• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Secret

Red Wings Pre-Season in Review

Rate this topic

Hello LGW, nice to see you all again after a rough summer break... I have to say I am still sore from that miserable team effort in game 7 and moreso because it was against the Penguins.

Well this is a new year and a new team, unfortunately for me I have only been following the pre-season headlines I haven't had the time follow any closer. I've seen the new additions and of course I know of the departures! I was actually thinking that this years team has a great possibility of being even better then last years givien that those who are expected to take a step forward .. ahem filpula... actually do and make some progress. So far I'm not liking the pre-season head lines and thought I'd turn to LGW to get everyone's opinion. I've been assuming our horrible start has been due to line juggling, trying different combo's and the lack of our starting players in the line up?

Catch me up on what been going on... who is looking good? Who is not? I'm mostly worried about Mr. Jimmy Howard, my personal feeling is that he does not have it in him even for a backup at the NHL level. Let me know what your thoughts are so far and welcome back everyone!

GO WINGS!

Filppula/Leino have looked great, definitely the standouts. Abdelkader has also been impressive, wish there was room for him in the lineup even when Helm gets healthy. Bertuzzi is looking okay too, and Franzen/Datsyuk could be a great combo this year.

Eaves and Williams have been unimpressive imo. Ozzie and Howard have both looked a little shaky at times, but atleast they both did good last night. Defensively the only one who stands out to me is Kronwall. I think he'll take a big step forward from his bad season last year. Ericsson has also looked good, atleast at times. Lebda has been absolutely horrible.

Overall it hasn't exactly been a great pre-season, but I'm not too worried. Let's wait until they play with a full lineup instead of a bunch of AHLers. For example, Zetterberg is very important for this team, and he has yet to play a game.

Edited by dat's sick

It's very early to say anything. For the players who already have their spots secured and who have looked bad at times it's probably more about their heads. For many players this seems to be just warming up time for the regular season. Too bad we haven't seen two of the most interesting players on the team Helm and Zetterberg play.

I think Howard has looked alright for a rookie back-up.

-The Wings have looked mediocre at best, terrible at worst this preseason. Even when skating the whole regular season defense they are turnover artists and the goaltenders have been hung out to dry on many occasions.

-Osgood and Howard have had up and down games, hard to gauge either's performance behind such a porous and clumsy team in front of them.

-Have seen next to nothing from our second line, being that now apparently groin injuries are contagious. Pretty irritating to be honest, since you expect players to come decently ready to play at camp, and plenty more limber.

-The top line of Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom has really shined. Mule and Pasha both look to be in mid-season form. Pasha definitely looks like he'll pass 100pts and Mule is looking good for 40+ falling outta bed. The supposed third line has been spectacular at times. Filppula and Leino look like Datsyuk-Zetterberg redux. Both control the puck really well and Leino looks a bit quicker, as does Filppula surprisingly.

-Free agent acquisitions haven't shown much of anything, which isn't very positive. Bertuzzi still seems slow, Williams still seems like Samuelsson's understudy, and outside of last night's game with Filppula and Leino, Eaves has been pretty much invisible.

-Helm is hurt for a few weeks, bum shoulder, so that sucks a lot. Abdelkader has looked great. Ericsson has actually had a pretty rough preseason.

-Brad May to me looks like he could POSSIBLY fill a Dallas Drake role. The guy has a great attitude, like mixing Downey with Shanahan. He can skate and looks better than Maltby out there, and he dropped the gloves with Rosehill and went toe-to-toe with him.

I'm a bit worried, just because I was really expecting a focussed, prepared, and hungry Wings team to come to camp, and I really don't feel that was the case. I've really never seen so many turnovers in my life by the Wings. I've literally seen Wings setting up high-slot onetimers and skating the puck right onto the stick of the opponent. I'm just hoping that the combination of an AHL roster and veteran preseason complacency is all it is, and that come puck drop in Stockholm, the team is ready to bear down and get to work. There is really no definite way to tell until then.

