• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Jasper84

Brett Lebda signs with Toronto

Rate this topic

And Lebda just coughed up the puck at his own blue line, surrendering a breakaway to Marcel Goc who beats Giggy.

Worst part is that it was a SHG. Lebda shouldn't be seeing any PP time.

I hear ya, but honestly I think it's a lot for a known quantity like Lebda. There is not really a lot of untapped potential or upside. Lilja and Salei are two guys I'd put in the lineup over Lebda, and they're both making less than a million.

I just really dont' understand this signing for that much money. If they hoped he would fulfill a larger role and then realized how limited he was, or what.

Salei actually makes $1.1m, but that's still less than Lebda.

A few names from around the NHL with sub-$1m contracts who are better than Lebda. Entry level contracts are not included:

Paul Mara

Mark Giordano

Nick Boynton

Kyle Cumiskey

Andy Greene

Ryan Parent

And from the Wings:

Jonathan Ericsson

Jakub Kindl

Derek Meech

Doug Janik

There's plenty more out there making less than a million who are above, at, or close to Lebda's level. Lebda being signed for that much is an atrocious overpayment. He's getting probably more than twice what he should.

Salei actually makes $1.1m, but that's still less than Lebda.

A few names from around the NHL with sub-$1m contracts who are better than Lebda. Entry level contracts are not included:

Paul Mara

Mark Giordano

Nick Boynton

Kyle Cumiskey

Andy Greene

Ryan Parent

And from the Wings:

Jonathan Ericsson

Jakub Kindl

Derek Meech

Doug Janik

There's plenty more out there making less than a million who are above, at, or close to Lebda's level. Lebda being signed for that much is an atrocious overpayment. He's getting probably more than twice what he should.

I dont know about Meech. Lebda held down an NHL job with the wings at least. Meech did nothing except lose us Quincy (along with Chelios)

I dont know about Meech. Lebda held down an NHL job with the wings at least. Meech did nothing except lose us Quincy (along with Chelios)

Meech and Lebda play a similar style of game, except that Meech actually knows about the defensive zone and can play defensively if necessary. The main reason Meech never took Lebda's spot is that the two were so similar, and the two were always close enough that it wasn't going to just be handed over to Meech.

As for Quincey; Meech did lose us Quincey, but only because Meech outplayed Quincey consistently while they were together in our system.

Guest Heaten

Holland should have re-signed Lebda for $850k and traded him to Toronto for a bunch of picks and prospects. It would have saved Burke some cap space. win/win :ph34r:

We laugh now. Yet I'm definitely afraid that once his contract is up, and let's say Lebda shows his worth as more of a veteran's minimum (if that) kind of player, then Kenny will offer him a contract to be a #6 or #7 defenseman. It'll be like Jason Williams all over again.

We laugh now. Yet I'm definitely afraid that once his contract is up, and let's say Lebda shows his worth as more of a veteran's minimum (if that) kind of player, then Kenny will offer him a contract to be a #6 or #7 defenseman. It'll be like Jason Williams all over again.

I doubt it. This time around we have good depth in the D pipeline even after a few of our players retire. He will end up like Dandenault retired by the age of 34.

Guest Crymson

You act as if Holland is incompetent.

In other news, Ritola is currently a -5 and has the same two points he had way back when.

Edited by Crymson

I only find this amusing because I remember him doing an interview when he just started with the Leafs. He said something along the lines of, "Detroit was great, but Toronto is the hockey capital of the world".

Well Brett, enjoying the hockey capital? Better bring some bear mace when you're anywhere in public.