• Please log in to reply
103 replies to this topic

#41 DatsyukianDeke13

DatsyukianDeke13

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,229 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 07:48 AM

Best way to judge rookie of the year is how the player impacted his team. Jimmy Howard would have my vote (and for the record, I was very strongly against Jimmy Howard in the beginning of the season)
Mixed feelings about this
JERSEY SALE!!!!! PM IF INTERESTED!(I have international and red wings jerseys)
Posted Image

#42 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,834 posts

Posted 25 January 2010 - 11:18 AM

Matt Duchene and Tavares will definately get some of the strongest considerations. Seeing how he has played so far, Howard could very well be in there as well.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#43 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:39 AM

Updated through games of Sunday, Jan. 31st.

Rask, Tavares and Bergfors all had a bad week.

I would say Duchene had the best week again, Howard was second best this week and Myers ranked third this week.... IMHO...LOL
Defense and goaltending win championships!!!

#44 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:07 PM

QUOTE (zettie85 @ January 10, 2010 - 05:23AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you look at NHL.com, Jimmy is getting way more attention then Tavares these days. His play this season hasn't warranted him a Calder yet but if he plays like this for the rest of the year it will be hard for them to not vote for him.

He is also a good story about a guy on his last leg when it comes to NHL hockey. His last shot and finally started playing up to his potential. Who wouldn't like that story?

if the wings drop the hammer and get a top 4 spot in the west with alot of 1 goal game wins, then howard wins the calder. if not, myers hands down over tavares. btw, duchene > tavares...mark my words! pretty much on par for points too.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#45 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

I think Tyler Myers is the only name worth mentioning....yes, I do believe he's that far ahead of all the other potentials. Unless something strange happens, he's winning.

#46 Louisville

Louisville

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,513 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:39 PM

Obviously, I hope Howard wins but if not then Matt Duchene should get it. Colorado has been in the playoffs mostly all season because of offense from guys like him.

Although his +/- needs some work.

#47 Lidstromboli

Lidstromboli

buncha geezers

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,454 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:45 PM

hopefully there's some sort of Avs-Wings rivalry in the future so i can refer to Duchene as "Douchene"

Edited by Lidstromboli, 01 February 2010 - 02:45 PM.

Posted Image

#48 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,721 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:07 PM

If the season ended right now, I would think it would be between Duchene, Myers and Howard...

For the record, I was also very against Howard early in the year. I felt that his inconsistency during his time in the AHL would plague him. I'm certainly eating crow, because the guy is 5th in save percentage and 7th in G.A.A.

Edited by Jesusberg, 01 February 2010 - 03:17 PM.

#49 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:11 PM

Stats have been updated through games of Sunday, Feb. 14th....Olympic break.

Over the past two weeks:

Tuukka Rask performed the best getting points in every game he played, winning 4, 2 OTL's and 1 shutout, while lowering his GAA & raising his SV%. He was my FIRST star over that time.

Duchene was SECOND star getting 3 goals & 3 assists with his ice time increasing and going PLUS 7 over that time. Two of his goals on the PP. He is really helping keep Colorado up in the standings. Overall, I would say he is leading the pack.

Howard gets THIRD star while keeping the Wings afloat over the past two weeks and being steady in goal.

Bergfors gets honorable mention as switching teams to Atlanta will help pad his stats. He had 3 goals and 1 assist over the past two weeks.

Myers had only 1 goal and went MINUS 3 over the past two weeks.

Tavares gets the goat award for the past two weeks as he had only 1 assist and went MINUS 8 over that time. He seems to be slipping as the season moves on. The last 6 weeks will filter out those who can't handle the longer season.

#50 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,834 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (Jesusberg @ February 1, 2010 - 03:07PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If the season ended right now, I would think it would be between Duchene, Myers and Howard...

For the record, I was also very against Howard early in the year. I felt that his inconsistency during his time in the AHL would plague him. I'm certainly eating crow, because the guy is 5th in save percentage and 7th in G.A.A.

