• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
BewareThePenguin

Thoughts from the Penguin's Nest

Rate this topic

The way I look at it, it's still advantage Wings. The Wings are now in a best of 3 for the cup with 2 of those games at home. I'm not surprised that the Pens have countered back--In my work pool, I went with Wings in 7 and had a few chuckles tossed my way. I thought it would be a homer series with home ice being the deciding factor in the Wings favor.

I think the Wings aren't a team that can get rattled easily, and if they do, they can regain their composure and bear down, esp. if they are in a must win game. It's that veteran experience and composure. I chalk up the loss yesterday to fatigue. With Datsyuk likely playing, Z can have some help with the two-way game. Guys that come back from injury don't usually make a big impact until they settle in but a Datsyuk at 80% is still something special. Rafalski has had bad games before and then gone on a scoring tear to make up for it. I think the Wings will take the next game with a clear win on home ice.

Some are comparing the Staal shortie goal with the Lidstrom goal against the Nucks. First of all it's pre-mature and, secondly, we aint the Vancouver Canucks. The Wings bring it in must-win games and Ozzie is giving us a chance to win...

No it doesn't, but it sure can turn a series.

Detroit/Anaheim 06. Detroit leading series 2-1, lose home game in ot and never win again.

It was 07', the series was tied 2-2 and that home game we lost was game 5. There was a dumb penalty and then a non-call in the last minute that aloud the Ducks to even tie a game that should have been won by Detroit. Then Detroit had to face elimination in Anaheim.

Anyone can say what they want, but it kinda goes without saying (i'll say it anyways) if Detroit loses game 5 we're in big big ******* trouble.

-- I have a feeling Staal's shorthanded goal last night may have grabbed not just the game, but the series for the

Pens. That's just a feeling. At that point, Detroit went from being up a goal and on the power play, to seeing the

lead go up in smoke. The mental letdown can't be overestimated.

--I feel the pressure is more on the Wings to win Saturday Night, Datsyuk or no Datsyuk. Detroit must hold here or

face returning on the verge to the Igloo which has not been kind to them -- especially Osgood of all people. Should

the Pens lose they're on the verge, but at least they know they get the next one at home.

--This series is just what a lot of us hoped -- including a lot of arguing back and forth about who's gotten the breaks,

who's got the calls (or not) etc. etc. etc. Also accusations of cheap shots by both sides. Last year lacked the heat,

as it was really about the aw-shucks-glad-to-be-here Pens looking up at the veteran champs.

--Datsyuk's back -- but maybe Sid is too, after finally breaking the scoring drought.

--For some reason the name "Fedotenko" keeps popping into my head for Saturday.

Anyway, I'm sure a lot of you here will disagree with my point of view. Please feel free to fire away...

Are you talking?

I wish Fedotenko played for us...it hurts me to see him play for pittsburgh. :P

dont worry, he wont be playing Pens next year, they are pretty tied up with $8mil more for Malkin contract. they wont be the same team last year.

Edited by ami

i really dont think one goal can change an entire series, though it did have quite an impact on that one game, obviously... it definately got the crowd going and you could tell it had a positive impact on the pens players. but i know ozzie has already long forgotten that goal as have the rest of the red wings and they are getting ready to win one at the joe.

Edited by wmubronco420

-- I have a feeling Staal's shorthanded goal last night may have grabbed not just the game, but the series for the

Pens. That's just a feeling. At that point, Detroit went from being up a goal and on the power play, to seeing the

lead go up in smoke. The mental letdown can't be overestimated.

That moment isn't really a series turning point in and of itself. It's only really a turning point if the Wings end up losing to the Pens and people start looking back to see where the tide turned, but the goal by Staal isn't really going to effect the Wings tomorrow. Know what I mean? It's more a road sign than it is a fork in the road.

--I feel the pressure is more on the Wings to win Saturday Night, Datsyuk or no Datsyuk. Detroit must hold here or

face returning on the verge to the Igloo which has not been kind to them -- especially Osgood of all people. Should

the Pens lose they're on the verge, but at least they know they get the next one at home.

I guess. The pressure is on both teams really. The score is tied 2-2 right now- tomorrow is really a 'game 7' atmosphere for both of them. The Wings will feel more confident at home, though. For the Pens, knowing they're going home next game is a cold comfort if they're down 3-2. And again, Pens fans have to count on the Wings going on a significant losing streak here- they've already s*** the bed two games in a row, logic says they're due to bounce back and give a more dominant effort tomorrow. A veteran team like the Wings has seen this stuff before and so far they've always come out guns blazing when their backs were against the wall...

--This series is just what a lot of us hoped -- including a lot of arguing back and forth about who's gotten the breaks,

who's got the calls (or not) etc. etc. etc. Also accusations of cheap shots by both sides. Last year lacked the heat,

as it was really about the aw-shucks-glad-to-be-here Pens looking up at the veteran champs.

I agree 100%. :thumbup: It's been a nerve wracking series to watch, but definitely exciting.

