• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

egroen

Holland confirms that Hudler will play in KHL

Rate this topic

I did not see this coming. What a kick to the groin this is. He was my favourite Wing after Cleary. I won't be getting #26 on the back of my jersey now.

Guest mindfly

Would be good if he did go to arbitration and wings traded him there then wings would recieve some draft picks atleast... now we get.. NADA

They wouldnt' have been able to keep Hossa. Hudler wasn't in the plans if Hossa stayed so him leaving now wouldn't have effected that.

I disagree, Holland came out and said they couldn't spend money they had set aside for Hudler. An extra 2.5 million per would have easily kept Hossa in the fold and Sammy would have been let go for sure. If Holland at the end of this sees the possibility that Hudler might bolt for Russia because of a lucrative deal there, Sammy becomes expendable and Hossa is his primary target. Maybe we still don't keep Hossa, but if all is known by management, it could have changed their approach.

Regardless of how you feel about any of these players, this is a ton of goal production to lose, and no way did Holland forsee losing all three of them.

Extremely disappointing because the Wings get nothing out of all of this. I'm guessing they'll probably retain Hudler's rights because he left while awaiting arbitration. So I guess the only piece of upside is that he gets 2 free years to develop in the KHL? f***. This just blows all any way you slice it.

*sigh* Well the one good thing is I was going to shell out around $50 for a hockey card of Hudler that was limited to only 10 copies, but I ended up not buying it because I wasn't positive he'd stick around. I guess my instincts were right on the mark.

I did shell out a chunk of change for a sweet Franzen rookie card containing a piece of a jersey he wore... then a month later he signed his long term deal here. So I guess my instincts are 2 for 2. :lol:

A defensive guy who's best years are behind him and you might get lucky to get 10 points out of? He missed more than half the season in '06 as well.

I'd be excited if he were Tomas Kopecky's replacement - not Hudler's.

Best years are behind him? He's 27. I was wrong, he didnt even get hurt last year, played all 82 games, 77 the year before, 82 the year they won the Cup, and has only been hurt in 2006. Just 2 years ago he was a solid contributer to the Ducks with 12 points and 7 goals in the playoffs. That's all that matters, Travis Moen brings it in the playoffs. Something Jiri Hudler failed to do this year, and why alot are happy to see him go. I dont want Moen to be Hudlers replacement, but if were going to score less, we could be harder to play against and grittier, tougher and better defensively, and Moen brings all of that.

Edited by Detroit # 1 Fan

How do you figure that the management messed this up? The Wings have under $2 million in cap room with at least 2 forwards needed. A lot of Wings fans have to face the reality of the salary cap and that the Wings simply are up against it and cannot afford the contracts that these guys are getting. Not everyone can or should take huge discounts just to stay with the Wings.

yeah I think this is more about Hudler wanting more money and getting a heck of a deal. I don't fault him for taking it and I don't fault Holland, yet, for not getting him signed.

Clearly a venting post. And that's okay. But you need to realize there is more to hockey than just 'putting in goals'. Hudler was undersized and played like it. He wasn't that good of skater and his defensive game was very unimpressive, especially against bigger guys.

Sure he put up a lot of points in the regular season and had a nack for scoring shootout goals, but @ $3 mil (and our current financial situation - along with Hudler's size / defensive game) it's better for the team (overall) that he walks.

btw, I'm not a moen fan either.. I'm (probably the only guy on the forum) that thinks Holland should just ride with AHL players till trade deadline and use that money and trade Lebda or Lilja for a forward.

We'll be fine. (and better off)

When you lose 80 GOALS from the previous season, you better be looking for someone to be "putting in goals" -- it's not like we have made any upgrades in goalies or defensemen, so Holland can talk about "better defensive play" all he wants, but you are starting out the season in the whole essentially down one goal a game.

Guest mindfly
MacLeod: Red Wings forward Jiri Hudler wasn't 'happy'

I was more surprised by Mikael Samuelsson's departure. Marian Hossa was leaving because there was no cap room. Tomas Kopecky was an interchangable part.

Hudler isn't surprising because he wasn't really happy, in my opinion. From being benched for Kopecky in the Western Conference final in 2007 to watching Valtteri Filppula -- who is the same age as Hudler -- get a lucrative long-term contract as a restricted free agent, Hudler knew that he was lower on the Red Wings' pecking order than he wanted to be.

