• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Echolalia

Jimmy Howard watch thread

Rate this topic

I know, I just like ripping on Luongo. :D

"Pretty good" and "don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina" are two different animals. My point was that other goalies have significantly closed the gap with him. Bryzgolov in particular is making a very strong case. He's killing it in SO and has brought the Coyotes within reach of the Western Conference lead.

I'm aware of how other goalies have fared in the recent past, but I still think its too little too late. IMO Miller has had the Vezina locked for a while now, barring a complete meltdown.

I'm aware of how other goalies have fared in the recent past, but I still think its too little too late. IMO Miller has had the Vezina locked for a while now, barring a complete meltdown.

Although I do agree, let's take a look at the stats:

Ryan Miller: 38 W 16 L 8 OT .929SV% 2.21GAA 5SO

Jimmy Howard: 32 W 15 L 9 OT .926SV% 2.24GAA 2SO

Pretty damn comparable. That being said, I still think Miller wins it but you gotta figure Howard gets some thought.

Although I do agree, let's take a look at the stats:

Ryan Miller: 38 W 16 L 8 OT .929SV% 2.21GAA 5SO

Jimmy Howard: 32 W 15 L 9 OT .926SV% 2.24GAA 2SO

Pretty damn comparable. That being said, I still think Miller wins it but you gotta figure Howard gets some thought.

I'm sure somebody will mention Howard's name, along with Bryzgalov's name, too. They've had stellar seasons. But will either of them get the majority vote? It seems both of us think not.

edit: I also updated the first post, so in fufilling my superstition of Howard playing worse when I update, he'll be good for three goals tonight.

Edited by Echolalia

Agreed.

But honestly, if at the start of the season someone would've told me people would be discussing Jimmy Howard for the Vezina, I would've chalked it up to insane homerism instead of a legitimate discussion. He won't win it, but I think he's worthy of mention in the Vezina conversation, and that alone is pretty incredible.

I really didn't know what to make of Howard based on his AHL play, but what a tremendous surprise he's been this season. And a HUGE part of the reason the Wings are in a playoff spot.

My main beef with him has been rebound control, but he's really improved it, makes himself big in net, and is aggressive without taking himself out of position as much. He's made me a believer.

Edited by haroldsnepsts

Agreed.

But honestly, if at the start of the season someone would've told me people would be discussing Jimmy Howard for the Vezina, I would've chalked it up to insane homerism instead of a legitimate discussion. He won't win it, but I think he's worthy of mention in the Vezina conversation, and that alone is pretty incredible.

I really didn't know what to make of Howard based on his AHL play, but what a tremendous surprise he's been this season. And a HUGE part of the reason the Wings are in a playoff spot.

My main beef with him has been rebound control, but he's really improved it, makes himself big in net, and is aggressive without taking himself out of position as much. He's made me a believer.

Rebound control is exactly whan I've been saying all season. He has improved it noticeably, although he does still at times make some fairly bad positioning decisions (2 of the 4 goals against Edmonton were because he did so) he definitely is showing the potential we have been expecting and hearing about.

Agreed.

Hopefully he can keep at it next year, and work on his rebound control. I'll admit that it has been getting better as the season progresses, but he still has some ways to go before I'll be completely comfortable with him in net without a defensman or two to bail him out. If he can master his rebound issue a Vezina may definitely be in his future.

Also, I'm not updating this thread for the rest of the season. My superstition was confirmed :(

Guest Crymson

Hopefully he can keep at it next year, and work on his rebound control. I'll admit that it has been getting better as the season progresses, but he still has some ways to go before I'll be completely comfortable with him in net without a defensman or two to bail him out. If he can master his rebound issue a Vezina may definitely be in his future.

Also, I'm not updating this thread for the rest of the season. My superstition was confirmed :(

Don't worry. He'll get shutouts in every game for the rest of the regular season and in the playoffs.

Red Wings' Howard named NHL Rookie of the Month

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523582

Thumbing through that link gives me hope a about Howard's Calder chances. It seems the league is putting a lot of stock into the wins column (comparing Howard to other goalies) as well as the rookie's influence on the team's standings. Myers was almost a point per game player in March, and Gustavson had the same s% and a lower GAA, but less games played/less wins. Hopefully the same mindset applies when they determine the Calder winner.

Personally I didn't think Howard's March was all that strong. Not weak, but the numbers didn't stand out to me as much as a number of other times throughout the year.

Edited by Echolalia

Thumbing through that link gives me hope a about Howard's Calder chances. It seems the league is putting a lot of stock into the wins column (comparing Howard to other goalies) as well as the rookie's influence on the team's standings. Myers was almost a point per game player in March, and Gustavson had the same s% and a lower GAA, but less games played/less wins. Hopefully the same mindset applies when they determine the Calder winner.

Personally I didn't think Howard's March was all that strong. Not weak, but the numbers didn't stand out to me as much as a number of other times throughout the year.

I assume they took in to consideration his games played and consecutive starts as well as the teams awesome rise through the Western conference on this last run. As I felt the same way, not bad just not great...which is a great sign for us!

I just don't see any other goalie besides Miller getting the Vezina.

this

Red Wings' Howard named NHL Rookie of the Month

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=523582

Not just that, but 2nd star of the month overall. That's gonna help for Calder.

I think he had a couple of weak games right after the break, but from early March on he has been pretty great.

Edited by clutchngrab

SV%

T. Rask | BOS .930

R. Miller | BUF .928

T. Vokoun | FLA .926

J. Howard | DET .925

J. Halak | MTL .923

GAA

T. Rask 1.99

R. Miller | BUF 2.22

A. Niemi | CHI 2.24

M. Kiprusoff | CGY 2.26

J. Howard | DET 2.27

9th in Wins win 34 (Brodeur has 41)

Just to update the stats.

SV%

T. Rask | BOS .930

R. Miller | BUF .928

T. Vokoun | FLA .926

J. Howard | DET .925

J. Halak | MTL .923

GAA

T. Rask 1.99

R. Miller | BUF 2.22

A. Niemi | CHI 2.24

M. Kiprusoff | CGY 2.26

J. Howard | DET 2.27

9th in Wins win 34 (Brodeur has 41)

Just to update the stats.

Feel free to take over the job as I've officially retired from updated in this thread. Of course if Jimmy sucks in his next game I'm relinquishing your rights.

Jimmy Howard

gp 61

gs 59

wins 35 (9th)

Losses 15

OTL 10

GA 139

GAA 2.31(7th)

SA 1798

SV 1659

SV% .923 (5th)

SO 2

I put the ranks on those three for obvious reasons, and also to make this statement, whatever shakiness or rebound control J-Ho has shown this season, I will take it all as long as the Red Wings netminder ranks top 10 in those three categories!

His save percentage is quite impressive when you factor in he only has 2 shutouts. People always said that consistency was his biggest hurdle down in the AHL. Up here in the NHL this year, he has been rock solid and consistent. When he's on his game he looks so big in net. Keep er going Jimmy.

Jimmy looked good tonight. Its good to see that he'll be ending the season with more than two shutouts also. By the way, I just did some calculations, and in addition to being in the top five for save percentage and goals against, as well as in the top ten for wins, he is sixth best in the league for wins/starts ratio, winning 60% of the games he has started in this year. That says alot IMO considering the circus act of injuries the Wings faced this season.