Don't worry guys...it's gonna be okay. I figured out the problem. I have a countdown going on where I cross off the days till the first game. This morning I realized that I messed up at some point because I had 4 days when it was really supposed to be 5 days today. This matter has been corrected so now the good karma will come back.

I'll spare you all from anymore mindfly or micah posts:

The Wings will not make the playoffs this season. They're too old and soft. It's all over.

The real question remains: what team do we root for now?

Osgoods holes looked huge you know the ones over his shoulder in the top corner and between the pads when he goes down.

Kronwall was throwing some big checks keep your heads up!

Staurt looks solid

Ryno ( dont think its spelled that way) is a rookie id like to watch he looked very fluid out there to me and he looks like he could be pretty slick.

Kronwall was throwing some big checks keep your heads up!

Staurt looks solid

Ryno ( dont think its spelled that way) is a rookie id like to watch he looked very fluid out there to me and he looks like he could be pretty slick.

Yeah, I hope that Kronwall throws himself around in the regular season too this time and not just in the playoffs.

Ryno is Ryno, but Staurt is actually Stuart.

Guest mindfly

Well even captain lidstrom said quote "It's unacceptable the way we've been playing thus far, this isn't good enough"

Even the captain can't get his players to perform... I'll be judging them on oct 2nd here... will be fun

Hello LGW, nice to see you all again after a rough summer break... I have to say I am still sore from that miserable team effort in game 7 and moreso because it was against the Penguins.

Well this is a new year and a new team, unfortunately for me I have only been following the pre-season headlines I haven't had the time follow any closer. I've seen the new additions and of course I know of the departures! I was actually thinking that this years team has a great possibility of being even better then last years givien that those who are expected to take a step forward .. ahem filpula... actually do and make some progress. So far I'm not liking the pre-season head lines and thought I'd turn to LGW to get everyone's opinion. I've been assuming our horrible start has been due to line juggling, trying different combo's and the lack of our starting players in the line up?

Catch me up on what been going on... who is looking good? Who is not? I'm mostly worried about Mr. Jimmy Howard, my personal feeling is that he does not have it in him even for a backup at the NHL level. Let me know what your thoughts are so far and welcome back everyone!

GO WINGS!

The preseason means nothing. Afterall the Lions were 4-0 in the preseason last year and 0-16 in the regular season...

Guest mindfly
Its pre-season, and they got Sweden on their mind! They'll be fine

Oh gee.. I thought they were professionals though?

J.Willy and Leino look like great moves so far. It's hard to gauge Williams since he's still jellin and hasn't played much. His shot is MASSIVE and he seems to handle the puck and skate better than the 2006 Willy. I expect big things from him.

Kronwall is by far our best defensemen this preseason. Lidstrom is mediocre at best. Stuart is lost at times and Ericsson has made some bone head mistakes that I'll chulk up as rookie. Lebda and Meech are horrible. I'd love to see Brad May take Meech money and let Meech walk.

Flip and Leino.. Oh.My.God. These guys are the real deal! These guys play like a solid 2nd line. Add in Hank, and you have a dominating line that might be classifieds and the official Red Wings 1st line. But it's yet to be seen if Hank plays on that line or how they Jel.

Dats and Franzen look dominant at times, but Dats seems rusty compared to the Dats we all know...

Ozzy seems shaky, Howard seems more stable to me. Ozzy seems sleepy/dazy. Howard was impressive in yesterdays game. I like him and think he'll may all the naysayers go away or cry. I think may LGW posters are going to look for any little thing in his game to cry about and try to make a big issue out of nothing, esp if he doesn't play like a Luongo. Doesn't seem fair, but that's how LGW posters roll over here. Ridiculous.

Eaves hasn't earned s*** so far. I'll take May over him... I was hoping he'd be like a 'Cleary' story, but it's not looking good. Ryno I like but hasn't done much. I think he should play with the Griffins, maybe he'll get it together. I think he has a lot of upside if he has the 'want' and 'will'. However, past reports about his attitude isn't promising. I was hoping

Who cares Wings lost the last 5 games? Doesn't mean s***.

Ritola and Newbury and Kindl (sp) should all have been cut by now, but it's preseason so no biggie. But they are not ready to be in the NHL.

