• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
GMRwings1983

Wings Transactions You Loved Which Unfortunately Failed

Rate this topic

I was referring to his 2002 stint with the Wings.

I think he left for a few years before he came back in 2002. Even the 1998 signing wouldn't have been that much of a splash. Krupp is German for crap.

What really happened was..... Krupp signed a big deal in the summer of '98. It was either going to be him or Jyrki Lumme, and at the time Krupp was the better choice. They were still trying to fill the void left after the Konstantinov accident. Unfortunately, he got injured early in the '98/'99 season and ended up getting caught dog sledding while he was supposed to be hurt. The team suspended him after that, and pretty much replaced him when they acquired Chelios at the deadline that year. Krupp missed the following 2 seasons. However, Bowman always had a thing for Krupp since he drafted him for Buffalo back in the 80's and they reinstated him for the last year of his contract which was '01/'02. He played 8 games missing most of the year hurt (again), but this time he didn't dog sled and Bowman had him penned for the playoff line-up in the first round. He played in those first 2 games that we lost to Vancouver, and he was atrocious. He was either -4 or -5, I can't remember. He really s*** the bed, as he was on the ice for just about all of Vancouvers goals. He was scratched the rest of the playoffs and Olausson was put in his place, even when Fischer missed the Stanley Cup clinching game, they dressed Jiri Slegr over Krupp.

That would have to be one of my biggest failed transaction. I was excited to see Krupp come to Detroit after watching him play with Colorado. The fact that he was 6'6" was the coolest thing to me when I was 11 years old.

Another one was Wendell Clark. I thought he was going be an awesome fit in Detroit, but didn't really make a mark. Actually, all of the players we got during Hollands deadline explosion of '99 save for Chelios, didn't work out. Ranford ended up s***ting the bed hardcore against Colorado, and we barely got to see much from Samuelsson.

I never really liked CuJo in Detroit. After Hasek retired, I was really pulling for Ed Belfour. I thought he would've been a better fit for Detroit. He ended up replacing CuJo in Toronto and fared a lot better.

Another one was Manny Legace. I wasn't jumping for joy when we first got him, but when he finally became our starting goalie I was really pulling for him. It's too bad he had a horrible attitude.

Ville Leino is another one. He looked good during the regular season last year, albeit a little lost during the playoffs. But what an utter disapointment he was this season.

I'm going to catch s*** for this one... but Brad Norton. I thought it was interesting when he made the team out of camp after Detroit had been beat up so bad the year before, and then he gets hurt while fighting 6 games in and was replaced by Filppula. Once again making the team a bunch of wimps.

Igor Grigorenko coming over seemed exciting at the time, but he ended up looking awful. Holland even said he'd give him a qualifier so he could come to camp the next year, but he ended up blowing it in Russia too and they just let him go. It was a shame, when he was drafted he had Datsyuk potential. Unfortunately, the accident he had crippled that.

Edited by DSM

No Primeau = no Shanahan.

Jagr would have been a slight upgrade over him but i can live with that but Brodeur....i could lose sleep over that.

We never would have been able to hold onto Jagr on a team with the firepower and leadership we had. I know there is a lot of love for him on these boards, but let's face it... if Fedorov was a lockerroom distraction, I can't imagine what Jagr would've done for chemistry -- my guess is be traded away. I'm glad we picked Primeau over him, in retrospect.

Hatcher and Tkachuk...eh, I think we made the right choice once it played out. All three were solid performers in their time. I might give the edge to any one of these three in a given year of their primes.

The Brodeur thing, though. Man. Can you imagine how different our team would have looked with someone like Marty backing? It's hard to say that things would have worked out "better," but they certainly would have looked a lot different with one of the best ever in net. That's like some bizarro world type stuff right there. Chances are, we would have won our cups with him, but never would the lineups and systems we've lauded for the past 15 years been a responsible strategy with him as our last line of defense. Would we have adopted a puck possession game? Would the Russian Five have ever been? Would we have had to have traded someone like Nick at the advent of the salary cap? The mind boggles.

I gotta go with Robitaille also. He used us to get a cup, okay I get it. Maybe we used him to get a cup as well. But he never really was a Red Wing, never embraced it like Hull seemed to. He just never fit in and then *poof* was back to Hollywood.

Definitely CuJo. He became my favorite goalie a few years before we got him. I think he single-handedly beat the Avs when he played for Edmonton in a first-round series. Of course, we all hated Colorado then. When we acquired him, I was totally stoked. But then he ended up playing in the minors and completely screwing up in the playoffs.

once a-freaking-gain

stevkrause, on 19 March 2010 - 01:50 PM, said:

Are you freaking kidding me?!?! The CuJo situation was the only black mark on the otherwise incredible player relations of the brass of the last 20 years... he played stellar when he was here and got a raw deal and was a scapegoat for an offense that couldn't put the puck in the net... in his 2 playoff rounds with the Wings, he had under a 2 gaa and about a .925 save %... look at the stats... people that blame him, or don't recognize that the team failed him and not the other way around are complete idiots...

Igor Grigorenko coming over seemed exciting at the time, but he ended up looking awful. Holland even said he'd give him a qualifier so he could come to camp the next year, but he ended up blowing it in Russia too and they just let him go. It was a shame, when he was drafted he had Datsyuk potential. Unfortunately, the accident he had crippled that.

