• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
wingfan40

Shanahan and or Sundin to Wings?

Rate this topic

I don't get what everyone has against Shanny. Sure he's 40 but look at his numbers the past few seasons and remember he wasn't picked up until real late last season or they would probably be better. I thought we had to make up for some points? Shanahan can provide points, he's got decent size and he's not afraid to stick up for teammates. Of course I miss him from what back when but I really can't see any downside to him signing with Detroit if he comes cheap. Has he been injured recently that I'm unaware of? It seems like he could still put up 40pts a season. I guess maybe if he's not on the first or second line he won't produce?

Shanahan was a defensive liability and Babcock didn't take too kindly to his refusal to sacrifice offense for the sake of defense approach.

I honestly can't recall how well he was on D. He is +151 for his career. I just remember a guy that could score, fight and was a lot of fun to watch. Is there actually proof of him refusing Babcock's system or did they just happen to rub each other the wrong way? I thought Bowman got everyone to play a 2 way game long before Babs showed up. I can't see how we'd go wrong if he isn't expensive. Especially when comparing him to who is out there yet. I got this off of sportsnet.ca.

Assets Lethal scorer from the slot area. Loves to instigate trouble for the opposition. Plays a sound two-way game and is very durable.

Flaws Is not as intimidating as he was in the early 90's, at least in terms of his physical presence. Has become a streaky scorer over time.

Career potential All-time great power forward.

On top of that he's got size, and he shoots right. Wasn't that another thing we were missing? Could he be another option to play the point on the PP? I know we want to get younger but I'm thinking just about replacing some points next season inexpensively. I know a lot of it is just me missing the old days. If I had my way Fedorov would have came back, reclaimed his glory and retired in Detroit prior to going to the KHL.

My 2 cents:

Shanahan: As a one year band-aid solution for $500k I think it could be worth a shot. I wouldn't go so far as to say he is the absoltuely best option out there but I think it's one that could fit. Plus he was always a fan favourite and I think it would even further Detroit's reputation of taking care of its own. I think it woudl help the attractiveness of the Wings to future UFAs. A right hand shot that can play 3rd/4th line minutes for the league minimum and get some ppl time if Babcock sees fit, seems like a decent fit to me. This team is already getting significantly younger with Howard, Ericcson, Leino and Helm guarenteed to be in the line up. I wouldn't be opposed to signing Shanahan.

Sundin: A big bodied right handed shooter. Another guy that could fit on our 3rd line. Although he has lost a step, and I was never a huge fan of his, I think he could fit fairly well on a line with Helm and Leino or some other combination. He has a big shot, can play the PP and started to come on late in the season and playoffs for the Canucks. Obviously, money becomes a factor with Sundin. No way would we, or could we, offer Sundin the money he got last year. Really, I don't see him being worth more than a couple mill. If the Wings could get him for $2M on a year deal I'd do it. But realistically he won't sign for that so end of discussion really.

As I've said many times on this board, I would love to have Sundin on the Wings, even if it were just for a year. Sign him for $2 mil with incentives that could make it be worth like $4 mil. Until I see Sundin play poorly for an entire year, I won't believe this game has passed him by. He looked bad for awhile because he missed all of camp, was out of game shape and needed time to shake off the rust. He got much better as the season went on and I believe if he signed now, he would be a much better player throughout the season.

As for Shanny, last time he wore a Wings uniform he scored 40 goals. Its 4 years later and I don't expect 40, but I don't think 20 is out of the question. If we signed him dirt cheap, I would be cool with that.

I really do think Sundin and Shanahan would be perfect band-aid to get the Wings through this season. Im not saying we NEED them but I think they would be great additions on 1 year contracts. I realyl don't know what Sundin thinks he is worth or what he would sign in Detroit for but if we could sign one or both of them and not have to move any more bodies than we already plan on doing I would take this step in a heart beat.

In my mind Shanahan will sign for the league minimum and if I were Holland I would pounce on that in a second. If Sundin can be had for like $2M i would take it and run. I would much rather sign Sundin at 2 than Prospal around the same. But that's just me

i remember someone saying Holland said something about bringing back an "old friend" maybe thats Shanny

Nope. Jason Williams.

j/k

Shanny would surely produce more than Grier. Sure he is 40, but would you rather have him, Draper, or Malts? We could sign him for one year, whats wrong with that?

Yea, we should try to avoid old players at all cost, but Shanny is not just ANY 40 year old.

Point proven.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Enough with the Sundin s***. No Cap room, no need for him. Wings already have Maltby as the guy that glides around the ice doing nothing.

(I know this is posted twice, 2 threads, 2 posts.)

I think Sundin, Filppula and Cleary would all rotate in on the 2nd and 3rd line. I think Sundin wuodl for sure be on the second PP unit but they woudl want to keep his minutes a little lower during the regular season as they did with Lidstrom last year. It woudl all depend on the chemistry and so on.

Soemtimes you might see:

Cleary - Filppula - Franzen

or

Sundin - Filppula - Franzen

or

Cleary - Sundin - Franzen

Hell, you may even see Leino get some time up on the Second. I think you'd see:

Leino - Filppula - Franzen

Cleary - Sundin - Helm

Stuff like that. I dont think it should be looked at true 2nd and 3rd lines. They could be used interchangedly.

You honestly feel he'd be on our 3rd line?...Me thinks he'd be centering the 2nd...He had an off year last season due to not attending fall camp, and it showed...That said he started to look like his old self in the playoffs; I'm thinking he's still good for 70 points (possibly more)...Like you said - it'll come down to $$$.

Umm yeah.... thats why Shanahan is not a center.