washed it since the playoffs started last year. Didn't put it on during this years playoffs until we were down 2-0 last game and i had it on all game tonight.

GO WINGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Carlyle would be an absolute moron if he decided to do that.

Giguere played 3 times in the last 15 games of the season. I don't care how much of a veteran you are, that amount of time not playing is going to f*** with you in the playoffs. Last year when Dom screwed the pooch we had a game-ready Osgood to steer the course the rest of the way.

Giguere will not solve their playoff problems. When 5 goals go in you can't simply look at your goaltender as the cause (unless it is Detroit's).

Agreed. Giggy didn't face many shots or scoring chances while he was on the ice. Guess we will see.