• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

Am I the only one who thinks Atlanta got good return? Bergfors is young and good, Oduya is solid, Cormier will be ready next season plus 1st round draft pick somewhere in between 25 and 30... Atlanta should better dump this season and get their own pick in between 1-5 and they will have an excellent young core of Bogosian, Valabik, Enstrom, Kane, Little, Bergfors, Cormier plus some veteran presense in Antropov, Kubina, Peverley, White, Kozlov. They will be good very soon.

I agree... it was a win/win - I sill think NJ got the better end of the deal, but it was only skewed like 60/40 with that said - and if NJ can't re-sign Kovalchuk, then it's a better deal for ATL... they got 2 picks, a number 1 pick prospect, a top 2 d-man and a guy that (until his recent slump) was in the running for rookie of the year...

win/win

I don't get why teams like Atlanta make trades like these. The whole "we can't lose him for nothing" stance only works if you actually get something in return. Bergfors?He was drafted what 4 years ago and even today is a healthy scratch on some nights. A 1st round pick that'll be between 25-30. Why not just keep Kovalchuk and take your chances at trying to get in the playoffs? I like what Florida did last year. Sure they lost Bouwmeester for nothing but they used that money to sign Seidenberg and acquire Reinprecht and now they are right back at their normal level and saving a whole lot of money. They took their chance and missed the playoffs due to a tiebreak but at least they tried to make the playoffs and build some fan support. Whatever they would have gotten for a rental Bouwmeester would probably not have been any better than Reinprecht/Seidenberg.

Now now, Don Cherry's comments were discussing the lack of "blue collar" talent in Detroit, which is what brought a lot of fans to the Joe to begin with.

He actually seems to like the Red Wings from my understanding.

Kinda. While what you say about blue collar talent is true, he also pointed out that the Wings overall style is boring and contributes to why the Joe will continually have empty seats.

http://blog.mlive.com/snapshots/2009/02/do...rips_wings.html

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Crymson
Well, I'm sure Holland was like the rest of us: completely surprised that he could be moved for so little. His feelers probably hit the brick wall like everyone else's.

Nonsense! If he didn't get it done, then he must just suck! We are all better GMs than he is!

Nonsense! If he didn't get it done, then he must just suck! We are all better GMs than he is!

You must be joking - I am so much better than anyone else... I would've offered a signed, printed-at-home, picture of Datsyuk (my signature) for Kovalchuk and Atlanta would've jumped on it and the rest of the hockey community would've lauded me for being the genius that I am.

Devils win easily. Though Kovalchuk might not fit in Lemaire's system.

But Bergfors and Oduya? Can Bergfors be a top six forward and put up numbers constantly? He's in a team where he gets a bigger role now. Is it good or bad? Oduya is overpaid. Is he a top four d-man in the NHL?

Salmela will get a new chance with the Devils. Low risk, medium reward.

And even that pick trading? As like the deal wasn't good enough for Devils without swapping those 2nd round picks? LOL.

An absolute steal. Nice job Lamoriello.

I personally think Atlanta got decent return. You're not going to get a Parise for a guy that is UFA at the end of the season.

Bergfors is promising and although he's been slumping the last month he's still one of the better rookies in the league. He's got a scoring touch and will be a good player for them.

Oduya is a solid 3rd/4th d-man and is better than his stats this year show.

I think it will benefit Atlanta to not have everything centered around Kovalchuk. They should have some cap space now that they can use to acquire some more solid players, and they've got lots of good young talent.

New Jersey obviously became more dangerous in the short-term. But if they're going to re-sign Kovy they'll have to clear some room. And if they can't re-sign him, and don't win the cup this year, that's a lot to give up for a rental.

Guest mindfly
I personally think Atlanta got decent return. You're not going to get a Parise for a guy that is UFA at the end of the season.

Bergfors is promising and although he's been slumping the last month he's still one of the better rookies in the league. He's got a scoring touch and will be a good player for them.

