• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

adamic

Is the Islanders GM the dumbest GM in NHL history

Rate this topic

This has to be the most idiotic GM in my lifetime. Really, who would join the Islanders at this point unless you were fresh out of college or been playing in the minors. IMHO, the guy made a fool out of his club and state. Did he call and ask if he'd be interested? NO. Why would a team that has no hope in hell of making the playoffs want an old goaltender that wouldn't give a rats ass even if he did play for them. This guy needs to go back to the minors or get a managers job at a gas station. I'm so embarrassed for the Islanders players and coaches it isn't funny. Maybe if they were in the same conference and playing defense I would get it. :huh:

Edited by adamic

I would say Garth Snow isn't even the Islanders' worst GM ever, let alone the NHL's worst. Just check out Mike Milbury's tenure with the Islanders.

Here of some of his famous trades...

However, Milbury has also been criticized for the many decisions he made in which payroll or orders for upper management were not factors. Many young players and prospects that Milbury traded away went on to have distinguished careers, often eclipsing those of the players he received in return. He has traded away defensemen Zdeno Chara, Wade Redden, Bryan Berard, Eric Brewer, Darius Kasparaitis, and Bryan McCabe; goalies Roberto Luongo and Tommy Salo, as well as forwards Olli Jokinen, Todd Bertuzzi, Tim Connolly, and Raffi Torres. Milbury has also come under fire for his draft day decisions such as choosing Rick DiPietro first overall in 2000 over Dany Heatley and Marian Gaborik; as well as his decision to include the 2001 second overall draft pick (Jason Spezza) as part of the Alexei Yashin trade.
Edited by hockey23

Garth Snow made a decision to add a very good goaltender whose cap hit is $570k, and would cost him absolutely nothing in assets. This was a very unpopular decision with Red Wings fans as it was a waiver acquisition and took said goaltender away from the Red Wings. The goaltender has since refused to play for the Islanders, which has resulted in his being suspended by his team. If he remains suspended his contract will be pushed over into next season, as the Islanders had a player signed to an NHL contract who then refused to honor that contract and play for them. This simply gives Snow a high value tradeable asset to improve his team with, something he was able to acquire for nothing.

I said even before the Isles claimed Nabby that I thought a team might claim him with the hope that he doesn't report, and after the Isles picked him up I have said that I believe that to be the case here. While the Isles certainly had every legitimate reason to want to add a guy like Nabby, you need 90+ points to make it into the playoffs nowadays and the Isles are sitting at 37 points of 49 games. That means they would need to take 53 of a possible 66 points remaining to make the playoffs. They'd need a minimum of 20 wins, and then would need to get 13+ points in the other 13 games.

Nabokov might be up to it if he's having a great run. Kipper had one of those for Calgary and kept it on right into the playoffs. Mason had one for Columbus and the hype got him the Calder, as well as very high in Vezina and Hart voting. But more than likely Snow was betting on Nabokov sitting out and going into the summer without having played a minute.

It wasn't a stupid move to try and pick him up, but it's stupid to try and make him play by suspending him. If not stupid, a dick move.

If they don't suspend him, his contract expires at the end of the season.

If he is suspended, precedent and NHL rule state that he will "owe" the Islanders one year of service at $570k with all the same terms. Nabokov likely still won't want to play for them, and we see a trade.

It wasn't stupid because he either loses Nabokov by not suspending him, or suspends him and keeps him.

It wasn't a dick move because Nabby knew the rules going in, and most likely understands that he will be starting out in New York next year. The only dick move was for Nabby to not report after the Isles' waiver claim.

This has to be the most idiotic GM in my lifetime. Really, who would join the Islanders at this point unless you were fresh out of college or been playing in the minors. IMHO, the guy made a fool out of his club and state. Did he call and ask if he'd be interested? NO. Why would a team that has no hope in hell of making the playoffs want an old goaltender that wouldn't give a rats ass even if he did play for them. This guy needs to go back to the minors or get a managers job at a gas station. I'm so embarrassed for the Islanders players and coaches it isn't funny. Maybe if they were in the same conference and playing defense I would get it. :huh:

Nah, most of the State of New York claims the Rangers or the Sabers as their team. The Islanders is who you see if tickets to the other two teams are sold out :-p

It was pretty lame of them. If they were a playoff contender, it might make sense. But it seems like they just pretty much wanted to get the last laugh.

It will bite them in the ass, eventually.

(I assume you're talking about Nabokov.....since you never really clarified in your hate rant :))

Who was the Rangers GM just recently who signed Gomez, Drury, Redden etc to massive terrible contracts?

If they don't suspend him, his contract expires at the end of the season.

If he is suspended, precedent and NHL rule state that he will "owe" the Islanders one year of service at $570k with all the same terms. Nabokov likely still won't want to play for them, and we see a trade.

It wasn't stupid because he either loses Nabokov by not suspending him, or suspends him and keeps him.

It wasn't a dick move because Nabby knew the rules going in, and most likely understands that he will be starting out in New York next year. The only dick move was for Nabby to not report after the Isles' waiver claim.

