• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#21 softshoes

softshoes

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 474 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:10 PM

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

+1
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f***in beatin's. The world ends when you're dead. Until then you got more punishment in store.Stand it like a man, and give some back."

- Al Swearengen

#22 Hank Dats 'N Homer

Hank Dats 'N Homer

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:12 PM

Brendan Shanahan - I was really excited to get a player like him, but he never really worked out that well for the Wings.

ARE YOU HIGH? Or just being sarcastic? because this is a joke.

#23 Rivalred

Rivalred

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 7,263 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:14 PM

Shanny and Cujo were never lets downs/failures. Lang and or Luc, they struggled, but still put up points, not a fail.

The Krupp/Hatcher scenarios, oh yeah, no doubt.

Recently in the last 2 years? The whole Fabian Brunstrom in/out and Ville Leino "I am going back to Europe" if I do not get to play in the NHL and gets his way and "s***s the bed."

Ericsson if he does not turn his play around... So much damn potential in that one, but....
D-Fence Avatar Win-O-Meter 8-1

#24 The Secret

The Secret

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:18 PM

Theres a good one... Ranford was kinda a let down...

Doc, thanks for posting the stats of CuJo... I can't believe how ignorant some people are about CuJo just because we didn't win a cup... which if anyone should be bitter, it's CuJo... the team cost him a cup, because he did everything he could have...

I'm with you... I Loved Cujo and thought he stood on his head for us. It was not his fault the team couldn't score!

#25 stevieisthebest

stevieisthebest

The Captain

• PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:20 PM

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

Call me crazy.. but i think juuust maybe, maaaaaybbbe, and thats a stretch, that he's being sarcastic...

Edited by stevieisthebest, 19 March 2010 - 01:22 PM.

"15,395 Days since they won the cup...3 seconds left, THE DETROiT RED WINGS ARE THE STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!!!"

"Lemiuex was hammered by Darren McCarty, and he is being helped into the locker room."

Thanks Steve! #19
Thanks Nick! #5

#26 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,915 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'll second the Krupp transaction as the biggest disappointment. After two straight Cups, that was a big deal to add Krupp to our team.

I'll defend the Lang deal. He helped us make it to the Western Conference Final in 2007, giving Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall the playoff confidence they needed to win the Cup in 2008.

I'll defend Hatcher too. If it wasn't for the cap and the lockout, Hatch probably would have helped out in 2004-05 and 2005-06.

I never understood signing Whitney.

CuJo just had some bad luck. We couldn't score goals in the 2003 and 2004 Playoffs for him.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#27 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:27 PM

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Yeah Hossa was such a MASSIVE FAILURE :rolleyes:, that torn rotator cuff and shoulder injury that most other player's wouldnt even play with was SOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY HIS FAULT! For god sakes, did you even watch the playoffs, how can you blame a man who was still hustling like a fearfull slave? It was clear after the Pronger hit he wasen't able to play the same style, but he was still a damn effective player. I do not see one person giving Datsyuk flack for underperforming, he always gets the "injury" excuse. I'm just wondering why Hossa dosen't get one too... seeing as you know, he's the one with the actual required surgery.

Bolded part:Besides Datsyuk, Hossa was our best defensive 5v5 forward by far. His backchecking was a thing of dreams, even in the playoffs, and at times was clearly our hardest working forward. Do not blame our defensive troubles on him, the Wing's simply figured they could outscore them now that they had another bonafide star.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

You are one of the sole sane posters on this board. +1

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

:blush:

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Yeah Hossa was such a MASSIVE FAILURE :rolleyes:, that torn rotator cuff and shoulder injury that most other player's wouldnt even play with was SOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY HIS FAULT! For god sakes, did you even watch the playoffs, how can you blame a man who was still hustling like a fearfull slave? It was clear after the Pronger hit he wasen't able to play the same style, but he was still a damn effective player. I do not see one person giving Datsyuk flack for underperforming, he always gets the "injury" excuse. I'm just wondering why Hossa dosen't get one too... seeing as you know, he's the one with the actual required surgery.

Bolded part:Besides Datsyuk, Hossa was our best defensive 5v5 forward by far. His backchecking was a thing of dreams, even in the playoffs, and at times was clearly our hardest working forward. Do not blame our defensive troubles on him, the Wing's simply figured they could outscore them now that they had another bonafide star.

You are one of the sole sane posters on this board. +1

:blush:
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#28 Uncle Danny

Uncle Danny

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 678 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:28 PM

I'll second the noms for Hatcher and Whitney. Hatcher's situation is one he really can't be blamed for, but I was seriously excited when he was signed. Whitney I had high hopes for, but it was mostly an emotional hope rather than anything grounded in what he was actually capable of. I just liked him a ton as a player, and wanted to see him do well.

I know these don't technically count as transactions, but I was very disappointed with how both the Fischer and Konstantinov situations played out (through no fault of their own, obviously).

