• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jasper84

Brett Lebda signs with Toronto

Rate this topic

Go back and note that I said "one of the only..."; yes, Kaberle is one of them, and he's indeed pretty much the only one with any significant offensive ability. Sadly for the Leafs, Kaberle cannot play both point positions on both power play units. White was quality, but he's gone. Phaneuf is, I will admit, decent, and Beauchemin can handle some offensive responsibility as well. However, half of the Leafs` d-corps in any given game will probably be incapable of any offense; Schenn, Komisarek and Finger are offensively incompetent.

This is the stage at which I laugh uproariously at the fact that the Leafs have more money tied up in defenseman ($28m) than they are currently spending on forwards ($22.5m) and still do not have anywhere near the best defensive corps in the league. The $7.35m expended on goaltending is also fairly amusing.

Great job, Burkie.

Well....you really only need three or four defencemen for the power play. So Kaberle and Gunnarsson can move the puck and set things up and Phaneuf and Beauchemin can shoot. Of the six regular defencemen, Schenn & Komisarek are the only two who probably can't be counted on for some offense. Schenn did show some offensive ability later in the year, but certainly not to the level where you would expect it to continue.

Not sure you can write off their blueline as not being one of the better ones without them having played a game yet. I think they should be pretty good on the back-end. $7.35 million in goaltending is no big deal because $6 million of it is Giguere's expiring contract. Sure beats Toskala.

Guest Crymson

Well....you really only need three or four defencemen for the power play. So Kaberle and Gunnarsson can move the puck and set things up and Phaneuf and Beauchemin can shoot. Of the six regular defencemen, Schenn & Komisarek are the only two who probably can't be counted on for some offense. Schenn did show some offensive ability later in the year, but certainly not to the level where you would expect it to continue.

Not sure you can write off their blueline as not being one of the better ones without them having played a game yet. I think they should be pretty good on the back-end. $7.35 million in goaltending is no big deal because $6 million of it is Giguere's expiring contract. Sure beats Toskala.

With the blueline you're listing, Lebda's $1.45m is being wasted.

With the blueline you're listing, Lebda's $1.45m is being wasted.

He's the number 7 defenseman based on depth, but he'll get to play because injuries are unavoidable. And when Lebda plays, he'll be on the 2nd powerplay unit, likely.

$1.45 million really isn't a big deal anymore...it's well under the league average salary.

Edited by MacK_Attack

Meh. Minor league lineup. All but 3, maybe 4 or 5 forwards will be with the Marlies.

Makes sense to put all of your scrubs with your captain to all share a merciless beat-down on the first ever game of the season for your fans who for the past year and a half have been told about how things are going to change in the Leafs franchise.

Word, yo.

Makes sense to put all of your scrubs with your captain to all share a merciless beat-down on the first ever game of the season for your fans who for the past year and a half have been told about how things are going to change in the Leafs franchise.

Word, yo.

They have the training camp roster split up into three teams. They're just rotating the first five games, since they play five days in a row.

They have the training camp roster split up into three teams. They're just rotating the first five games, since they play five days in a row.

All I'm saying is it seems stupid for the first game to put your captain with a bunch of nobodies (and Brett Lebda). At least put something respectable out there. I think Leafs fans deserve that much, at least.

All I'm saying is it seems stupid for the first game to put your captain with a bunch of nobodies (and Brett Lebda). At least put something respectable out there. I think Leafs fans deserve that much, at least.

There seems to be a concentrated effort to ice really bad squads for the first week of exhibition games. All three squads are weak because they're filled with AHL/ECHL/CHL players.

Don't know if it was because they went with the big guns right off the bat last year and the team won a bunch of games and they got too high, but they seem like they are just throwing the first five games away. I don't really care if they do or don't, exhibition games are so bloody meaningless.

I don't know what exactly the strategy is, but I've heard it's because they "want to see what they have" in the system.

He's the number 7 defenseman based on depth, but he'll get to play because injuries are unavoidable. And when Lebda plays, he'll be on the 2nd powerplay unit, likely.

$1.45 million really isn't a big deal anymore...it's well under the league average salary.

It is for a player that isn't even top 6 on the depth chart. Seems pretty obvious to me that every 500k counts in the salary cap era.

That being said... I think that Lebda has enough offensive instinct and plenty of speed. In a different system, he could really blossom when given the chance. Which would make him a bargain. His speed is pretty sick.

Edited by Broken 16

It is for a player that isn't even top 6 on the depth chart. Seems pretty obvious to me that every 500k counts in the salary cap era.

That being said... I think that Lebda has enough offensive instinct and plenty of speed. In a different system, he could really blossom when given the chance. Which would make him a bargain. His speed is pretty sick.

I would disagree only because the Leafs aren't a team who is going to be counting every dollar so that they have cap space to be a buyer at the deadline.

I would disagree only because the Leafs aren't a team who is going to be counting every dollar so that they have cap space to be a buyer at the deadline.

Gotcha. In that case I hope he takes advantage of his chances and has a good season. I always rooted for him.

Guest Crymson

Many people here treat Draper's $1.65m as, in the genuine words of one, "an anchor around this team's neck."

Then again, many people on these boards are spoiled perfectionists.

Guest Four

hahaha - good riddance

Stat line for tonight's game against Ottawa:

Player G A PTS +/- TOI

Lebda 0 0 0 -2 20:23

Enjoy watching that all season Toronto...

I was at the game. He was also on the ice for at least the first PPG for Ottawa

Kaberle

Even when paired with one of the top d-men in the league, Lebda is horrendous... look at last night, no Lebda, they win 4-1... it's a sign, haha

but seriously, his signing may have very possibly been the single worst signing of the off-season by ANY team and that even rivals the bloated price tag and length that Boogard got from NY...

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to have a disliking for this Brett Lebda fellow :unsure:

I don't dislike him personally and to be honest, he seems like a great guy off the ice... I just REALLY hate his game and think that he is WAY overpaid, especially when better players don't have contracts and/or have to go overseas to get work... if he were making league minimum, I still wouldn't want him taking a roster spot in Detroit, but wouldn't find his horrendous play as funny... I am actually happy for the guy that he got a payday elsewhere and I'm really laughing at Leafs management, not Lebda...

I don't dislike him personally and to be honest, he seems like a great guy off the ice... I just REALLY hate his game and think that he is WAY overpaid, especially when better players don't have contracts and/or have to go overseas to get work... if he were making league minimum, I still wouldn't want him taking a roster spot in Detroit, but wouldn't find his horrendous play as funny... I am actually happy for the guy that he got a payday elsewhere and I'm really laughing at Leafs management, not Lebda...

To me, Him and Williams always looked like your typical Abercrombie and Fitch wanna be ****** bags.

From Toronto Star :

23 Brett Lebda

I wore 22 for the last five years in Detroit. Before that, in college, I wore 13. So I got here and (Beauchemin) had 22. I just decided to put 22 and 13 together and take 23, so it kind of just fell in place. I try to find significance in it. It’s something you carry with your name on the back of your jersey.