• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:51 PM

With Jimmy Howard being the starter in the playoffs, that got me thinking about how many different netminders we've started in the playoffs since the mid 90's.

Osgood, Vernon, Hasek, Cujo, Legace and now Howard. You can even count Ozzie and Hasek twice, because they've had several different stints with the team.

I don't think there's ever been a dynasty in the NHL that had so many different starting goalies during their run.

I think it's a testament to our defense and the system that we can keep rotating goalies like this every couple of years in the playoffs.

Let's just hope that with Howard we've found someone who can stay here for about 10 years or so.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#2 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 06:53 PM

If Howard plays like he did today throughout the playoffs. I am not worried at all.

#3 TheOwl

TheOwl

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:03 PM

Let Osgood start and play him until he loses a game, then get rid of him next season.

#4 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,575 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:11 PM

Let Osgood start and play him until he loses a game, then get rid of him next season.

:huh:

#5 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:23 PM

This thread is not about which goalie should start.

You should have read a little better before you posted.

#6 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,142 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:25 PM

The only thing Osgood will be starting is possibly warm-ups. Howard has earned his playing time. The first few games are going to be a critical period for him to make or break his confidence. I have no doubt Ozzie will be ready if we need to call on him.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#7 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:26 PM

This thread is not about which goalie should start.

You should have read a little better before you posted.

Implying that the said user can actually read.

:unsure:

It's defintely a testament to the philosphy that it's better to spend money on more more predictable positions that benefit all aspects of the game rather than a position that even the best goalies can lose games for you.

#8 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

It's defintely a testament to the philosphy that it's better to spend money on more more predictable positions that benefit all aspects of the game rather than a position that even the best goalies can lose games for you.

Well, in all honesty, Howard is the first young goalie we've had since Osgood back in the 90's.

Since then, we've been chasing after goalies in free agency. Some succeeded and some didn't, but the one constant has been that no one has stuck around here for long.

#9 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,113 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:33 PM

Well, in all honesty, Howard is the first young goalie we've had since Osgood back in the 90's.

Since then, we've been chasing after goalies in free agency. Some succeeded and some didn't, but the one constant has been that no one has stuck around here for long.

I guess that's true, but since the cap we haven't given a free agent goaltender big money long term contract.

#10 Dimaline312000

Dimaline312000

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,182 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 07:59 PM

I'm not afraid to say that I was a Howard supporter from the start. I'm a huge Ozzie fand but I had confidence in Jimmy to be an NHL Goalie with the Detroit Red Wings. He's a great goalie and has really proven himself in my book. I can't wait to see how he plays in the the playoffs. How he does will determine alot as to how far the Wings go in this year's playoffs. I hope it's a very deep and very long run into the playoffs this season. Let's Go Red Wings!!

#11 Zata fan 40

Zata fan 40

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 08:00 PM

A testament to Saint Nick maybe. :thumbup:
c:\documentsandsettings\amy\mydocuments\homefortheholidays

#12 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:27 PM

A testament to Saint Nick maybe. :thumbup:

Maybe him more than anyone, but it's still a testament to the system in my opinion.

Like I said, I can't think of any other dynasty that used so many goalies during their winning years.

#13 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:38 PM

Personally I have a feeling about Jimmy that he is going to rock the Casbah in the playoffs.

He has been money all season and he has one of the best playoff goaltenders helping him out every step of the way.

Hell yes.

Posted Image

#14 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 09:44 PM

With Jimmy Howard being the starter in the playoffs, that got me thinking about how many different netminders we've started in the playoffs since the mid 90's.

Osgood, Vernon, Hasek, Cujo, Legace and now Howard. You can even count Ozzie and Hasek twice, because they've had several different stints with the team.

I don't think there's ever been a dynasty in the NHL that had so many different starting goalies during their run.

I think it's a testament to our defense and the system that we can keep rotating goalies like this every couple of years in the playoffs.

Let's just hope that with Howard we've found someone who can stay here for about 10 years or so.

I think it's also a testament to the consistency of this franchise. Over 20 years of playoff runs you're bound to have many different starters (obviously New Jersey is a special exception :P ).
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#15 Joe_Louis

Joe_Louis

Jr. Prospect

• 17 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:34 PM

What's to stop the Wings from signing Chelios as a backup goalie? Would this be a) allowed or b) a good move?

#16 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,643 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 10:45 PM

What's to stop the Wings from signing Chelios as a backup goalie? Would this be a) allowed or b) a good move?

:blink:

SirDrake?

#17 Barrie

Barrie

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,910 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:15 PM

Agreed.

Looking at this year's playoffs, our experience can make up for any early nervous play by Howard. Jimmy won't be expected to carry the team, unlike some of the best goalies in the league.
Lets Go:
Red Wings
Tigers
Roughriders
Lions
Spartans
Pistons

#18 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:17 PM

:blink:

SirDrake?

I kind of miss him. We need more insane posters to spice this forum up.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#19 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

Carman and Mindfly don't do it for ya?

#20 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,024 posts

Posted 11 April 2010 - 11:29 PM

sirdrake was a legend on this forum. I friggin miss that guys threads hahah.

As far as the goalies, it truely is a testament to how solid a franchise we have. As long as our goalie is good enough, we can win. When he's great (Hasek 02, Osgood 08) it's great, but as long as they make the needed saves (Ozzie 98) we're fine. It's when they cant make the saves (Legace 06) or when the team cant score more then a goal a game yet the goalie has a heck of a series (Cujo 03,04) is when we have the problems. I really think Howard can be good enough that we can do it again this year.

#NOMOREKINDL