• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Booster313

Top 3 Former Wings

Rate this topic

Guest micah

Feds is the only active former Wing I'd want back. Maybe Shanahan at $500k for 1 year, if he would accept any spot he was plugged into.

O.K. if you want active players, then I'll change my list

1. Fedorov - would love to see him leave the KHL and end his career in Detroit, possibly putting his name up in the rafters.

2. Sean Avery - better player than he's given credit for, and could draw lots of PP's for us.

3. Sammy - Provided waayyyy too much humor for me, and I miss some of the laughs. Greatest backhand deke in hockey.

2. Sean Avery - better player than he's given credit for, and could draw lots of PP's for us.

Almost certainly the reverse is true. It's been a while since he's managed to play anything close to a full season, but when he does he routinely finishes near or at the top of the minor penalties taken list, a dubious honor.

Guest ZetterbergFourty

Active:

Jiri Hudler

Sean Avery

Manny Legace, yeah i said it.

Retired/Deceased:

Steve Yzerman

Terry Sawchuck

Bob Probert

Players that could reasonably help us in 2009. No disrespect, Ghost of Terry Sawchuk. Or Jiri Fischer for that matter, that was a good call above. Also a general pass on anyone in their late 30s or 40s.

1. Quincey - Obvious pick that everyone has. Young, high upside. Would be huge for us in a couple years with a bunch of guys getting old.

2. Hossa - Still hoping for the trade when Chicago has to go into fire sale mode eventually lol.

3. Samuelsson - Better player than given credit for. Has looked good with Vancouver so far.

I desperately wanted to put a goalie on, Legace, Conklin, possibly even Hasek :scared: , but I'm just not feeling it with any of those guys. Besides, I'd rather know what we have with Howard, even if the answer isn't good. At least we'd know.

Follow up to my top 3 -- Why I picked Hossa, Kozlov and Avery

1) Marian Hossa (kinda stating the obvious with this one)

2) Slava Kozlov (He has been putting up 60-70 pt seasons in Atlanta - ATLANTA!)

3) Sean Avery (I know a lot of people hate him, I absolutely love the guy and his game)

1. Shanny - can still contribute, adds some grit, and another good beard.

2. Avery - the Sean Avery after Torterella who's playing the pest, drawing calls and contributing

3. Quincey - physical, can fight, and would be a great fit on the PP and isnt Meech/Lebda.

Almost certainly the reverse is true. It's been a while since he's managed to play anything close to a full season, but when he does he routinely finishes near or at the top of the minor penalties taken list, a dubious honor.

Those are just game misconduct penalties at the end of games that tend to inflate stats. You know, 10 minutes for this and 10 minutes for that. It doesn't mean his team is shorthanded for all that time. I think he'd be a good player here.

And if he runs his mouth in the locker room, Lilja or May will shut it anyway.

Those are just game misconduct penalties at the end of games that tend to inflate stats. You know, 10 minutes for this and 10 minutes for that. It doesn't mean his team is shorthanded for all that time. I think he'd be a good player here.

I specifically mentioned minor penalties (the stats are kept at NHL.com) because that's what actually hurts you, and for many years before his run of missing time he was the leader or near it in minors.

Ok, well let's take a look at the Wings' strengths and needs.

The Wings definitely don't need offensive defensemen. Especially not one whose defensive game is not really much better than average. So that's a no to guys like Quincey and Schneider. A defensive defenseman might be a good selection, a guy such as Aaron Ward.

Goaltending, a backup who is better than Howard might be a good pick, so you could bring in Conklin, MacDonald, MacIntyre or Legace.

And finally, the best addition would be one or two top-six forwards who can play a two-way game, preferably guys who are big, strong, and fast. After that, guys who are highly skilled but not quite as good two way are also good selections. Sergei Fedorov, Marian Hossa, Slava Kozlov, Mike Knuble, Jiri Hudler, Mikael Samuelsson, Robert Lang, and Tomas Fleischmann are all names that come to mind.

So the real question is not so much "Which are the top three players" as "What would be the biggest improvements?"

Ignoring the salary cap:

Replace Kirk Maltby with Marian Hossa.

Replace Kris Draper with Sergei Fedorov @ 3.8m (his current KHL deal)

Replace Brett Lebda with Aaron Ward

Staying under the cap

Replace Jimmy Howard (717k) with Joey MacDonald (650k)

Replace Tomas Holmstrom (2.25m) with Sergei Fedorov @ 3.8m

Replace Brad Stuart (3.75m) with Aaron Ward (2.5m)

Other than Hossa, I think Kozlov is the best player still available. Not saying I'd sign him necessarily, but he's still an impact player. The others are all role players now, essentially.

So I'd have to say:

1. Conklin (because we need a good backup)

2. Hossa

3. Kozlov

This is turning into a more interesting thread than I originally intended.

Some great ideas, even some players I forgot about and for the record yes they have to be active now. Or at least reasonably able to come out of retirement. So deceased players just won't work.

Pretty much Hossa/Conks/Sammy for me, although I still have a soft spot for Aaron 'whatever he hits he destroys' Ward, and Slava Kozlov.

Anyone hear anything about Martin Lapointe, did he retire?

Not really a huge impact player, but in a couple years Shawn Matthias might break out in Florida. He hasn't looked too bad in the couple games I've watched.

Keeping it strictly to currently playing...

Quincey- he'd pair well with Ericsson, I think.

Koslov- good enough puck sense, probably do great on the second line with Franzen.

Conklin- backup or 1a/1b goaltending