• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Paul MacLean's Mustache

Kovalchuk traded to New Jersey

Rate this topic

That's a steal for New Jersey for sure. They get a legitimate cup run out of it, the chance to sign Kovalchuk long term, and if they can't sign him, they can trade off his rights and make back a good amount of what they traded to get him.

Has anyone considered what number he will take?

I'm just looking at the Devils' roster and Ben Walter has #17

He'll probably take #71.

Probably not...the Devils have some strange team rule that nobody can have a number exceeding 40 or something like that.

This is an absolute steal for the Devils. But as everyone has said, I'm not sure what he'll be thinking of the defensive atmosphere in Jersey, and he'll likely be a pure rental.

Deal was good for NJ but hey I doubt Kovalchuk will re-sign with them. I don't think he will enjoy to much the defensive system in NJ.

Kovalchuk is not the type of player that can coexist with Lou and Lemaire long term, his rights will be traded at the draft.

I tend to believe that Kovy wanted out of Atlanta. The management is mediocre and the ownership is not willing to make the commitment it takes to win. Money is nice, but sometimes winning can trump money. Kovy can still make a great deal of money and play for a good team.

I also think this is a rental situation. Kovy doesn't seem like a good fit for NJ. His defense is lacking (non-existent) and we all know what Jacques Lemaire loves.

I agree. I always got the vibe that he wanted to be on a more successful team. All season long you heard from both sides that no deal was met, but negotiation was still good. I felt that Kovy was dragging it on and really didn't care for accepting a huge deal in the first place and wanted to walk after the season was over, and perhaps management bit on that and got what they could for him.

Who knows if he'll stay with NJ, though.

while i think the devils are the clear winner in this trade(short term anyway) i think you guys are seriously underrating bergfors, guys a rookie and has 27 points while playing only minimal miutes a night. Also oduya is having a bad year but he's still a solid Dman with good potential.

while i think the devils are the clear winner in this trade(short term anyway) i think you guys are seriously underrating bergfors, guys a rookie and has 27 points while playing only minimal miutes a night. Also oduya is having a bad year but he's still a solid Dman with good potential.

I agree on Bergfors being underrated. He's put up very good rookie numbers for the situation he's in. But then again he was the centre-piece of this trade, not Oduya as some people seem to think. :P

Think Kovalchuk can learn defense in the time he has left in NJ?

I think that's the point of bringing him late, so he can't adjust. If he stays in NJ he has the potential of being the only devil to get over a ppg average.

Guest Lidstromboli
Probably not...the Devils have some strange team rule that nobody can have a number exceeding 40 or something like that.

yeah i think that's the general rule. Mogilny wore 89 though

Interesting thought on Kovalchuk's impact for the Devils:

But for the slightest moment, let's ignore the Devils newly attained dangerousness.

For the first. time. ever. I actually thought to myself, "I'm gonna hafta watch a bit more of the Devils." and as crazy as it sounds, I'll bet I'm not alone with this sentiment.

For the longest time, New Jersey has been home to the most boring product in the NHL. Personally, I always found it difficult to criticise because at the end of the day, it worked. But through all the years of sustained success, fans in Garden State never reached the excitement-levels you see in Washington or Pittsburgh right now.

Kovy won't change the defense-first style of Lamoriello's regime, but the fact is New Jersey has never seen a player of Kovalchuk's talent in its relatively short history. It could be said that Kovalchuk alone could put more fans in the seats this playoff season, than winning the Cup without him might have.

A new era could be dawning in NJ if Lou is able to work his magic and keep Ilya beyond 2009/10. The rare talent of a player like Kovalchuk, coupled with the enduring inherent success the team seems to eternally possess, could be the panacea for indifference the town has always shown for their hockey team.

For the longest time, New Jersey has been home to the most boring product in the NHL. Personally, I always found it difficult to criticise because at the end of the day, it worked. But through all the years of sustained success, fans in Garden State never reached the excitement-levels you see in Washington or Pittsburgh right now.

I thought that honor belonged to us? I mean, we seem to be the ones repeatedly accused of playing boring hockey (see Don Cherry 09). Dull hockey winning cups. I can see it at times with Detroit AND Jersey.

Edited by ShanahanMan

Guest Four

Wow they offered garbage to get him, we could have easily threw together a better package for some damn needed offense

I thought that honor belonged to us? I mean, we seem to be the ones repeatedly accused of playing boring hockey (see Don Cherry 09). Dull hockey winning cups. I can see it at times with Detroit AND Jersey.

Now now, Don Cherry's comments were discussing the lack of "blue collar" talent in Detroit, which is what brought a lot of fans to the Joe to begin with.

He actually seems to like the Red Wings from my understanding.

Am I the only one who thinks Atlanta got good return? Bergfors is young and good, Oduya is solid, Cormier will be ready next season plus 1st round draft pick somewhere in between 25 and 30... Atlanta should better dump this season and get their own pick in between 1-5 and they will have an excellent young core of Bogosian, Valabik, Enstrom, Kane, Little, Bergfors, Cormier plus some veteran presense in Antropov, Kubina, Peverley, White, Kozlov. They will be good very soon.