Wendel Clark is another that comes to mind.
If I should ever die, God forbid, let this be my epitaph:
THE ONLY PROOF HE NEEDED
FOR THE EXISTENCE OF GOD
WAS MUSIC
-- Kurt Vonnegut

#29 HockeyTownHouligan

HockeyTownHouligan

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 235 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:31 PM

2003 playoffs: 4 GP, 0 W, 2.08 GAA, .917 Sv%
2004 playoffs: 9 GP, 4 W, 1.39 GAA, .939 Sv%

Hossa was a player I was so excited for, and his play in the regular season was amazing. When it came to the playoffs, he was a real disappointment, and with him playing to his potential the Wings would be Stanley Cup champs.

OK!!!! you win I should have done some research first before I just blurted something out. I redo my comment with the playoff performance of Manny Legace in 05 06 he did horrible and he had no clutch saves.

#30 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:33 PM

Calm down, tiger.

Hossa scored 40 goals in the regular season, and injury or not, he did no perform up to par in the playoffs. Period. That is disappointing.

Datsyuk has gotten plenty of flak from posters (considering I have seen him labeled as a playoff no show) but this isn't about drafted players who have been on the team for a good amount of time. This is about transactions that we loved that unfortunately failed. Hossa not winning a cup and only scoring in 3 games all series is a failure, whether it was because of the injury or not.

Posted Image

#31 mmamolo

mmamolo

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,809 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:42 PM

Situations can be failures without blame being put on the player. You are absolutely right that Joseph should shoulder ZERO blame because he really did stand on his head. But at the end of the day things just didnt work out with him in Detroit. It really sucks because I was thrilled when Detroit got him and really wanted it to work out just to stick it to all the Leaf fans I live around (I live in Toronto). It's the same thing with Hatcher and Krupp (well, depending on who's fault you think his unjury is) but the point is that we were all pumped about these transactions and without blaming the player for the situation in one way or another the situation failed.

The Hatcher, Joseph, Robitaille, Whitney etc etc etc situations are far different than the Leino situation. A lot of ppl were pumped for Leino but he failed because he didnt work and he didnt have the desire to be on this team.
Posted Imagewww.unsportsmanlike.ca

#32 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 01:51 PM

My vote would be for re-signing Cleary this time around. I was super excited when we did, but man, he doing nothing for that price tag. Flame on, but I'm sticking to my guns.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#33 KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

KATIEBARTHEDOOR24

Love slave to the system

• PipPipPipPip
  • 759 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:11 PM

Wendel Clark. He was not a failure. He was simply at the end of his carear.
KOHARSKI, HAVE ANOTHER DONUT, YOU FAT PIG
"Statistics are for losers, unless they are good ones."- Mickey Redman
"Good... Bad... I'm the guy with the gun."- Ash
"Stay thirsty my friends."- The Most Interesting Man In The World

#34 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

Kory Kocur and Curtis Bowen.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#35 Shoreline

Shoreline

Panzerfaust

• HoF Booster
  • 12,817 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:01 PM

Loved the Cujo signing. Didn't like the drama.

Loved the Ulfie signing. Too bad he got hurt too much.

Loved the Hatcher signing, but his injury was a blessing as he was slower than f*** on the ice and was basically a pylon when he was healthy, not being the physical and defensive presence people were so excited for. Was like he was an entirely different player between his last season in Dallas and first in Detroit.

Robert Lang. I had watched him for years in Pittsburgh and I didn't notice his tendencies to be lazy on defense, but I did when he joined this team. I think people, myself included, had too high expectations of him, but he also demanded, at the time of his initial trade/signing, a good amount of dollar.

Ray Whitney, to echo the sentiments of other people. He was great with, was it Columbus? Then he turned into a non-factor here, then goes to Carolina and is a huge presence and actually looks much different. Like the Hatcher situation, coming here was probably not good for this team nor Whitney.

Edited by Shoreline, 19 March 2010 - 03:03 PM.

#36 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:14 PM

Definitely CuJo. He became my favorite goalie a few years before we got him. I think he single-handedly beat the Avs when he played for Edmonton in a first-round series. Of course, we all hated Colorado then. When we acquired him, I was totally stoked. But then he ended up playing in the minors and completely screwing up in the playoffs.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#37 Original-Six

Original-Six

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:16 PM

What about Yzerman. What a hack that guy was.
No but really i think the early 2000s teams after 02 were a big disappointment. Lots of talent but kept taking a big s*** early in the playoffs.

Edited by Original-Six, 19 March 2010 - 03:20 PM.

#38 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 19 March 2010 - 03:22 PM

* Bringing Hasek back the 2nd time.

*K.P. over Jagr or Broduer (add Jagr and we have at least one more cup, add Broduer we have at least 3 more)

*Oates for nothing

*Letting Quincy go (though at the time I could understand why) for nothing. It sucks he became a good player, but we could have at least gotten a draft pick (at the time I was mad about that).

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 19 March 2010 - 03:33 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#39 Starstopper31

Starstopper31

Prospect

• 41 posts

I would like to hear what else Curtis Joseph could have done to make the haters feel better. Score? Yeah I guess he didn't do that any better than the rest of the team did.

#40 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Hossa.

Before I get attacked, I mean "failed" in the sense that the team didn't win the cup for whatever reason. LGW went nuts over that seemingly impossible trade.