Most impressive so far:

Kronwall

Leino

Flip

Jason Williams

Howard

Abby (even though he has made some bonehead mistakes like Ericsson has - again, just rookie errors)

(at times) Ryno has spurts like he's going to break out.

Least impressive

Bertuzzi

Eaves

Meech

Lebda

Newberry

Ritola

(probably more since I didn't even notice their presence)

Guys who are not impressive but get breaks because they will play up to par when it really matters:

Lidstrom

Datsyuk

Cleary

Osgood

Franzen (at times - other times he's a beast)

If I didn't mention their names is because they weren't a factor to me.

Again, this is preseason, so the only guys who get scrutiny from me is the guys who are suppose to be fightine for a roster spot, but I guess some kids don't care because they know they don't have a chance.

I'm not sure if Holmstrom should get 1st line ice time all the time... Maybe when Bab wants to mix it up and on PP. I'd like to see Babcock try other combos with Dats and Franzen.... maybe give Cleary more time with them, or try Williams. I'd like to see Hank with Flip and Leino; that might be our best line. I don't where to put Bert. I don't feel he's earned a spot on the 1st or 2nd line yet.

I've liked most of the games. Newbury, Janik, Delmore, Kindl and May will give us great depth from the minors, IMO they've all had strong camps. Bertuzzi can get alot better, Williams looks good, Eaves hasnt done a thing. Zetterberg hasnt played, Homer looks better, Franzen looks good, Cleary looks very confident and strong. Abdelkader has been great, I hope he gets lots of looks this year.

Defence, Kronwall has easily been the best. Stuarts been meh, Rafalski and Lidstrom I havent seen much, Meech and Lebda have been horrible. Ericssons got some work to do.

Howard and Ozzie have been alright.

I dont think the pre-season is much other then hockey to watch, the Swedes will be dialed up and ready to go for Sweden, in their homeland, if we dont come out 2-0, then I'll have some concern, as of now, not worried about s***.

The 5 losses doesn't really seem like a big deal to me. They've been playing alot less actual NHLers then the other teams because I think they want to rest theguns for Sweden. Guys like Newbury and co have been kept around longer then they would've been last season to rest our good players for the trip overseas.

The Wings have consistently playing their AHLers. Granted, as a team they haven't been playing too well but the games I've seen they've had about 7 or 8 of the 12 forwards as AHLers. Apparently the Griffins don't play any exhibition games this year so the Wings have held onto their youth longer this year to get them more ice time and to rest their veterans to gear up for their trip to Sweden.

I think ppl are being overly critical. Bertuzzi really has looked solid in my opinion. His set up on the Kronwall goal in Friday's game was huge as he drove the net hard and helped made a goal happen. Anyways, to keep this short I think ppl always jump to panic but it seems to me the Wings always start slowly - in the preseason and regular season even. It's nothing to panic and freak out about.

Ritola and Newbury and Kindl (sp) should all have been cut by now, but it's preseason so no biggie. But they are not ready to be in the NHL.

Least impressive

Bertuzzi

Eaves

Meech

Lebda

Newberry

Ritola

(probably more since I didn't even notice their presence)

I can't believe you put Ritola in the 'least impressive' group. He's been great. He's played 6 games and is still up with the Wings so I think it's fair to say that he's impressing Babcock. He's a +2, has played solid defensively and most importantly, he has not looked out of place. He's a youngster taking steps towards becoming an NHL player, there's not much more he could have done. Dare I say that the coaching staff would be very pleased with what he's displayed over pre-season.

Otherwise a pretty solid post, although people are being far too harsh on Eaves. Let's wait for the real stuff before writing him off eh folks?

3455946450_3673ae8021.jpg

Some people pushing this before the season starts????

Geez guys... can we at least wait till we hit the all-star break before making predictions about the playoffs?

alot of new guys and guys brought in.... we havent really had this many different players trying to mesh together on the forward side of things for quite sometime! our forward lines have been really shaken up this year...

wait it out its a low point yes but there will be plenty of high points too.

Holland even called this a "Transition Year" But who knows?