You are mistaken.

Igor Grigorenko, when he was drafted, was the Ovechkin of that time. He was a rocket skater who delivered bone-crunching hits, he was a skilled playmaker and a had a ridiculously powerful and accurate shot. Everything that was said about Ovechkin going into his draft year was said about Grigs; except Grigs was not considered a defensive liability.

The accident he had completely shattered his leg and ruined his career, and the fat embolism he developed in his left lung is a condition from which 90% of patients die.

He went from being an agile skater with blazing speed to a mediocre skater at best. Even after the amazing affort he put into getting back on the ice; which it is truly amazing that he ever even made it back onto the ice; his skating ability was so damaged that his ability to perform overall was greatly diminished. He was still capable of performing at the pro level, but his attitude had greatly changed after seeing this. He was no longer the passionate player he once was; rather he had become complacent as he knew his chances of playing regularly, if at all, for Detroit were very unlikely. So he returned to Russia after playing a few games for Grand Rapids. In the recently completed KHL season, Grigorenko posted scoring numbers that would put him as quite capable of playing in the NHL if his skating is up to par; he scored at a very similar pace to Jaromir Jagr, and better than notable top-six NHL players such as Richard Zednik, Sergei Fedorov, Ville Peltonen, Alex Korolyuk, Viktor Kozlov, and more. That would suggest that Grigorenko certainly still has the ability to perform in the NHL given the right conditions, which would mainly be his skating.

Guest Crymson

My vote would be for re-signing Cleary this time around. I was super excited when we did, but man, he doing nothing for that price tag. Flame on, but I'm sticking to my guns.

He had another 40 point season last year and did wonderfully in the playoffs. How were you unhappy about that?

getting rid of Avery, if he would have stayed a wing he could not only be a better player, but he would keep his edge on the ice the same but he would act more professionaly off the ice. I believe he could be a 20 goal scorer every season if he was still here, and he would add toughness and get into the other teams heads.

That's a fairly arbitrary statement. Holland got rid of Avery because he felt Avery did not have respect for the game, and Dallas got rid of him in part because the rest of the team really didn't want him back. He has chronically misbehaved both on and off the ice; he has clashed with the league, the media, his coaches and his peers. He's a hack, and I really don't understand your logic here.

LOL - many posters here are probably too young to remember these guys...Neither had a snowballs chance in :devil: of making the Red Wings.

yeah i know but the fact some fans forget is these were both 1st rounders, with high hopes from our scouting ranks. If you think what might have been, consider Kocur, 17th overall in '88 and the Wings 2nd pick Serge Anglehart 38th overall, 3rd pick 47th Guy Dupuis and 4th pick 59th Petr Hrbek none of them played a game in the NHL, 2 forwards and two D. Hindsight is a great thing but look who our guys passed over for these that year.

67th overall Pitts F Mark Recchi

68th overall NYR F Tony Amonte

70th overall LA D Rob Blake

76th overall Buff D Keith Carney now that would have been better all of these played over 1000 games in the show. But for me the biggest sickner was overlooking 2 forwards who went 89th and 129th messr's Mogilny and Kamensky!!

Now our scouting system hasn't always been as good as it is at present.

Hatcher and Hossa both times a friend texted me we had signed them and i was like "Hell yes!"

Id like to add that at certain times during the playoffs even though he wasnt scoring Hossa was one of the most noticable Wings it was just the combination of him and Dats mostly not scoring and the injuries

He had another 40 point season last year and did wonderfully in the playoffs. How were you unhappy about that?

I dunno. It's hard to explain. I'm not pointing this at you, just a general statement: Filppula had a 40 point season last year right? He signed a 5yr 3mil cap hit and he gets criticized for being overpaid, has one of the highest PPG ratio on the team and everything. Cleary signed for ~3mil cap hit and he seems to get a pass and he also puts up 40 points and plays a defensive game that is slightly less than what Filppula provides. Filppula has roughly the same points this season with 10 less games played to boot.

I like Cleary and his work ethic, but I just haven't really every been as excited about the re-signing now as I was back in the day. So that, in my twisted eyes, is the reason why it was a "failure" to me.

I can't believe nobody has mention, but when the Wings acquired Jimmy Carson from the Oilers, everyone and their brothers were excited getting a guy who scored 55 and 49 goals the season's prior. The Wings should've drafted him instead of Joe Murphy first overall in 1986, but seemed to make amends by getting him in 1990. Of course, he was used to get Paul Coffey here later on, which worked out pretty well, until Bowman came to town. Of course, in a round about way we drafted Joe Murphy 1st overall and wound up with Brendan Shanahan in the end. I'll take that! But ya, Carson was a HUGE disappointment.

A couple others have to be Vincent Riendeau and Troy Crowder. Huge hype coming into their first games and OUCH! Injury... Vincent "I took A Dive" Riendeau only played 2 games and Troy Crowder only played 7 (had 35 PIM's in those 7 though!)

edit: What made the Crowder signing worse was he was a type 2 FA at the time and Wings had to give them compensation, the Devils wanted Probert, but and arbitrator awarded them Dave BArr and Randy McKay. In hindsight, I would have rather kept Randy McKay...

Edited by LeftWinger