It was very stupid because he just took another step towards gaining favoritism with players in the NHL. Not to mention half the leagues agent by doing this. it was very very very stupid.

Who was the Rangers GM just recently who signed Gomez, Drury, Redden etc to massive terrible contracts?

It was very stupid because he just took another step towards gaining favoritism with players in the NHL. Not to mention half the leagues agent by doing this. it was very very very stupid.

haha so true about the rangers. drurys making what 6-7mil and hes playing 4th line! i almost s*** myself when i saw drury makes 7 mil for what 40ppts? 6 mil redden played 2 seasons on the 3rd d pairing then was forced out. and gomez getting close to 8 mil to put up 60 pts. far worse than the islanders.

Edited by brett

It was a smart move. Eva pointed out the reasons why in the first paragraph of her post.

In addition (and for the OP specifically), it's not part of Garth Snow's mandate to take Red Wings fan's feelings into consideration when making decisions about the New York Islanders.

Edited by Chairman Maouth

It was a smart move. Eva pointed out the reasons why in the first paragraph of her post.

In addition (and for the OP specifically), it's not part of Garth Snow's mandate to take Red Wings fan's feelings into consideration when making decisions about the New York Islanders.

It is, however, smart to take into account that screwing over free agents tends to make other free agents not want to play for a poorly run organization. Short term benefit, *maybe* he can turn Nabby into a draft pick or something next season *if* the league allows them to toll the contract. Long term, players tell their agents that the Isles are off the table when they become FAs. But hey, he doesn't need to have players going forward. As long as he can screw over one goalie now, right?

Hands down, in the modern era, Mike Milbury is/was the worst GM. He's the Matt Millen of hockey.

the similarities are striking.

milbury climbs into the new york ranger stands with his skates on and beats somebody to death with their own shoe.

nhl_g_milbury_576.jpg

millen cold-***** the GM of the patriots, a man about 1/4 his weight and size, killing him instantly.

tumblr_ld8cilzTpZ1qdvr71o1_500.jpg

Edited by drumshanbo

It is, however, smart to take into account that screwing over free agents tends to make other free agents not want to play for a poorly run organization. Short term benefit, *maybe* he can turn Nabby into a draft pick or something next season *if* the league allows them to toll the contract. Long term, players tell their agents that the Isles are off the table when they become FAs. But hey, he doesn't need to have players going forward. As long as he can screw over one goalie now, right?

I think it's arguable regarding who's screwing who. I'm sure Snow would prefer that Nabby report to the team and play rather than not. In my opinion, the only people being screwed are the Islanders and their fans (for many reasons of course). Also, if I were an Islander player I'd make a point of aiming high on Nabokov if I should ever face him again in the NHL.

The rules are there and Snow made use of them. In my opinion the Islanders have far deeper problems than any potential fall-out from this situation; new ownership (Wang doesn't even want to be there) and a new arena for starters. Besides, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of players are beginning to see Nabokov as a bit of a flake who can't make up his mind where he wants to play anymore and even in what league. The problem is, he's not in a position to call the shots anymore and not reporting to a team may not help with that judgement.

I would say Garth Snow isn't even the Islanders' worst GM ever, let alone the NHL's worst. Just check out Mike Milbury's tenure with the Islanders.

Here of some of his famous trades...

Ding. ding. ding - Milbury will undoubtedly go down as the worst GM in NHL history, he was to the NHL, what Matt Millen is to the NFL

I can't wait till the offer sheets come rolling in for all of Snow's RFAs. Good times. Hey, it's all above the board, and being done the right way. Bye Tavares and Okposo.

I honestly think it's less the fault of Snow and more the fault of Charles Wang. Garth Snow is just a figurehead, a puppet through which Wang runs the team into the ground.

MELVILLE, N.Y. -- New York Islanders owner Charles Wang says he regrets buying the money-losing NHL team nine years ago.

"If I had the chance I wouldn't do it again," Wang told Newsday.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=4129484

Not the type of owner you want. He's essentially Nabokov in an expensive suit. Neither of them want to be an Islander.

I think it's arguable regarding who's screwing who. I'm sure Snow would prefer that Nabby report to the team and play rather than not. In my opinion, the only people being screwed are the Islanders and their fans (for many reasons of course). Also, if I were an Islander player I'd make a point of aiming high on Nabokov if I should ever face him again in the NHL.

The rules are there and Snow made use of them. In my opinion the Islanders have far deeper problems than any potential fall-out from this situation; new ownership (Wang doesn't even want to be there) and a new arena for starters. Besides, I wouldn't be at all surprised if a lot of players are beginning to see Nabokov as a bit of a flake who can't make up his mind where he wants to play anymore and even in what league. The problem is, he's not in a position to call the shots anymore and not reporting to a team may not help with that judgement.

no the problem is again he signed with the wings..not with the isle. im sure if some how you were in that spot you would be pissed as well. signing with the best team in the league then being claimed by the worse. its a stupid rule of the cba and you know it is. if you say its not then you are lying. he signed a legal contract with a team. then because of some stupid rule that shouldn't be there in the first place he gets claimed by a team that he has no desire to go to.