Personally, I thought Hudler would test the waters, but Samuelsson would find a way to stay in Detroit. I think he liked the environment here, but Vancouver came along with a contract that Detroit couldn't touch.

MacLeod got a point... how would you feel if you was tiny and forsaken like hudler :P

Edited by mindfly

When you lose 80 GOALS from the previous season, you better be looking for someone to be "putting in goals" -- it's not like we have made any upgrades in goalies or defensemen, so Holland can talk about "better defensive play" all he wants, but you are starting out the season in the whole essentially down one goal a game.

Its okay, Leino and Abdelkader will easily make up for it, right? right? <_<

Best years are behind him? He's 27. I was wrong, he didnt even get hurt last year, played all 82 games, 77 the year before, 82 the year they won the Cup, and has only been hurt in 2006. Just 2 years ago he was a solid contributer to the Ducks with 12 points and 7 goals in the playoffs. That's all that matters, Travis Moen brings it in the playoffs. Something Jiri Hudler failed to do this year, and why alot are happy to see him go. I dont want Moen to be Hudlers replacement, but if were going to score less, we could be harder to play against and grittier, tougher and better defensively, and Moen brings all of that.

Hudler scored more points in the playoffs in both the previous two years, with much less minutes.

Moen "brought it" so hard in the playoffs last year for San Jose that he scored all of 0 points and finished with a -4, in only 6 games.

Outside of Anaheim's Cup year, he scored all of 3 points in the playoffs for them - in 2 years.

MacLeod got a point... how would you feel if you was tiny and forsaken like hudler :P

He's right on with the Sammy deal, Wings couldn't give him that. And thats an interesting insight into Hudler not being happy. I could see all of that for sure.

Hudler scored more points in the playoffs in both the previous two years, with much less minutes.

Moen "brought it" so hard in the playoffs last year for San Jose that he scored all of 0 points and finished with a -4, in only 6 games.

Outside of Anaheim's Cup year, he scored all of 3 points in the playoffs for them - in 2 years.

Because it's all about points right? I used them because you cant really compare Travis Moen to Jiri Hudler without them, but they dont tell the whole story (Though, in comparison of years, Moen had 2 less points and more goals in his cup winning season then Hudler :P). Moen was one of San Joses better players, but when your being led by Jumbo Choke Joe and Marleau, tough to do well. I want to make it known I'm not a huge Moen fan either, but I'd love to have him. He brings the entangibles, if Hudler wasnt scoring but playing solid defence and playing physical, then I'd be sad to see him go, because in that situation once he gets going with the scoring again, now you've got a player on your hand. But Hudler isnt that, he's one dimensional, PP and 2nd/4th line guy, and the Wings have enough talent to get around that. I know we'll be just fine with or without Moen or Hudler, and thats really all that matters.

Why do you keep saying we are losing 80 GOALS? Are you suggesting that all the replacements (Helm / Leino / xxxx / etc) won't score any goals? Are you expecting Zetterberg to having another off year?

The replacement guys WILL score some goals, I promise! They will also be more defensive sound. Wings defense (as Kenny Holland said) will realize they don't need to take the year off like they did in 08/09 [paraphrased].

If the replacements only score 40 goals, then we're only losing 40 goals, not 80. In addition, our PK and defense will be better.

Oh, and I think Ericsson has proven that he can also score some big goals, too.

Like I said, I understand that you are panicking and think the world is coming to the end-and feel the need to vent... but trust me, the Red Wings are going to be fine. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

EDIT: are you also suggesting that Filppula getting more ice time will not do anything with it? Really?

Edited by Snazzy

I just had a feeling this would happen -- though not in this manner.

I pulled my hair out in so many games, watching the Wings trail in the 3rd period and seeing Babcock ice Filppula, Cleary, Samuelsson and for the love of god, KOPECKY, over Hudler.

Wow - the wings lose Hossa, Samuelsson and Hudler and get *nothing*.