--Datsyuk's back -- but maybe Sid is too, after finally breaking the scoring drought.

Sid wasn't in a slump as much as he was being dogged by a Selke caliber forward every second of the game. Last night the match-ups were in Sids favour and he got away from a Zetterberg that was tired from his 24 min game 3 performance.

Tomorrow the match-ups won't be so kind to the Pens. :cool:

I know... but somehow "Thoughts from the Penguin's Frozen-Water Aviarian Embryonic Repository" didn't have the same magic to it.

Give me a pass on this one?

I would have respected you a lot more if you had actually posted that. :hehe:

So far both teams have held serve in this series and both have gotten bounces. I don't really think momentum carries from game to game but who knows. I know the first team to lose on home ice will lose the series and if neither do thats good for me. :lol:

dont worry, he wont be playing Pens next year, they are pretty tied up with $8mil more for Malkin contract. they wont be the same team last year.

Yeah exactly, the Pens are not going to be the same team next year. Check out their cap space numbers:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

As an example if they resign their D and say Sykora, they lose Guerin Fedetenko and Satan and replace them with 500k players. Ouch. And people say Pits is going to be a Dynasty.

It could be said this year they werent the same team as last year. Next year they wont be the same team as this year either. Dynasty puuuuuleeease

The pens have the momentum now but Wings have been really kicking ass at home.

Ducks is definitely a better playoff team than Pitt, and we managed to find a way to beat them.

Only way Pitt can win games is capitalizing on our s***ty PK (In 5 and 5, the Getzlaf line made us look like *******, i'm still trying to see Crosby on the ice but i can't), but remember Datsyuk is awesome and could provide a big step up.

Can't wait for tonight. If we win that's going to be a good weekend :D

The mental part has never really been an issue for the Wings. After losing game 5 of last year's final I thought for sure they'd never be able to bounce back.

Look what happened. The last game wasn't nearly as brutal of a loss mentally, but physically they look exhausted.

If something is going to bring down this team it will be the gruelling schedule. I hope they can muster up all the strenght they have left and win Game 5, because if they do they get 2 days rest until the next game. Getting Datsyuk back will be a big boost to the entire team.

I would think there is more pressure on the Pens. They have to win on the road, which can be a tough thing to do. The Wings don't have to win at the igloo to win this series. Although I hope they do.

As far as defining moments in a series. The wings have had a ton of these in the past. But I have yet to see one against them.

Edited by ifonlyicouldskate

Yeah exactly, the Pens are not going to be the same team next year. Check out their cap space numbers:

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/cap-central/team.php?team=PIT

As an example if they resign their D and say Sykora, they lose Guerin Fedetenko and Satan and replace them with 500k players. Ouch. And people say Pits is going to be a Dynasty.

It could be said this year they werent the same team as last year. Next year they wont be the same team as this year either. Dynasty puuuuuleeease

Um.. hate to break it to you but did we didn't have Guerin, Fedotenko, or Satan last year either. Pens have been to the SCF 2 years in a row now with replacable parts in these roles. Shero has been pretty good at finding the right players for us. I don't doubt he can keep it up with the core he has to build around.

Sykora is likely gone. After his drop off I can't see him coming back unless it's for real cheap. Satan played in Wilkes Barre half the year, and is filler until someone better comes along. The only 2 questions at forward are Guerin and Fedotenko. I see at least one of them being back for sure.. my bet is Fedotenko, although Guerin does really love being here. Who knows, maybe we'll start seeing some of our guys take the ol' Wings discount. If not we do have some good up and comers looking for a shot.

Pressure is going to be on both teams to win this game for sure as this game will almost seal the series for whoever wins it.

I would think more pressure would be on the Wings simply because they are supposed to win, and everybody except for pens fans saying they are the better all around team, depth, experience and determination. The pens have already won the 2 games they were supposed to win in this series, and actually, should have taken on of the games at the joe thanks to a few lucky bounces.

Nothing disrepectful, just another view. :rolleyes:

Pressure is going to be on both teams to win this game for sure as this game will almost seal the series for whoever wins it.

I would think more pressure would be on the Wings simply because they are supposed to win, and everybody except for pens fans saying they are the better all around team, depth, experience and determination. The pens have already won the 2 games they were supposed to win in this series, and actually, should have taken on of the games at the joe thanks to a few lucky bounces.

Nothing disrepectful, just another view. :rolleyes:

If the Wings win Game 5, I think the Pens could still win at home to force a game 7. And I definitely think the Wings could win Game 6 even if they lose this one.

They'll get 2 days off before Game 6, which will give Datsyuk more time to heal his foot, and everyone more time to rest their legs.

In the playoffs it's easy to feel like every game is "the most important one", the game that will decide the series. For sure, the winner of this game is in a good position. But the series won't be over.

The whole "lucky bounces" argument is not working in the Pens favor right now. The Wings could easily have won Game 3 if not for unlucky bounces, and if they had called the too-many-men penalty. Both teams have gotten some "luck" and some "breaks". No team has completely outplayed the other. It's a close, even series.