So much for all the Tavares mania before the season.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#51 marcaractac

marcaractac

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,351 posts

Posted 15 February 2010 - 09:24 PM

QUOTE (Hockeytown0001 @ February 15, 2010 - 01:33PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
So much for all the Tavares mania before the season.

He'll come around next season I'd say, much like Stamkos has this season.

#52 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 08 March 2010 - 03:32 AM

Stats are updated through games of Sunday, March 7, 2010.

It looks like it is becoming a two-man race between Jimmy Howard and Matt Duchene.

First star goes to Jimmy Howard who added three wins this week, but his GAA went up a bit (.09)this week and his save percentage went down a bit (.003).

Second star goes to Matt Duchene who added 3 points this week (1 goal & 1 assist was on the PP) and brought his rating on the plus side for the first time in a long time.

Third star goes to Niclas Bergfors who is finding some benefit playing with his new team. He added three goals.

Tavares again was a no-show this week, managing only one assist and his plus/minus declining again down to -19.

Myers added one point this week and his ice time is increasing even more.

Rask was in goal for one game and his GAA average also went up a bit (.07)

#53 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:04 AM

The stats are updated through Sunday, March 21st.

The number one star over the last 2 weeks is Tyler Myers. He has accumulated 9 points over that time and increased his rating 10 points going from +3 to +13. His ice team is increasing even more. Plus he gets a huge bonus point for dumping the puck over the glass allowing the Wings to defeat Buffalo on the ensuing power play in overtime on March 13th.....LOL.

The second star goes to Jimmy Howard. He has elevated the W‌ings into a playoff position going 4-1-1 over the last two weeks and lowering his GAA and making some unbelievable saves to keep his team in the game.

The third star goes to Bergfors. He accumulated 6 points over the last two weeks and is keeping Atlanta in playoff contention despite the loss of Kovalchuk.

Honorable mention goes to Rask. He is keeping Boston afloat with 3 wins over the last 2 weeks while Thomas is floundering. He has lowered his GAA to a league leading 2.08.

Duchene is finally slowing down. The long season I think is getting the best of him while he is getting more ice time. Over the last 2 weeks he had 2 goals against Vancouver in a loss but has had only 2 assists since then. Colorado seems to be slowing down along with Duchene as they are sinking in the standing but still should make the playoffs.

With NYI out of the playoff picture Tavares won't get much attention. He got 8 points over the last two weeks, but 5 of those were in one good game against Vancouver. He is still a minus 15.

#54 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 12:40 AM

Last Wing to win it? Anyone got this stored in their memory bank? Gonna have to go back awhile.

Zetterbe.....oh wait, they screwed him over for no good reason.

#55 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 22 March 2010 - 09:06 PM

I know it is awarded based only on regular season performance but I believe the "tiebreaker" will be how far each rookie helps him team go in the playoffs. But I don't know the date in which it is voted on.

When you rate Howie, Myers and Duchene based on how valuable they are to their teams final standing, I think you have to give it to Howie but the other two have also been very valuable.

Howie should be awarded the Calder Trophy just for the face wash on Crosby. LOL

Edited by Icesurfer, 22 March 2010 - 09:08 PM.

#56 Icesurfer

Icesurfer

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 560 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:01 PM

Stats will be updated after tomorrow's games.

Dan Pollard, host of "NHL on the Fly", said after the Nashville game and Howard's unbelievable performance, "He has to be the front runner for the Calder now".

I have to agree! His stats will be better than Mason's Calder Trophy win of last year.

#57 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,081 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:12 PM

This shutout will definitely help his case (not to mention 10 of 11 in the subsequent shootout).

#58 BlakKy

BlakKy

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:33 PM

The hockey writer from my local paper (London Free Press) chose Howard as his pick for Calder. This was last week before.. the subsequent wins and shutout tonight.

#59 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 27 March 2010 - 11:34 PM

There will be a lot of outraged fans around the NHL when Jimmy wins the Calder, but he will absolutely deserve it (the writers just might get this one right).
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#60 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,081 posts

Posted 28 March 2010 - 05:43 AM

Forget the Calder, he's now being talked about for the Vezina and even MVP!

http://sports.espn.g...cott&id=5034714
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk