• Please log in to reply
49 replies to this topic

#41 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 08:50 PM

You must have been watching a different Steve Moore...

and Bert didn't want him to go... Crawford did. What is Bert supposed to do? Ignore his coach? Is there a rule about how many times a player will need to drop his gloves in order to defend himself? If the crime is severe enough, it could bleed into future games, let alone future periods. Moore knew what he was doing and he knew he had Naslund prone. Didn't slow him down, did it? Do something like that and face the consequences, even if it happens to be multiple fights. No sense in skating around the rink like a weasel, avoiding confrontation. Man up and take your medicine.

In my opinion, the league was better off without Moore. Moore's career ending probably saved a few careers in the long run.

To be clear, I'm not a Steve Moore fan. But it sounds like you're letting your opinion of Moore influence what actually happened on the Naslund hit. It happened very fast and Naslund was reaching for the puck. He had one knee on the ice when Moore hit him. That's different than Matt Cooke cutting across the ice and clipping a guy in the head as he's standing straight up.

Link to the proof where Crawford told Bert what to do? Because basically they have he-said/she-said lawsuits about it. Crawford claims Bert disobeyed his order to get off the ice before he punched Moore.

People were acting like Moore hadn't fought. He had already answered the bell that game. So he's a coward for not fighting again, just because the Nucks didn't like the outcome? He took his medicine already.

Kronwall has thrown a few questionable hits in his career. I doubt people would feel the same if the opposing team just kept lining him up for beatdowns.

It was a borderline hit at NHL speeds. Who knows what Moore's career would've been, because Bert chased him down and broke his neck. You may think Moore would've ended playing careers, but he never did. Bertuzzi, however, has.

#42 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

To be clear, I'm not a Steve Moore fan. But it sounds like you're letting your opinion of Moore influence what actually happened on the Naslund hit. It happened very fast and Naslund was reaching for the puck. He had one knee on the ice when Moore hit him. That's different than Matt Cooke cutting across the ice and clipping a guy in the head as he's standing straight up.

Link to the proof where Crawford told Bert what to do? Because basically they have he-said/she-said lawsuits about it. Crawford claims Bert disobeyed his order to get off the ice before he punched Moore.

People were acting like Moore hadn't fought. He had already answered the bell that game. So he's a coward for not fighting again, just because the Nucks didn't like the outcome? He took his medicine already.

Kronwall has thrown a few questionable hits in his career. I doubt people would feel the same if the opposing team just kept lining him up for beatdowns.

It was a borderline hit at NHL speeds. Who knows what Moore's career would've been, because Bert chased him down and broke his neck. You may think Moore would've ended playing careers, but he never did. Bertuzzi, however, has.

To be honest, I don't think our opinions on the subject are much different. I just allow myself to get exasperated with the topic after the umptienth time.

#43 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 12:00 AM

A punch to the head isn't too far. It was just unfortunate that his own players piled on him and the weight broke his neck. We all scream for Cooke's career to be ended and this guy was no better so who cares really?

It wasn't "a punch to the head" it was "a punch to the back of the head of an unsuspecting person, followed by grabbing the head of the now unconscious person and driving their head into the ice."

The pile-on may have increased the severity of injury, but the initial assault was the primary cause of all head and neck injuries Moore suffered.

I still don't like the fact that he ever joined the Wings, or is one now, but it is what it is. I honestly think he is lucky to even be playing in the NHL after that incident; it's probably the single dirtiest act that has happened in my lifetime in the NHL.

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#44 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

Sorry harold, fighting Mattf****** Cooke is not "taking your medicine". Moore knew Bert was who he was going to have to answer to and he pussed out. Plain and simple.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#45 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,113 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:11 AM

It wasn't "a punch to the head" it was "a punch to the back of the head of an unsuspecting person, followed by grabbing the head of the now unconscious person and driving their head into the ice."

