• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#41 cusimano_brothers

cusimano_brothers

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,615 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 03:00 PM

Kirk Maltby will become "The New Brad May".

"Mess up tomorrow, don't mess up now".

- Harry James Benson, CBE.

#42 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

Guys... if it's a two-way deal there is really no harm. If we are deep and don't need him, well then he will hang out in GR, if we have injuries or if some of our younger players lose their heads, well then we'll have a tried and true Red Wing available to call up.

Actually two way or one way doesn't really matter, he can be sent down on a one way contract, the only difference is he will be making the same money here or there. Two way means, he makes an AHL salary there and a NHL salary here. Either way, he probably wouldn't clear waivers, someone out there is looking for veteran experience and leadership, if Maltby has anything left, it's that. He knows how to win, he would bring a positive attitude to any dressing room and he is a leader on the ice. That being said, I really hope he doesn't re-sign. What's next, give Draper a two year extension? Just cut your ties now, if you really appreciate what Maltby has done for this team, save him the embarrassment of being sent to the minors, let him become a UFA July 1st and let him go play somewhere he may actually get NHL minutes, as for here, he has done all he can do, and being a 13th of 15th forward is just not worth him coming back, for HIM or the team.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#43 Broken 16

Broken 16

Bonecrushing Blueliner

• Gold Booster
  • 2,959 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

Actually two way or one way doesn't really matter, he can be sent down on a one way contract, the only difference is he will be making the same money here or there. Two way means, he makes an AHL salary there and a NHL salary here. Either way, he probably wouldn't clear waivers, someone out there is looking for veteran experience and leadership, if Maltby has anything left, it's that. He knows how to win, he would bring a positive attitude to any dressing room and he is a leader on the ice. That being said, I really hope he doesn't re-sign. What's next, give Draper a two year extension? Just cut your ties now, if you really appreciate what Maltby has done for this team, save him the embarrassment of being sent to the minors, let him become a UFA July 1st and let him go play somewhere he may actually get NHL minutes, as for here, he has done all he can do, and being a 13th of 15th forward is just not worth him coming back, for HIM or the team.

Why would he be embarrassed? If getting old is an embarrassment, then I guess I'm screwed. :ph34r:

I say let him play in GR if he wants to. I can think of worse things than having him as a black ace in the playoffs.

#44 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,298 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:43 PM

I think more than anything it's poor word choice by Khan in saying "contemplating" because that can imply a likelihood that it's going to happen.

The actual quote from holland just doesn't say anything that outrageous:

One guy we have to make a decision on is Kirk Maltby, Holland said. I like Maltby. Hes been a warrior. I think hes got some hockey left in him.

Maltby is a warrior and does have some hockey left in him. Just probably not in Detroit.

#45 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:48 PM

Agreed. Maltby's time is over, but if it's a 2 way deal he gets to stay with the organization, the organization gets to stay loyal to a warrior for the franchise, and we can still use him if need be, which is unlikely.

All hinging, of course, on whether Maltby is willing to play in the AHL, which I'm not sure he is. I'm sure he appreciates the effort Holland is making, but he must see the writing on the wall. And he DOES have hockey left in him at the NHL level...but he can't crack the Wings lineup anymore. But on a team like Edmonton or the Islanders, no problem. If he wants to stay in the NHL he'll probably reject the Wings offer, which also works out for everyone.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#46 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:08 PM

Maltby just texted me and said he's kicking all yer asses.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#47 wmubronco420

wmubronco420

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:10 PM

Agreed. Maltby's time is over, but if it's a 2 way deal he gets to stay with the organization, the organization gets to stay loyal to a warrior for the franchise, and we can still use him if need be, which is unlikely.

All hinging, of course, on whether Maltby is willing to play in the AHL, which I'm not sure he is. I'm sure he appreciates the effort Holland is making, but he must see the writing on the wall. And he DOES have hockey left in him at the NHL level...but he can't crack the Wings lineup anymore. But on a team like Edmonton or the Islanders, no problem. If he wants to stay in the NHL he'll probably reject the Wings offer, which also works out for everyone.

has nobody read the multiple posts in this thread about how 2-way deals work?

Posted Image

#48 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 10:15 PM

has nobody read the multiple posts in this thread about how 2-way deals work?

When does anyone really read more than the last couple anyway?

I can't source it, but I heard a mention that Maltby would not rule out Grand Rapids, if it came to that.

#49 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:27 PM

I love Malts,but its time for the younger guys to step in.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#50 Frozen-Man

Frozen-Man

Thanks for the memories

• Gold Booster
  • 1,579 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 09:01 AM

Why would he be embarrassed? If getting old is an embarrassment, then I guess I'm screwed. :ph34r:

I say let him play in GR if he wants to. I can think of worse things than having him as a black ace in the playoffs.

QFT!

"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

#51 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 10:45 AM

Maltby just texted me and said he's kicking all yer asses.

esteef

so they do read the forums.....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#52 NGKEIB

NGKEIB

eltit rebmem motsuC

• PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Trade Draper, keep Maltby.
"Summa pia gratia nostra conservando corpora et custodita, de gente fera Normannica nos libera, quae nostra vastat, Deus, regna."

#53 Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Bring Back The Bruise Bros

RIP Probie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,703 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:36 AM

Can we do a sign-and-trade type deal for Miller?I still think there's better options.
"Ice hockey is a form of disorderly conduct in which the score is kept."

RIP Bob Probert
RIP Wade Belak
RIP Derek Boogaard
RIP Rick Rypien

#54 HenryMalredo

HenryMalredo

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 776 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:39 AM

I know having an one way or two way deal doesn't effect waiver eligibility for a player Maltby's age, but, due to his age, if Maltby is on a one way deal and sent down, he would still count against the cap due to the 35 and older rule. But if he's on two-way contract couldn't he be sent down (obviously having to clear waivers, which I think he would) and not count against the cap?

#55 Hockey13Playa

Hockey13Playa

Here's my card.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,414 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 11:48 AM

Looks like someone went on a negative reputation binge.

Posted Image

#56 Pucks

Pucks

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:05 PM

NO THANKS! maltby had a great career for us, but it's time to move forward. Kenny needs to get used to the idea of letting the old guard go. Next season he'll need to do the same with Draper and Osgood. If we sign maltby, then we'll end up losing Ritola before we know what he is. It just wouldn't make any sense, kinda like signing Chelios that last season and losing "you know who".

I really hope he doesn't sign anyone else. It would be nice to have some breathing room under the cap.

Edited by Pucks, 18 June 2010 - 01:36 PM.

Welcome to the playoffs....where the games get better and the officiating gets worse.

#57 Krayzie_Bone

Krayzie_Bone

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 341 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 01:10 PM

I respect Maltby and whats hes done but He should not be re signed.

#58 RedFlag85

RedFlag85

Rookie

• Pip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 03:57 PM

Kenny's one glaring fault: Overwhelming Loyalty.

#59 CenterIce

CenterIce

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:40 PM

Kenny's one glaring fault: Overwhelming Loyalty.

It is not a fault, and the whole organization has it. That is why players, for the most part, want to play here.

#60 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 18 June 2010 - 05:46 PM

It is not a fault, and the whole organization has it. That is why players, for the most part, want to play here.

I'd say it's both strenght and weakness.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!