• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

10 Minute Misconduct

Malkin's penalty rescinded (merged)

Rate this topic

If they don't want to enforce the rules why have tbem? I agree that I want to see Malkin play and wouldn't want to have one of our players tossed for throwing a tantrum, but perhaps they should remove the rule. It's stupid to purposely circumvent the rules.

I can't understand how anyone can complain. The rules haven't been followed, for the most part, in either game. Why start with 17 seconds left in the game? ;)

I love how both games have been called. Props to the refs and lets hope it continues throughout the series.

Edited by MidMichSteve

*** topic. Shouldn't even be an issue. Some of the best fights I've ever seen happened in the last 5 minutes.

Let Malkin play. The rule is dumb. I should be abolished completely or amended, and made specific. I don't like the fact that it's so open to interpretation any more than the next guy. Why have rules, if they're open to interpretation? It's like saying, "Limo" IS a word in scrabble cause it's in common usage, while another guy argues that the real word is longer.

Let him play. Who cares. Arguing that a player should be suspended for a fight is petty. He didn't interfere with the play. He was called on the penalty, as was Talbot, which pretty much ensured Detroit won. What more punishment do they need?

The penalties were called. A Suspension is just freaking rediculous. If you're nervous about game 3 I can understand that you'd want a start player OUT of the game, but he didn't do anything more than hundreds of players have done for nearly a hundred years.

If I see anyone saying he "SHOULD" be kicked out for this, I disown you as a fellow Wings fan. Did any of you see the 96, 97, playoffs?

Jesus man. It's part of the game. I was quite excited to see Malkin throw with Zett.

Since when do we get excited about a fight, cause I know sure as hell everyone was standing, cheering, and rooting one way or another, to then later fall back on a suspension technicallity?

Some of you make me sick. I know most of you agree, but some of you are obviously very poor fans of hockey.

Thanks for setting us straight.

I think Mr. Webster or his descendants should be called in to rewrite the definition of "automatic." Everywhere, things that were automatic are not! Why this morning I was driving my car with an automatic transmission and the darn thing wouldn't shift.

i don't care if he gets suspended, but the stick to the head isn't cool. fight like a man, not a penguin

Like how Osgood sticked Staal to the head you mean?

Malkin should be suspended a game. So should Zetterberg, who after all threw the first punch after Osgood dived.

Why didn't Zetterberg also get tossed -- Malkin hit Zetterberg AFTER Zetterberg took a shot at another Penguin.

Staal got whacked not once, but twice to the head. Osgood should be suspended for that first one, if we want to be fair. The NHL has been very NBA-like in its reffing so far.

My only complaint about the fight was that Malkin needs to learn to fight better than his 12-year-old sister. Way to go after noted heavyweight Zetterberg too. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I personally like the fight described as "Malkin teams with Satan to try to injure Zetterberg"

And I like how the league changes the rules to make sure Pittsburg MVP candidate (Malkin) can play but schedules back-to-back games a week early rather than let Detroit's MVP candidate (Datsyuk) get healthy.

They jump through hoops to make sure their best player can play and to make sure our best player can't.

Malkin should be suspended a game. So should Zetterberg, who after all threw the first punch after Osgood dived.

Why didn't Zetterberg also get tossed -- Malkin hit Zetterberg AFTER Zetterberg took a shot at another Penguin.

Staal got whacked not once, but twice to the head. Osgood should be suspended for that first one, if we want to be fair. The NHL has been very NBA-like in its reffing so far.

LOL! I knew it would only take a couple of losses for you to start your chirping. I don't care that malkin isnt suspended, and I don't care about the petty s*** the ref's are letting go. This is the finals.. step up or stfu. I love how they're letting them play hockey. Not ***** criesby style.

Oh, and this series is over. 4/5 pens? Unlikely.

My only complaint about the fight was that Malkin needs to learn to fight better than his 12-year-old sister. Way to go after noted heavyweight Zetterberg too. Full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.

I wouldn't be so hard on Malkin considering the girlie punch that Zetterberg threw at the other Penguin before Malkin went at him. I've seen Girl Scouts toss better hooks. Maybe Zetterberg could use a Rainbow Girl for a trainer?

LOL! I knew it would only take a couple of losses for you to start your chirping. I don't care that malkin isnt suspended, and I don't care about the petty s*** the ref's are letting go. This is the finals.. step up or stfu. I love how they're letting them play hockey. Not ***** criesby style.

Oh, and this series is over. 4/5 pens? Unlikely.

I call it like it is. I give credit where credit's due, and blame where blame's due. I already said Malkin should be suspended. But so should Zetterberg. That's simply a matter of fairness. Do you seriously deny Zetterberg didn't throw that girlie punch BEFORE Malkin went at him? C'mon dude, take off the red glasses.

