64 replies to this topic

#1 weGotTheCup89

weGotTheCup89

This is for the Wings fans!

• PipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:49 PM

http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=6053814
There was a thread showing the possibility of this the other day, but I'd like to have a discussion on whether this will change the NHL's policy of forcing players to attend the ASG, as opposed to the player being discussed being able to get away with anything. Mods, please delete if you find the thread redundant.
Q: Of all the individual trophies you have not won, which one would you most like to win?
Datsyuk: I have so many of them that I haven't won. I think I would most like to win a trophy to the best goaltending duo.

#2 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 12:52 PM

He has a concussion for f***'s sake. He has missed a lot of games for the Pens now, probably around 10. I don't think he is required to play in the ASG WITH A FREAKING CONCUSSION.

Also, Z was not suspended, it was Dats and Lids. Dats missed 1 period before the ASG, Crosby has missed ~10 games!!!

#3 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

He has a concussion for f***'s sake. He has missed a lot of games for the Pens now, probably around 10. I don't think he is required to play in the ASG WITH A FREAKING CONCUSSION.

Also, Z was not suspended, it was Dats and Lids. Dats missed 1 period before the ASG, Crosby has missed ~10 games!!!

They were suspended for not showing up, not for not playing... just because he's injured, doesn't mean he can't show up for the festivities... if that was their stance last year when Lids and Dats got suspended, it should be their stance this year too... the league can't just arbitrarily hand our punishment without maintaining consistency - THAT is part of what makes them such a Mickey Mouse league when it comes to their leadership...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think any player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Edited by stevkrause, 24 January 2011 - 01:04 PM.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#4 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:09 PM

They were suspended for not showing up, not for not playing... just because he's injured, doesn't mean he can't show up for the festivities... if that was their stance last year when Lids and Dats got suspended, it should be their stance this year too... the league can't just arbitrarily hand our punishment without maintaining consistency - THAT is part of what makes them such a Mickey Mouse league when it comes to their leadership...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think any player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

#5 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:11 PM

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

Here, let me try this again, since you seemed to miss it the first time...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think ANY player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#6 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:13 PM

It was stupid to suspend Lids/Dats anyways, but if there was a line drawn on what injuries could keep someone out of the ASG festivities I believe it would be a concussion, not a charley horse.

Good to see Crosby stills incites the posting adrenaline here at LGW though. :thumbup:

#7 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:14 PM

The Penguins actually released today that they decided (not "Crosby decided", since they wanted to avoid that controversy of his alleged "boycott") he won't be showing up for the festivities either.

If Crosby wasn't sitting the game before the ASG or the game after the ASG (as he probably will, unless he recovers by then), I could understand the calls for suspension. That was part of Bettman's ruling on that - if you don't attend the festivities, you are required to sit either the game immediately before or immediately after the ASG.

You guys know I'm not at all one to defend Golden Boy, but this is one of those situations (rare though they may be :P) where the cries of "BIAS! BIAS!" are unwarranted.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#8 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:25 PM

The Penguins actually released today that they decided (not "Crosby decided", since they wanted to avoid that controversy of his alleged "boycott") he won't be showing up for the festivities either.

If Crosby wasn't sitting the game before the ASG or the game after the ASG (as he probably will, unless he recovers by then), I could understand the calls for suspension. That was part of Bettman's ruling on that - if you don't attend the festivities, you are required to sit either the game immediately before or immediately after the ASG.

You guys know I'm not at all one to defend Golden Boy, but this is one of those situations (rare though they may be :P) where the cries of "BIAS! BIAS!" are unwarranted.

Am I in the Twilight Zone here... how does everyone keep continually glossing over the guts of my post?!?

EDIT - for the record, I don't think ANY player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#9 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:27 PM

There is a clear difference of injuries, a concussion can be worsened greatly by the environment surrounding the All Star game, while non-concussion injuries aren't affected as much be the added media/fans/noise etc.

#10 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

Am I in the Twilight Zone here... how does everyone keep continually glossing over the guts of my post?!?

I don't understand how you can expect Crosby to show up and attend all the events this weekend.

For those of you calling for a suspension, that's Red Wing Homerism at its finest.

#11 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:30 PM

I see what you're saying. In some ways, it's definitely a double standard. But anybody who has ever had or known someone with a concussion before knows that you just aren't yourself. It's a lot more challenging to go and talk with fans and have flashing camera lights in your face with a concussion than it is with a charlie horse.

