• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

weGotTheCup89

ASG Starter "to stay home" due to injury

Rate this topic

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/allstar2011/news/story?id=6053814

There was a thread showing the possibility of this the other day, but I'd like to have a discussion on whether this will change the NHL's policy of forcing players to attend the ASG, as opposed to the player being discussed being able to get away with anything. Mods, please delete if you find the thread redundant.

He has a concussion for f***'s sake. He has missed a lot of games for the Pens now, probably around 10. I don't think he is required to play in the ASG WITH A FREAKING CONCUSSION.

Also, Z was not suspended, it was Dats and Lids. Dats missed 1 period before the ASG, Crosby has missed ~10 games!!!

He has a concussion for f***'s sake. He has missed a lot of games for the Pens now, probably around 10. I don't think he is required to play in the ASG WITH A FREAKING CONCUSSION.

Also, Z was not suspended, it was Dats and Lids. Dats missed 1 period before the ASG, Crosby has missed ~10 games!!!

They were suspended for not showing up, not for not playing... just because he's injured, doesn't mean he can't show up for the festivities... if that was their stance last year when Lids and Dats got suspended, it should be their stance this year too... the league can't just arbitrarily hand our punishment without maintaining consistency - THAT is part of what makes them such a Mickey Mouse league when it comes to their leadership...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think any player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Edited by stevkrause

They were suspended for not showing up, not for not playing... just because he's injured, doesn't mean he can't show up for the festivities... if that was their stance last year when Lids and Dats got suspended, it should be their stance this year too... the league can't just arbitrarily hand our punishment without maintaining consistency - THAT is part of what makes them such a Mickey Mouse league when it comes to their leadership...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think any player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

Crosby has a concussion, he is still not practicing and has missed a lot of games.

Datsyuk had a charlie horse that caused him to miss 1 period before the ASG. Lidstrom had tendinitis and missed no time. I think Crosby's condition is a little more serious, and it's probably not a good idea to attend an event like this with an injury as serious as his.

We all know the Wings, Holland, Datsyuk, and Lidstrom were "embellishing" the injuries to allow them more time to rest. Get over it OP.

Here, let me try this again, since you seemed to miss it the first time...

EDIT - for the record, I don't think ANY player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

It was stupid to suspend Lids/Dats anyways, but if there was a line drawn on what injuries could keep someone out of the ASG festivities I believe it would be a concussion, not a charley horse.

Good to see Crosby stills incites the posting adrenaline here at LGW though. :thumbup:

The Penguins actually released today that they decided (not "Crosby decided", since they wanted to avoid that controversy of his alleged "boycott") he won't be showing up for the festivities either.

If Crosby wasn't sitting the game before the ASG or the game after the ASG (as he probably will, unless he recovers by then), I could understand the calls for suspension. That was part of Bettman's ruling on that - if you don't attend the festivities, you are required to sit either the game immediately before or immediately after the ASG.

You guys know I'm not at all one to defend Golden Boy, but this is one of those situations (rare though they may be :P) where the cries of "BIAS! BIAS!" are unwarranted.

The Penguins actually released today that they decided (not "Crosby decided", since they wanted to avoid that controversy of his alleged "boycott") he won't be showing up for the festivities either.

If Crosby wasn't sitting the game before the ASG or the game after the ASG (as he probably will, unless he recovers by then), I could understand the calls for suspension. That was part of Bettman's ruling on that - if you don't attend the festivities, you are required to sit either the game immediately before or immediately after the ASG.

You guys know I'm not at all one to defend Golden Boy, but this is one of those situations (rare though they may be :P) where the cries of "BIAS! BIAS!" are unwarranted.

Am I in the Twilight Zone here... how does everyone keep continually glossing over the guts of my post?!?

EDIT - for the record, I don't think ANY player should be suspended for staying home if they are injured, it's just the double standard I am pointing out...

Am I in the Twilight Zone here... how does everyone keep continually glossing over the guts of my post?!?

I don't understand how you can expect Crosby to show up and attend all the events this weekend.

For those of you calling for a suspension, that's Red Wing Homerism at its finest.

I see what you're saying. In some ways, it's definitely a double standard. But anybody who has ever had or known someone with a concussion before knows that you just aren't yourself. It's a lot more challenging to go and talk with fans and have flashing camera lights in your face with a concussion than it is with a charlie horse.

The conditions for the suspension were that they didn't miss the game before the All-Star break. It was stupid because Datsyuk missed the last period of a close game that he would never have missed if he had been well, but it fell within their rule anyways; Lidstrom didn't miss any time before the ASG. Crosby obviously fulfills the condition since he's been out for a while.

So it doesn't compare, but it didn't really in '09 either. Consider: Crosby is essentially just a boy, living in Mario's basement; the only obligation he has is sitting on his ass and playing Halo. Datsyuk and Lidstrom are men, they have families and probably had plans and vacations in the works before the league threw their dumbass, hastily constructed ASG suspensions at them.

I don't understand how you can expect Crosby to show up and attend all the events this weekend.

For those of you calling for a suspension, that's Red Wing Homerism at its finest.

ok, you're clearly just messing with me by this point...

I see what you're saying. In some ways, it's definitely a double standard. But anybody who has ever had or known someone with a concussion before knows that you just aren't yourself. It's a lot more challenging to go and talk with fans and have flashing camera lights in your face with a concussion than it is with a charlie horse.