As for chirping -- all I've heard here is whining about what the Pens get away with, and the "conspiracy" crying about Bettman favoring the Pens. As you can see he surely hasn't been the case, as you admit yourself. So please, spare me the hypocrisy about crying. This board has been a fountain of tear juice.

Edited by BewareThePenguin

I call it like it is. I give credit where credit's due, and blame where blame's due. I already said Malkin should be suspended. But so should Zetterberg. That's simply a matter of fairness. Do you seriously deny Zetterberg didn't throw that girlie punch BEFORE Malkin went at him? C'mon dude, take off the red glasses.

As for chirping -- all I've heard here is whining about what the Pens get away with, and the "conspiracy" crying about Bettman favoring the Pens. As you can see he surely hasn't. So please, spare me the hypocrisy about crying. This board does enough of it itself.

Pens boards would probably be more sympathetic.

Was initially a bit upset to learn Malkin wasn't getting suspended, but part of that is being in the heat of the moment with this series. No "messages" were sent per se in terms of goons just starting crap with a game out of hand, etc. No need for a suspension.

Was initially a bit upset to learn Malkin wasn't getting suspended, but part of that is being in the heat of the moment with this series. No "messages" were sent per se in terms of goons just starting crap with a game out of hand, etc. No need for a suspension.

Anyone could of told you there would be no siispensions to anyone. The only way there will be one is if a big huge fight breaks out in game 3.

Anyone could of told you there would be no siispensions to anyone. The only way there will be one is if a big huge fight breaks out in game 3.

I was out watching the game so no sounnd where I was at, and wasn't familiar with the ruling at all until I learned about it hearing on XM radio that he might get suspended. So, took a little while for me to learn/digest it...

It sounds like to me that someone forgot to tell you this is the stanley cup finals....you're supposed to wear your big girl undies...(preferably in RED)

This is total bulls***. Rules are the rules. If this were ANY other team this wouldn't happen, even if it was Ovie.

Ovechkins knee on knee hit to Gonchar should have been a suspension. Total favoritism torwards the Pens there right?

Edited by Coolio Mendez

Saying that Z should be suspended is ridiculous. He gave a small push/jab to a player that had just speared (even if it was embellished) his goalie. There was no intent by Z to start a fight in that situation. I also don't agree with Malkin being called for it either. While he did technically force Z to fight him (deserving of it by the rules I believe), I don't have a problem with what happened because Z was able to defend himself. IMHO an insitgator should only be called if a player is in a defenseless position, or there is a brutal cheap shot/intent to injure.

I do have a problem with the instigator in the last 5 min rule. If it is called by the official, the league needs to follow through with the suspension. When Kronwall was given a game misconduct, the league couldn't call down to the officials rescind the penalty. The call should standon Malkin. With that said, I don't know why the penalty even exists. Since the player is already going to be taken off of the ice, why not rewrite the rule to say something like 'any player deemed to particpate in message sending or instigating in the last 5 min of a game, as deemed by review of the NHL, should be suspended for one game.' This will allow all suspensions to be awarded after the game, when the league can review the altercation.

This rule was introduced about 3 years ago to prevent coaches from putting out ENFORCERS in the last 5 minutes of a hockey game so it doesn't last 5 hours....if you are NOT an enforcer then you have nothing to worry about....

Countless of times the suspension has been rescinded, regualr season and playoffs.....Shane Doan was the first gray area because while not an enforcer he does drop the gloves a bit, especially back then, the NHL decided to rescind, correctly so.

As far as favourtism.......HOGWASH!

Scott Walker had his rescinded vs the Bruins. What does that have to do with the Pens?

The NHL suspended Daniel Carcillo for shenanigans in the last 5 minutes of the game.......his was upheld! Why? Because he is an enforcer....because he was out in the last 5 minutes and was on the PK. Seems cut and dry to me. These players/coaches KNOW the rule....there is only one reason why an enforcer would be on the ice in a 3-1 game with a minute remaining....seems so LOGICAL to me.....guess I'm not a homer.

I can GAURANTEE you that Aaron Downey is about the only Wing who this rule would apply to....if Zetterberg was the agresser, do you think they would not have rescinded it? Foolishness if you do.

I can't believe people don't understand this rule.

LET THE SUPERSTAR PLAY!

Edited by Coolio Mendez

They enforce the rule based on two criteria:

1) The team's latitude, in relation to the Mason/Dixon line

2) The roster

That's why Walker (Southern team - gotta promote the game to them good ol' boys!) and Malkin got off free and clear.

If Ward and Zetterberg were the aggressors, the rule would be enforced to the letter.