No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
40#1Fan

Red Wings' Johan Franzen skates with team for first time

Rate this topic

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...zen_skates.html

By Ansar Khan

January 05, 2010, 3:51PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen skated with his teammates for the first time on Tuesday since suffering a torn ACL on Oct. 8.

“I had the catch the bus, it’s leaving in 20 minutes, so I couldn’t go out after,'' Franzen said. “It’s only a pregame skate so it’s not that hard, no battling, only up and down and shooting a little bit.’’

Franzen said he doesn't know if this is an indication that he might return before the Olympic break.

"Got to be careful, still,'' he said.

Said coach Mike Babcock: “I saw him yesterday, he was on the ice before us, he shot it in the top corner (with) a wrist shot from the far end and I thought, 'Geez, we could use him. I haven’t seen a whole lot of that going on this year.' ''

Right wing Jason Williams (broken fibula on Nov. 7) skated in a warmup suit near the end of practice, the first time he's really tested his leg on the ice.

"It's still a little ways from being able to play,'' Williams. "I'm just happy I could get out there and sort of tolerate everything a little bit more than the first time I went out.''

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall (sprained MCL) is the only player who isn't skating. He had a recent setback and hasn't been on the ice since Dec. 20.

"Just trying to be careful, not do anything that's going to set us back,'' Kronwall said. "Being patient now. Letting the (cortisone) shot I took last week do its thing.''

Guest CaliWingsNut
Said coach Mike Babcock: “I saw him yesterday, he was on the ice before us, he shot it in the top corner (with) a wrist shot from the far end and I thought, 'Geez, we could use him. I haven’t seen a whole lot of that going on this year.' ''

Babcock indirectly picking on Lids?

Guest Lidstromboli

:bounce:

I was gonna say give Williams' good leg to the Mule and put him out on the ice.

Can you even imagine if we could trade body parts on players?

Poor Leino would be headed back to Finland with a broken leg, torn/sprained ACL/MCL, concussion headaches, a couple of shoulder injuries, and tendonitis in his elbow.

Poor Leino would be headed back to Finland with a broken leg, torn/sprained ACL/MCL, concussion headaches, a couple of shoulder injuries, and tendonitis in his elbow.

:lol: Don't forget hurt feelings!

esteef

I know a guy, who knows a guy, who knows a guy that works for the wings. This guy has been saying since december that Franzen will be returning earlier than everybody expects... I wonder....

I know a guy who knows a guy who works for the organization and went out and bought a Hossa jersey as soon as last year's Finals were over because he was so confident about him re-signing. Not discrediting your source, but I don't put much stock in them. ;)

I know a guy who knows a guy who works for the organization and went out and bought a Hossa jersey as soon as last year's Finals were over because he was so confident about him re-signing. Not discrediting your source, but I don't put much stock in them. ;)

Oh I 100% agree... just saying :D

:lol:

If LGW ran the universe... :ph34r:

YAY MULE! There shall be much rejoicing upon your return!

Great news though. I imagine he'll be playing like a beast when he comes back too.

I really hope so. My impression though, is that ACL injuries aren't something you come back from in top form. It takes quite a bit of time (like 6 months or longer after the recovery period) to get pretty close to where you were before.

Either your family works in the illicit organ transplant business or you have a distant relation to Frankenstein! Seriously, your post cracked me up. I suppose Ville would have one organ perfectly in tact - heart! :)

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/20...zen_skates.html

By Ansar Khan

January 05, 2010, 3:51PM

ANAHEIM, Calif. -- Detroit Red Wings forward Johan Franzen skated with his teammates for the first time on Tuesday since suffering a torn ACL on Oct. 8.

“I had the catch the bus, it’s leaving in 20 minutes, so I couldn’t go out after,'' Franzen said. “It’s only a pregame skate so it’s not that hard, no battling, only up and down and shooting a little bit.’’

Franzen said he doesn't know if this is an indication that he might return before the Olympic break.

"Got to be careful, still,'' he said.

Right wing Jason Williams (broken fibula on Nov. 7) skated in a warmup suit near the end of practice, the first time he's really tested his leg on the ice.

"It's still a little ways from being able to play,'' Williams. "I'm just happy I could get out there and sort of tolerate everything a little bit more than the first time I went out.''

Defenseman Niklas Kronwall (sprained MCL) is the only player who isn't skating. He had a recent setback and hasn't been on the ice since Dec. 20.

"Just trying to be careful, not do anything that's going to set us back,'' Kronwall said. "Being patient now. Letting the (cortisone) shot I took last week do its thing.''

Man I hope Kronwall's going to be ready soon. :( Last we heard he thought he might be ready to go for the Sharks game on Saturday, but I guess that was an overly optimistic goal.

Either your family works in the illicit organ transplant business or you have a distant relation to Frankenstein! Seriously, your post cracked me up. I suppose Ville would have one organ perfectly in tact - heart! :)

Yeah, until Fischer found out about this organ trading scheme.

I still think losing Kronwall has been the biggest blow to this team so far, sans maybe losing Z. I think we might've been able to get through Z if not for that Dallas loss. We were playing real well heading in and played a great first game with out him and should've won but we just didn't get the goaltending unfortunately. I really think that game killed some momentum we had going after adjusting to Kronwall being out.

But check out the game logs...we didn't get shut out before Kronwall went down and we simply didn't have near the scoring issues we've had since. Rafs and Lids, despite being vilified lately, have put up respectable offensive numbers all things considered but Stuarts a defensive defensemen. Kronwall brought the offense to that 2nd pairing, and he was doing so better than any of our other defensemen and many of our forwards as well! He's really become an incredibly important part of this team because he fills a much needed role superbly. That's why I think his injury is only rivaled by Z's, and I'm not sure that Kronwall's isn't more detrimental to the team considering how much of our offense starts with our D. If there's no one to get it going from our end, which is our game, there's only so much Z can do. The system is what's important and we've adapted and filled roles real well for the most part, but Kronwall's just a big piece of the puzzle at this point that's missing.

Everyone is mentioning that he shouldn't rush back, but I'm thinking that's exactly what he plans to do. You can tell he wants to play for the Olympic team, and if he gets a game or 2 in before the break, then I'm sure he can make his case. I don't think the wings doctors would clear him though, unless he was 100%. I think the Olympics means more to him then the NHL, not that I could blame him.

Anyways, getting the Mule back will be like a nice trade deadline acquisition.

Guest mindfly
Everyone is mentioning that he shouldn't rush back, but I'm thinking that's exactly what he plans to do. You can tell he wants to play for the Olympic team, and if he gets a game or 2 in before the break, then I'm sure he can make his case. I don't think the wings doctors would clear him though, unless he was 100%. I think the Olympics means more to him then the NHL, not that I could blame him.

Anyways, getting the Mule back will be like a nice trade deadline acquisition.

It could be his only chance too, he has hardly played with the nationalteam either, next olympic he will be 34-35 and who knows if he will be as powerful then as he is now....

Edited by mindfly