#12 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:31 PM

The conditions for the suspension were that they didn't miss the game before the All-Star break. It was stupid because Datsyuk missed the last period of a close game that he would never have missed if he had been well, but it fell within their rule anyways; Lidstrom didn't miss any time before the ASG. Crosby obviously fulfills the condition since he's been out for a while.

So it doesn't compare, but it didn't really in '09 either. Consider: Crosby is essentially just a boy, living in Mario's basement; the only obligation he has is sitting on his ass and playing Halo. Datsyuk and Lidstrom are men, they have families and probably had plans and vacations in the works before the league threw their dumbass, hastily constructed ASG suspensions at them.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#13 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:53 PM

I don't understand how you can expect Crosby to show up and attend all the events this weekend.

For those of you calling for a suspension, that's Red Wing Homerism at its finest.

ok, you're clearly just messing with me by this point...

I see what you're saying. In some ways, it's definitely a double standard. But anybody who has ever had or known someone with a concussion before knows that you just aren't yourself. It's a lot more challenging to go and talk with fans and have flashing camera lights in your face with a concussion than it is with a charlie horse.

That's not the point I was making though, I was basically just playing Devil's Advocate... once again, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think ANY player should be required to participate in the ASG if injured, regardless of the severity of the injury - I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

Edited by stevkrause, 24 January 2011 - 01:53 PM.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#14 Wing Across The Pond

Wing Across The Pond

Gabriel's Wings

• Silver Booster
  • 744 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 01:59 PM

That's not the point I was making though, I was basically just playing Devil's Advocate... once again, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think ANY player should be required to participate in the ASG if injured, regardless of the severity of the injury - I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

How could you stevkrause! Have a heart :ph34r: :hehe:

But yeah, he shouldn't be going. As we all saw with Lilja, even when concussions seem like they're getting better, they may not be.

Posted Image

Check out my blog -The Heid-Out- a cynical mans take on everyday life

#15 Jersey Wing

Jersey Wing

Watching Eastern Conference hockey before it was cool...

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,096 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:04 PM

NO, sorry, it's time Bettman has to get grief for his double standard.

Bettman made this all about 'showing up' last year. The NHL had no issue with Lidstrom and Datsyuk not playing (and Pavel was every bit as injured and unable to go as Crosby this year), it was about showing up. We heard that ad nauseum from the NHL as to why the suspensions HAD to happen.

So, concussion or NOT, Crosby has to go or be suspended.

There is NO middle ground here per Gary Bettman. Don't like my viewpoint? Call the NHL...

Edited by Jersey Wing, 24 January 2011 - 02:04 PM.

14767451334_8f0d14d8cb_o.jpg

#16 Selliria

Selliria

3rd Line Checker

• Bronze Booster
  • 493 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:06 PM

I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

The NHL is either dumb or they don't think about their rules too much before they write them. There's loopholes in everything.

I can't even imagine what the league would be like if they were completely consistent with their rulings/calls. I'd probably die of shock. :P

#17 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 02:08 PM

The NHL is either dumb or they don't think about their rules too much before they write them. There's loopholes in everything.

I can't even imagine what the league would be like if they were completely consistent with their rulings/calls. I'd probably die of shock. :P

EXACTLY.

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

#18 nosyt612

nosyt612

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 219 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:03 PM

Your not even stating the rule right. They got suspended because they were only skipping the all star game and had no games missed do to injury. Crosby has missed 10 or so, and most likely will not be playing after the game either. I don't like that rule either, but Crosby doesn't even fit the rule.

#19 Schmack

Schmack

Jr. Prospect

• 25 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:14 PM

Correct, there is no double standard. It'd be as if Zetterberg was named to the All-Star team this year and decided on his own accord not to go, he'd be suspended. Why? Because he officially isn't injured even though he has an ailing back, he isn't officially announced with an injury with the team.

Crosby has been stated to be injured and appeared on an injury report with the Penguins.

Please understand the rules before you try to make an argument topic thread like this.

#20 under_par_00

under_par_00

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts

Posted 24 January 2011 - 03:20 PM

Haha, sorry, I really wasn't messing with you. The original post got me all rattled, and then you came in. I initially thought this thread was about a new player getting injured and not going to the ASG. When I clicked the link and saw that it was about Crosby, I lost my marbles.

/thread