Oduya is a solid 3rd/4th d-man and is better than his stats this year show.

I think it will benefit Atlanta to not have everything centered around Kovalchuk. They should have some cap space now that they can use to acquire some more solid players, and they've got lots of good young talent.

New Jersey obviously became more dangerous in the short-term. But if they're going to re-sign Kovy they'll have to clear some room. And if they can't re-sign him, and don't win the cup this year, that's a lot to give up for a rental.

They can then trade his rights prior to the july1st free agent frenzy and get decent returns too

They can then trade his rights prior to the july1st free agent frenzy and get decent returns too

Yeah I'm sure GM's will be throwing first-rounders for the rights to sign someone who wants a few mil more than Ovechkin.

Edited by Rufio

Guest mindfly
Yeah I'm GM's be throwing first-rounders for the rights to sign someone who wants a few mil more than Ovechkin.

Not every GM is smart you know...

Still, who says he can't settle for 8million per year if it is a team he badly wanna play for... the maximum salary thing with atlanta was probably because he didn't relly wanna play there.

Not every GM is smart you know...

Still, who says he can't settle for 8million per year if it is a team he badly wanna play for... the maximum salary thing with atlanta was probably because he didn't relly wanna play there.

And where does he really want to play? Good teams in good markets? There aren't many of those, and they're usually not run by GM's willing to give up a lot for the RIGHTS to a guy that has a history of turning down contracts in the 10 mil per year range.

Oh, and if he is "settling" for 8 mil per year it should scare away some teams too. For example I really don't see Detroit being interested in picking up Kovalchuk for that price. Teams that can afford to add a player at that price are usually in the bottom half of the standings. It's too much of a risk, what if he doesn't want to play for your team either?

Jersey is not gonna get a lot for his rights.

Edited by dat's sick

IMO Kovalchuk is better sniper than Ovechkin. Ovechkin just has had much better linemates.

Your opinion notwithstanding, Ovechkin is a 2-time and the reigning Hart trophy-winner. In Kovalchuk's much longer tenure in the NHL, he has achieved zero in comparison. So to suggest he should earn more or even as much as Ovechkin is absolutely ridiculous.

So an equivalent deal for us would be Kronwall, Helm, Abdelkader and a 1st? Still doesn't work for us under the cap.

NJ didn't give up much to get a huge impact player.

That's a ton to give up for a rental. Now if they re-sign him... then I agree with you 100%.

Your opinion notwithstanding, Ovechkin is a 2-time and the reigning Hart trophy-winner. In Kovalchuk's much longer tenure in the NHL, he has achieved zero in comparison. So to suggest he should earn more or even as much as Ovechkin is absolutely ridiculous.
It's just my opinion. We'll see what happens if he can someday play with a quality center like Backstrom.

Kovalchuk did snipe that World Championship Winning Goal against Canada in 08 :) Something Ovechkin hasn't done (yet)

There aren't many of those, and they're usually not run by GM's willing to give up a lot for the RIGHTS to a guy that has a history of turning down contracts in the 10 mil per year range.

To be fair, those offers have come from Atlanta. Despite what they're trying to make out of the situation in order to save face, I think it's much more a case of him not wanting to be a Thrasher, than him being greedy.

Patrice Cormier: Ha-ha.

Interesting. I really though New Jersey was looking forward to having him play for them next year.

A nice "out" for them if they really weren't interested in dealing with him and any future elbow issues he might have.

Im curious to see who fills the top line for New Jersey? I mean Kovalchuk - Parise - Elias? or Kovalchuk - Parise - Zajac? not a a bad problem to have if your a coach IMO
Here are the lines they practiced with:

Parise-Zajac-Rolston

Kovalchuk-Zubrus-Langenbrunner

Pandolfo-Niedermayer-Zharkov

Peters-McAmmond-Leblond

Salvador-Greene

White-Mottau

Fraser-Salmela