• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
hockey23

Chicago fires GM Tallon

Rate this topic

Duds, eh? They made it to the final 4 last year. I can think of a lot of other teams that would've liked to be there. Are you really this illogical or do you just post like this for fun?

How man times did Chicago win the cup since 1961? ...oh wait, never mind. What kind of trophy did Chicago win for losing? Must be a good one! So in your logic losers are still winners? What kind of special Olympics do you watch?

Can you please tell me how many teams would love to not win a cup in 50 years....? I bet they are all lining up, dips***.

Edited by Snazzy

This year they watch and learn who clicks with who, next year they have a firesale with the guys who didn't work out. They'll be alright.

Yeah because I'm sure the whole league will be lining up at the Blackhawks door for a group of overpriced, mediocre players. Meanwhile, they can easily steal franchise players like Toews and Kane.

Ok. So the year is 2005 and the Blackhawks are the laughing stock of the league. They forget what the playoffs feel like and are struggling to get asses in the seats. Chicago could care less about the team. That summer Dale Tallon is promoted to the GM position. The next season the team does horrible and gets themselves the 3rd overall pick. Dale and his team choose Jonathan Toews and manage to make some other good choices. Next season the team is still weak as hell and tanks, ending up with a 1st overall selection in the '07 draft. Tallon and his team choose some kid names Kane. September rolls along and the team's idiotic owner passes away. Now the door is open to finally get the team on TV again. Cool. Kane and Toews have amazing rookie seasons- Tallon looks pretty smart. The rest of the team's young talent starts to filter up through the minors and looks very promising. The people in Chicago start buying tickets to Hawks games again. Things are looking up. In the off-season Tallon adds some more talent to the team and makes some moves. The next season the Hawks make it all the way to the Conference finals. All their games are sell-outs now. Under Tallon's eye the Hawks have gone from the league's laughing stock to a legitimate contender in only 4 seasons.

I'm not saying he's a genius, but the description above doesn't make him sound like a bad GM. From what I've read the bad offer sheets weren't his doing. He's not perfect, but given how far the Hawks have come since he took over this is an undeserved shot in the nuts for him.

Exactly, Tallon wanted no part of Campbell's overpaid contract or Huet for the price they locked them up for. All this was pushed on him by John McDonough. He didn't want Hossa for 12 years either.

Edit, the problem in Chicago still exists.

Edited by Snazzy

Guest micah
Yeah because I'm sure the whole league will be lining up at the Blackhawks door for a group of overpriced, mediocre players. Meanwhile, they can easily steal franchise players like Toews and Kane.

I doubt that Towes or Kane will go anywhere, unless Chicago wants them to go somewhere. If the Hawks are bent on keeping those guys, I suspect they'll find a way.

The past 2 weeks have illustrated beautifully that there are plenty of teams in the league happy to sign overpriced, mediocre players.

Chicago wants a Cup this year. They likely aren't spending a lot of time wishing they had won the Cup in 1997 or 1973 or 1962. Sure, they'd like to be great in 2011 too, but their primary goal is to do what they have to do to have a better season this year than they did last year. They did some gambling to try to make that happen. It might bite them in the future, it might not. We'll see soon enough.

I doubt that Towes or Kane will go anywhere, unless Chicago wants them to go somewhere. If the Hawks are bent on keeping those guys, I suspect they'll find a way.

The past 2 weeks have illustrated beautifully that there are plenty of teams in the league happy to sign overpriced, mediocre players.

Chicago wants a Cup this year. They likely aren't spending a lot of time wishing they had won the Cup in 1997 or 1973 or 1962. Sure, they'd like to be great in 2011 too, but their primary goal is to do what they have to do to have a better season this year than they did last year. They did some gambling to try to make that happen. It might bite them in the future, it might not. We'll see soon enough.

I'm with you on them not letting those guys go. I mean you never know cause someone could offer up 8mil a year over 10 years or some crazy crap but we'll see on that one. But I think they keep those guys but will have trouble finding support players because they'll have to trade guys like Versteeg and such cause they won't be able to unload Campbell.

You are right teams want to sign middle of the line players for bigger money but teams never seem to want to give up picks or players for them. Weird how that works.

You are also right on with them trying to win it now. They better, imo, because once you have to try to get the rigth support players with not a lot of money it can tough. They won't have this stacked of a team next season that's for sure. Ask the Wings.

Tallon has been reassigned to senior staff advisor, not fired

That's a twist. This is getting stranger by the minute.

how long before he jumps ship though? I think he'll get a gig and head out as soon as possible. Just my opinion and probably what I would do.

Tallon has been reassigned to senior staff advisor, not fired

Well, isn't that just a kick in the ol' nut sack. They should have put him in charge of mail duty. I'm sure Tallon will take the first ticket out of Chicago when the opportunity presents itself, which should be rather quickly. Lots of teams out there wish they had a guy who could turn their club around like Tallon did for the Hawks.

Edited by Snazzy

I think the Hawks (Tallon, Bowman, McDonough, whomever) are doing this backwards. I think they should have made sure they had their franchise players locked up first before spending a ton of cash for supporting players. They don't know how much Kane, Toews and Keith will want. They may or may not have enough and I think in this position you would want to make sure you have more than enough.

On your second point, that is true. The league will overpay for mediocre players, but I just can't imagine some team out there, no matter how desperate they are, trading something for Huet and his $5.6 mil contract or Campbell and his $7 mil contract. Team will overpay for players, but not that much.

Hawks have the personnel on the ice for a good year this year. I do not see them lifting a Cup with Huet in goal. IMO, this is a one and done attempt for the Cup by the Hawks. Hawks have major cap problems come next year. I'm sure they'll get their qualifying offers out to the RFA's on-time. However, with players now under contract, how do you sign all these free agents when you have no money? The other teams know the shape the Hawks are in and will take advantage of their horrible situation.

It is a foregone conclusion that no team in their right mind will pick up Campbell or Huet at that cost. Toews, Kane, and Keith will want and should get substantial raises. I just don't think Chi has the money anymore. They will be pressed against the cap at the trade deadline, so the team they put on the ice inOct is pretty much what you will see come playoff time. Just like any team, a key injury will implode this team. The difference with other teams (other than SJ) is they will have room to adjust.

Keep in mind that the Hawks also have large over the limit bonus payouts that will be applied to what many consider will be a lower cap next year.

The Hawks weakness is there goaltending and defense, and I don't feel it got any better this off-season. Wings still win the Central and continue to slap the Hawks around, if they meet in the playoffs. Remember, without Lidstrom and Datsyuk, the Hawks were dispatched in 5 and Hossa only had 2 goals in the series.

in case anyone cares, the press conference for it today is at 4 pm eastern time (3 pm central) on ESPN 1000 here in IL during the Carmen, Jurko, and Harry show (Also called the Afternoon Saloon)...it can be heard here....http://espn.go.com/chicago/radio/

You forgot coaching too. Then again maybe the Hawks will dump Quenneville on his butt and replace him with the OTHER Bowman.

Let's hope the Hawks are stupid enough to retain Quenneville. :rolleyes: I doubt Scotty will coach again - he's almost 80. The NHL doesn't need its own Joe Paterno. ;)

The good: Stan's hiring and who is his dad is. Maybe he can get us out of this mess.

The bad: What if Tallon had a solution to get us out? He was reassigned, but maybe is Tallon stayed, he could've helped us out.

Tallon certainly had a solution; hell, I had a solution. The question at hand is...does Stan Bowman have a solution?

i wouldn't be too worried about a Bowman as GM -- Scotty was far from even a "good" GM.

Wasn't he the GM when they traded for Shanny? And traded Shepherd for Larionov. Signed Kocur and traded Greg Johnson for Tomas Sandstrom? And traded for Larry Murphy? Holland was the Asst. GM then so I thought Scotty was making the player decisions those year.

Wasn't he the GM when they traded for Shanny? And traded Shepherd for Larionov. Signed Kocur and traded Greg Johnson for Tomas Sandstrom? And traded for Larry Murphy? Holland was the Asst. GM then so I thought Scotty was making the player decisions those year.

Scotty was fired by the Sabers after he failed to put together much over 8 years as the GM.

Devellano was responsible for most of those moves at the time, though Scotty was all for trading Yzerman to ottawa :)

From 94 to 97 it was managed by more of a "brain trust" between Devellano, Bowman, Holland and Nill.

Did you know Devellano has 7 Stanley Cup rings???

The results of the debriefing; from TSN :

"I am comfortable with the position I'm in right now," Tallon said Wednesday on a conference call. "I'm still working for the Chicago Blackhawks, a franchise that's deep in my own blood. I'm passionate about the Blackhawks.

As for McDonough?

"It's a very good relationship," Tallon said. "We're open and honest. We're both different. We have different styles, but the whole organization has different people and different styles. We all want to achieve the same goal. We both are open and honest with our opinions."