• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

toby91_ca

Officiating Will be Tighter

Rate this topic

I heard on Sportsnet that that the league was unhappy with the officiating standard in games 1 and 2 and rules will be enforced more strictly tonight.

So....I have a few thoughts on this:

- Clearly, the rules have not been called strictly (not pointing at one side vs. the other, just a general comment). You don't have a to watch the video to make that statement. Ignoring the end of game 2, there were a total of 5 pentalties called in 2 games. How is that possible? Especially in games that are tighter than any other games in the season. Clearly a different standard, which is the frustrating part. It's not just the stats either, watching, you can clearly see missed calls, both ways.

- My beef - I don't mind the play, that's not the problem and I'm not a fan complaining that Detroit is getting screwed on calls, etc. (the Pens are actually probably on the shorter end here), just making general comments. It's the consistency, or lack thereof that drives me crazy. No other major sport has these issues and allows their officials to be the subject of critism. Either change the rules or keep the existing rules, but whatever you do, if you call the rules black and white, there should be no controversy or complaining. Sure, a call is going to be missed here and there simply because the refs can't see everything, but there should be very little judgment involved in make calls when you have a rulebook to follow.

- In a similar vien, the Malkin incident at the end of game 2. I understand the rule about getting suspended (as it is written) and I understand what is also written about the NHL being able to review and make judgments after the fact, but I think this is just silly. I vote to throw the rule out all together as it is stupic, but if you have a rule, just make it black and white. I think it is extremely clear that the rule was not drafted to catch stuff like what happened in game 2 and this is why there was no suspension, suspending Malkin for what happened would have been pretty dumb, but why....again....leave so much judgment to the league, leaving them open for critism every time again??? Either get rid of the rule all together or leave it as black and white. If guys get suspended because of the rule, even though it wasn't meant in that kind of situation, so be it, stuff happens, live with it. Same with all suspensions....if you do this....you get this many games, plain and simple.

Sorry.....had to vent a few years worth of frustration. The biggest problem is that most in the NHL think it needs to be this way, you can't really fix it, there needs to be judgment. Really? Is the game of hockey so different that you can't have things black and white, even though you can have that in every other sport??

So a group of people who don't follow the rules they write expect the refs to follow rules that they write?

If I were the refs I would purposely call the game the same and then just say, hey just rescind the penalties after the game. You already do that anyways!

For me it goes back to the Conspiracy Theory that the League is trying to help the Penguins get the Cup this season. I've already seen posts on another board that some fans are just waiting for the league to tie this series up and swing it in favor of the Pens. I hope this is not true and I hope the Wings come out on top but when they say tighter calls that just pops into my mind. Let's Go Detroit Red Wings!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I heard on Sportsnet that that the league was unhappy with the officiating standard in games 1 and 2 and rules will be enforced more strictly tonight.

What do you mean the NHL regime was unhappy about the officiating? Aren't they the best officials in sports and correct 99% of the time?

The NHL never seems to be consistant in its officiating.

They have decided to let the boys play because they did not want Detroit to win the Cup because of their lethal power play. They wanted it done thru 5 on 5 play. But thats not working for them either, so...I guess we'll see what happens now.

Go Wings.

Forgot to mention my opinion on the fact that it sounds like they plan on calling the games tighter now.....this is just stupid and compounds the problem....no one knows what is a penalty, there is no consistency.

This is the first time I've ever heard a report of the league being unhappy with the officiating. What about the Walker sucker punch? Or the disallowed Hossa goal?

Read between the lines people. The Pens will have a 3 to 1 ratio advantage on PP's tonight. This shouldn't shock anyone as last year everytime the pens got down in a game the Penalties starting raining down on the wings. This is the easiest prediction I have ever made. Anyone want to take a bet on the Pens getting more PP's than the wings tonight?

Read between the lines people. The Pens will have a 3 to 1 ratio advantage on PP's tonight. This shouldn't shock anyone as last year everytime the pens got down in a game the Penalties starting raining down on the wings. This is the easiest prediction I have ever made. Anyone want to take a bet on the Pens getting more PP's than the wings tonight?

My mother always told me never to take a bet you were sure to lose. :(

Do you think they should give the linesman added responsibility of calling penalties in the neutral zone? That would be interesting. I think it's weird that the linesman can only call certain things. Imagine if a few of the referees in football couldn't throw penalty flags and one of the guys halfway across the field had to come in and call a facemask he really couldn't see. That would be ridiculous. The NHL needs to have the linesman watch the garbage in the neutral zone and the referees watch the attacking zones. That would lead to more consistency.

Do you think they should give the linesman added responsibility of calling penalties in the neutral zone? That would be interesting. I think it's weird that the linesman can only call certain things. Imagine if a few of the referees in football couldn't throw penalty flags and one of the guys halfway across the field had to come in and call a facemask he really couldn't see. That would be ridiculous. The NHL needs to have the linesman watch the garbage in the neutral zone and the referees watch the attacking zones. That would lead to more consistency.

no. It is bad enough already. Just no.

Unhappy with the officiating=the Pens are not getting enough PP's. Game #3 is the Bettman game. I expect a 3-to-1 difference in PP's not in favor of the Wings.

As long as what is a penalty for Detroit is a penalty for Pittsburgh, then I'm ok with it. How often is that the case though?

Anyone on the ice who thinks about checking Malakin or Crosby will get a penalty. That goes for both teams. Gotta crackdown somewhere. :)

In all seriousness I don't think the refs are going to be making many cheap calls. Unless the one or both of the teams play really stupid I think this game will have very few penalties and alot of 5 on 5

this is just plain frustrating. I could see if the games were one sided. But clearly they are not. The league is unhappy because lack of consistancy from reg. season/past series. Well duh. its the damn finals. Let the better team win. Not giving the games to either team on a damn silver platter.

but no conspiracy :rolleyes:

All that pretty much means more PPs in general. The amount probably won't be significantly different but I'm positive the Pens will get better timing with their power plays (right after a Detroit goal, etc.).

But the Wings know this. And they'll be prepared for it.

Edited by titanium2

We all need to stop a talking about the Officiating. Seriously its getting old. All fans think the refs are calling the game in favor of the other team.

Will Pit get more PPs tonight? Yes they will, does that mean anything? no. The Wings keep finding ways to win hockey games and until that changes I do not fear the Officiating. Look at the Duck series. Hossa's no goal, a few bad calls and still we won that series.

We all just need to stop bitching and enjoy watching our Red Wings. I mean at some point the Wings have to go back to losing, it will happen. Maybe not next year or the following year but at some point the Wings will go back to being a okay team. We as fan should enjoy this team. Enjoy the cups, enjoy the run and most of all enjoy the players.

Yea yea yea... I know I know I know but we need to stop bitching about the Refs and the NHL. There is nothing we can do to effect it and we have to just deal with it. Bitching does not help at all, in fact it takes away from the fact that our WINGS are 2 games away from another cup.

sorry I just had to get that off my chest.... Sitting here at E3 in LA waiting for the Expo to start.

GO WINGS. GO WINGS. GO WINGS.