That's not the point I was making though, I was basically just playing Devil's Advocate... once again, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think ANY player should be required to participate in the ASG if injured, regardless of the severity of the injury - I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

Edited by stevkrause

That's not the point I was making though, I was basically just playing Devil's Advocate... once again, not to beat a dead horse, but I don't think ANY player should be required to participate in the ASG if injured, regardless of the severity of the injury - I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

How could you stevkrause! Have a heart :ph34r::hehe:

But yeah, he shouldn't be going. As we all saw with Lilja, even when concussions seem like they're getting better, they may not be.

NO, sorry, it's time Bettman has to get grief for his double standard.

Bettman made this all about 'showing up' last year. The NHL had no issue with Lidstrom and Datsyuk not playing (and Pavel was every bit as injured and unable to go as Crosby this year), it was about showing up. We heard that ad nauseum from the NHL as to why the suspensions HAD to happen.

So, concussion or NOT, Crosby has to go or be suspended.

There is NO middle ground here per Gary Bettman. Don't like my viewpoint? Call the NHL...

Edited by Jersey Wing

I was just pointing out the inconsistency...

The NHL is either dumb or they don't think about their rules too much before they write them. There's loopholes in everything.

I can't even imagine what the league would be like if they were completely consistent with their rulings/calls. I'd probably die of shock. :P

The NHL is either dumb or they don't think about their rules too much before they write them. There's loopholes in everything.

I can't even imagine what the league would be like if they were completely consistent with their rulings/calls. I'd probably die of shock. :P

EXACTLY.

Your not even stating the rule right. They got suspended because they were only skipping the all star game and had no games missed do to injury. Crosby has missed 10 or so, and most likely will not be playing after the game either. I don't like that rule either, but Crosby doesn't even fit the rule.

Correct, there is no double standard. It'd be as if Zetterberg was named to the All-Star team this year and decided on his own accord not to go, he'd be suspended. Why? Because he officially isn't injured even though he has an ailing back, he isn't officially announced with an injury with the team.

Crosby has been stated to be injured and appeared on an injury report with the Penguins.

Please understand the rules before you try to make an argument topic thread like this.

Haha, sorry, I really wasn't messing with you. The original post got me all rattled, and then you came in. I initially thought this thread was about a new player getting injured and not going to the ASG. When I clicked the link and saw that it was about Crosby, I lost my marbles.

/thread

Your not even stating the rule right. They got suspended because they were only skipping the all star game and had no games missed do to injury. Crosby has missed 10 or so, and most likely will not be playing after the game either. I don't like that rule either, but Crosby doesn't even fit the rule.

Correct, there is no double standard. It'd be as if Zetterberg was named to the All-Star team this year and decided on his own accord not to go, he'd be suspended. Why? Because he officially isn't injured even though he has an ailing back, he isn't officially announced with an injury with the team.

Crosby has been stated to be injured and appeared on an injury report with the Penguins.

Please understand the rules before you try to make an argument topic thread like this.

Exactly what I was saying. I hate having to actually - ugh - defend Crosby, but this is one of those cases where it's pretty cut and dry.

It's not a double standard in the slightest. A foot injury keeps you confined to crutches or a chair. A hurting back keeps you constraint to a chair and/or pain killers.

What are you going to do with a concussion? Tell the guy to put on sun glasses and keep his eyes closed to keep away bright lights?

Again, not a double standard. The Crosby hate on this board is at an all time high.

It's not a double standard in the slightest. A foot injury keeps you confined to crutches or a chair. A hurting back keeps you constraint to a chair and/or pain killers.

What are you going to do with a concussion? Tell the guy to put on sun glasses and keep his eyes closed to keep away bright lights?

Again, not a double standard. The Crosby hate on this board is at an all time high.

It's not like it is fresh, or that it was a compound concussion and all signs, of all reports, point to him being cleared for workouts by this weekend - It's not like he's confined to bedrest... once again, as I've said ad nauseum, I'm not saying he should have to show up, play, or even sit in a chair and sign autographs, the guy was/is hurt and has a good reason to not be there, but lets not go too far in the other direction of defending him, you make it out to be like he's on his death bed... and, yes, it still is a double standard when it comes to the festivities and not the game.

Guest Howard He Do It?!

Crosby will be missing the game before the all star game and most likely the game after. There is no double standard here and Crosby should not be suspended. However, Crosby is a big complainer.

But the Toronto Globe and Mail reported last week that “word is filtering out of the Penguin camp that Crosby is an angry young man, angry enough to pull his considerable presence from the All-Star game because he doesn’t think the NHL is doing enough to protect its star players.”

My link

Talk about an inflated self-worth.

It's not like it is fresh, or that it was a compound concussion and all signs, of all reports, point to him being cleared for workouts by this weekend - It's not like he's confined to bedrest... once again, as I've said ad nauseum, I'm not saying he should have to show up, play, or even sit in a chair and sign autographs, the guy was/is hurt and has a good reason to not be there, but lets not go too far in the other direction of defending him, you make it out to be like he's on his death bed... and, yes, it still is a double standard when it comes to the festivities and not the game.

Stop saying it's a double standard. You don't understand the rule(i think it's a stupid rule as well). The rule is for people who just skip the all star game and miss no games do to injury. He has been OUT FOR TEN GAMES, and most likely will miss more after. His is not in violation of the rule what so ever.