Re-alignment

• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#81 Samm-E

Samm-E

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 01:20 PM

Regarding the final four, I meant to say instead of having two Conference champions compete for Lord Stanley, you'd have four Conference champions play one another, dwindling to a top two matchup for the championship.

Hypothetical:

After 82 regular season games, the top four teams from each conference make the playoffs and duel each other (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3)

Sun Belt Conference
Tampa (106 points) 1 seed
Carolina (93) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Appalachian Conference
Montreal (103 points) 1 seed
Boston (98) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Great Lakes Conference
Chicago (105 points) 1 seed
Pittsburg (102) 2 seed
Buffalo (101) 3 seed
Detroit (100) 4 seed

Rockies Conference
San Jose (102 points) 1 seed
Vancouver (101) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Tampa makes it out of the Sun Belt Conference
Boston makes it out of the Appalachian Conference
Detroit makes it out of the Great Lakes conference
Vancouver makes it out of the Rockies Conference

The final four would be:
Tampa (1 seed - based on most points in the regular season - 106) vs. Boston (4 seed - 98 points) (Home Court Tampa)
Vancouver (2 seed - 101 points) vs. Detroit (3 seed - 100 points) (Home Court Vancouver)

Seeding realigns based on points in the final four. Initially Detroit was a 4 seed in a stacked conference, but 3 seed in the final four. Same for Boston, who was a 2 seed in their conference playoffs, but a four seed in the final four.

Winner of Tampa vs. Boston will face off against the winner of Vancouver vs. Detroit (again, home court going to the better seed)

Edited by Samm-E, 03 June 2011 - 10:36 PM.

#82 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 03:41 PM

Regarding the final four, I meant to say instead of having two Conference champions compete for Lord Stanley, you'd have four Conference champions play one another, dwindling to a top two matchup for the championship.

Hypothetical:

After 82 regular season games, the top four teams from each conference make the playoffs and duel each other (1 vs. 4 and 2 vs. 3)

Rust Belt Conference
Tampa (106 points) 1 seed
Carolina (93) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Appalachian Conference
Montreal (103 points) 1 seed
Boston (98) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Great Lakes Conference
Chicago (105 points) 1 seed
Pittsburg (102) 2 seed
Buffalo (101) 3 seed
Detroit (100) 4 seed

Rockies Conference
San Jose (102 points) 1 seed
Vancouver (101) 2 seed
etc.
etc.

Tampa makes it out of the Rust Belt Conference
Boston makes it out of the Appalachian Conference
Detroit makes it out of the Great Lakes conference
Vancouver makes it out of the Rockies Conference

The final four would be:
Tampa (1 seed - based on most points in the regular season - 106) vs. Boston (4 seed - 98 points) (Home Court Tampa)
Vancouver (2 seed - 101 points) vs. Detroit (3 seed - 100 points) (Home Court Vancouver)

Seeding realigns based on points in the final four. Initially Detroit was a 4 seed in a stacked conference, but 3 seed in the final four. Same for Boston, who was a 2 seed in their conference playoffs, but a four seed in the final four.

Winner of Tampa vs. Boston will face off against the winner of Vancouver vs. Detroit (again, home court going to the better seed)

.... Where exactly do you think the 'Rust Belt' is?
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#83 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 05:42 PM

Anyone else think the league is holding off on realignment until 2012 is because of possible expansion? I am not trying to spark a debate about the pros and cons of expansion, but it has been brought up in discussions at work and the theory that it is due to the schedule already being close to finalized is pretty weak IMO, they could hash out a new schedule in a week or two if it came down to that, I think there is something bigger in play.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#84 MaynardJKeenan

MaynardJKeenan

I'll..keep...digging...till I.. feel..something

• Gold Booster
  • 1,152 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

I think the wings are a sure bet to be moved east in 2012.

#85 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 09:37 PM

Anyone else think the league is holding off on realignment until 2012 is because of possible expansion? I am not trying to spark a debate about the pros and cons of expansion, but it has been brought up in discussions at work and the theory that it is due to the schedule already being close to finalized is pretty weak IMO, they could hash out a new schedule in a week or two if it came down to that, I think there is something bigger in play.

Expansion? Not likely, though I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

One or more other teams relocating? Yes.

#86 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:10 PM

Expansion? Not likely, though I guess I wouldn't be shocked.

One or more other teams relocating? Yes.

That's a good point too, maybe the league is already aware of another struggling franchise that is unable to find a local buyer and are trying to do a better job of keeping it under wraps.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#87 Samm-E

Samm-E

Draftee

• 10 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:35 PM

.... Where exactly do you think the 'Rust Belt' is?

Oops, I meant Sun Belt. My bad.

#88 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,520 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 11:00 PM

I see another relocation happening in 2012, but not expansion. They'd have to be pretty stupid to want to expand when so many teams are already struggling. Although, among the narrow minds in business, expansion is always good. If you're not expanding you're losing, right?
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#89 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,631 posts

Posted 06 June 2011 - 12:39 PM

Call me crazy, but I'm one of the few who do not want Detroit to move to the East.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman