• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:53 PM

Ok, this is one of my favorite parts of the playoffs... trying to figure out which team is going to get bounced from the playoffs. So A simple question: Who will upset who, and why?

My pick:

Nashville.

Why? Because Nashville has a great defense, a top tier goaltender, and I see these being low scoring affairs, if Rinne can steal 2 games, Nashville will win. Chicago's defense outside their first pairing is still suspect, Nemi, while a decent goaltender has never really had to steal any games for chicago this year, and we all know a goalie has to elevate their game for the playoffs. Besides, how many times can one team be bounced in round one?

Edited by Shaman464, 13 April 2010 - 05:29 PM.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#2 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 04:59 PM

In my bracket I have Detroit, LA, and Philly as upsets, and I was strongly considering Boston over Buffalo. I can't really defend any of my picks though... I just have good feelings about them.

#3 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:05 PM

Boston will take Buffalo

Why: Because Rask is great and they play a great team defense, they won't allow many goals.

#4 sixer

sixer

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,338 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:19 PM

Boston will take Buffalo

Why: Because Rask is great and they play a great team defense, they won't allow many goals.

Ya, but Miller is better and I personally think Buffalo has a better offense and home ice advantage. That said, this thread isn't to criticize, but I feel Philly and LA are more probable upsets. Philly has owned NJ all year and for LA, great all around team that's facing a Canuck team expected to deliver and Luongo has not been good at all since winning Gold for Team Canada.

#5 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:24 PM

LA or Boston.

Buffalo is kinda of banged up. But i still think Buffalo squeaks by in 6-7 games cause Boston can't score worth s***.

I'll go with LA here. If they can steal 1 of 2 in Vancouver i think they win the series.

Posted Image

#6 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,270 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:26 PM

I agree completely about Nashville.

Other potential upsets I see are with LA and Colorado. We all know that San Jose is vulnerable in the playoffs, and towards the end of the season I didn't see any major push or spark. They have yet to prove that they want it badly enough. Colorado, when playing their best, can score timely goals and control the pace of games.

Vancouver can be shaky at times and I think LA matches up decently against them. Quick would have to be huge, and their best players would really have to score a lot of goals, but I think its possible.

If I had to choose one, I'd have to agree with the OP, Nashville has what it takes to beat Chicago. In the past few weeks, the excitement in Chicago wore off a little due to them slumping for a while, the hilarious Teows mural, and losing to the Wings. They have some people injured/questionable, and their goaltending has been worse recently than any other time in the season.
Posted Image

#7 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:28 PM

No one believes that Nashville can upset Hawks unless they are wings fan and witnessed the battles they had with nashville all year..but hawks have owned preds as far as i know and don't seem to have as big of a problem with them as the wings have...

#8 Esquire

Esquire

Fix up, Look sharp.

• HoF Booster
  • 1,268 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:34 PM

No one believes that Nashville can upset Hawks unless they are wings fan and witnessed the battles they had with nashville all year..but hawks have owned preds as far as i know and don't seem to have as big of a problem with them as the wings have...

Doug Maclean from Hockey Central at Noon on the Fan 590 here in Toronto picked the Preds to upset the Hawks in 7. Next please.

edit: spelling

Edited by BleedRed&White, 13 April 2010 - 05:37 PM.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#9 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,016 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

I'm picking LA over Canucks in 7.

Because I think Luongo has a tendency to be spotty in big games. Just look at the gold medal game, and all the bad rebounds he allowed.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#10 anthonyn66

anthonyn66

Wings fan in Leaf Nation

• PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 05:38 PM

Yeah I'm taking the Preds too.

Detroit wouldn't even be considered an upset.
Habs suck.
Ottawa is good but not good enough to beat Pittsburgh.
Boston and Buffalo may be close but Buffalo has the edge. One may argue Rask is amazing but Miller is better IMO.
Philly and New Jersey will be close too, but New Jersey has the edge in goal.
San Jose will choke eventually, but it'll be against a playoff performer like Detroit, or a good team like the Preds. Colorado isn't good enough in the playoffs, and they weren't even good enough in the regular season... they just had a fantastic start.
LA-Vancouver will be a close one, its too tough to call.

Preds have better goaltending, better defense, but their offense doesn't compare. However, I think they can do it.

#11 SDavis35

SDavis35

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:00 PM

I'm picking LA over Canucks in 7.

Because I think Luongo has a tendency to be spotty in big games. Just look at the gold medal game, and all the bad rebounds he allowed.

This. Same reasons, I watched the whole Olympics and never felt like Luongo would be stealing a game anywhere, and imo he never really did.

#12 Wings4Life19

Wings4Life19

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:24 PM

Montreal over Washington. ya, Im daring enough to do it

#13 brett

brett

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,104 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

philly beat jersey 5 times out of 6 regular season...

boston could possibly beat buffalo but i think buffalo has better offense.

nashville possibly if they can score.

#14 Swayze

Swayze

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

I don't necessarily believe it will happen, but i'm picking:

Colorado over San Jose.

Why?
3 reasons: 1 - Joe Thornton is a playoff no-show. Granted Dany Heatley might help turn that around, he still may be. 2 - is Nabokov. He did horrible in the Olympics, and he's looked tired and worn-out nearly all season. If he doesn't play VERY well, they won't have a chance against 3 - Colorado's youth. Yeah yeah, experience is everything in the playoffs, but San Jose hasn't been past the 2nd round in forever and I think the kiddies of Colorado could surprise em. I don't think the Sharks will make an underestimation like they did last year, but I still think that the youth could prevail in this one.

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,961 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:32 PM

Phoenix will beat Detr.... :ph34r:

As the poster said above, though, Philly has beaten Jersey 5 out of 6 times this season.

Also, Brodeur has been subpar in the playoffs since the lockout. I don't think they've even made the Conference Finals since their last Cup.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#16 Jericho613

Jericho613

Give Nothing, Take Everything

• PipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:35 PM

Ok, this is one of my favorite parts of the playoffs... trying to figure out which team is going to get bounced from the playoffs. So A simple question: Who will upset who, and why?

My pick:

Nashville.

Why? Because Nashville has a great defense, a top tier goaltender, and I see these being low scoring affairs, if Rinne can steal 2 games, Nashville will win. Chicago's defense outside their first pairing is still suspect, Nemi, while a decent goaltender has never really had to steal any games for chicago this year, and we all know a goalie has to elevate their game for the playoffs. Besides, how many times can one team be bounced in round one?

I totally agree, Nashville is a scary team and they are due for a playoff series win.

#17 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,175 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:40 PM

by the way this is a good idea for a thread

#18 cupforwings

cupforwings

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 06:48 PM

I have the Kings beating the Canucks in 6... Luongo has been shaky lately, including the olympics... Also, their D is pretty thin now, most notably with the absence of Mitchell... That just ads to my gut feeling that they will be taken down Kopitar, Daughty, and Quick.

#19 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,960 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:08 PM

I'm calling an upset - Colorado over San Jose in 7

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#20 Third Man In

Third Man In

Ready to rage.

• HoF Booster
  • 4,820 posts

Posted 13 April 2010 - 07:10 PM

We all know San Jose's history, but no way are they bowing out to a team like the Avs in the first round. Kings could beat the Canucks if Luongo struggles at all and the Kings' defence can contain the Sedins, Kessler, and Burrows.

But I'm picking Flyers over the Devils for reasons that GMR stated, and I don't think it will even be close. Devils will have flashbacks to the 2008 series against the Rags.

"When you're a Detroit Red Wing, you don't want to go anywhere." -Kris Draper
Duty Calls