Because it's all about points right? I used them because you cant really compare Travis Moen to Jiri Hudler without them, but they dont tell the whole story (Though, in comparison of years, Moen had 2 less points and more goals in his cup winning season then Hudler :P). Moen was one of San Joses better players, but when your being led by Jumbo Choke Joe and Marleau, tough to do well. I want to make it known I'm not a huge Moen fan either, but I'd love to have him. He brings the entangibles, if Hudler wasnt scoring but playing solid defence and playing physical, then I'd be sad to see him go, because in that sitaution once he gets going with the scoring again, now you've got a player on your hand. But Hudler isnt that, he's one dimensional, PP and 2nd/4th line guy, and the Wings have enough talent to get around that. I know we'll be just fine with or without Moen or Hudler, and thats really all that matters.

You're right -- I'll take a lot of heart in each Wings loss because they dug the puck out of the corners well.

Ultimately, it is about goals.

Peace out Huds, you'll never be more than you were here. Shame you couldn't just accept your role.

Hossa likely will be good in Chi, Sammy and even Kops I can say may have good careers away from here. I know Conks will. But Huds? You'd better hope you light up the KHL and get a huge NHL payday cause you would not survive anywhere else in the NHL. You're a wing. And you just pissed it all away.

Your choice. Your problem. Bye.

Why do you keep saying we are losing 80 GOALS? Are you suggesting that all the replacements (Helm / Leino / xxxx / etc) won't score any goals? Are you expecting Zetterberg to having another off year?

The replacement guys WILL score some goals, I promise! They will also be more defensive sound. Wings defense (as Kenny Holland said) will realize they don't need to take the year off like they did in 08/09 [paraphrased].

If the replacements only score 40 goals, then we're only losing 40 goals, not 80. In addition, our PK and defense will be better.

Oh, and I think Ericsson has proven that he can also score some big goals, too.

Like I said, I understand that you are panicking and think the world is coming to the end-and feel the need to vent... but trust me, the Red Wings are going to be fine. The sun will still come up tomorrow.

EDIT: are you also suggesting that Filppula getting more ice time will not do anything with it? Really?

Helm for Kopecky is awesome and an upgrade...

But to lose Hossa, Hudler and Samuelsson -- and replace them with what? Leino so far? That really sucks.

You're right -- I'll take a lot of heart in each Wings loss because they dug the puck out of the corners well.

Ultimately, it is about goals.

As opposed to losing with that nice puck possesion and being nice and saying "Good game" after the whistles right?

Obviously thats not what you said, but that wasnt what I said in your quote either. I'd much rather see the Wings lose and not be happy about it, then just skate away without doing anything about it all the time, espicially in games where they get beat up or disrespected. Because the Wings will still do alot of winning in the coming season, losing little Jiri Hudler wont affect us very much, despite his 20 goals and awesome 57 points. If the Wings sharpen up defensively and become tougher to the play, they wont need to score as much as they did last year. Or maybe you enjoyed last years regular season? Winning games off of pure offence, nothing else, offence. It doesnt win you the Cup, as was envident in the finals, our dynamic offence that we're losing such a huge part of this off season, managed 2 goals in the Final 2 games of the Stanley Cup finals. I'm not worried, not one little bit.

This sucks, hopefully they can pick a replacement up in FA, I know people are really high on Abdelkader right now but that dude needs more time in GR.

What is weird to me is that he wouldn't want to play with the best players in the world, don't get me wrong the KHL has some talent but nothing like the NHL.

Guest mindfly

Take it for what it's worth but I don't think it's written in stone that Hudler will play in Russia this fall

This dude who knows an agent for a player in the NHL two hours ago got news that Hudler has got a "NHL-out" in his contract and that they are still negotiating with the Red Wings

As opposed to losing with that nice puck possesion and being nice and saying "Good game" after the whistles right?

Obviously thats not what you said, but that wasnt what I said in your quote either. I'd much rather see the Wings lose and not be happy about it, then just skate away without doing anything about it all the time, espicially in games where they get beat up or disrespected. Because the Wings will still do alot of winning in the coming season, losing little Jiri Hudler wont affect us very much, despite his 20 goals and awesome 57 points. If the Wings sharpen up defensively and become tougher to the play, they wont need to score as much as they did last year. Or maybe you enjoyed last years regular season? Winning games off of pure offence, nothing else, offence. It doesnt win you the Cup, as was envident in the finals, our dynamic offence that we're losing such a huge part of this off season, managed 2 goals in the Final 2 games of the Stanley Cup finals. I'm not worried, not one little bit.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, no room for logic on these boards.