• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Wings Transactions You Loved Which Unfortunately Failed

Rate this topic

I'll second the Krupp transaction as the biggest disappointment. After two straight Cups, that was a big deal to add Krupp to our team.

I'll defend the Lang deal. He helped us make it to the Western Conference Final in 2007, giving Zetterberg, Datsyuk, and Kronwall the playoff confidence they needed to win the Cup in 2008.

I'll defend Hatcher too. If it wasn't for the cap and the lockout, Hatch probably would have helped out in 2004-05 and 2005-06.

I never understood signing Whitney.

CuJo just had some bad luck. We couldn't score goals in the 2003 and 2004 Playoffs for him.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Yeah Hossa was such a MASSIVE FAILURE :rolleyes:, that torn rotator cuff and shoulder injury that most other player's wouldnt even play with was SOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY HIS FAULT! For god sakes, did you even watch the playoffs, how can you blame a man who was still hustling like a fearfull slave? It was clear after the Pronger hit he wasen't able to play the same style, but he was still a damn effective player. I do not see one person giving Datsyuk flack for underperforming, he always gets the "injury" excuse. I'm just wondering why Hossa dosen't get one too... seeing as you know, he's the one with the actual required surgery.

Bolded part:Besides Datsyuk, Hossa was our best defensive 5v5 forward by far. His backchecking was a thing of dreams, even in the playoffs, and at times was clearly our hardest working forward. Do not blame our defensive troubles on him, the Wing's simply figured they could outscore them now that they had another bonafide star.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

You are one of the sole sane posters on this board. +1

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

:blush:

Hossa. Period.

The guy was great during the regular season, so powerful. But then the playoffs... yuck. Invisible most nights in the second season and you got the sense that while he played out of his mind with Pittsburgh the playoffs before this time around he thought the team would just win him a cup. He had his good games, granted, and its probably just because the wound is still fresh, but going from "OMG HOSSA!!! :yowza: " in July 2008 to "OMG... HOSSA? :nonono:" in June 2009 was definitely high to low.

Not that I would consider this a huge failure in the same sense as Cujo, Hatcher, or even Lang, but he really changed the culture of the team when he came from a Jennings winner to a defensive sieve.

Yeah Hossa was such a MASSIVE FAILURE :rolleyes:, that torn rotator cuff and shoulder injury that most other player's wouldnt even play with was SOOOOOOOOOO TOTALLY HIS FAULT! For god sakes, did you even watch the playoffs, how can you blame a man who was still hustling like a fearfull slave? It was clear after the Pronger hit he wasen't able to play the same style, but he was still a damn effective player. I do not see one person giving Datsyuk flack for underperforming, he always gets the "injury" excuse. I'm just wondering why Hossa dosen't get one too... seeing as you know, he's the one with the actual required surgery.

Bolded part:Besides Datsyuk, Hossa was our best defensive 5v5 forward by far. His backchecking was a thing of dreams, even in the playoffs, and at times was clearly our hardest working forward. Do not blame our defensive troubles on him, the Wing's simply figured they could outscore them now that they had another bonafide star.

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

You are one of the sole sane posters on this board. +1

633 pts in 9 years from 96-97 to 05-06 and 3 stanley cups...yup, he sure didn't help the wings at all. you are inf***ingsane!

:blush:

I'll second the noms for Hatcher and Whitney. Hatcher's situation is one he really can't be blamed for, but I was seriously excited when he was signed. Whitney I had high hopes for, but it was mostly an emotional hope rather than anything grounded in what he was actually capable of. I just liked him a ton as a player, and wanted to see him do well.

I know these don't technically count as transactions, but I was very disappointed with how both the Fischer and Konstantinov situations played out (through no fault of their own, obviously).

Wendel Clark is another that comes to mind.

2003 playoffs: 4 GP, 0 W, 2.08 GAA, .917 Sv%

2004 playoffs: 9 GP, 4 W, 1.39 GAA, .939 Sv%

Hossa was a player I was so excited for, and his play in the regular season was amazing. When it came to the playoffs, he was a real disappointment, and with him playing to his potential the Wings would be Stanley Cup champs.

OK!!!! you win I should have done some research first before I just blurted something out. I redo my comment with the playoff performance of Manny Legace in 05 06 he did horrible and he had no clutch saves.

Calm down, tiger.

Hossa scored 40 goals in the regular season, and injury or not, he did no perform up to par in the playoffs. Period. That is disappointing.

Datsyuk has gotten plenty of flak from posters (considering I have seen him labeled as a playoff no show) but this isn't about drafted players who have been on the team for a good amount of time. This is about transactions that we loved that unfortunately failed. Hossa not winning a cup and only scoring in 3 games all series is a failure, whether it was because of the injury or not.

Situations can be failures without blame being put on the player. You are absolutely right that Joseph should shoulder ZERO blame because he really did stand on his head. But at the end of the day things just didnt work out with him in Detroit. It really sucks because I was thrilled when Detroit got him and really wanted it to work out just to stick it to all the Leaf fans I live around (I live in Toronto). It's the same thing with Hatcher and Krupp (well, depending on who's fault you think his unjury is) but the point is that we were all pumped about these transactions and without blaming the player for the situation in one way or another the situation failed.

