• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

amsoil33

Grier Could Bring Some Diversity to Hockeytown

Rate this topic

Why is everybody freaking out? I think 99% of the people that posted here agree that race doesn't/shouldn't matter in hockey.

And on the topic of lack of black interest in hockey:

I agree that the high cost is part of it. I also think it has to do with the fact that a large portion of our country's black people live in the south where there already isn't much interest in hockey (contrary to popular belief).

True equality is when a person is judged for his/her abilities, not for their race, religion, or ethnic origin. Furthermore, the job of GMs is to provide a team with players who can help them win, not to make statements about social situations. Mike Grier the player, should be considered IRRESPECTIVE of his skin color, and nothing else.

Also, Abdelkader is obviously an Arabic name. Is Justin Abdelkader the first player in the NHL of Arabic origin?

True equality is when a person is judged for his/her abilities, not for their race, religion, or ethnic origin. Furthermore, the job of GMs is to provide a team with players who can help them win, not to make statements about social situations. Mike Grier the player, should be considered IRRESPECTIVE of his skin color, and nothing else.

Also, Abdelkader is obviously an Arabic name. Is Justin Abdelkader the first player in the NHL of Arabic origin?

Thanks to Stillwater for providing the name Ramzi Abid.

In addition to what I wrote above, the Red Wings gave a fair chance to Nathan Robinson in 2002, but evidently felt he wasn't good enough. Robinson may be palying hockey in Germany now.

In addition to what I wrote above, the Red Wings gave a fair chance to Nathan Robinson in 2002, but evidently felt he wasn't good enough. Robinson may be palying hockey in Germany now.

Message to myself and others: Always Preview post before posting; Robinson may be playing hockey in Germany now.

I rooted for Robinson primarily because we had the same name. I'm not sure if his presence promoted more interests from the black community, but I'm damn sure he did influence a lot of Nathan's...? Okay not really.

I also don't believe that the fans of Park, Paek, Kariyas, Setoguchi, Fukufuji and now Raymond Sawada were gained because of their asian heritage, but because they play the game of Hockey. However, I'm sure we'll see their influences from their culture in many years to come.

Edited by w1ng3dLV

the fact of the matter is that it is far more expensive to get started up playing hockey rather than basketball or any other major sports, so most blacks cant afford it.

Edited by hckypete96

the fact of the matter is that it is far more expensive to get started up playing hockey rather than basketball or any other major sports, so most blacks cant affrod it.

:blink: I just got some popcorn and beer...just waiting for the fireworks.

In the real world a black player with skills like Ovechkin would probably create a small wave of black interest in Hockey if they played in a USA urban center... Iginla was that good if he had started and produced young in Philly or NY... He didnt though... Grier is not going to be the Hockey Tiger Woods playing in Detroit if he did...

y was what i said bad? its true blacks are poorer than other races on average......

nah, I just love beer and popcorn and um fireworks...

Well, if we were to go with the poorest ethnicity in the North Americas...It would actually be the Native Americans or First Nations as I'm sure they're referred to in Canada. (Cheechoo) Gesundheit! I crack myself up... ~ahem~

With that said, there are many of them that have played Hockey as well! So there goes your theory out the window.

I also forgot to mention Mr. Tootoo!! He's Inuit Indian. What was the topic again?

Edited by w1ng3dLV

I don't get what is wrong with thinking a Black player might get some African-Americans interested in hockey in Detroit. In Toronto there is a large Muslim population and the team has admitted that one of the benefits of drafting Nazem Kadri might be that more Muslims in Toronto will become Leafs fans. Obviously it shouldn't be the top priority, but if there are 2 equal players out there and one of them might be able to attract a different ethnic group then the team would be dumb to not at least consider getting the player who might diversify their fan base.

Edited by Manoir

blacks are too poor to play hockey im sry thats the bottom line. its so expensive to start playing and so much money per season it just wont ever happen

I think what you're trying to say is...

...I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Didn't the Wings also cut Joel Ward?

I wonder if they'd like to have him back now considering his progress. Right handed shot too.

...Searching... Yes, they did in fact: http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/4987...ite_game_recap/

:blink: interesting about that "CUT" list....

Those released from the Red Wings organization were tryouts Pat Brush, Aaron Van Leusen, Joel Ward, Joey Hope, Matt Hubbauer, Nate Kiser, Thatcher Bell, and Chad LaRose

I can think of about half the member on here who were hoping the Wing wouldsign LaRose this off season.... Strange eh?

Don't care about diversity. Whoever plays better hockey (for the same amount of money since we have cap now) should be on the team. But then again I am no politician. So I might be missing how it is going to lead to world peace.

blacks are too poor to play hockey im sry thats the bottom line. its so expensive to start playing and so much money per season it just wont ever happen

Let play a quick game of "dumb guy or troll."

I'll go first

Troll

I believe the lack of diversity stems more from the lack of affordability of hockey. The majority of minorities (linguistic ha) still populate low-class, low-value areas such as Detroit. Basketball, baseball, and football are all cheaper than hockey by a wide margin.

This is exactly it. I've known quite a few black people who enjoy hockey but they've never played it and so they're not die-hard fans. It's all about affordability. This si why hockey will always be a niche sport.