• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingsownnhl43

Good News

Rate this topic

Surprised that some people here think Lidstrom is looking to cash in next year. Lidstrom has always been the least greedy NHL player in the league. We signed him for 7.5 when, at the time, he could have easily have fetched 11 million per (Jager money at the time).

3 million for one year is very-very logical. Hell, he'll forty f***in one! Can't believe some people's logic (or lack thereof) here.

--assuming Lids doesn't retire--

I believe he took the biggest pay cut out of all the vets to get Robitallie and Hull signed

A slap in the face? There are so many other variables involved. Lidstrom has already made his money in this league. He may take less so Kenny can put as many pieces in place as possible for a final run at the cup? Yzerman's last contract was around 1.25 by the way, at age 40. Lidstrom will be 41. And sure, he was a Norris trophy candidate this year. We will see how he plays this season.

I agree with your first point, that lidstrom will take less money to play an extra year or two.

But were you high when you used the phrase "for a final run at the cup"???

Just because Lidstrom is getting older and will most likely retire in the next year or two does not take away our chances for a cup run once he is gone. This happens to all teams in the league and it really is something that we are going to have to deal with, but we have guys that can fill these holes (Kronwall, Rafalski, Ericson).

Now dont get me wrong, no Red Wing defenseman will ever be as good as Lidstrom, but just because hes gone doesn't mean we won't have a competitive team in the post-Lidstrom era.

Big difference between Lidstrom and Yzerman.. as I said, Lidstrom was just nominated for the Norris... Yzerman could barely stand up in his final years. Yes.. other variables sure, enough so that Lidstrom might make 5-5.5 million.. but 3.5 million is a joke... i dont think management would even allow that to happen if he offered..

Right... management would refuse to pay somebody peanuts if they requested it. How's the weather in Fantasyland?

i dont understand why people are getting so upset about lidstrom making less than 5 mill a year

my guess would be he signs a 3 year deal for something like 10 million

Um, "assuming Hudler prices himself out of here"....???

Leaving the Lidstrom argument aside (and it's insanely presumptuous to assume that he'll take a more than 50% pay cut just to be a nice guy) who here is expecting Hudler to quintuple his salary?

//******* mode on//

What does all this speculating do besides start an internet argument? As I read somewhere else one day "Having an internet argument is like competing in the Special Olympics...even if you win, you are still retarded."

Work on the facts and let the numbers shake themselves out. Throwing what if's and could be's out there just incites people to go off all over the place. Detroit is keeping Nik, that's a fact. What his salary will be is anybody's guess. And those guesses may be close...or they may not be. All we can do is wait and see, cuz I don't think Kenny and Company check here to get advice, although sometimes I wish they would.

//******* mode off//

I agree with your first point, that lidstrom will take less money to play an extra year or two.

But were you high when you used the phrase "for a final run at the cup"???

Just because Lidstrom is getting older and will most likely retire in the next year or two does not take away our chances for a cup run once he is gone. This happens to all teams in the league and it really is something that we are going to have to deal with, but we have guys that can fill these holes (Kronwall, Rafalski, Ericson).

Now dont get me wrong, no Red Wing defenseman will ever be as good as Lidstrom, but just because hes gone doesn't mean we won't have a competitive team in the post-Lidstrom era.

i believe he meant a final run for Lids not the team

For all of the people down about our cap situation this year, have no fear!!! As long as we dont committ to any dumb contracts this off season (pretty much impossible), we should be in real good shape for next year.

1. Assuming Hudler prices himself out of here.

2. Holmstrom, Maltby, Lidstrom, Lebda, Lilja are UFAs

3. Helm, Abdelkader, Meech are RFAs

4. I pencilded Lidstrom in at 3.5 mil, a significant decrease that I expect him to take.

5. I dont know what kind of money Helm or Abby will recieve as they have not played a full regular season yet. I just penciled them in what they are making this year.

We encourage copying and pasting capgeek.com's generated results on message boards and blogs, but we hope you will consider leaving mention of capgeek.com when you do so. A link back is even better. This will help capgeek.com stay alive and grow.

FORWARDS

Pavel Datsyuk ($6.7m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.1m) /

Johan Franzen ($4.0m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.0m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.8m)

Ville Leino ($0.9m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.8m) / Darren Helm ($0.6m)

Kris Draper ($1.6m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalaski ($6.0m) / Brad Stuart ($3.8m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($3.5m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.0m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.9m)

GOALTENDERS

Chris Osgood ($1.4m) / Jimmy Howard ($0.7m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 16; PAYROLL: $45.8m; CAP ROOM: $11.0m

Official numbers

ROSTER SIZE 16

SALARY CAP $56,800,000

PAYROLL $45,803,987

CAP ROOM $10,996,013

Is there even a list yet for next years crop of UFA's. How would we go about filling in the wholes. 6 players, 10 million to play with, leaving 1 mil for flexibility???

:confused1:

Edited by Scotty

I haven't read this whole thread but we also have to take into considerations of retirements. I would have to believe that there will at least be 1 retirment, I'm leaning more towards 2 or 3 but I'll say one and if that player does still have more years left on their contract(s) that will open some cap space to if I'm not mistaken. I think the Wings will be fine for quite a long time and I look forward to a positive future for the Detroit Red Wings!!

If it will benefit the team in a large way I can see him taking a fairly significant pay cut. If it would not, I am guessing Holland will give him as much money as he can while not sacrificing the quality of the team.

I would wager Lids would want another ring over an extra few million dollars at this point.

If it will benefit the team in a large way I can see him taking a fairly significant pay cut. If it would not, I am guessing Holland will give him as much money as he can while not sacrificing the quality of the team.

I would wager Lids would want another ring over an extra few million dollars at this point.

I feel the same way... Also I am not sure Lids will come back... He has always talked retirement... I would not be shocked if he leaves hockey before hockey leaves him... Then that is a void that everyone has known would be impossible to fill when it happens...

Um, "assuming Hudler prices himself out of here"....???

Leaving the Lidstrom argument aside (and it's insanely presumptuous to assume that he'll take a more than 50% pay cut just to be a nice guy) who here is expecting Hudler to quintuple his salary?

I'm just basing that off what I've read. It has been reported that Kenny is offering Huds a contract worth 2.5 per and that Hudler is in the 3.5 range. If the reports are accurate, he is indeed pricing himself out of town, just as Sammuelsson did.

And yes, I meant Lidstroms last run for whoever questioned that.

$4.5m is my bet as to what Lidstrom takes next year.

He may have lost a step or two, but he was still the best defenseman in the NHL last year and deserved the Norris.