The pile-on may have increased the severity of injury, but the initial assault was the primary cause of all head and neck injuries Moore suffered.

I still don't like the fact that he ever joined the Wings, or is one now, but it is what it is. I honestly think he is lucky to even be playing in the NHL after that incident; it's probably the single dirtiest act that has happened in my lifetime in the NHL.

It was a punch to the side of the head of a coward who you tried to fight 5 times, had been chirping and playing dirty all game and tried taking your captain and linemates head off 3 days ago. He didn't drive his head into the ice, he fell on top of him and then all Moore's teammates followed suit and broke his neck.

I think its funny, people hate Bert for doing it but everyone o here just about calls for Cooke's career to be ended.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#46 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,804 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 11:27 AM

This is the most sensible, objective, and succinct observation on the entire incident. The only thing I can add is to emphasize Moore's neck broke as Bertuzzi shoved him into the ice forehead first, very similar in how people break there necks diving into a shallow lake. The pile-on was more in his back region, not neck, and after he was already out cold.

I will add that I am a Bertuzzi fan. As a matter of fact, it occured to me that he may be a good fit for the Wings right before they actually picked him up the first time.

#47 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,556 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:02 PM

Sorry harold, fighting Mattf****** Cooke is not "taking your medicine". Moore knew Bert was who he was going to have to answer to and he pussed out. Plain and simple.

esteef

If Matt Cooke wasn't good enough, then maybe they should've sent Bert to fight him earlier in the game instead of chasing him down late with the game out of reach. It's not Moore's fault he didn't get his ass kicked to the Canucks liking.

Moore fought already. It's on Bert and the Canucks for not making it count. Well, until Bert broke his neck with a suckerpunch.

Bertuzzi coldcocks a guy from behind, yet the guy getting suckerpunched is somehow the *****? Sorry. That doesn't really add up for me.

But this is so far beyond a dead horse.

#48 scottj

scottj

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 644 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 03:43 PM

Bertuzzi coldcocks a guy from behind, yet the guy getting suckerpunched is somehow the *****? Sorry. That doesn't really add up for me.

not that it wasn't a ***** thing to do but 1. of course if you just bring up the fact that somebody suckerpunched someone else, the sucker-puncher is gonna sound like a *****. 2. sometimes people hit other people n then run away... if somebody punches your friend in the face, runs away, and then you chase after them and clock them in the back of the head, does that make you a *****?

one thing that reminded me of this type of s*** is when that one guy on san jose nudged ericsson's face once and he was fine with it... did it a second time n then ericsson punched him in the face with his gloves on (n then got a penalty for it). of course if you just say that ericsson punched some guy with his gloves on, people are gonna think he's a *****. but you can't just omit the circumstances leading up to it

#49 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 05:53 PM

If Matt Cooke wasn't good enough, then maybe they should've sent Bert to fight him earlier in the game instead of chasing him down late with the game out of reach. It's not Moore's fault he didn't get his ass kicked to the Canucks liking.

Moore fought already. It's on Bert and the Canucks for not making it count. Well, until Bert broke his neck with a suckerpunch.

But this is so far beyond a dead horse.

I see what you're getting at but again, ragdolling Matt Cooke doesn't settle the f***in' score. Bert ain't even a good fighter so it ain't like it was Boogaard chasing him down. And yes, ******* who duck fights get sucker punched all the time.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#50 dicksmack

dicksmack

Tunnel bus to the Joe!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,585 posts

Posted 01 May 2010 - 06:03 PM

Only fans of the team Bert is playing for subscribe to the "Moore's injuries happened on the pile-up" non-sense. The ancient wisdom on this is that it was the punch and especially the driving of his face into the ice that did the damage. The Canucks got spanked by the Avs on their home ice and Bert acted out in the heat of the moment. It's not excusable, however, but if Moore would have faced him and dropped the gloves, the refs would have been there to save him at some point.
Finally someone that can post with actually integrity, nice to see. :thumbup: --Carman