The Hatcher, Joseph, Robitaille, Whitney etc etc etc situations are far different than the Leino situation. A lot of ppl were pumped for Leino but he failed because he didnt work and he didnt have the desire to be on this team.

Guest Shoreline

Loved the Cujo signing. Didn't like the drama.

Loved the Ulfie signing. Too bad he got hurt too much.

Loved the Hatcher signing, but his injury was a blessing as he was slower than f*** on the ice and was basically a pylon when he was healthy, not being the physical and defensive presence people were so excited for. Was like he was an entirely different player between his last season in Dallas and first in Detroit.

Robert Lang. I had watched him for years in Pittsburgh and I didn't notice his tendencies to be lazy on defense, but I did when he joined this team. I think people, myself included, had too high expectations of him, but he also demanded, at the time of his initial trade/signing, a good amount of dollar.

Ray Whitney, to echo the sentiments of other people. He was great with, was it Columbus? Then he turned into a non-factor here, then goes to Carolina and is a huge presence and actually looks much different. Like the Hatcher situation, coming here was probably not good for this team nor Whitney.

Edited by Shoreline

Definitely CuJo. He became my favorite goalie a few years before we got him. I think he single-handedly beat the Avs when he played for Edmonton in a first-round series. Of course, we all hated Colorado then. When we acquired him, I was totally stoked. But then he ended up playing in the minors and completely screwing up in the playoffs.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

* Bringing Hasek back the 2nd time.

*K.P. over Jagr or Broduer (add Jagr and we have at least one more cup, add Broduer we have at least 3 more)

*Oates for nothing

*Letting Quincy go (though at the time I could understand why) for nothing. It sucks he became a good player, but we could have at least gotten a draft pick (at the time I was mad about that).

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hossa.

Before I get attacked, I mean "failed" in the sense that the team didn't win the cup for whatever reason. LGW went nuts over that seemingly impossible trade.

Not attacking you, but I firmly belive that if the 08-09 team was as health in the PO's as the 07-08 one was, and if Malkin was as hurt as we was earlier, we would have won easily. Datsyuk at 60% and Hossa at 70% was a huge blow, and we never had to deal with Malkin the year before.

getting rid of Avery, if he would have stayed a wing he could not only be a better player, but he would keep his edge on the ice the same but he would act more professionaly off the ice. I believe he could be a 20 goal scorer every season if he was still here, and he would add toughness and get into the other teams heads.

Guest Shoreline

getting rid of Avery, if he would have stayed a wing he could not only be a better player, but he would keep his edge on the ice the same but he would act more professionaly off the ice. I believe he could be a 20 goal scorer every season if he was still here, and he would add toughness and get into the other teams heads.

See the NFL's "Terrell Owens" rule about changing a person's habits. Not a chance.

Ray Whitney, to echo the sentiments of other people. He was great with, was it Columbus? Then he turned into a non-factor here, then goes to Carolina and is a huge presence and actually looks much different. Like the Hatcher situation, coming here was probably not good for this team nor Whitney.

I think it was an ice time thing with Ray. As I said earlier I never understood why we signed him. I was happy giving Draper, Zetterberg, and Datsyuk more ice time with Fedorov bolting to Anaheim.

* Bringing Hasek back the 2nd time.

*K.P. over Jagr or Broduer (add Jagr and we have at least one more cup, add Broduer we have at least 3 more)

*Oates for nothing

*Letting Quincy go (though at the time I could understand why) for nothing. It sucks he became a good player, but we could have at least gotten a draft pick (at the time I was mad about that).

I think you missed the spirit of the thread.

I was talking about transactions you liked which turned out as failures.

If the thread was just about transactions you hated from the beginning, every post would be half a page long.

Not to sway the thread but every time it comes up it is depressing to think we chose Primeau ahead of Jagr, Hatcher, Tkachuk, and Brodeur.

Ok back on topic....

Actually, just to go off the grid and go opposite of the topic (A transaction that I hated the Wings made and was thrilled that failed) was CORY CROSS

Not to sway the thread but every time it comes up it is depressing to think we chose Primeau ahead of Jagr, Hatcher, Tkachuk, and Brodeur.

Ok back on topic....

Actually, just to go off the grid and go opposite of the topic (A transaction that I hated the Wings made and was thrilled that failed) was CORY CROSS

You call this failure?

Edited by GMRwings1983

Kory Kocur and Curtis Bowen.

lol i just found a Kory Kocur hockey card the other day...weird

Not trying to derail the topic here, but was he the last known goalie to play in the NHL that was truly a "Stand-Up" style netminder?

I honestly can't think of anyone else that played that style in the past 10 to 15 years.

basically any goalie in the late 90s other than Roy. Somewhere around that time is when they all started to go to the butterfly.

No Primeau = no Shanahan.

Jagr would have been a slight upgrade over him but i can live with that but Brodeur....i could lose sleep over that.

Edited by Original-Six